PDA

View Full Version : My computer is possessed

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 12th, 2004, 03:32:29 PM
I THINK I AM GOING TO GO INSANE. My PC has contracted some idiot illness that makes it lock up and restart itself, refuse to boot, and randomly not recognise USB devices. In the past couple of weeks, I have system-restored more times than is healthy.

Help, anyone?

Rognan Dar
Jan 12th, 2004, 03:34:34 PM
Wow...I have never heard of anything like that...think it might be a virus that you could have gotten? Thats all I can think of... (oh course I'm no copmuter geek either...)

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 12th, 2004, 03:35:21 PM
Yeah. It probably is a virus. I don't have any anti-virus software, though. So if that's what people think it is, I'll need a free program.

Abagael Zellan
Jan 12th, 2004, 03:36:44 PM
:hug

^

(this is a substitute for the computer knowledge i cannot offer you)

Morgan Evanar
Jan 12th, 2004, 04:31:35 PM
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

-smack- hellooooo you should ask when things get wonky.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 12th, 2004, 04:32:48 PM
I was hoping I could be clever and solve it myself ._.

Thanks. I'll install that tomorrow. :)

Rognan Dar
Jan 12th, 2004, 04:36:14 PM
There you go, trying to be clever. Just like everyone else. Didn't you see what SWFans.net says in his 'Who's online' section? It says something about not being like Rognan Dar. And he's right. :lol

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 13th, 2004, 07:45:51 AM
I hope it worked :)

Shawn
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:55:51 AM
Do you get a message about Remote Procedure Call? Because it sounds like the MSBlast virus. Check your processes (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) to see if either MSBlast.exe or Teekids.exe are running. If they are, nuke them. Then, run this little baby (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html).

Good luck.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:17:35 AM
I didn't get that RPC message, no. Check it out (attachment).

I had worms, trojans, back doors, dialers (:huh), God knows what else.

EDIT- ARGH!!! I don't understand. It just did the thing where it locks up when I click the start button AGAIN!!! >_<

Shawn
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:36:45 AM
Perhaps the damage has already been done. May want to consider reformatting. And seriously considering which programs you use to download stuff from the internet.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:40:46 AM
I tried what you recommended Shawn, and it said it couldn't find that worm. AVG keeps on throwing up new virus alerts. :cry

Morgan Evanar
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:44:00 AM
Did you do a full scan?

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:46:15 AM
Yeah. 'Run Complete Test'. After the test was done, more little warnings popped up. I'm scanning again now. :\

edit - it's found another 123 already... :cry

Morgan Evanar
Jan 13th, 2004, 11:23:21 AM
Flatten and reinstall. Holy crap, you need your own computer.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:11:22 PM
:hug Good luck Jenneh!!

TheHolo.Net
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:13:24 PM
Firewall needed after format.

Alpha
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:34:16 PM
Might as well post here instead of using a new Topic.

I did the Ctrl+Alt+Del thingy, and found something called EM_exec listed. I don't recognize it. I'm just curious if it's good bad or ugly. :)

Also, for some reason my Add/Remove Program screen shows that there's no programs to remove. Help? lol

Shawn
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:55:59 PM
A Google search told me that EM_exec is the process name for the Logitech mouse settings. Do you have a Logitech mouse? :)

No idea about the program list thing. Do you have "Change or Remove Programs" selected on the left hand side of the window?

As far as Firewalls go: I hear ZoneAlarm is a pretty good little free firewall. May want to give it a shot.

Alpha
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:59:08 PM
We just got a new cordless Logitech. lol. *feels slightly stupid*

And I don't have a tab that has "Change or Remove Programs" on it. ME's got "Install/Uninstall though, and when I have that clicked, I get the blank screen where the programs should be.

ReaperFett
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:12:30 PM
I used to use ZoneAlarm before the new comp had free Norton. Was a decent little thing IMO, never gave me trouble.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:38:04 PM
Five things for computer security everyone must do...

1) Never use IE

2) Always stay patched up to date

3) Use a firewall

4) Use a AV pacakage

5) Use Ad-Aware or other spy killer. Recently in my travels, I've really noted the damage and viciousness of malware is increasing. Spyware (like Connect The Web) is doing real damage - that little nasty has a variant that absolutly trashes the PC. It is not picked up by AV programs. It's getting to the point where I believe an anti-spyware program is more valued than a AV one.

Alpha
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:42:34 PM
Can I DL a firewall program, or do I have to do something in the control panel to erect one?

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:46:59 PM
Zone alarm is downloadable

Alpha
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:49:00 PM
Oh, it's a Firewall program? lol. I just thought it was an anti-virus program

Ace McCloud
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:49:26 PM
As long as people are still paying attention to this...
I ran the virus scanner that morg provided because I've been having some trouble with lots of spy ware. To my surprise, i found 6 trojans. Got rid of 5 but it could not remove the one in:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\SLMSS\SLMSS.EXE" Does this even look like a vital file to anyone? If not, I'm just going to use amnesia to erase it.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:56:32 PM
http://lists.netsys.com/pipermail/full-disclosure/2003-October/013024.html

Virus.

Boot into safe mode and KILL KILL KILL.

Ace McCloud
Jan 13th, 2004, 11:01:57 PM
::Cracks knuckles:: Thank you morg, Should I use Amnesia or just delete it manually?

EDIT:
Mission Status: Complete...
Target eliminated...>D

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:05:12 AM
reformated. everything was going okay, but now the mouse won't work and the modem won't install :lol I have a feeling this might take a while. someone has given me a copy of norton anti-virus to install though - is that any good? :huh

(PS posting from college.)

ReaperFett
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:07:32 AM
I use it :)

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:16:38 AM
that doesn't fill me with confidence ;)

Morgan Evanar
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:18:07 AM
eh, AVG is as good as norton in my experince.

ReaperFett
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:18:17 AM
It makes IE a happy safe fun place ;)

Morgan Evanar
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:19:24 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
It makes IE a happy safe fun place ;) :rolleyes

IE is so deeply flawed from a security standpoint that nothing can make it safe.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:22:26 AM
anything aside from IE you'd recommend I definetly don't download? any fileshare programs that could cause me a problem, etc?

ReaperFett
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:27:08 AM
BitTorrent. Get a link from someone else for it, I had no end of troubles with that.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:28:21 AM
don't use BT? o_O

ReaperFett
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:33:01 AM
No no, use BT if you want to. Just get a DL link from someone else, don't search for one.

Some guy was opening up the installer and adding spyware. He made it look official, even paying for ads on suprnova advertising it as an upgrade. You installed, it even went to the proper page. But you also got new taskbars, new favourites, spyware....It took me days to wipe it clean.

Shawn
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:43:20 AM
Use the ABC BitTorrent client. It has very low memory usage, allows you to manage several torrents in one convenient window, allows you to automatically stop seeding after a preset ratio, plus a whole bunch of other nifty features.

Link: http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/download.html

I hear KaZaA Lite has gotten as bad as the original client, so I would avoid it if I were you.

imported_Firebird1
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:15:15 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
reformated. everything was going okay, but now the mouse won't work and the modem won't install :lol I have a feeling this might take a while. someone has given me a copy of norton anti-virus to install though - is that any good? :huh

(PS posting from college.)

Your mouse and Modem might have seperate Drivers that are not in Windows XP, see if you can Download the most recent versions from the companies webpages.

Nortons is IMHO the best AV, even better then the Mchaffie crud I'm using. But I'll go into more detail on that later.

Figrin D'an
Jan 14th, 2004, 12:09:03 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
I hear KaZaA Lite has gotten as bad as the original client, so I would avoid it if I were you.

There is a new version, KaZaA Lite K++, that is supposed to be the best new alternative to KaZaA.

http://cache.techtv.com/binaries/2003/klite.zip

Try here... this should be the K++ version.

Alpha
Jan 14th, 2004, 05:22:31 PM
It's really a good version. :D I'm using it right now, actually.

Oh, how good is the AV PC-Cillin? :)

Zeke
Jan 15th, 2004, 12:04:15 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
eh, AVG is as good as norton in my experince.

Say, did someone post a link to a site where AVG can be downloaded? A buddy just recommended it to me, and I'm in need of a new anti-virus program.

Crystal
Jan 15th, 2004, 12:20:16 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

-smack- hellooooo you should ask when things get wonky.

Zeke
Jan 15th, 2004, 07:15:30 AM
Thanks Crystal.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 15th, 2004, 07:40:57 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
It makes IE a happy safe fun place ;)

Even as a joke, that's an absurd statement.

Norton's has crashed the odd XP install, even the 2004(?) version detonated on a fresh install. While I do think it's pretty good, it's this ability to explode every now and then juuuuust makes me a bit leery. AVG has missed viruses in the past when I've been using it. It is not as good at cleaning up contaminations.

But, it is getting better. There is a noticable difference over last year on how good it is, where I would think it's close to Norton. I'd call it better as it has never taken a PC down. I use it and Ad-Aware as part of an emergency repair toolkit on site calls.

BTW, if people are going to ignore really good advice and still use that POS IE, then put Google Toolbar on it at the least. That way, your goign to stop some of the crap getting on your PC. Only some, mind. The only real fix is to throw IE as far as possible and use Firebird.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 15th, 2004, 03:04:49 PM
And also just having an anti-virus tool is usually not enough these days especially when using a broadband connection. Some kind of firewall, be it properly configured NAT, hardware, or software is neccessary to ward of many of the wild bugs trying to force their way onto your computer via the Internet. Properly confifured NAT alone is a good start for a firewall, but as with the majority of other firewall solutions, works best in tandem with another solution as well. Multiple lines of defense are always a good thing.

I am also of the opinion that anyone who cares about their PC's health should stop using IE immediately.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 16th, 2004, 04:57:12 AM
I'm having a hard job convincing the other users of my PC to not use IE. My step dad is firmly set in the opinion that Mozilla and my mp3s are in fact the cause of my computers trouble :|

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 16th, 2004, 05:21:18 AM
I'm having a hard job convincing the other users of my PC to not use IE. My step dad is firmly set in the opinion that Mozilla and my mp3s are in fact the cause of my computers trouble :|

That sucks. My advice is to use the set program access and remove IE's access.

And then inform him of the latest Connect The Web spyware - which, not only does it take over the browser, certain versions can keylog, it will take personal details, it will hijack browser pages, it will allow malicious scripts, it does tell ZoneAlarm it is 'safe' (when it is not) and all you need to do is simply open up a web page with this nasty 's load script. It will not ask for your confirmation, it is not stopped after you click on the web page by a firewall, and versions of this will simply cause more destruction on your PC than any virus I have seen in the last 5 years, due ironically to programming bugs.

People should be more fearful of malware and spyware than viruses IMO now. The effect of spyware / malware are not nuisance value, it is destructive. Your PC can be zombiefied with malware too.

And in a few cases I've seen lately, your machine is turned into a spam house and / or a warez server.

All this is yours if you run IE. If you have IE, your PC WILL, not if, be taken over by CTW or similar and you will be wondering why your PC was pooed upon from a great height.

Did I scare IE users? Good, because you should be. You should be scared and you should not use IE ever again.

As well Das, do some web searching and pull up some other info on IE bugs and holes. I wouldnt wish use of IE on Itala.

Figrin D'an
Jan 16th, 2004, 12:39:32 PM
Have your step dad run a Google search on the string "Internet Explorer Security", and have him watch how many results (nearly all negative) come up. Last I checked, it was about 3.8 million entries.

Show him this article, too, from this past October: http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/0,2000061744,20279477,00.htm

It's not just computer enthusiasts like us that are blasting IE. It's coming from leading network security experts. It lacks certain fundemental security mechanisms... the program is inherently flawed.

If that doesn't convince your step dad, then he's being blatantly ignorant of the facts.

ReaperFett
Jan 16th, 2004, 12:44:20 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
That sucks. My advice is to use the set program access and remove IE's access.

So he thinks it's Mozilla's fault, so you think the best move is to delete IE and then start spewing facts? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

imported_Firebird1
Jan 17th, 2004, 09:26:25 AM
Yep DL Mozilla, and then show your Father that it's not destructive.

Bah, there are to many people who use IE anyways, thats why it's the most commonly attacked peice of web trash. You would think that Microsoft would realize that, and act accordingly. But there are just too many bugs that people have found that aren't getting fixed.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 17th, 2004, 09:29:37 AM
Oh the irony.

I reformatted with the service pack copy of windows. Everythign is going grand. I open IE to download important programs. About 10 minutes later, the RPC thing (to do with the blaster virus) appears. I have to spend 30 mins dealing with that. I can't believe TEN MINUTES is all it took for IE to screw up. HOORAY.

Figrin D'an
Jan 17th, 2004, 02:02:10 PM
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

This guy provides some good info about which services can be disabled, including the RPC services. It will likely make your machine more lean and efficient, too.

imported_Firebird1
Jan 17th, 2004, 02:38:25 PM
Oh the irony.

I reformatted with the service pack copy of windows. Everythign is going grand. I open IE to download important programs. About 10 minutes later, the RPC thing (to do with the blaster virus) appears. I have to spend 30 mins dealing with that. I can't believe TEN MINUTES is all it took for IE to screw up. HOORAY.

Did you Reformat or Reinstall?

imported_Grev Drasen
Jan 17th, 2004, 02:48:40 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
There is a new version, KaZaA Lite K++, that is supposed to be the best new alternative to KaZaA.

http://cache.techtv.com/binaries/2003/klite.zip

Try here... this should be the K++ version. The Kazaa network is pretty much dead anyway.

Figrin D'an
Jan 17th, 2004, 03:14:25 PM
Yes... there are better alternatives. I was just informing people that there is a newer crap-free version of the software, if they so desire to try it.

I rarely use filesharing tools anymore myself.

Alpha
Jan 17th, 2004, 07:20:44 PM
Originally posted by Grev Drasen
The Kazaa network is pretty much dead anyway.

Not so. :) I have been able to find a bunch more songs and Vid files now then ever. :D

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 18th, 2004, 04:11:38 AM
Originally posted by Firebird1
Did you Reformat or Reinstall?

reformat.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:01:45 AM
oh and apparently mark thinks the graphics card is the cause of all of the trouble, but is apparently unwilling to upgrade

Morgan Evanar
Jan 18th, 2004, 10:32:11 AM
What card? I can find the best drivers for it.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 18th, 2004, 12:17:11 PM
NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti 24000 with AGP8X

Morgan Evanar
Jan 18th, 2004, 05:33:02 PM
Ti 4200.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_53.03

Wytchy Woman
Jan 18th, 2004, 07:32:33 PM
goobuly goop my dear son Shawn typed ^^^ there, the only part I understood was 'Zone Alarm', and yeah, I think it is a pretty decent firewall considering it's free.
Lots of other good and FREE software to be had at freecreed too.
Sorry you had computer trouble, but glad it's not me. The same child that never calls and never writes probably wouldn't fix my computer either :cry
Awww quilt, a parent's ultimate weapon :D

Pierce Tondry
Jan 18th, 2004, 07:52:33 PM
Fortunately for me, I'm immune to all exterior sources of guilt. :)

Alpha
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:45:41 PM
Originally posted by Wytchy Woman

Quilt? You mean you're gonna suffocate him? :)

Sejah Haversh
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:53:21 PM

Quilt, like as in ninja attack quilt? Or one of those new Howitzer quilts?

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2004, 09:10:41 PM
Originally posted by Sejah Haversh
Quilt, like as in ninja attack quilt?

That would be cool... the stealth, invisible kind.

Wytchy Woman
Jan 18th, 2004, 09:17:16 PM
C'mon guys give an old woman a break would ya? I have been working long hours and sewing a QUILT for a sick friend. As for my darling offspring, I think I will just smother him with guilt and leave the infanticide to someone else.

Alpha
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:39:28 PM
Ok, I have a CD with the drivers for my sound card (SiS 7012). Everytime I try and install it though, it keeps stopping it at 95% complete installation. Now, two questions:

1)Where can I download these drivers, and
2) Assuming I have to put them in the proper folder manually, where in the harddrive do I put them into?

Figrin D'an
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:48:22 PM
Is it an integrated sound card (ie. part of the motherboard and not a separate card)?

http://driver2.sis.com/audio/7012/7012_106.zip

Alpha
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:51:37 PM
Yup. It's built into the motherboard.

Alpha
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:36:38 AM
Ok, now I'm annoyed. IT froze itself up every time I tried installing it. Always at 95 percent too. Help? lol