PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Good & Evil

TheHolo.Net
Jan 8th, 2004, 03:27:37 PM
Has anyone else played it?

I did and rather liked the somewhat different approach to a third person shooter/adventure, but it was a little too restrictive exploration wise and a bit short.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 8th, 2004, 03:30:37 PM
Haven't played it. What's it about? Have anything to do with Nietzsche? (j/k :x)

TheHolo.Net
Jan 8th, 2004, 03:32:24 PM
Nope, its a fairly original game. Its like playing a disney cartoon kind of. Its sci-fi/fantasy where you play a photojournalist and adventure ensues.

EDIT: Linkage (http://beyondgoodevil.com/uk/home.php)

Shawn
Jan 8th, 2004, 05:34:43 PM
I just tried playing it for a while. It's not really my bag. The graphics were really nice, but I found the controls to be really unintuitive. Also, the fact that there are cinematic bars even during gameplay bugged me.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 8th, 2004, 05:40:46 PM
Yeah, fullscreen during gameplay would have been nice, but I'm so used to widescreen movies that it really didn't bother me any since the graphics were so nice. As for the controls, I fond them to be much easier to grasp and get used to than those for prince or Persia, even though in a way they are somewhat similar with the third person free mouselook not working in some places.

imported_QuiGonJ
Jan 14th, 2004, 10:28:15 PM
It's my pick of Game of the Year actually.

The controls are customizable, and the arrow keys are premapped as alts for movement, so if you place run on SHIFT, duck on the appication key, and use item on the right CTRL, the game control gets a lot easier. Also keep in mind that the control is relative to the camera, which is tricky, but the same way Simpsons: Hit and Run does it.

The voice acting is top notch, and the soundtrack is something I sincerely hope is offered separately. The animation is also among the best I've ever seen. And the gameplay allows yo a choice to try violence or just sneaking around, and there's no shortage of minigames within.

The game didn't sell to expectations, so it's now $20 on all platforms, so it's a steal at that price.

Shawn
Jan 14th, 2004, 10:33:35 PM
The controls are customizableThe mouse functions aren't really, if I remember correctly. And although it's not really needed, being unable to jump whenever I want bothered me. I'm not saying that it's a bad game, but I really couldn't get into it. :\