PDA

View Full Version : No gas for you, its bad for the baby!

Charley
Dec 30th, 2003, 01:39:48 AM
So I'm sitting in the dentist's chair this morning, and it's time to pay the piper for a year of too much sugar and too little time to schedule for dental appointments.

Not one cavity.

Not two cavities.

How about three cavities, all at once.

Now I'm sitting there, in the best spirits I can possibly be in the face of such things, when I find out that my usual dentist isn't doing the fillings. Its a woman dentist instead. Now, I'm not some kind of misogynist or anything. It could've been a guy and I'd be miffed. I'm a big fan of familiarity. I like seeing the same dentist that I've seen since I was born. I think he's a swell guy, and pretty damn competent. Now, while this makes me uncomfortable, I'm cool with it. Sometimes, things get busy, and thats ok.

Now, the female dentist and the orderly are about to prep me (topical novacaine, then injections (4 of them)) and I notice one important thing. They haven't strapped the ol' nosepiece onto me. Naturally, I'm curious.

"Wait, don't I get any nitrous?"

The female dentist smiles sweetly at me and says, "No, I'm sorry. I'm pregnant right now, and I can't use nitrous. It's bad for the baby and all."

I can appreciate wanting to do whats best for your kid and all, but this kinda defies good reasoning. Why is she doing fillings? Why not give her the regular check-ups and teeth cleanings. Calmly, I continue.

"Is there any way I can get the gas? I'd pull the macho guy routine for you if it was one filling. I don't think I'm the man to go commando on three of em though."

It made her kinda mad. She told me she'd see if she could swap shifts with my usual dentist, and walked out. I waited 30 more minutes for my regular dentist to come in. Now, in the immediate throes of nitrous-induced lunacy, I considered asking my dentist to make sure that the female dentist knew I was sorry for the inconvenience, but I thought better of it. After all, she's in a spot that puts her around patients who want that kind of anesthesia. It irks me that my insistence for gas would make her mad. It shouldn't, but it does. That's like a construction worker getting miffed about wearing a hard hat because it will mess his hair up.

Hina Amaterasu
Dec 30th, 2003, 02:18:14 AM
That does seem kindof ludicrous.. I personally would wonder how she was planning on administering the gas, that would put her in a position to inhale it in amounts that could prove harmful to her child though.. I know I for one wouldn't want someone working on my mouth who's just taken back a few good lungfuls of anaesthesia...

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Dec 30th, 2003, 02:19:23 AM
I dont think she had any reason to be mad about it. Shes willingly working at a job where many people ask for nitrous and in your case (and others, Im sure), the lady dentist should be prepared to switch with the other dentist.

If she had read your chart, she could have seen you preference and instead of making you ask for the gas, could have voluntarily asked what youd like to do.

imported_Grev Drasen
Dec 30th, 2003, 02:42:48 AM
Why didn't you kick her in the stomach.

Tear
Dec 30th, 2003, 03:12:53 AM
Ive never had gas for my fillings..whats up with that? Then again they were all in baby teeth n fell out so i was young at the time, maybe thats why.

But she was pregnant? From what ive heard that isnt the most emotionally stable time in a womans life. (what time is?:p ) *hides*

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 30th, 2003, 04:12:16 AM
Maternity leave?

Crystal
Dec 30th, 2003, 06:17:26 AM
Maternity leave doesn't begin as soon as you get pregant, I'm pretty sure it's only a little while before labor.

ReaperFett
Dec 30th, 2003, 07:18:50 AM
You inconsiderate! Be a man, take it like you should! ;)

We don't even have gas over here, and IIRC I had FOUR cavities last time! :)

Quay'Na Rakai
Dec 30th, 2003, 09:47:34 AM
Oh, you guys, I don't use anything. Haven't since I was probably 16. I hate that nasty numb feeling that makes your tongue feel like its swelled so much you're going to gag on it.

Now when I get my wisdom teeth cut or when I get teeth pulled, yes give me something!!!!

But, just for a drilling a filling, zip, nothing. You just concentrate on other things and it's over in no time. There was only one time I was close to saying, ok...give me something and my dentist answered. "I'm almost done." So, gripped the arm rests, closed my eyes and let him finish.

One of my daughters did that the last time she had a filling, she's 8 and she hates shots and they don't have the gas. I couldn't believe she went through with it, I was truly amazed.

Ishan Shade
Dec 30th, 2003, 10:25:29 AM
Originally posted by Tear
But she was pregnant? From what ive heard that isnt the most emotionally stable time in a womans life. (what time is?:p ) *hides*

.........:lol

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 30th, 2003, 10:51:59 AM
From what ive heard that isnt the most emotionally stable time in a womans life. (what time is?:p ) *hides*

i hate you! of all the sexist remarks ive ever - *sigh* im hungry and tired and want a hug

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 30th, 2003, 11:34:55 AM
:hug Luv ya, s'Il!!

I'm dreading going to the dentist, I'm sure all my teeth are rotten. :uhoh

But nitrous for FILLINGS? Charley you're a baby. :mneh

Darth007
Dec 30th, 2003, 11:59:34 AM
haha I have a dentist appointment today, and it figures I read this right before I go :lol

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Dec 30th, 2003, 01:34:43 PM
Tear = dead man walking :verymad

:mneh

AmazonBabe
Dec 30th, 2003, 05:52:26 PM
Never had a cavity in my life! Neener neener neeeeeeeeeeeeener! :p

(Wow, that was mature :lol)

Seriously, though, the lady shoulda read the chart and defaulted to "Gee, this guy might want some happy gas, so maybe I should hand it over to someone else." It's also possible she was being hormonal.

Slayn Cloak
Dec 30th, 2003, 06:01:43 PM
Whatever, I wouldn't even care that she was pissed; Really charley it is your money... and I just realized for the past however many years, I've been spelling your name wrong. Man, you've never said anything about it... LMFAO

Alpha
Dec 30th, 2003, 07:06:03 PM
I like Nitros. :) Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

Lady Mylia
Dec 31st, 2003, 02:01:45 PM
I hate people poking around in my mouth! I've never had a cavity either... (knock on wood) thank goodness... going to the dentist drives me insane... it never works out how it's planned... last time I went I was supposed to have a cleaning... they got started and then realived "Oh, she can't have this today..." then stopped... I've haven't been back... that was a couple months ago... but I need to go back soon... my wisdom teeth are cutting... it hurts.... >_<

Brielle Acaana
Dec 31st, 2003, 02:03:32 PM
You are warm and fuzzy, Alpha ;)

Alpha
Dec 31st, 2003, 07:26:47 PM
Well, right now I'm cold and fuzzy. :) Except not as fuzzy as before. :) No beard. :D

ReaperFett
Dec 31st, 2003, 07:28:04 PM
Originally posted by Alpha
No beard. :D
NO LONGER DOES HE MOCK ME! :D :)

Alpha
Dec 31st, 2003, 07:40:11 PM
I still got the goatee, oh "One-who-cannot-grow-facial-hair" :D So, yes I still mock you. :) ^_^

ReaperFett
Dec 31st, 2003, 08:00:40 PM
I can grow facial hair, just not a beard :)

And I don't WANT one anyway! :)

Zasz Grimm
Dec 31st, 2003, 08:41:44 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville

But nitrous for FILLINGS? Charley you're a baby. :mneh

ya. it's pain+++ without it. your crazy.

Originally posted by Grev Drasen
Why didn't you kick her in the stomach.

you and your SA inspired remarks. i knew there was a reason i am training you.

:love

Seteth Morters
Jan 2nd, 2004, 09:26:38 AM
We just get the drill straight away here - no painkiller at all. its like *fizzzzzzzzzzzzclickbzzzzzzzzzzzzzfizzzzzzzzzclick clickclickbuzzZZZZZzzzzZZZZZ*

Ryla Relvinian
Jan 2nd, 2004, 02:13:07 PM
But nitrous for FILLINGS? Charley you're a baby.

Seconded. :P

And let me just add that I hate laughing gas... I have very bad experiences with drugs. Of course, the laughing gas experience (sounds like a band name) wasn't nearly as bad as the hallucinations and full-body muscle spasms that I had as a result of some nasty anti-nausea drugs. *shudder* I'll pass, thanks.

Abagael Zellan
Jan 2nd, 2004, 02:21:29 PM
The one time they gave me laughing gas, I was giggling too hard for them to do any work. That was the best trip ever. I had no peripheral vision with it and everytime the dentist leaned in I thought to myself, "Hey, this is like ER!"

Now I just get shot of Novacaine. Promlem solved. :)

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 4th, 2004, 12:24:24 AM
Wait a bit. If the nose thingy is on YOU and the gas goes right in through the hose and the nose thingy and into your nostrils, then it wouldn't affect her, right? I'd be worried if the mask thingy was leaky. I don't care how drugged up I am, if the dentist is drugged up too, then there's really no point.

In short, how was it bad for the baby? I don't really see how the stuff can get to her.

Ryla Relvinian
Jan 4th, 2004, 12:55:50 AM
Well, maybe she's just a moron already and every little bit helps to push her spawn further down the slippery slope.

It could happen.

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 4th, 2004, 10:14:51 PM
I wouldn't be surprised. At least she's keeping her baby's best interests in mind. She's probably a first time mother, so it's not that big a deal.

Kelt Simoson
Jan 4th, 2004, 10:51:56 PM
I can do nothing but giggle Charley, forgive me...:lol

Sanis Prent
Jan 4th, 2004, 11:13:34 PM
what