PDA

View Full Version : Cold Mountain Thoughts

CMJ
Dec 30th, 2003, 12:12:45 PM
Wildly uneven. That's how to describe this movie. Is it good? I thought so. Is it great? On the whole no. The opening act or so was dreadful. It had no real flow or purpose. I also felt that the acting was kinda shoddy in the first 35 minutes or so.

About the time the "real" story starts(i.e. the journey of Law's character back to Cold Mountain) the movie picks up tremedously. Alot of the side characters and adventures he meets along the way are great. On the homefront, it's basically the same thing. Once Renee Zellwegger shows up to help out Kidman's character, the film has some great scenes back home.

Kind of a frustrating film to be honest. Alot of potential. A really good bordering on great final 2 hours or so. The first forty minutes really, really weak. Destined to be nominated for tons of awards, but not really worthy of many.

Charley
Dec 30th, 2003, 12:39:31 PM
Law and Kidman have dreadfully bad accents. Like Nicholas Cage in Con Air bad. Makes me want to murder them.

CMJ
Dec 30th, 2003, 02:02:31 PM
I thought Law's was okay. Kidman's was weaker, but not the worst I've ever heard by a long shot.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 30th, 2003, 10:22:29 PM
I am still curious about it, I usually like Civil war movies and I have heard the book is very very good. First CMJ I heard the battle of Petersburg is very brutal and gory. How is it in the movie? Also how did Natalie do? I have read she did a very good job.

CMJ
Dec 31st, 2003, 11:20:57 AM
The battle sequence was pretty good - really chaotic. Natalie Portman was great, but her role was barely more than a cameo.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 31st, 2003, 12:15:20 PM
Cool thanks, I guess that is why Natalie isn't getting any oscar consideration. Still this could help here career.

CMJ
Dec 31st, 2003, 12:47:27 PM
What I will say about the battle sequence....it was done well enough, but at the same time I felt it was kinda misplaced. There was also alot of cutting back and forth between it and flashbacks of Cold Mountain. It was kinda badly edited IMHO.

Really it was part of one of the weakest sections of the film. The battle itself was well done, but it fell in by far the weakest section of the movie.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 31st, 2003, 01:05:32 PM
I still might see it, I am a sucker for Civil War movies, so I am curious about it.

TCM'74
Dec 31st, 2003, 03:45:54 PM
You know Carr, with each post since this thread you become decidely more resigned about seeing Cold Mountain. lol

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 31st, 2003, 08:53:54 PM
Well I do want to see, I say still because of time I am not sure right now when I can see it so I might not get to see it theaters. I would like to see it it looks like a very good movie to me, but I have just got to find the time.

Darth007
Dec 31st, 2003, 10:26:53 PM
no way this movie was awesome, especially if your a civil war sucker. definately see it in the theatre

CMJ
Dec 31st, 2003, 11:20:04 PM
Originally posted by Darth007
no way this movie was awesome, especially if your a civil war sucker. definately see it in the theatre

I'd say see it it as well. But I would never say it was awesome. And by the way I AM a Civil War buff. I'd venture that I own over 100 books on the conflict.