PDA

View Full Version : Atkinson as Voldemort???

darth_mcbain
Jan 7th, 2004, 09:47:20 AM
From IMDB

Rowan Atkinson is trying to overcome the depression caused by the critical mauling of his last film by becoming a villain - he's playing Lord Voldemort in the new Harry Potter film. The British 48-year-old star had to check into a rehabilitation clinic in America after last year's Johnny English was slammed by critics - even though it did relatively good business at the box office. However, the rubber-faced funnyman has decided to expand his repertoire by signing up for the part of evil Voldemort in the upcoming The Goblet Of Fire, which is due for release in 2005. A source comments, "Its a very major career change for Rowan. He has been looking to spread his wings and branch out into other roles. "He doesn't want to be the nice guy or the rubber-faced chap forever." Atkinson's character has previously appeared only as a spirit, but is brought by to life by "death eaters" in the Goblet Of Fire, which will follow this year's third Potter installment, The Prisoner Of Azkaban.

I don't know about this one... Part of me says he could be pretty good in the role - part of me thinks it is ridiculous. Not that he couldn't pull it off, but all of his previous work might detract from the gravity such a character needs. I don't want to be thinking about Mr. Bean when I see Voldemort... :)

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 7th, 2004, 10:14:06 AM
Have you seen "Black Adder"? He plays a sarcastic, cynical (and evil, I suppose) character really well there (admitedly with humour thrown in, but its clever humour, not slapstic). I think he would be able to pull it off.

Syo
Jan 7th, 2004, 10:40:15 AM
dude Mr Bean cannot be Voldermont who's afraid of Bean

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 7th, 2004, 11:04:44 AM
Mr Bean isn't the only role he's ever played :|

darth_mcbain
Jan 7th, 2004, 11:34:13 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
Have you seen "Black Adder"? He plays a sarcastic, cynical (and evil, I suppose) character really well there (admitedly with humour thrown in, but its clever humour, not slapstic). I think he would be able to pull it off.

Haven't seen it. Obviously he's played characters other than Mr. Bean, but you have to admit that the majority of his work is in the slapstick genre. I do think he is a very good actor and that he could pull it off, I just think that there is such a connotation with his other work that it might detract if people are thinking of his slapstick stuff.

ReaperFett
Jan 7th, 2004, 12:15:44 PM
He did more Blackadder than Bean IIRC :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 7th, 2004, 12:15:51 PM
The BBC has denied that
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/world/newsid_3376000/3376933.stm The rumor orgiinally came from the Sun so we know it is worthless from that tabloid.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 7th, 2004, 12:23:58 PM
Bean and Johnny English were his only slapstick stuff, IIRC.

And yes, The Sun talk tripe :lol

ReaperFett
Jan 7th, 2004, 12:37:14 PM
Where does it say The Sun?

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 7th, 2004, 01:02:19 PM
Well on two Harry Potter sites they gave a link to the Sun's article. So they were the ones who started this.

ReaperFett
Jan 7th, 2004, 01:05:03 PM
Could have just been the Sun was the most commonly seen one though.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 7th, 2004, 01:16:26 PM
Could be don't know I know I read Variety picked up on the rumor too but I guess there could have been others. Actually this is an old rumor and a very false one too, I think was started months ago by somebody (can't recall who) it seems it has just been recycled.

Droo
Jan 7th, 2004, 03:29:36 PM
Thank God for that! As much as I love Rowan Atkinson - he would make a dreadful Voldemort no matter which way you look at it.

Kelt Simoson
Jan 7th, 2004, 03:53:45 PM
I personaly think he would play a darn right excellent Voldermort in the right way of acting, lets hope he does it.

Ka' el Darcverse
Jan 7th, 2004, 05:45:58 PM
Generally comedic actors are the most talented of the bunch. It takes quite a talent to make people laugh.

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 7th, 2004, 06:32:44 PM
I'd like to see it. I think he's more of a comedy type, but if they make it so he doesn't look like Mr. Bean, he ought to do just fine.

imported_Eve
Jan 7th, 2004, 06:49:58 PM
Voldemort? No, IMO. He should play Mad Eye Moody instead.

Droo
Jan 7th, 2004, 08:41:25 PM
Now I can see him playing Mad Eye. Also I agree, comedic actors are very talented but Rowan Atkinson just isn't Voldemort, he isn't menacing and evil; I wouldn't take him seriously on screen in that role and it would ruin the film.

Syo
Jan 7th, 2004, 09:23:06 PM
ummm Bean and Johnny English are not the only slapstick movies he has done

have ya ever heard of Rat Race, and anyways its a moot point we always associate actors with their most famous roles very few actors are good enough to break that mold

Sly will always be Rocky or Rambo, Arnold is always going to be the Terminator, Julia Roberts will always be some chick flick actor

Atkinson cannot break his bean persona to be in the slightest bit intimidating and impressive enough to play the part of VOldermont as the majority of the people will reject him outright, me included

if this story is true the casting director of Harry Potter needs to be fired and run out of town

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 7th, 2004, 10:41:55 PM
I don't think he could do Moody either. I would like to see Ian Mckellan or Geoffrey Rush for that part. The only GOF character he could do is Ludo Bagman he is a slightly comical character and I wouldn't mind Atkinson playing him. Atkinson could never do Voldemort it just wouldn't work. It be like Lucas casting back in 1983 Milton Berele to play the Emperor. For Voldemort I think they should cast Jermey Irons he would do a great job.

Mr Dust
Jan 8th, 2004, 01:09:05 AM
How about Julian Sands?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001696/

Anyone who's seen the Warlock movies know that he can play a very mean magical guy. I think he'd be perfect. Accent fits, the look fits... everything.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 8th, 2004, 02:17:36 AM
Sands would be a good choice, he is a cheaper Irons, IMO so it would work.

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 8th, 2004, 04:51:31 AM
Geoffrey Rush would make an AWESOME Mad Eye Moody. I was watching POTC just last night, how did I not see this!

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 8th, 2004, 04:56:03 AM
Atkinson cannot break his bean persona to be in the slightest bit intimidating and impressive enough to play the part of VOldermont

Bzzzt. Ever seen him play BlackAdder or the devil? He can be very evil looking and acting when he wants to be. Also, Voldemort hardly looks human. He is also tall and thin..... much like Christopher lloyd was in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. That would count atkinson out for me - too short. Oh, he needs a thin high pitched voice.

Ryla Relvinian
Jan 12th, 2004, 01:44:15 AM
Yeah, I happen to agree with you there, Mark. I saw this on HPANA and although it was brought up by The Sun, he still is going to be someone in the 4th movie... and I think he could be great. I mean, anyone who saw Sweet November (which is a terrible movie) probably didn't think that Chaz/Cherry could be Lucius Malfoy, but that worked, didn't it?

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 12th, 2004, 10:13:35 PM
Well Issacs turned around and did the evil colonel in the Patriot so after that seeing him as a villain was no shock. Atkinson has never played a serious villain. So I wouldn't give him the part.