PDA

View Full Version : Ephedra banned

Taylor Millard
Dec 30th, 2003, 01:54:07 PM
Almost surprised I haven't seen a thread on this yet...

From the AP:

AP-Ephedra (Tops)

(Washington-AP) -- Ephedra's days may be numbered. The government has started the process of banning the weight-loss supplement.
Health and Human Services commissioner Tommy Thompson says the scientific evidence of its harmful effects is overwhelming. He says the evidence includes more than 16-thousand adverse incident reports.
The government says ephedra raises blood pressure and has been conclusively linked with serious heart problems, strokes and death.
It's been linked to the death of a Baltimore Orioles pitcher who was trying to lose weight at spring training last February.
This is the government's second attempt to ban ephedra -- the first failed because the evidence didn't go far enough. It likely sets up a court challenge from manufacturers who say it's safe.
Unlike drug safety, the burden of proof with dietary supplements is on the government to prove they're dangerous.
The government plans to publish a final rule in a few weeks and it would take effect 60 days after that.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

What's you guys' reaction to it? Good or bad?

Charley
Dec 30th, 2003, 02:16:12 PM
It needs to be banned. I took it for a few years, and it is not a good thing to use. If you have it in your system, and do any kind of strenuous exercise, it will mess your system up badly.

JMK
Dec 30th, 2003, 08:59:31 PM
I'm very glad to see this garbage banned.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 30th, 2003, 10:20:31 PM
I have no problem with banning it.

Mu Satach
Dec 31st, 2003, 04:14:05 PM
I took it for a while in my early 20's and quit when I started having heart flutters.

imported_Grev Drasen
Dec 31st, 2003, 11:17:15 PM
It shouldn't be banned, but the affects it can have should be emphasized tenfold. I don't think the government should be able to really ban any drug; if people are gullible/dumb enough to use a harmful drug then they're the ones at fault.

Not talking about ephedra, but drugs in general.

imported_Firebird1
Jan 2nd, 2004, 12:51:08 AM
Ban it, I have spent many a night wide awake and nervious because of it.

Mu Satach
Jan 2nd, 2004, 11:01:04 AM
Originally posted by Grev Drasen the affects it can have should be emphasized tenfold.

The thing that really ticks me off about Ephedra is that it's been marketed as an "All Natural" diet aid to boost your energy, curb your appeitite and all that crap. For a while it was in almost "everything" on the shelf in the health nut section of any store. It's my own damn fault I was using it when I was 22, but there was nothing telling me then that, "Oh hey, you could seriously and permanently damage your heart by taking this."