PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new Gaming System

Tear
Dec 30th, 2003, 04:26:28 AM
I new sooner or later it would come..My Pentium 3, 550Mhz computer is reaching its 5th year and sadly with me starting school in art and design and the new games that are coming out she just cant handle it.

So im scrappin some money together to find myself a new one. So comes my question to you guys. I have a good idea what i want in my new system but im pretty computer illiterate when it comes to the inner workings of my computer. I can put Ram in and out and once attempted to install a Cd burner before figuring out i was missing a wire and took it in. Er..anyway

So do you guys know any good computer websites?To browse over for comps. Ive googled it and such but came up with crap. So any help would be appreciated

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Dec 30th, 2003, 02:55:13 PM
First off, don't get oune touted as a "Gaming Computer," you'll end up spending far more than you need to. Just look for good systems that can be customized up to what you want. I find that Dell has good systems on a consistent basis if you want something to play games on, and they often have good upgrades and freebies.

If you buy an AlienWare computer I will laugh at you forever. And if your computer comes with a neon light inside, I will send you a bag of rice to amplify your cmputer's rediculousness.

Charley
Dec 30th, 2003, 03:00:30 PM
I hear those "Type-R" computers are pretty rad.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Dec 30th, 2003, 03:11:36 PM
*Smack's Charley with a carbon fiber Civic ground kit encrusted with lflashign lights and Japanese stickers.*

Droo
Dec 30th, 2003, 03:19:28 PM
www.newegg.com

Pierce Tondry
Dec 30th, 2003, 03:33:07 PM
www.mwave.com is good for barebone systems. Newegg is better for individual parts that someone intends to assemble together.

Figrin D'an
Dec 30th, 2003, 06:02:54 PM
If you are rather computer illiterate, as you mentioned, you're better off going with a company that can give you a complete system. Of the major manufacturers, Dell is best, IMO. They use pretty good hardware, and I've found them to be very reliable. Customer service has always been good as well. You could get a better deal buying from mwave or newegg, but both fall into the "some assembly required" category.

Eminy Xaviery
Jan 1st, 2004, 08:27:57 PM
Dell, Dell, Dell. They're really not that great. I guess if you are looking for a bargin PC they'd be the best choice. They do have some good hardware and freebees. Of course no one here ever thought to look at Sony. I'm currently browsing on a Sony VAIO PCV W-10. Which isn't the best out. Sony computer are designed for mulitmedia and gaming, but they don't come with the hafty price tag some others come with like Alienware.

Of course don't take my word for it. I have a friend who is an expert when it comes to PCs. Give him your budget and what you want your PC to do. He'll not only find a good PC for you, he'll tell you where it is. He can even build you one, if you trust him with your cash that is ^.-

You can reach him at jj@djsmarketingstore.com
or you can check out Sony's line of PCs at www.sonystyle.com
if you would like you can check Dell and HP at
www.dell.com | www.hpinvent.com
Alienware is a great choice btw, but they run from $2,000 to $4,000.

Figrin D'an
Jan 1st, 2004, 09:05:15 PM
Originally posted by Eminy Xaviery
Dell, Dell, Dell. They're really not that great. I guess if you are looking for a bargin PC they'd be the best choice. They do have some good hardware and freebees. Of course no one here ever thought to look at Sony. I'm currently browsing on a Sony VAIO PCV W-10. Which isn't the best out. Sony computer are designed for mulitmedia and gaming, but they don't come with the hafty price tag some others come with like Alienware.

VAIOs are terrible machines. Average-at-best hardware, poor chassis cooling, and limiting if you want to upgrade. I've read about (and experienced) more horror stories involving Sony VAIO machines than I have any other major brand name computer. Sorry, for a gaming machine, or even just a good all-purpose system, there are far, far better choices.

Alienware is a great choice btw, but they run from $2,000 to $4,000.

If you want to be ripped off, then yeah, they're a wonderful choice.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jan 1st, 2004, 09:52:12 PM
Sony's are not built for graphics any more than an E-Machine is.

Sony makes great laptops, their screens are lovely, and their come with boatloads of features, but their desktops are overpriced and not nearly as good as they claim. A computer is a sum of its parts, and Sony only used middle-ground parts in theirs, much like the mid-level Dell.

I had a Sony laptop and loved it. I do graphics and design and things like that, but would never, EVER consider a Sony desktop because ther are totally overpriced. I might as well buy a Mac if I felt like getting ripped off.

Don't knock Dell. Out of all of the mavor manufacturers, they offer the largest selection of good stuff, and are often very well priced. If he wanted a laptop to watch DVDs on, then I'd say Sony. He wants a gaming computer, meaning he wants high end desktop parts. Pleasel, leave this discussion to those who actually know something about comptuers. I would wager you think a Saturn is a good car, too.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 1st, 2004, 10:06:12 PM
Dell, Dell, Dell. They're really not that great.

Sony computer are designed for mulitmedia and gaming, but they don't come with the hafty price tag some others come with like Alienware.
Alienware is a great choice btw, but they run from $2,000 to $4,000. Get out of the thread.

mwave will assemble and install windows on a custom setup of your choice. If you know what you're doing, buy parts from mwave/newegg. Mwave's barebones are a good way to save time, too.

What is your budget?

Tear
Jan 1st, 2004, 11:29:13 PM
oOo lots of info, thanks guys its much appreciatead. I checked out Dell the other day and they didnt look too bad. If i bought some parts like a decent video card and stuff to install in afterwards.

Take in mind i am canadians so my buck doesnt bounce as high as most of yours does. :p But roughly im looking to spend around $1200.

Another site ive found is atic (http://atic.ath.cx/index.php) canadian too.

The computers main purpose will be animation and graphics since im starting school for that shortly...not to mention gaming :rolleyes

nope. I have a good big ole monitor. Good brand new surround sound speakers, brand new keyboard, mouse( those usually come with no cost though) just looking for the system.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jan 1st, 2004, 11:43:55 PM
Is that $1200 including the monitor? If it is, then I'd actually reccomend saving a little while longer and getting the most powerful machine for your money. No Celerons. Not for what you're doing, at least.

Droo
Jan 2nd, 2004, 08:44:59 PM
He wont need more than $1200 for a gaming system, not even a top of the range gaming system. It all depends on who you buy the system from and if you are smart enough not to be charmed by nonsensical numbers and statistics. For example, I've just visited the Time Computers website (I don't know if they distribute to or in the US) and the first thing I saw was a computer with an AMD Athlon 2700+, 512MB DDR RAM, 128MB GeForce 4 video card and a monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024. All for £699.00.

What more do you need? Baring in mind that system comes with a 120GB hard disk and a 52x CD-Rw drive along with all the usual bits and pieces. That's more than good enough.

Anything higher than that, particularly if we're talking package deal PCs is a complete rip-off and they essentially rob you of your money at twice the price of that PC listed with hardware which is improved by a slight margin or two. In any case, forking out anything more than $1200 for a complete system is totally unneccessary as far as I'm concerned.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jan 3rd, 2004, 01:33:27 AM
Dru, he's talking $1200 Canadian. Canadian=less than American by a decent margin.

Droo
Jan 3rd, 2004, 03:48:51 AM
Ahhh! Okay, in which case I've no idea how much he should or shouldn't spend on a computer.

Tear
Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:10:24 AM
Roughly 1200 american is 930 Canadian.. But you should remember most of the sites im looking at the computers are roughly 1-2000..Canadian too. Im looking for something local or a canadian branch of a company. I dont really want have it shipped from the U.S because that gets expensive fast.

But yeah..looking at some of the prices saving could be a plan :p

Of course since im mentally retarded when it comes to hardwave and such im naturally dooped into thinking so and so 200 is better then 100 when sometimes..it isnt.

So if you guys are poking around bored with nothing to do..mind throwing together and posting a system that would fit my needs? Something to look for in the computers im browsing through would be helpful and keep me from oogling things that has a few more 00's behind it then others...The Dell Dimension XPS looks nice..:rolleyes

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:54:19 AM
Don't you mean $930 American is $1,200 Canadian? I thought the American dollar was worh about $1.34 Canadian right now.

Tear
Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:37:45 PM
Er..yeah thats what i meant, sorry :p I did it late so i was a bit dozey

Morgan Evanar
Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:04:20 PM
http://atic.ath.cx/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=03727 looks really excellent if you upgrade the video card. Just make sure you can.

Eminy Xaviery
Jan 5th, 2004, 01:28:52 PM
I was just attempting to offer good advice based on my own experience. I don't even think we're talking about the same Sony here. Sony desktops run for $800-$1200 not much higher than Dell. Also I NEVER leave ANY threads. I'd only do that if an admin tells me to. Who the HELL do you think you are?!!! I will offer any and all advice I have to give. So shut the HELL up!!! I CAN'T believe any adminastration of any board would allow such personal attacks on anyone. If any of you admins are reading this. Something should be changed!!

P.S. Pontiac and Chevy are good cars, Saturn's not all that great.

Originally posted by J'ktal Anajii
Sony's are not built for graphics any more than an E-Machine is.

Sony makes great laptops, their screens are lovely, and their come with boatloads of features, but their desktops are overpriced and not nearly as good as they claim. A computer is a sum of its parts, and Sony only used middle-ground parts in theirs, much like the mid-level Dell.

I had a Sony laptop and loved it. I do graphics and design and things like that, but would never, EVER consider a Sony desktop because ther are totally overpriced. I might as well buy a Mac if I felt like getting ripped off.

Don't knock Dell. Out of all of the mavor manufacturers, they offer the largest selection of good stuff, and are often very well priced. If he wanted a laptop to watch DVDs on, then I'd say Sony. He wants a gaming computer, meaning he wants high end desktop parts. Pleasel, leave this discussion to those who actually know something about comptuers. I would wager you think a Saturn is a good car, too.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jan 5th, 2004, 01:30:13 PM
Sony desktops are crap. Point has been made, you were wrong.

Get over it.

You want a good car? Buy a Subaru or a Toyota.

Eminy Xaviery
Jan 5th, 2004, 01:36:44 PM
Look, why do you insist on making fun of me? What did I do. All I did was bring up Sony, okay. I felt he should consider it. So why are you pratically calling me an idiot! We don't agree, that doesn't make me stupid.

Figrin D'an
Jan 5th, 2004, 03:00:14 PM
Look, why do you insist on making fun of me? What did I do. All I did was bring up Sony, okay. I felt he should consider it. So why are you pratically calling me an idiot! We don't agree, that doesn't make me stupid.

You're confusing debate with malice. Becoming agitated isn't going to help.

You recommeded looking into a Sony VAIO box, saying that they were good for multimedia and gaming. There are at least three people who completely disagree with that statement, and feel that those machines are sub-par. Are we to not make our opinions and experiences known for the sake of avoiding argument? The topic starter is looking to spend his own money for a good system. If someone makes a statement that is wrong, or is a poor recommendation, they're going to get called on it, because there are number of board members whom are very well versed in computer hardware.

If you want to say that VAIOs are great machines, fine. Just keep in mind that, especially in "hardware recommendation" threads, your opinion is going to be criticized because it's seen by many as a poor one.

Sanis Prent
Jan 5th, 2004, 03:43:00 PM
I CAN'T believe any adminastration of any board would allow such personal attacks on anyone. If any of you admins are reading this. Something should be changed!!

Objection overruled. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200

TheHolo.Net
Jan 5th, 2004, 03:49:56 PM
I CAN'T believe any adminastration of any board would allow such personal attacks on anyone. If any of you admins are reading this. Something should be changed!!Please do point out the "personal attacks" specifically? All I see is a difference of opinion, not someone attacking you personally.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 5th, 2004, 03:52:20 PM
P.S. Pontiac and Chevy are good cars, Saturn's not all that great. Bwhahahaha!
Wait.

HAHAHAHHAHA!
Same cars in some cases. Do some research before you open that mouth of yours. I can list three american cars I would buy happily right now: Pontiac GTO, Chevy Corvette, and the Caddillac CTS-V.

The fact that you're making recommendations based on so little is dangerous.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 5th, 2004, 03:54:56 PM
Lets try to avoid hijacking this topic too much more gang.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 5th, 2004, 06:43:41 PM
:: Reads thread with great amusement - LOL about Pontiacs or Chevs being good cars! ROTFLMAO!!! NO!!!! Most USA cars are awful! Pontiac GTO isnt even American, although I know Morgan knows that quite well. End hijack ::

I'll also backup what was said about the Sony's, they are rotten. They are still the ugliest of machines to support and still are no where near as good as even the average Dell.

I'd recommend Dell anytime. I've bought enough of the damn things over the years, must be in the several hundreds now at least. Never really any issues, only real complaint is lousy phone support. And too many steps on their web site to grab drivers and updates. Generally, cant really go wrong

However, to save the dollars, custom built will be cool. Morgan knows the best parts better than I do, but for a decent system, go for a Athlon 3200XP+ if your budget can go that far. Give yourself about 1Gb of at least PC2700 (PC3200 is best) DDR memory. A good ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard. A good case that comes with extraction fans, a power supply of at least 400w, A Radeon 9600 or 9800 128/256 mb depending on cost, then either a Seagate or Western Digiatal 120Gb (or more) ATA hard drive, or if you can swing it, SATA HDD. 19 inch flat screen CRT.

The Pentium IV HT/EE chips are pretty good from experience. For about 1.2K AUD in hardware, I set up a 3.0 HT/EE with 1Gb PC3200, 80Gb Seagate, gigabtye board, Radeon 980, DVD writer plus some other bits and a 19 inch Benq monitior. It was a very, very nice bit of machinery and recommended. I personally an using a Athlon 3200XP+, pretty much as described. I have an absurd amount of disk drive more and a crappy MX440 (right now) vid card.

Charley
Jan 5th, 2004, 10:31:20 PM
If you know how to custom, by all means do so. You save beaucoup cash money buying from online wholesalers, and circumvent crap you don't want on your computer anyways.

If you aren't up to task, Dell rocks. I got my third computer from Dell (first two were IBM Aptiva's way back in the day). The computers are pretty well rounded, powerful, and economical for what you get. I've been fortunate that my computer has kept up with the ravages of time, mostly due to Dell's warantee policy, and me learning how to upgrade hardware.

Start with the Dell, but I recommend learning the guts of your machine. I'm still getting acquainted to it, and it pays off big time.

Eminy Xaviery
Jan 6th, 2004, 01:33:49 PM
Upon rereading my topic I retrack earlier statement on the attacks to my personal inttilgence. Please be more careful on HOW you object. Please keep in mind that I am NOT a computer expert. I just have a friend who is. I do, however, like you have my own opinions. SWFans, I would like to ask is it right for them to tell me to leave a disscussion, because my opinion differs from there's.

BTW I recently talked to my friend. He says: "Sony's are great for Mutlitmedia software, but they lack in hardware. For great hardware at a great price go with Dell." So in conclusion you were right and I was wrong.

We won't continue with the whole car thing, because that is simply a matter of opinion.

Eminy Xaviery
Jan 6th, 2004, 01:36:37 PM
BTW he also recommended building or costumizing. He said: "That way you know EXACTLY what is in your computer. This will help you get the most out of you games and other software."

TheHolo.Net
Jan 6th, 2004, 01:53:09 PM
SWFans, I would like to ask is it right for them to tell me to leave a disscussion, because my opinion differs from there's.That can be asked, but then you don't have to do what is asked by a community member either, now do you?

Eminy Xaviery
Jan 6th, 2004, 01:59:10 PM
No I don't and didn't, but that doesn't exactly make me feel wanted.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 6th, 2004, 02:09:21 PM
Its not my responsibility to make the community members make you feel wanted. Its my responsibility to see that this site is run acording to the rules set forth in our FAQ.

It is an impossibility for me to see to it that all people, with their varrying ways of thinking which I can't possibly completely fathom entirely, are made to feel 'welcome" by everyone they may converse with.

What one person sees as warm and friendly, another could easily see as snide, vindictive and nastily sarcastic.

This is just a disagreement of opinions. You have every right to feel strongly about your own, but to make it into a big scene instead of moving on to try and get along with everyone in another discussion isn't the best path to take. :)

Eminy Xaviery
Jan 6th, 2004, 02:38:50 PM
Sorry I didn't mean for it to seem like that was your job. Now why don't we just get this poor thread back on topic.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 6th, 2004, 08:52:03 PM
Cool, everything's kosher! :)

And back on topic, as a PC tech head myself (A+ certified) I too would recommend building your own to those capable, but in this instance would also suggest Dell. Its the place I sent my own mother 3 years ago, and she has had great success with the purchase. She lives out of state else I may have built her one myself, though 3 years ago building your own wasn't as affordable as it is nowadays. :)

Morgan Evanar
Jan 6th, 2004, 09:14:44 PM
Yeah, the difference between rolling your own and a storebought was even bigger. :)

Dells are good, just try and make sure it has an AGP slot.

Sanis Prent
Jan 7th, 2004, 01:14:18 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Dells are good, just try and make sure it has an AGP slot.

:grumble can't stress this enough

JediBoricua
Jan 7th, 2004, 05:40:29 PM
Glad to hear you guys think so highly of Dell.

I'm on the verge of getting one, a Dimension 8300. It really has all I need for under a 1000 bucks.

But I must ask, what's an AGP slot?

TheHolo.Net
Jan 7th, 2004, 05:46:56 PM
Its an internal slot (attached to the mainboard) which you can use to upgrade/change your PC's video card in the future. Many pre-built PCs have "integrated" video cards (built into the mainboard) and no AGP slot, and as such are unable to have their video output system upgraded.

Sanis Prent
Jan 7th, 2004, 05:54:59 PM
There are also compatibility issues with certain kinds of AGP. For instance, my old mobo had 2x AGP (I think, at least). I was able to use the original Ge2 card, which was 2x. Also, I could use my new Ge4 card, which was 8x AGP. However, I tried to upgrade to a 4x AGP mobo. Doing this made my 8x AGP card incompatible, though I was somehow able to use my 2x AGP card.

Its kinda frustrated me to insanity.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 7th, 2004, 06:03:28 PM
Most new PC purchases will have a mainboard with an 8X AGP port, which should be compatible with any AGP card.

Sanis Prent
Jan 7th, 2004, 06:09:04 PM
Yup, which is why I'm in the market for an 8x board.

Tear
Jan 7th, 2004, 09:57:38 PM
Thats a nice one Boricua around my price range too. Plus i like the case..i hate unscrewing those damn things. Beat me to the AGP question too..think ill google it though.

Thanks for your help guys i really appreciate it. I think i will go for a dell. Seems like the best buy for the price range + what i can do until i can learn enough to assemble my own. You think i might save a few bucks if i got the cheaper optional bits then buy the more expensive ones and have them installed?

Ive fiddled with the prices a bit and sometimes it looks like if i save more going with a cheaper part. Then the money i save can go to buy the better and then get it installed. I guess it might depend on the labour though..curses..im gonna take a computer / electronics course :p

Morgan Evanar
Jan 7th, 2004, 10:33:06 PM
Install the extra bits yourself. You will get yanked unless you have an experinced friend to it for you.