PDA

View Full Version : What five movies are you looking forward to most this year?

ReaperFett
Jan 10th, 2004, 02:58:55 PM
For me, in no order:

Punisher
Kill Bill Part 2
Blade 3
Jersey Girl
Shaun of the Dead

Spider-Man 2 and Hellboy look decent, I want to see more from Troy and King Arthur before I get hyped on them.

Shawn
Jan 10th, 2004, 04:00:33 PM
There are very few big movies to look forward to this year, now that the LOTR and Matrix franchises are done. Kill Bill 2 and Dawn of the Dead are the only ones for me, with a bit of hope for Spider-Man 2.

ReaperFett
Jan 10th, 2004, 04:01:39 PM
lol, Shaun of the dead and Dawn of the dead :)

Anbira Hicchoru
Jan 10th, 2004, 04:16:56 PM
Troy and Kill Bill part 2. Not really anything else.

Jinn Fizz
Jan 10th, 2004, 07:21:13 PM
Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban
Spider-Man 2

Not much else comes to mind right now. :\

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 10th, 2004, 07:32:42 PM
BALDE 3?!?!?!?! Werent the last two Blade's bad enough they have to inflict another POS on us???

HP:POA is the only one I'm waiting to see. Oh, Kill Bill Pt 2 should be okay

imported_Grev Drasen
Jan 10th, 2004, 09:21:29 PM
Troy
Kill Bill 2
The Passion of Christ
Alien vs. Predator
Spiderman 2

Sejah Haversh
Jan 10th, 2004, 09:39:30 PM
Mad Max IV
The Passion of Christ

I'll think of more later.

JMK
Jan 10th, 2004, 09:57:21 PM
Troy
Kill Bill 2
Spider Man 2
The Day After Tomorrow (sort of)

Charley
Jan 10th, 2004, 10:05:47 PM
Damn, I forgot about The Passion of the Christ. I definitely want to see that one!

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 10th, 2004, 10:38:14 PM
I don't want to see the Passion it is not in English it is in two dead langagues with no subtitles. I am not watching a movie and then have to guess what the actors are saying.

For me the biggest movies
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Troy
The Village
Spiderman 2
Aliens vs Predator.

Charley
Jan 10th, 2004, 10:43:28 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I don't want to see the Passion it is not in English it is in two dead langagues with no subtitles. I am not watching a movie and then have to guess what the actors are saying.

You do realize it's possible to convey through action, tone, etc, right?

imported_Grev Drasen
Jan 10th, 2004, 10:46:21 PM
Originally posted by Sejah Haversh
Mad Max IVUh, I doubt this will be coming out in 2004.

Sejah Haversh
Jan 10th, 2004, 10:54:09 PM
I've head a few times that it ^ would. Still, I may just be hoping against hope.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 10th, 2004, 11:13:14 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
You do realize it's possible to convey through action, tone, etc, right?
Yeah but I just don't like it plus I am too critical I know they say they are speaking the language of Christ but if these actors traveled in a time machine met somebody living in that period and talked this version of Aramaic. They wouldn't understand a word they were saying. We don't know the accents so to me why bother. Why not put the movie in English I just don't see the point.

imported_Grev Drasen
Jan 10th, 2004, 11:19:17 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Yeah but I just don't like it plus I am too critical I know they say they are speaking the language of Christ but if these actors traveled in a time machine met somebody living in that period and talked this version of Aramaic. They wouldn't understand a word they were saying. We don't know the accents so to me why bother. Why not put the movie in English I just don't see the point. Because an English speaking Christ would just be stupid.

ReaperFett
Jan 10th, 2004, 11:24:26 PM
You're right. Damn Troy for giving us the English language! :)

I agree, it puts me off. I'd rather watch a movie with things I can listen to and understand than a mime show.

imported_Grev Drasen
Jan 10th, 2004, 11:35:54 PM
Troy is just an action movie made for pure entertainment. PotC is supposed to be a depiction of the Bible, and they're aiming for accuracy, so naturally it would make sense for them to use an authentic language.

If you're turned off by a movie just because it's not in English for you then that's your loss.

ReaperFett
Jan 10th, 2004, 11:40:51 PM
Oh yeah, I hate non-English movies, that's why my favourite has subtitles ;)

I just dont see the point. What will subtitles do except for maybe show a poor script.

...Keanu Reeves should try that :D

imported_Grev Drasen
Jan 10th, 2004, 11:48:37 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Oh yeah, I hate non-English movies, that's why my favourite has subtitles ;) You go from complaining about Passion to claiming your favorite movie is in non-English.

Okay.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 10th, 2004, 11:56:16 PM
For those complaining about the languages and no subtitles being used in Passion of Christ (which, now I'm reminded is coming out this year, I WILL want to see that...)

What's the big deal? It is NOT for the casual movie goer, it is quite bluntly, a film depiciting the events of Christ's death as accuratly as possible. It's not there to make squillions or make you feel good. Good on Gibson for doing soemthing very different and having the guts to go through with it.

JMK
Jan 11th, 2004, 12:00:20 AM
Any bets on the number of countries it gets banned from? ;)

Is Lucas says the SW movies can be watched and understood with no sound or dialogue, then the issue of language shouldn't be so important for PotC. Pretend it's a silent film and read the actors' physical cues. Listen to the music...or cheat and read the bible. :D

ReaperFett
Jan 11th, 2004, 12:02:02 AM
Originally posted by Grev Drasen
You go from complaining about Passion to claiming your favorite movie is in non-English.

Okay.
Subtitles are a boys best friend. Down with dubbing :)

imported_Grev Drasen
Jan 11th, 2004, 12:02:28 AM
Most major religious figures have approved the film so I don't really see why it should be banned, but I'm sure it will inevitably be censored in a lot of places.

Thankfully most of us live in the countries that give us the freedoms we have.

ReaperFett
Jan 11th, 2004, 12:03:47 AM
Malaysia might ban it. They banned Daredevil and had a name change in Hellboy (Now Super Sapiens :)), they might go the other way.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2004, 12:08:37 AM
Originally posted by Grev Drasen
Troy is just an action movie made for pure entertainment. PotC is supposed to be a depiction of the Bible, and they're aiming for accuracy, so naturally it would make sense for them to use an authentic language.

If you're turned off by a movie just because it's not in English for you then that's your loss.

But its not accurate as I said there is no way you could learn to speak aramaic or latin for that matter there is nobody in the world that has spoken those languages for over a thousand years perhaps close to two thousand for Aramaic. It just bugs me and I won't bother to see but that is me it just doesn't interest me. I also don't think it will do well at the Box office. Moviegoers will be not like it I imagine.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 11th, 2004, 12:16:15 AM
How can you say it's not accurate when you aint seen it?

Aramaic was the trading language of the time of Christ and was spoken a lot.

I dont know what language the Romans used generally, but Aramaic was it for 1st AD Israel.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2004, 12:22:57 AM
What I mean is no one can speak Aramiac today the languae is dead. You can write it but you can't really speak it because we don't know the accents. The same goes for Latin, (which is what the Romans used) Latin has been dead since sometime in the middle ages and it is for the same reasons.

Charley
Jan 11th, 2004, 12:36:07 AM
The Vatican has been carrying on the usage of Latin, so that point's up in smoke.

Figrin D'an
Jan 11th, 2004, 12:36:29 AM
Using Aramaic and Latin for the body of the film is fine, even if they are dead languages. I don't mind that. That aspect is actually rather intriguing (even if they couldn't be "perfect" in their usage).

But why not have subtitles? Yeah, you can can convey quite a bit through action and expression, provided it's well-acted, and through music and cinemetography. But, unless you happen to be a Latin and Aramaic scholar, or happen to have a good portion of the New Testement memorized, it'll will take away from what you may be able to get out of the film.

Unless the amount of dialogue in the film is minimal, and it's built almost purely on visuals, this seems a far too eccentric directorial decision for my taste.

Dutchy
Jan 11th, 2004, 04:35:14 AM

Amen!

CrimsonDiablo
Jan 11th, 2004, 08:12:30 AM
Personally I prefer Subtitles over dubbing - sometimes it can be really annoying if a movie has bad dubbing

oh and movies i'm looking forward to:D

(No Order)

AvP
Rivières pourpres 2 - Les anges de l'apocalypse
Troy
Boondock II: All Saints Day

ReaperFett
Jan 11th, 2004, 08:29:55 AM
Boondock Saints 2 would be listed if I was sure it was 2004, make no mistake :D

Jinn Fizz
Jan 11th, 2004, 08:32:08 AM
Sejah, don't expect Mad Max IV this year. That production got tossed out of Fox studios in Australia by some movie coming out next year. Some science fiction movie, I believe ;). So production on Mad Max IV has been delayed, and although I sure as heck wouldn't mind seeing it, I wouldn't be surprised if it never happens.

As for The Passion...I personally don't have a problem with it being in Latin and Aramaic, even without subtitles. As Marcus said earlier, this movie is not meant for the casual moviegoer. Plus, as for me, I've been a Catholic my whole life and have read and studied the Gospels. I'll know what's going on, even if I can't understand the words the characters are using.

It really was a gutsy thing for Mel Gibson to do, and kudos to him for sticking to his guns.

CrimsonDiablo
Jan 11th, 2004, 10:59:03 AM
I Just Went On IMDB Listings. I Hope its out this year - Dasquian lent me it and now i've been boondock-ified - yay!:D

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 11th, 2004, 11:13:43 AM

Yes indeed. They'll probably sub it (Passion) if it's released on DVD, for the hard of hearing. I might watch it then.

Originally posted by CrimsonDiablo
I Just Went On IMDB Listings. I Hope its out this year - Dasquian lent me it and now i've been boondock-ified - yay!:D

:smokin yus.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2004, 11:15:35 AM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
Sejah, don't expect Mad Max IV this year. That production got tossed out of Fox studios in Australia by some movie coming out next year. Some science fiction movie, I believe ;). So production on Mad Max IV has been delayed, and although I sure as heck wouldn't mind seeing it, I wouldn't be surprised if it never happens.

As for The Passion...I personally don't have a problem with it being in Latin and Aramaic, even without subtitles. As Marcus said earlier, this movie is not meant for the casual moviegoer. Plus, as for me, I've been a Catholic my whole life and have read and studied the Gospels. I'll know what's going on, even if I can't understand the words the characters are using.

It really was a gutsy thing for Mel Gibson to do, and kudos to him for sticking to his guns.

Well I guess I am just picky about stuff like that. I just think it is beter to put in English but if is crazy enough to try the other language deal he should at least put it subtitles make it easier for people to see. And about the Vatican using Latin, sure they do but they are speaking textbook latin. We have no idea what the accents are the language is still dead.

ReaperFett
Jan 11th, 2004, 11:18:44 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
Yes indeed. They'll probably sub it (Passion) if it's released on DVD, for the hard of hearing. I might watch it then.
That'd be almost ironic, having subtitles for the hard of hearing because they can't hear a language they don't know :)

Originally posted by CrimsonDiablo
I got a few here to watch it too, the good word must be spread! :D

CrimsonDiablo
Jan 11th, 2004, 11:34:48 AM
I got a few here to watch it too, the good word must be spread! :D

EVERYONE MUST WATCH BOONDOCK SAINTS!!!!!

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee. Power hath decended forth from thy hand so our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

Garrett Blade
Jan 11th, 2004, 11:37:29 AM
Alien. vs Predator (Anderson's a dead man if he buggers this up!)
Blade 3 (love the other 2!)
Spider-Man 2 (like Blade, loved the first one. Plus Kirsten Dunst is in it :))
TMNT: The Movie. (I'm not sure if its supposed to be out this year. Yay if it is.)
Thunderbirds (the only real downfall it'll have for me is the fact that its gonna be a Hollywood blockbuster which will more or less destroy the charm of the British series)
Kill Bill 2
Shrek 2
Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 11th, 2004, 11:39:20 AM
TMNT: The Movie. (I'm not sure if its supposed to be out this year. Yay if it is.)
Thunderbirds (the only real downfall it'll have for me is the fact that its gonna be a Hollywood blockbuster which will more or less destroy the charm of the British series)

wooooah. waitwaitwait. TMNT? Live action or cartoon/ I thought there already was one of both.

As for Thunderbirds, is this going to be puppets or live action? :lol

ReaperFett
Jan 11th, 2004, 11:40:41 AM
THunderbirds is more British than Hollywood, but apprently sucks (Someone on another board I go has seen it, he works for a company who does post-production).

Said Shaun of the Dead was hilarious though :D

CrimsonDiablo
Jan 11th, 2004, 11:45:23 AM
I don't really see how Thunderbirds could be made into a good film - the series was great but seeing as its been many years and its a hollywood made film i doubt they COULD transfer it well to the silver screen, I would like them to prove me wrong tho

Garrett Blade
Jan 11th, 2004, 11:50:05 AM
Dunno about TMNT - I just saw the movie poster at the cinema. As for Thunderbirds, it's live action - Bill Paxton plays Jeff Tracy and Anthony Edwards from ER is Brains :p

OMG just found of Ben Kingsley is The Hood! :) I think he'll be great as IR's arch-enemy.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 11th, 2004, 11:56:48 AM
I wonder who is playing Lady Penelope (I always imagined her as Joanna Lumley for some reason :lol)

Figrin D'an
Jan 11th, 2004, 01:11:23 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz

My problem with that argument is that it still alienates a good portion of your viewing audience. There are plenty of films made each year that aren't targeted at the general movie-going public. That's fine... but how many people really are going to met the prerequisites to know exactly what is happening and when? While many of those other films not necessarily aimed towards everyone, at least they are reasonably accessible to everyone, should they choose to see it. This film, by the very nature of the decision, is limiting it's accessibility to those who may be interested, but don't necessarily know the detailed story of Christ's life by heart.

But, whatever. It's Gibson's choice. Just strikes me as an overzealous one.

Garrett Blade
Jan 11th, 2004, 01:23:04 PM
Sophia Myles is playing Lady Penelope - she was the envious vampire in 'Underworld' and she was also Victoria Abberline in 'From Hell'.

Jinn Fizz
Jan 11th, 2004, 09:46:49 PM
Thunderbirds is also directed by Jonathan Frakes of Next Gen fame...weird juxtaposition, Star Trek and Thunderbirds ;). I'm really going to reserve judgment on it until I see more about it. Could be great, could be complete trash.

And now I have to give myself 40 lashes with a wet noodle for totally forgetting to name the movie I'm most looking forward to this summer... Van Helsing. How could I have forgotten? :eek

Alpha
Jan 11th, 2004, 10:09:19 PM
R.E :Apocalypse
Spidey 2
Shrek 2
Passion
Punisher
HP 3

Maybe Dawn of the Dead

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 11th, 2004, 10:32:46 PM
Passion
Spiderman 2
There's a TMNT Movie coming out soon? I'm going to that one!

Can't think of 2 more movies though. But those 3 I really would like to see.

Garrett Blade
Jan 12th, 2004, 07:43:35 AM
I have to add Van Helsing too - I love that kinda stuff!

Sejah Haversh
Jan 12th, 2004, 02:01:03 PM
I'm adding Hidalgo to my list.

Abagael Zellan
Jan 12th, 2004, 03:22:22 PM
5. The Butterfly Effect
4. Troy
3. Touching the Void
2. Hidalgo

and the number one movie I am looking forward to...

1. Two Brothers

(I don't think it's going to be exceptional or anything, but c'mon, it's Guy Pearce!!!)

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 12th, 2004, 03:30:08 PM
Two Brothers sounds like it will be sort of weird, but interesting.

Abagael Zellan
Jan 12th, 2004, 03:48:04 PM

And it's got Guy Pearce in it. In the jungle.

With a rifle.

Alpha
Jan 12th, 2004, 05:32:01 PM
Oh, I forgot about The Butterfly Effect. :)