PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like we have our Tony Stark (Iron Man)

ReaperFett
Jan 7th, 2004, 03:35:55 PM
Can't link, site might be deemed bad. Exerted:

Fresh from promoting his latest film The Last Samurai, Tom Cruise has revealed he'd like to play the lead in a Hollywood version of Marvel comic superhero Iron Man.

When the project first surfaced, Cruise and comic fan Nicholas Cage were both keen to sign, but now that the main elements, such as the screenwriters, the script and the villain have changed, only Cruise is still eager to don the tights.

"He's a fascinating character, but we've got to figure out how it's going to work. And everyone is doing a Marvel character these days," he told Empire magazine.

"How do we make that new, create something fresh where it doesn't feel like: "Oh, here comes another superhero story"?"

The story of Iron Man isn't as well-known as the mainstream hero's. He is the alter ego of billionaire industrialist Tony Stark, who wears an armoured breastplate to protect his injured heart.

But like all credible superheroes, Stark has a dark side, trying to battle alcoholism while running his company and fend off baddies thanks to his advanced suit of armour and kick-BLEEP weapons.

Also, I SAW him say on TV he was working on War of the Worlds and Iron Man.

Personally, I think great casting. I've always wanted him or Brosnan, and now we have one :)

JMK
Jan 7th, 2004, 03:41:01 PM
I'd prefer someone a little larger in stature, and a little bit younger as well, but I suppose he'd do.

Jedieb
Jan 7th, 2004, 07:27:54 PM
Tony Stark will now be a 5 1/2 foot hero. Ughh.... Still, Cruise can pull it off. A younger Brosnan might have done a good job as well.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 7th, 2004, 11:04:32 PM
I have no problems with him as Iron Man he could pull it off.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jan 7th, 2004, 11:34:56 PM
I could see Cruise as Stark, actually. He's got the nose for it.

Cage, heeeeck no! Cage could never look heroic to me. Ever. At all. In any way shape or form. He's a whiney, annoying scrawny dweeb. Not a super-hero.

Mr Dust
Jan 8th, 2004, 01:10:52 AM
I agree... Cruise ain't bad. Though, you almost need someone with less of a pretty-boy look. From what I recall of Tony, he was rather average. Can't think of who WOULD fit, though.

jjwr
Jan 8th, 2004, 07:25:48 AM
Cruise is fine, height has nothing to do with it, don't forget he'll be in his suit for all the really fun stuff.

This could easily be a big summer block buster if given a big enough budget, the question is where would they put this? They're so overloaded with Superhero movies its going to be tough to keep squeezing new ones in.

One more note on Cruise not being a good case - Keaton = Best on Screen Batman ever!

JMK
Jan 8th, 2004, 10:24:24 AM
My biggest worry aside from his stature is his age. He's in his 40's now, and if the first one does well, there will be sequels. He's going to be getting pretty long in the tooth if we have to sit through Iron Man 2, 3 etc. with an aging pip squeak. It won't be believable IMO.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jan 8th, 2004, 12:09:48 PM
But Tony Stark DID age in the comics. And he wasn't some spring chicken to begin with. I think it's perfectly plausible to use him.

ReaperFett
Jan 8th, 2004, 12:51:26 PM
Originally posted by J'ktal Anajii
Cage, heeeeck no! Cage could never look heroic to me. Ever. At all. In any way shape or form. He's a whiney, annoying scrawny dweeb. Not a super-hero.
Cage is in for EVERY superhero movie. The guy wants one so bad :D

He's got Ghost Rider, so all is good in the world :)

jjwr
Jan 8th, 2004, 01:09:21 PM
Aging in movies is rarely a problem, they always seem to make them look younger so I'm not worried about that part.

Cage is definetly a big comics fan, he actually a rather large collection for a while but sold it within the past few years. He had a copy of Action Comics #1 as well.

ReaperFett
Jan 8th, 2004, 01:27:07 PM
That woman he married was evil. Was due to her he sold them.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jan 8th, 2004, 03:36:08 PM
Now, Ghost Rider I could see Cage in. Mainly because I want to see his skull wreathed in flames.

JMK
Jan 8th, 2004, 05:23:57 PM
:lol Come on, tell us what you really think of Nic Cage.

jjwr
Jan 9th, 2004, 09:46:31 PM
He sold his books because of her? Thats wrong....Lisa Marie Presley correct?

ReaperFett
Jan 9th, 2004, 10:45:14 PM
Yeah.

Ishan Shade
Jan 10th, 2004, 01:06:37 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I have no problems with him as Iron Man he could pull it off.

That's basically how I feel. I think it'd be interesting to see him in the role. It's great to see all these Marvel movies coming out, I've been a fan of comics since I was a kid, it's just exciting to see these legends come alive, and quite well I think. (X-Men was done wonderfully.)