PDA

View Full Version : Big Fish.

CMJ
Dec 30th, 2003, 12:06:20 PM
I saw this one about a week ago, but I'm just now getting back into the swing of thngs. Great movie I thought. It was a tad uneven in places, but nontheless it was among Tim Burton's best films. The flashbacks/stories were very "Burton-esque" and the present day stuff was done with remarkable restraint by the director.

Great perfomances all around. Albert Finney was especially memorable, but I can't think of a bad performance. A really sweet, heartwarming movie. A bit of a tearjerker near the end for those with the softer constitutions towards that sort of thing.

I'd say a definite see once it rolls into your area. It's still in a fairly limited release.

Charley
Dec 30th, 2003, 12:41:05 PM
I really want to see this movie, more than any of the other Academy Award hopefulls. It just looks like a treat to see. Also, I think some of it was shot in my home state, so thats cool too :)

darth_mcbain
Dec 30th, 2003, 12:47:24 PM
I don't know much about this movie - but what little I saw looks kind of interesting. It looks almost like a play on "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" by James Thurber.

CMJ
Dec 30th, 2003, 05:15:11 PM
Charley - alot of it was shot in Alabama. Though the fact that they're Auburn people will no doubt annoy you. :p

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 11th, 2004, 10:49:44 PM
I just saw this movie today and I was thoroughly impressed. Big Fish was the best movie I have seen in the past 3 years. People were leaning forward in their seats because they were so engrossed in it. People cried, and laughed. I swear, every person in that theater cried at least one tear before the movie was over. It was simply amazing.

Darth Viscera
Jan 12th, 2004, 04:29:51 AM
So he went on 1 mission during the whole Korean war, and in that one mission he immediately decided to desert?

CMJ
Jan 12th, 2004, 11:30:24 AM
Original thread...now been merged.
;)

Darth Viscera
Jan 12th, 2004, 12:06:40 PM
Invalid thread specified.

CMJ
Jan 12th, 2004, 12:39:05 PM
No kidding Visc...JMK merged the threads.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 12th, 2004, 12:51:09 PM
Not sure what you mean by invalid thread.
Also about Finney you think this movie might finally give him an Oscar.

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 12th, 2004, 07:25:16 PM
At any rate, my friend's sister and dad are extras in that movie. It was pretty cool. He had the trailer on his computer and slowed it down and pointed out his sister to me. I thought it was very cool indeed.

Sanis Prent
Jan 12th, 2004, 08:48:50 PM
grrr, I've still got to see it :(

JMK
Jan 12th, 2004, 10:56:22 PM
I've got tickets for this saturday. :)

Ishan Shade
Jan 14th, 2004, 11:22:44 PM
I saw it tonight.......wow, it was great.

I wasn't really expecting anything extrodinary, but it delivered. It was unlike any movie I've ever seen....it was truley worthy of any nominations it got, and with hardly any cussing or violence.

Jedi Master Carr
May 1st, 2004, 11:59:56 PM
I rented it and watched it tonight. I really liked it, and is one of the best movies I saw from 2003. (I would rank in a top 10 from the movies I saw last year probably). I think now it should have gotten an Best Picture nod but that is my opinion of course part that is after I saw that snoozer Master and Commander :p

Madmartigan
May 2nd, 2004, 12:04:46 AM
I saw it in the theatres and bought the DVD I just watched it for a second time tonight and it easily Burtons best film in my opinion.

Jedi Master Carr
May 2nd, 2004, 12:06:31 AM
I agree it is one of his best if not his best film, I might end up buying it myself.

jjwr
May 3rd, 2004, 06:18:32 AM
We rented it this past weekend as well, very good movie, full of all sorts of fun symbolism. Its nice to see at the end that the son realizes his father isn't larger than life, just lived it to its fullest.

We also rented Master & Commander, I quite enjoyed it, it was a little long but it moved along fine for me.