PDA

View Full Version : IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN!

AmazonBabe
Dec 28th, 2003, 06:41:35 PM
January is a Jedi Council voting month! So, time to get set and all! :)

We need to start with a nomination thread. Here's the old one from last September:
http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31742&highlight=nomination

I believe we gave a week for the nominations, though due to the holidays, maybe two weeks or at least a week and a half might be neccessary this time around?

Once that's completed, we get down to the nitty gritty of it all... the voting thread. Here's the old one from last September:
http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31899&highlight=voting

The voting lasted for the whole month I believe.

Anyhoo, if you all don't have any objections, I have no prob in starting the nomination thread come Jan 1 (Or shall we start it on Jan 2 for New Years sake?... Or should we start it now?)

Estelle Russard
Dec 28th, 2003, 07:44:18 PM
Start it now and leave it a good 2 weeks imo. Give ppl lots of time to nominate.

ps: time is accelerating, im convinced of it!

Figrin D'an
Dec 28th, 2003, 08:05:25 PM
I don't see a problem with starting the nomination thread early. I'd like to see better results than our previous two elections, so maybe more time is the answer.

Navaria Tarkin
Dec 28th, 2003, 08:14:05 PM
yeah I agree last voting was less then spectacular =\

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 29th, 2003, 03:12:23 AM
Yeah. We didn't even need voting :x

AmazonBabe
Dec 30th, 2003, 03:36:21 PM
Okeydokey! I shall start the thread now. :)

EDIT:
The thread has been started!
Here it be: http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33719

:)

Navaria Tarkin
Dec 30th, 2003, 10:59:20 PM
:thumbup

too bad Zeke had to ruin it -_-

Figrin D'an
Dec 31st, 2003, 01:14:02 AM
What did Zeke say? I missed it completely.

Ryla Relvinian
Dec 31st, 2003, 06:30:05 PM
*shakes fist at Xazor*

That is all. :)

Oh and thanks for being on top of this, Rie. You rock. ;)

Navaria Tarkin
Dec 31st, 2003, 06:37:49 PM
that whole dont start with the accusations stuff -_-

edit - which it was taken care of.. thanks SWfans.. sorry But I couldnt bite my tongue.. joke or no joke, accusation stuff just ruffles my feathers... I am pretty sure others don't like it either :)

Figrin D'an
Dec 31st, 2003, 08:14:33 PM
I'm still confused... but, oh well.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 31st, 2003, 08:19:25 PM
Zeke added to his nomination with an additional sentence that said something along the lines of

"And don't even start with the 'you're biased because you're his brother' accusations."

Then Nav didn't realy say much except that wasn't needed, but I edited both posts just to be fair and to cause less confusion.

Navaria Tarkin
Dec 31st, 2003, 08:25:26 PM
:lol

I am very confusing apparantly :(

ah well :) I just didnt like his tone.. stuff like that isnt necessary in the vote thread. Just the facts ;)

TheHolo.Net
Dec 31st, 2003, 08:27:50 PM
Originally posted by Navaria Tarkin
:lol

I am very confusing apparantly :(

ah well :) I just didnt like his tone.. stuff like that isnt necessary in the vote thread. Just the facts ;) I completely agree that his tone had nothing but asshole written all over it. I just edited so as to keep it from continuing in a debate or whatnot.

AmazonBabe
Dec 31st, 2003, 09:42:04 PM
Thanks for catching all that and taking care of it, Ogies. :)

Oh and thanks for being on top of this, Rie. You rock.

It's my pleasure. I enjoy helping out when I can. :)

Figrin D'an
Dec 31st, 2003, 10:07:29 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
Zeke added to his nomination with an additional sentence that said something along the lines of

"And don't even start with the 'you're biased because you're his brother' accusations."

Then Nav didn't realy say much except that wasn't needed, but I edited both posts just to be fair and to cause less confusion.

Danke Schon. The clarity is appreciated.

Zeke seems to be rather angst-ridden lately. I'm willing to let it slide for now, but we should keep an eye out for it in the future.

Nav... everything about you is confusing. But that's why we like you. ;)

:mneh

Ryla Relvinian
Jan 1st, 2004, 12:18:21 AM
Yeah, we'd hardly know what to do with you if you were, like, normal and stuff. ;)

AmazonBabe
Jan 1st, 2004, 02:23:07 AM
Normal? What's this "normal" you speak of? :p

Navaria Tarkin
Jan 1st, 2004, 12:22:50 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Nav... everything about you is confusing. But that's why we like you. ;)

:mneh

^_^ I feel da wuv

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2004, 12:51:41 PM
Alright folks... rant time.

I'm getting a little annoyed by our elections. For the second consecutive term, we've ended up with only 9 candidates because of withdrawn nominations, thus making the voting portion completely pointless.

I'm sure those who have withdrawn their names from this and past elections have legit reasons. Fine. Please consider the following however:

- If you know that you are going to be busy, don't put your name in the running. You're jerking around everyone by doing so.

- If you have something come up unexpectedly, please let the staff know before you just announce that you're withdrawing.

If this keeps happening, we need to reduce the size of the council. Apparently, there aren't enough nominees to support a nine person group. This and the previous election have been completely castrated by this combination of factors, and it's wholely unfair the rest of the Order to have their voices made all but irrelevent.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 18th, 2004, 04:15:44 PM
Fig, Rie and I withdrew because we made something concrete on saturday while I was visiting her and Joe.

The only reason the rest of the order seems to have no voice is because they don't use it.

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2004, 05:17:08 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
The only reason the rest of the order seems to have no voice is because they don't use it.

That's not necessarily the issue. We can't force people to vote. But for those that do contribute and vote, it takes away what say they have on the process.

Yes, I'd like to see more people voting. But I doubt even making it manditory for all members would do much good.

I do get the distinct impression that at least part of this stems from people seeing the Council as near useless... a dead body to which people are voted as reward for being popular (or at least well known) in RP. To be honest, that's not far from the truth. "Why bother voting on something that isn't going to affect me?" seems to be the common mentality.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:28:44 PM
I didn't mean just voting, I meant in general. You don't really hear much from anyone but a regular in terms of input.

Estelle Russard
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:28:45 PM
I would have thought the whole "nomination" process would have given the opportunity for ppl to have a voice.

I am surprised there were not more nominations. Perhaps we just dont have that many eligible Knights..?

Figrin D'an
Jan 20th, 2004, 02:12:02 AM
The more thought I put into this, the more I'm sold on one of two solutions:

- Reduce the Council size to make the elections more competitive and generate more interest.

or

- Have a new election, and make the Council a permanent body... members are elected for "life," unless they step down or become unable to perform the required duties. When a seat opens up, have a election to fill it.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 20th, 2004, 06:16:16 AM
Both sound like good ideas to me, although I think a smaller council would need to have more frequent elections

Navaria Tarkin
Jan 20th, 2004, 08:36:32 PM
sorry all I had a crisis of the hospital kind -_-

I was saddened to see the elections turned out the same as last time =\

<thinks>

The council for life might not be too kosher with the entire GJO.. maybe I am wrong ... course if the attitude is the council means nothing .. then it wont matter.

Smaller council won't make it any better tho... the possibilty is that there still wont be enough people around to fufill the needs of RPing threads... i think it might be more valuable to find a nitch that the Council is a part of so that way it DOES matter

<thinks some more>

Ryla Relvinian
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:49:10 PM
Why don't we present this choice as a vote to the current Jedi ranks? I like both ideas but I'd go for a combination: a council with seven members, three of which are lifetime members (or whatever number) and the other four are elected periodically and have designated tasks, for example, one of them is responsible for helping out new recruits, one for the administration of initiate classes, one for planning out missions etc... That way, people are going for specific positions rather than a vague group.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 21st, 2004, 07:54:59 AM
That sounds good to me, Ryla :thumbup

Estelle Russard
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:57:41 PM
I like Ryla's idea also.

I also think reducing the council inst the best plan (although 7 would be ok) as not everyone is around all the time. It helps if there are more as it keeps the council more accessible.

we could also try a poll of - what would you like your council to do for you, kinda dealy, to give more structure and expectations to those elected...?

Morgan Evanar
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:13:45 PM
That would be a really good idea.

Figrin D'an
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:26:05 PM
Originally posted by Estelle Russard
we could also try a poll of - what would you like your council to do for you, kinda dealy, to give more structure and expectations to those elected...?

This is contingent upon people actually responding and giving input, but it's worth a try.

I'll write something up once I'm done editing the FAQ.

Figrin D'an
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:43:20 PM
Do we want to start a thread on this now? I can open it up, and let all of you who have made suggestions repost them there for everyone to read and comment upon.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:50:45 AM
Go for it.

Figrin D'an
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:05:31 AM
http://69.56.186.201/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34021

Have at it, d00ds.

Estelle Russard
Jan 24th, 2004, 01:34:24 PM
good job Fig.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 9th, 2004, 02:04:21 PM
le bump.

are we going to make any changes or just let this drop?

Figrin D'an
Mar 9th, 2004, 06:38:43 PM
The changes still need to be made, IMO. Time alone isn't going to fix the problems we've had.

I'd go for reducing the Council size to 7 seats next election.

The mission thing has been proposed before, and didn't really work because it seemed to involve more effort than most people wanted to put forth. I'd be willing to try it on a trial basis, and see how it works.

Although, I also tend to think the Yavin expedition being conducted by Morg and AB will provide some nice change and variety as well.

Speaking of which... how are we handling this? Do we want a another forum specifically for RPs relevant to what will take place on Yavin IV?

Morgan Evanar
Mar 9th, 2004, 06:58:48 PM
Lemme hash some stuff out. :)

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 9th, 2004, 08:49:13 PM
Speaking of which... how are we handling this? Do we want a another forum specifically for RPs relevant to what will take place on Yavin IV?

I think this is a good idea.. that way people can get into the mindset of what yavin is like... also, good idea to keep them separate... be kinda confusing to have coruscant and yavin threads all together unless they are tagged.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 10th, 2004, 10:13:45 AM
I like the new forum idea too :thumbup

Estelle Russard
Mar 10th, 2004, 10:30:12 PM
me too

Morgan Evanar
Mar 10th, 2004, 10:53:46 PM
I think we only really need three forums

Grounds Proper - handling council like and grounds functions.
Training - I couldn't tell you what this is for, for the life of me.
Mess Hall - not Yog's at all. No bloody monkeys can show up, because you're in Yavin IV, BFE.