PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Dec 31st, 2003, 12:15:35 AM
Okay, a friend of mine that I generally trust just informed me that Peter Jackson and New Line are making The Hobbit come to life as a film as well, stated for December 16, 2006..

Supposedly Ian McKellan is back as Gandalf, and Bilbo will remain the same, as will some of the elves, and there will be a good amoint of attention paid to Smaug.

So, does anyone know anything concrete about this? Last I heard, Jackson wasn't going to do The Hobbit, but, like I said, I usually trust this source. I just don't know the first place to go looking to see if it's real or not.

Darth Viscera
Dec 31st, 2003, 01:10:30 AM
2006?! You mean I have to wait 4 more years to see The Hobbit? posh, flimjaw!

Figrin D'an
Dec 31st, 2003, 01:11:11 AM
Last I had heard, New Line was still negotiating to get the film rights for The Hobbit. I know Jackson had indicated some interest in the project if the film rights could be secured, but it was all pretty much a hypothetical scenario hinging upon what New Line could get done on the legal front.

I'd like to see it happen, and if New Line gets the okay, Jackson and WETA will be off and running with it, I'm sure. At present, though, I have heard little beyond rumor, and I'm guessing that is what your friend has heard. 2006 seems a little early to me, considering that Jackson hasn't even gotten rolling on King Kong yet, beyond some initial casting.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Dec 31st, 2003, 01:23:08 AM
The part that has me doubting its sincerity is that my friend says he has seen the trailer for it. I think it's a false trailer, though, as otherwise we would have heard about The Hobbit being in production by now.

Darth Viscera
Dec 31st, 2003, 01:32:18 AM
your friend is pulling your jive

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Dec 31st, 2003, 01:57:27 AM
I think his jive was pulled, and he honestly thought it was real. I'm having serious doubts now.

ReaperFett
Dec 31st, 2003, 09:28:41 AM
I heard McKellan speak, he said the rights were with another company, so nothing could be done until they were dealt with, and that could be YEARS.

JMK
Dec 31st, 2003, 09:45:24 AM
I'm not going to hold my breath for this to get off the ground that's for sure. Didn't Jackson say something to the effect that he didn't really have any desire to go back to middle earth?

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:03:35 AM
Jackson has said he is willing to do The Hobbit, but there is a rights issue. Universal holds distribution rights, New Line has film rights. Universal would have to know how much The Hobbit could be worth now, so they'll want a big pie share. Well, right now Jackson's doing King Kong, so..... we'll see if it happens. He did say he wants to do a small NZ film after King Kong. Who knows. Jackson + Hobbits = Box Office gold.

ReaperFett
Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:29:51 AM
I think it is about time too though. This will rely on McKellan IMO, and he isn't getting any younger.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:19:19 PM
I heard McKellan say, in an interview, (something along the lines of) how if people "asked Santa nicely, they might just get the Hobbit from Jackson". Here's hoping!

JMK
Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:43:22 PM
Well Reaper is totally right. The characters aren't getting any younger and it would come to a point where it wouldn't make sense to do it any more. I think Jackson is a pretty big stickler for continuity and having people other than MacKellen and Holm as the 2 leads would be less than enticing. I would really hope against it's production if MacKellen and Holm couldn't be secured, no matter how promising it's B.O. take would be.

ReaperFett
Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:55:13 PM
I don't think Holm will be doing it, if I remember right he is undergoing cancer treatment.

JMK
Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:48:09 PM
Really? Damn, didn't know that. :thumbdown

ReaperFett
Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:53:48 PM
He was diagnosed FOTR time and has done movies since, so who knows.