PDA

View Full Version : My Account

Salemn Lysce
Dec 27th, 2003, 03:28:36 PM
Okay, so I get on the boards without logging in and suddenly I see on the "Who's Online" is Jibrielle Abunai. Now, that's one of my characters and I am thoroughly confused. So, I logged in as Salemn Lysce and she's STILL on. I'm going to change all my passwords but ... is someone really on my account or is Netscape going all buggery on me ? O_o

Jibrielle Abunai
Dec 27th, 2003, 03:32:09 PM
Alright, just logged in on this account ... Nothing seems to be messed around with.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 27th, 2003, 08:03:15 PM
You probably just need to clean out the cookies on your computer. Happens to everyone from time to time. I had to do mine last month 'cause I had a shadow called Arya following me around the boards.

Also, don't use Netscape.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 28th, 2003, 10:16:18 AM
Um, you do know the later versions of Netscape are written on top of Mozilla, right?

www.mozilla.org

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 28th, 2003, 10:42:46 AM
also, you can log into multiple names with the various urls (www.sw-fans.net, sw-fans.net, etc), so you might have clicked a link on the boards, to a thread/page, that was on the alternate url, where the other account was logged in.

if that makes sense.

Salemn Lysce
Dec 28th, 2003, 10:48:40 AM
Thanks guys. :) Everything seems to be okay now.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 28th, 2003, 02:15:13 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
...so you might have clicked a link on the boards, to a thread/page, that was on the alternate url, where the other account was logged in.This was the most likely cause. Links to other threads within threads almost always use hard coded URLs, which can often be different than the one you normally use. Such an instance would leave an account logged on via thta linked URL if you logged out of the other URL.

Pierce Tondry
Dec 28th, 2003, 11:01:54 PM
Question: is there a way to, uh, soft-code URLs so that they keep you on whatever link you happen to be on?

TheHolo.Net
Dec 28th, 2003, 11:11:38 PM
You have to actually do HTML links and do them in what is called relative addressing. A relative link to this thread would look like this in HTML:

<a href=/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33675>My Account</a>

Take notice there is no http:// part in the URL used, that is what makes it "relative", relative to the URL already in the person clicking the link's browser. Relative links cannot be done via bbcode/vbCode, only HTML and links of this nature will only work within the same website. (you could not use a relative link like this to link from a post at Meras to a thread at Fans). I do all of my board links via relative addressing in my posts, to help keep the "account logged in" for viewers consistent.

Pierce Tondry
Dec 29th, 2003, 02:12:55 AM
Thanks for explaining that. I'll use it in the future when I have to link something for people's peace of mind.

Here is a gift for you in return.