PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I got to thinking....

Valin Hsa
Dec 27th, 2003, 05:53:32 PM
...I want to make, like huge explinational thread, with tons of wonderfully written posts and lots of detail, to explain the background story of a certian character, but I always hit two problems.

Do I put in Storytelling (yay!), or Roleplaying (yay as well!)?

And why must I always be lazy and never finish it!?!?!?!

I'm inspired, but I'm also lazy, and if I make one post, that's great and wonderful, the rest seem like crap.

So does anyone have any ideas/solutions to my promblem, or maybe just some words of encouragement???

(oh for those who don't know who I am, well :p I ain't telling, and Admins/mods/whatever will like check my IP and find out who I am so I dun care)

imported_Grev Drasen
Dec 27th, 2003, 05:58:10 PM
Storytelling sounds about right unless you want other people to participate.

Valin Hsa
Dec 27th, 2003, 06:00:36 PM
Oh, yeah I forgot about that, I want other people to parttake in this glorious idea, just I don't know who!

(I'm pathetic and I KNOW it -.-;; )

imported_Grev Drasen
Dec 27th, 2003, 06:04:18 PM
Well, if you want it open I'd suggest Roleplaying. If you want it closed and want certain people to post I'd suggest Storytelling.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 27th, 2003, 08:05:21 PM
Grev is right. If you want random people to join it without your foreknowledge, by all means put it in RPing. If you have something specific planned and want to really have control over it (i.e. closed) put it in Storytelling.

*gives Grev a cookie* :)

Slayn Cloak
Dec 28th, 2003, 12:24:27 AM
I find the best way is too actually plan it out... I mean, really just know what you want to get done, and random people are fun, but also dangerous; A random person can totaly ruin a thread. Also sometimes it's good to hold back a little, if you have a great idea, then you can kind of, space it out.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 28th, 2003, 06:54:09 AM
planning makes it boring. though. if you know everything that's going to happen, in every post, it can be dull.

Pierce Tondry
Dec 28th, 2003, 01:12:47 PM
And it can also feel like a long trudge through the thread, especially if you're one of those detail fanatic people who has to have everything JUST so.

Slayn Cloak
Dec 28th, 2003, 05:45:49 PM
No, I meant more like knowing what you wanted to happen. Knowing what you want keeps it fluid...

Morgan Evanar
Dec 28th, 2003, 05:59:34 PM
Well, for my bigger RPs, I like to have waypoints. Basically, certain events that are inevitable in the story arch. Its a good compromise between unpredictablity and coherency.

ReaperFett
Dec 28th, 2003, 06:38:55 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Well, for my bigger RPs, I like to have waypoints. Basically, certain events that are inevitable in the story arch. Its a good compromise between unpredictablity and coherency.

I agree. The problem with merticulous detail is if ONE person deviates, your plan can be screwed. It's alright for a scene or two, but I wouldn't go any further.

Pierce Tondry
Dec 28th, 2003, 06:39:18 PM
I agree with you Morg. I use that as my own approach these days because it just makes life so much easier.

Slayn Cloak
Dec 28th, 2003, 07:02:55 PM
Well there you go, that's basically what I wanted to say.