PDA

View Full Version : City of God

JediBoricua
Jan 1st, 2004, 12:19:54 PM
I got the opportunity to watch this great brazilian film two days ago.

City of God is the most infamous slum, or 'fabella', in Rio de Janeiro. Prepubescent gansters, killings, rapes, etc are the order of the day. The narrator is a kid from there, who manages to stay outside the whole gang war and presents to us a new world.

What's worst, it's all based on a true story. Throughout the credits we are shown the pictures of the real persons and newsbites about the violence.

It's a real violent movie, with a couple of gruesome scenes, but the reality of it all really makes you feel the desesperation of living there.

The cinematography and the frenetic pace of the movie are it's biggest asset.

Highly recommended, check it out.

Dutchy
Jan 1st, 2004, 12:26:49 PM
Yes! One of the best movies I've seen last year. Very creative screenplay and a compelling story.

Cidade de Deus is the original name, btw.

Droo
Jan 1st, 2004, 12:31:05 PM
I rented it when it was released and the next day I went out and bought it. City of God is an amazing film and one of my favourites. I think it's such a shame that ignorance keeps film lovers from this absolute gem simply because it is a foreign language film.

Dutchy
Jan 1st, 2004, 12:31:11 PM
BTW, did you see Amores Perros (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0245712/).

Dutchy
Jan 1st, 2004, 12:32:34 PM
Originally posted by Dru
I rented it when it was released and the next day I went out and bought it. City of God is an amazing film and one of my favourites. I think it's such a shame that ignorance keeps film lovers from this absolute gem simply because it is a foreign language film.

Yep, as with many, many other foreign movies.