PDA

View Full Version : I KNEW those EEs could damage the market!

ReaperFett
Dec 30th, 2003, 07:58:56 AM
Ask Yog, I definately told him :)

Basic sum-up of my theory: LOTR having EEs is a good idea, but how long before we see 90 minute movies at the cinema as a norm, with an EE being 2 hours long. It works for LOTR, why not American Pie 395?

Presently, it isn't too bad. The odd movie gets multiple releases, the flippers and extra-less DVDs get updated. So imagine my suprise to hear Spider-Man getting a new edition (And was already extra-full), with a quote saying:

"The New Line strategy shows that consumers really will repeat a home video purchase of essentially the same product in a short time frame, provided there is sufficient differentiation between the releases," says Video Store magazine's Judith McCourt.

Watch now as all the major movies do this. One version has the trailer or something, six months later another comes out.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 30th, 2003, 09:05:12 AM
"The New Line strategy shows that consumers really will repeat a home video purchase of essentially the same product in a short time frame,

That is so sad :|

ReaperFett
Dec 30th, 2003, 09:06:29 AM
The worst part is the SHORT time frame thing. If I buy a movie twice, I don't mind so much if the original got some shelf time alone :)

TCM'74
Dec 30th, 2003, 11:06:33 AM
Personally, I only care about deleted scenes and commentaries. The other extras I never really view. Cheap underhanded marketing schemes, a pity.

ReaperFett
Dec 30th, 2003, 11:17:26 AM
I like a nice making of documentary myself. More about on set that pre-production. Daredevil and X-Men's were brilliant. Generally though, A commentary, deleted scenes, documentary and the trailers would do me.

TCM'74
Dec 30th, 2003, 11:42:40 AM
I love commentaries, the more the merrier. Documentaries, especially on older classic films are treasures. But on recently released movies, they usually have about as much quality as those "Making of..." specials shown here in the states on HBO or Showtime.

Charley
Dec 30th, 2003, 11:43:24 AM
Just means that people will keep pirating movies until the full version comes out.

ReaperFett
Dec 30th, 2003, 11:47:24 AM
But they wont. The point is that they have seen BOTH versions sell well, so make more money doing this. If your theory was right, why do the normal LOTR DVDs sell well, hmm?

TCM'74
Dec 30th, 2003, 01:37:06 PM
New Line strategies revealed people refuse to wait. How accomodating to the distributors, waving their bait before the wetted mouths of the consumer.