PDA

View Full Version : Things are looking up for Russia! (WTF)

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 9th, 2004, 06:24:28 AM
From here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/music/newsid_3359000/3359067.stm):

Popstars Tatu say they plan to run for the position of President in the Russian elections next March.

They'll take on current leader Vladimir Putin in the hope of becoming joint presidents of their home country. Julia and Lena reckon they can do a better job of running Russia.

But there's a tiny hitch in their plan. Officials say you have to be at least 35-years-old to enter the elections. But the girls reckon their combined age of 37 means they're eligible.

Tatu's spokeswoman told The Sun: "Tatu are running together. We cannot separate the girls."

The Tatu election campaign kicked off with supporters gathering signatures proposing the singers as a candidate in the presidential elections.

Darth Viscera
Jan 9th, 2004, 06:31:40 AM
hmm...i dunno. what's their platform?

ReaperFett
Jan 9th, 2004, 09:48:04 AM
I just like the logic that their combined age is enough. I'm going to try and win by using 35 one year olds :D

Darth Viscera
Jan 9th, 2004, 10:32:51 AM
or 4.375 8 year olds!

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 9th, 2004, 12:07:56 PM
Musical talents and actors alike are now governing. Oh goodness. Tell me they're kidding and aren't seriously going to do it.

ReaperFett
Jan 9th, 2004, 12:14:22 PM
Wei, what do you mean NOW? Don't you know your Presidents??? :)

Charley
Jan 9th, 2004, 01:41:28 PM
Originally posted by Wei Wu Wei
Musical talents and actors alike are now governing. Oh goodness. Tell me they're kidding and aren't seriously going to do it.

What's the difference between them and any other non-political profession taking office?

Kria'thn Ki
Jan 9th, 2004, 01:55:59 PM
Couple of differences I can see.

1, They raise the profile of politics and will draw attention that other candidates could not. Which can as a general rule be a good thing, more people taking interest.

2, Stars can be elected based on their star status alone. If star status is going to be the only thing people are electing them on, this can only be bad for the people they are going to govern. I do realise they say money wins elections, but I hope somewhere behind that money there is at least a fair degree of sense behind the wheel.

3, They can, as a general rule, miss out the lower rungs of politics completely. This to me doesn't seem a good thing. Learning the ropes of politics seems to me the best way of creating a politician, rather than diving in at the deep end.

This is all debatable of course, based on viewpoint and moreover the current system of government in the country you live it. Its just something that has come up with people i've talked to many times recently.