Dec 19th, 2003, 05:58:51 PM
The Hulk
X2: X-Men United
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Peter Pan
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Each of the contenders will submit fifteen-minute reels from each of the films, which will be screened for the visual effects award nominating committee on Jan. 21. The members will then nominate three of these seven films for Oscar consideration. The finalists will be announced along with nominations in 23 other categories on January 27. Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2003 will be presented on February 29.

No Matrix suprisingly.

I think ROTK is the most likely, but Hulk has an outside chance. Pirates of the Carribean to get the third nomination.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 19th, 2003, 07:28:46 PM
I still like to see X2 get nominated.

Jedieb
Dec 19th, 2003, 08:19:49 PM
I think it's bizarre that there's no Matrix nominations. Find what fault you will with the story, but I find it hard to believe any group could rank all of those films ahead of the Matrix films. Not that I think the Matrix should win, but to not even be nominated?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 19th, 2003, 08:22:06 PM
Yeah it is surprising maybe they two movies knocked each other out in the nomination process, other wise I am not sure. It is really surprising considering the first one was the new hot movie that one the award last time.

Charley
Dec 20th, 2003, 01:49:24 AM
I'm pleased to see the Matrix out of it. They brought nothing to the table. The stuff they did outside the matrix was LAME CG crap. Really trash.

The stuff in the third one wasn't really that innovative. They didn't deserve the invite.

Then again, neither does the Hulk IMO.

WETA's job on RotK, while showing some wonkiness in parts, seems the most solid job.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Dec 20th, 2003, 04:53:27 AM
From what I've seen of it so far, Peter Pan could be pretty frikkin' cool.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 20th, 2003, 05:21:14 AM
There were some excellent CG work in Revolutions. I'd have thought that would have been nominated for sure. Big surprise there.

I think ROTK is pretty much the only lock on this group.

Jinn Fizz
Dec 20th, 2003, 08:56:24 AM
Outside of ROTK, I'd pick X2, purely on the strength of Nightcrawler's bampfing scenes, and Pirates of the Caribbean, because the skeletal crew of the Black Pearl was jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The Hulk's CGI was unfairly maligned by many folks--while not perfect, it was much better than a lot of people gave it credit for--but the bad press pretty much dooms its chances. I saw Master and Commander, very good movie, but I'm surprised to see it on this list. Matrix Reloaded...eh, nothing new, and it was too obviously CGI. Didn't see Revolutions, so I can't comment on that, and same with T3. (Although I have not seen ROTK, but I feel safe in figuring it has a lock on a nomination.) I do plan to see Peter Pan, though, so I'm glad to know I'm going to be seeing a movie with what's potentially award-winning visual effects. After I see it, I might have to change my picks, but right now, it's ROTK, X2, and Pirates of the Caribbean. :)

Charley
Dec 20th, 2003, 10:31:55 AM
Marcus, where was the excellent CG in Revolutions? I looked and couldn't find it.

X2's Bamf is awesome, but I'm not sure if that's enough to carry it.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 20th, 2003, 11:33:05 AM
There is the tornado effects too I thought those were very cool.

Sanis Prent
Dec 20th, 2003, 11:34:10 AM
Meh. Its been done before though.

ReaperFett
Dec 20th, 2003, 11:45:08 AM
X2 had very good SFX, I just don't think it would win due to them. Unless the people look for BAD SFX not good, where it could stand a chance. X2 was faultless, ROTK had a few iffy parts.

And personally, I feel Hulk was as great a CGI achievement as Gollum, yet were so different. Gollum had to look like a deformed human, Hulk a monster with human-ness. Most people criticising Hulk (Note MOST. I know some had genuine reasons) that I heard in various media would just compare him to Shrek and that's it (I still say they should have done Grey Hulk :)) . But detail wise, both were outstanding. You could see the dirt, the grime, the sweat.

Charley
Dec 20th, 2003, 12:07:45 PM
Grey hulk would've been awesome, but hard to explain. I expect it in any sequel they do.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 20th, 2003, 12:23:31 PM
I think the Hulk wont' get nominated because of the criticism, but that is just my opinion.

ReaperFett
Dec 24th, 2003, 11:56:50 AM
COnspiracy theory time:

This shortlist is decided by a committee. That committee is drawn from the visual effects industry and of course that includes people from Lucasfilm. In fact, as the largest employer in the visual effects business is Lucasfilm (more specifically ILM) this committee was dominated by people from that company.
Note some facts: (1) no visual effects work on Matrix II & III was given to ILM (2) John Gaeta, overall effects supervisor for Matrix II & III made this statement [ninemsn.com.au]: I've heard the 'Star Wars' people boast about shooting frames that are 97 percent digital, and lo and behold, the movies are soulless...They traded the whole idea of depth in filmmaking for this supertechnological hype. It helped us focus our own philosophy: the story drives everything. as well as other public attacks on George Lucas. (3) John Gaeta surprisingly won the Oscar, instead of ILM, in 1999 and (4) 5 out of the 7 movies that were 'longlisted' were ILM productions.

It should now be clear exactly what happened.

As a result the academy, as a whole (or even the visual effects chapter), don't even get a chance to consider Revolutions.

JediBoricua
Dec 24th, 2003, 12:20:25 PM
Oh yeah right...

If that were true why hasn't any of the prequels won the award?

The Matrix sequels had excellent f/x, but it was more or less the same as the original, so screw 'em.

The other nominees had really good scenes that made them stood apart IMO. Pirates had the underwater march, Hulk had the fight with the dogs and other good scenes, ROTK had Gollum, Shelob, the Oliphaunts charge, etc, and X2 had Nightcrawler.

While Reloaded and Revolutions had more techno babble, a blob of robot machines and some more bullet time.

The quote says 5 of 7 were ILM production...is that correct?

I know that Master and Commander and ROTK were WETA. Did ILM did the other 5?

ReaperFett
Dec 24th, 2003, 12:45:42 PM
JB, some points.

- ILM dominates the comitee for SHORTLIST, not the voting.

- Revolutions had the docking bay fight, VERY visually impressive IMO.

- I think it's right about ILM. Definately did Hulk.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 24th, 2003, 03:45:25 PM
WORST. CONSPIRACY. EVER

It's sour grapes from a idiot who said, and I quote "The bar has been so raised, it'll never be exceeded" Oh, really? Seems ROTK managed it quite well.

Tough crap for them. They won in 1999 and rightly too. It doesnt matter, ROTK by the sounds of it is the absolute front runner. There was no way Revolutions was going to win this time.

Jedieb
Dec 24th, 2003, 08:14:15 PM
That's a ridiculous theory. If CMJ weren't home visiting his folks he'd shoot more holes in it than the plot of Revolutions. :evil

ReaperFett
Dec 24th, 2003, 08:23:45 PM
Like what holes? I don't agree wth it, but it could happen :)

TCM'74
Dec 25th, 2003, 01:58:04 AM
What a hypocritical not to mention preposterous double standard accusation. :\

Jedieb
Dec 25th, 2003, 12:09:36 PM
What a hypocritical not to mention preposterous double standard accusation.

o_O

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 25th, 2003, 12:48:07 PM
Lol I think he refers to this

Note some facts: (1) no visual effects work on Matrix II & III was given to ILM (2) John Gaeta, overall effects supervisor for Matrix II & III made this statement [ninemsn.com.au]: I've heard the 'Star Wars' people boast about shooting frames that are 97 percent digital, and lo and behold, the movies are soulless...They traded the whole idea of depth in filmmaking for this supertechnological hype

yeah it is hilarious I remember when the Matrix people took some shots at Lucas saying basically the Matrix focuses on story and characters unlike Star Wars. Well according to 90% of critics the Matrix sequels are more souless movies than the Star Wars prequels. Heck the first two SW prequels were fresh according to RT (62% for TPM, 64% for AOTC) The Matrix are both below that I think they might be both below 50% (I know reloaded is). I think the reason the movie isn't giving any awards is because of how badly the films have fallen, plus they haven't done anything new in terms of visual effects. Nothing noteworthy at least.

TCM'74
Dec 25th, 2003, 02:00:09 PM
Yeah, that's the statement I was referring to. lol :angel

ReaperFett
Dec 25th, 2003, 05:44:59 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
yeah it is hilarious I remember when the Matrix people took some shots at Lucas saying basically the Matrix focuses on story and characters unlike Star Wars. Well according to 90% of critics the Matrix sequels are more souless movies than the Star Wars prequels. Heck the first two SW prequels were fresh according to RT (62% for TPM, 64% for AOTC) The Matrix are both below that I think they might be both below 50% (I know reloaded is). I think the reason the movie isn't giving any awards is because of how badly the films have fallen, plus they haven't done anything new in terms of visual effects. Nothing noteworthy at least.
As said on another board, "Irony, thy name is John Gaeta" :)

Jedieb
Dec 26th, 2003, 09:06:34 AM
The B.O. drop off from Reloaded to Revolutions was pretty sharp. I think it was a combination of dissapointment in Reloaded (which I rather liked) and an unsatisfying ending in Revolutions. And the critical bashing both received didn't help any either. But the main reason I think both missed out on nominations was that they cancelled each other out. (Damn, do I vote for the one where they show his butt or the one that they don't....) So, Hollywood's Gay Mafia votes for one Matrix flix, and the other chooses Trinity's death. Well, when you think about it, that might have gotten a few Gay Mafia votes as well. Spite I guess. Ah, screw it, the Hulk probably threatened the voters.

I think it was a mistake to release them so close together. They movies needed some more time and they didn't need to compete against each other.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 26th, 2003, 09:33:21 AM
Well it was WB stupidity there or ego not sure which. I think they also didn't want to have a Harry Potter and Matrix movie come out in the same year (I heard that some where) and when Harry Potter got delayed becuase of a multitude of reasons (from a director change to Radcliff wanted a few extra months to go to school). That forced Harry to go to summer of 2004, plus WB has Troy in 2004 so I think they had no choice in the matter. Also I remember that at one time they were thinking about releasing it in May and August that would have been worse, IMO.

ReaperFett
Dec 26th, 2003, 10:39:13 AM
They wanted to do back to back from the start, because the story progresses like so. LOTR had endings, Reloaded didn't really.
Originally posted by Jedieb
But the main reason I think both missed out on nominations was that they cancelled each other out. (Damn, do I vote for the one where they show his butt or the one that they don't....) So, Hollywood's Gay Mafia votes for one Matrix flix, and the other chooses Trinity's death.
What vote? It's a comitee, I'd assume this means discussions?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 26th, 2003, 10:49:01 AM
Yeah Matrix's endings weren't great. Also I am still not convince that the sequels were needed but hey that is my opinion.

ReaperFett
Dec 26th, 2003, 11:24:40 AM
Gave me something to like in the series ;)

TCM'74
Dec 27th, 2003, 01:51:45 AM
I agree with you Carr, I hated both of the Matrix sequels. The original film was fine by itself. Huge disappoints.

Jinn Fizz
Dec 28th, 2003, 04:42:53 PM
I disliked Reloaded so much that I skipped Revolutions. From what I hear, I didn't miss much. And overall, the effects in Reloaded weren't all that oooooo-aaaahhhhh. It was basically more of the same.

Now, after having seen Peter Pan today, I would have to firmly kick X2 out of the top 3 (still adore the movie and think Nightcrawler rocks), but Peter Pan's visuals are superb. Absolutely superb. Definitely Oscar-worthy.