PDA

View Full Version : Saddam Hussein Captured!!! Merry Christmas!!!

Lion El' Jonson
Dec 14th, 2003, 06:53:13 AM
Hussein Captured
Bremer: 'We Got Him'
By Bradley Graham
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, December 14, 2003; 7:36 AM

Former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein was captured by U.S. troops during a raid on a farmhouse near Tikrit, U.S. officials said in a news conference in Baghdad today.

"We got him . . . ," L. Paul Bremer, Iraq's U.S. civilian administrator, said when making the announcement. "The tyrant is now a prisoner . . ."

Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the top U.S. military commander in Iraq, described the operation and said that "not a single shot was fired."

Sanchez said Hussein, who was hiding in a "spider hole" dug near the house, was talking to his captors and "being cooperative." Video of Hussein, with a long gray beard, getting a medical checkup after his capture was shown by Sanchez. Then, he showed video of the man after he had been shaved and compared that to earlier photos of Hussein.

Continuous celebratory gunfire could be heard in Baghdad as the news of Hussein's possible arrest spread across the Iraqi capital.

The capture of Hussein has been a high priority for U.S. forces since last spring's invasion, but the former Iraqi leader had proven elusive despite a $25 million reward that the Bush administration offered for information that led to him.

U.S. authorities had received numerous tips about possible hiding places for Hussein and suspect they were close to nabbing him on a few occasions. Hussein's two sons, Uday and Qusay, were found in July in a house in Tikrit and died in a firefight with U.S. troops.

From his hideouts, Hussein continued to taunt U.S. authorities, issuing periodic audio tapes urging resistance to the American-led occupation. To spearhead the search for him, the Pentagon established a group of Special Operations forces known as Task Force 121. In recent months, U.S. forces have focused on hunting down mid-level former Iraqi officers and mid-ranking onetime Baath Party operatives in hopes they could provide intelligence that might lead to Hussein.

Although frustrated by the length of time it was taking to find Hussein, U.S. commanders had repeatedly expressed confidence they would eventually find the former Iraqi leader. At the same time, they said that Hussein's capture would not by itself end the insurgency that has swelled during the past few months.

Washington Post staff writer Barton Gellman in Baghdad contributed to this report.

American forces capture Saddam in Tikrit, U.S. announces
By Hamza Hendawi, Associated Press, 12/14/2003 07:35

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) American forces captured a bearded Saddam Hussein, hiding in a hole in a farmhouse cellar near his hometown of Tikrit, the U.S. military announced Sunday. The arrest was carried out without a shot fired and was a victory for the U.S.-led coalition eight months after the fall of Baghdad.

''Ladies and gentlemen, we got him,'' U.S. administrator L. Paul Bremer told a news conference. ''The tyrant is a prisoner,'' Bremer said.

Bremer said that Saddam was captured Saturday at 8:30 p.m. in a cellar in the town of Adwar, 10 miles from Tikrit, ending one of the most intense manhunts in history.

In the capital, radio stations played celebratory music, residents fired small arms in the air in celebration and others drove through the streets, shouting, ''They got Saddam! They got Saddam!''

At the news conference announcing his capture, U.S. forces aired a video showing a bearded Saddam being examined by a doctor holding his mouth open with a tongue depressor, apparently to get a DNA sample.

Then a video was shown of Saddam after he was shaved.

Iraqi journalists in the audience stood, pointed and shouted ''Death to Saddam!'' and ''Down with Saddam!''

Saddam was being held at an undisclosed location and that U.S. authorities had not yet determined whether to hand him over to the Iraqis for trial, Sanchez said.

Forces from the 4th Infantry Division along with Special Forces captured Saddam, the U.S. military said. There were no shots fired or injuries in the raid, called ''Operation Red Dawn,'' said Lt. Gen. Richardo Sanchez.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair welcomed Saddam's capture.

''This is very good news for the people of Iraq. It removes the shadow that has been hanging over them for too long of the nightmare of a return to the Saddam regime,'' he said in a statement released by his office.

Trapped in the cellar, Saddam was in a six-to-eight-foot-deep ''spider hole'' that had been camouflaged with bricks and dirt. The soldiers saw the hole, investigated and found him inside, Sanchez said.

The video showed an air vent and fan inside the hole to allow Saddam to remain hidden for an extended period.

Shop owners closed their doors, worried that all the shooting would make the streets unsafe.

''I'm very happy for the Iraqi people. Life is going to be safer now,'' said 35-year-old Yehya Hassan, a resident of Baghdad. ''Now we can start a new beginning.''

Earlier in the day, rumors of the capture sent people streaming into the streets of Kirkuk, a northern Iraqi city, firing guns in the air in celebration.

''We are celebrating like it's a wedding,'' said Kirkuk resident Mustapha Sheriff. ''We are finally rid of that criminal.''

''This is the joy of a lifetime,'' said Ali Al-Bashiri, another resident. ''I am speaking on behalf of all the people that suffered under his rule.''

In Tikrit, U.S. soldiers from the 4th Infantry Division, the unit that is responsible for security in Saddam's hometown, were smoking cigars after hearing the news of Saddam's capture.

Despite the celebration throughout Baghdad, many residents were skeptical.

''I heard the news, but I'll believe it when I see it,'' said Mohaned al-Hasaji, 33. ''They need to show us that they really have him.''

Ayet Bassem, 24, walked out of a shop with her 6-year-old son.

''Things will be better for my son,'' she said. ''Everyone says everything will be better when Saddam is caught. My son now has a future.''

''This success brings closure to the Iraqi people. We now have final resolution. Saddam Hussein will never return to a position of power from which he can punish, terrorize, intimidate and exploit the Iraqi people as the did for more than 35 years,'' Sanchez said.

After invading Iraq on March 20 and setting up their headquarters in Saddam's sprawling Republican Palace compound in Baghdad, U.S. troops launched a massive manhunt for the fugitive leader, placing a $25 million bounty on his head and sending thousands of soldiers to search for him.

Saddam's sons Qusai and Odai each with a $15 million bounty on their heads were killed July 22 in a four-hour gunbattle with U.S. troops in a hideout in the northern city of Mosul. The bounties were paid out to the man who owned the house where they were killed, residents said.

A Governing Council member, Jalal Talabani, told Iran's official news agency, IRNA, that Saddam's detention will bring stability to Iraq.

''With the arrest of Saddam, the source financing terrorists has been destroyed and terrorist attacks will come to an end. Now we can establish a durable stability and security in Iraq,'' Talabani was quoted as saying.

Boy, what a Christmas Present! :D

I caught the preliminary report just as I was turning on my TV for a round of Halo on my Xbox. Everybody in America will be waking up to this news. Lieutenant General Sanchez was great during the press conference. He's so serious, I broke out laughing; the Army loves their acronyms and codenames!

And, watching the Press Conference...well, apparently at least a couple of Iraqi's are happy that he's in Coalition Hands, judging by the way they were on their feet and screaming insults at the TV monitors for 10 minutes straight. :lol

It's like Christmas come early! Ho-ho-ho! What a way to begin my Christmas Break!

~Lion~

Darth Viscera
Dec 14th, 2003, 07:07:44 AM
beat ya to it (http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33518)

Lion El' Jonson
Dec 14th, 2003, 07:10:44 AM
You wascally wabbit...:lol

Apparently, the Imperial Remnant has maintained its efficiency. :D

Darth Viscera
Dec 14th, 2003, 07:12:58 AM
yeh, either that or i've been bored since 2:30am, waiting for something dramatic to happen and refreshing my favorite sites every 10 mins.

Lion El' Jonson
Dec 14th, 2003, 07:18:33 AM
Well, I'm living in Beijing, so I have an excuse for being awake at this time. :p

To all who read this thread: Visc beat me to the punch. Long live the King.

ReaperFett
Dec 14th, 2003, 08:34:08 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39633000/jpg/_39633981_saddamcaptured203.jpg

Either the Fellowship has lost their Dwarf or Christmas presents wont be delivered this year ;)

Ace McCloud
Dec 14th, 2003, 12:28:26 PM
I'm so happy...I can't express my joy. =D

Azhure Darkstone
Dec 15th, 2003, 12:38:57 AM
Propaganda mixed with truth mixed with suspicion and fear mixed with scapegoat mixed with an intrixically barbarous nature and a lot of different private and public reasons for this whole war on terrorism. This news is probably good for a lot of people, including Osama's own people, but there are some things that make me sad, but it's up to you to dicipher what I meant by the beginning of my response.
I agree he's dangerous, but thats only one person down with a lot of powerful barbarous people around - who don't happen to be hunted down. Pray God just don't install another bad government and I'll have a higher opinion of this affair.
I'm not getting into my beliefs on this issue lol, everyone's entitled to their say, and hopefully a lot of innocent people and collateral damage havent suffer too much.

Lion El' Jonson
Dec 15th, 2003, 01:07:20 AM
I agree with you Az, this definitely isn't the end of our troubles in Iraq. Saddam may have been the head of Iraq, but his capture certainly won't stop the attacks on Coalition forces. Still, we accomplished a goal. It's interesting how nobody is crying "WMD'S!!!" at the moment; the capture of Saddam seems to have cast a smokescreen over that issue for now.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 15th, 2003, 01:13:25 AM
If the USa hdnt been so damn insitant that it was about WMD, no one would care. There were bloody good reasons to wipe Saddam off the earth. It's a pity the USA and aliies picked the least reliable one.

Lion El' Jonson
Dec 15th, 2003, 01:42:30 AM
Agreed, Marcus. Personally, I feel that the liberation of several million human beings from a cruel and overbearing regime would be reason enough for the campaign. Add to that the humanitarian abuses Saddam and his Regime have carried out, and the fact that Iraq is at odds with its neighbors at least twice a decade...

I suppose that the USA insisted that there were WMD's because they needed something to bait the UN with. Despite the fact that the United Nations didn't take the bait (not really, anyways), people automatically assumed that this whole war was about chemical and biological weapons. When none were found, it sort of overshadowed the whole Coalition effort. What a pity.

Darth Viscera
Dec 15th, 2003, 02:52:07 AM
Originally posted by Azhure Darkstone
Propaganda mixed with truth mixed with suspicion and fear mixed with scapegoat mixed with an intrixically barbarous nature and a lot of different private and public reasons for this whole war on terrorism. This news is probably good for a lot of people, including Osama's own people, but there are some things that make me sad, but it's up to you to dicipher what I meant by the beginning of my response.
I agree he's dangerous, but thats only one person down with a lot of powerful barbarous people around - who don't happen to be hunted down. Pray God just don't install another bad government and I'll have a higher opinion of this affair.
I'm not getting into my beliefs on this issue lol, everyone's entitled to their say, and hopefully a lot of innocent people and collateral damage havent suffer too much.

I'm not quite sure what to think of this. If you're so far gone as to be willing to allow your personal political beliefs to actually prohibit you from feeling joy at the thought that a genocidal madman will face justice at the hands of his victims, then I pity you, and I hope you get better soon.

Jarek T'chort
Dec 15th, 2003, 04:10:55 AM
I was happy he caught. I was pretty stunned when they said on the BBC that the Iraqi's should have the power to execute him. Of course he should be executed, I say to throw him to a crowd of Iraqi's, I'm sure they woud make short work of him.

Oh and my Texan buddy won't stop boasting how it was a Texan unit that caught Saddam too. =)

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 15th, 2003, 10:22:59 AM
My pastor thanked God for Saddam's capture during church yesterday. That's when I first heard the news. I'm gla dthey got him, but it's what to do with him that's the tricky part, I think.

Rognan Dar
Dec 15th, 2003, 03:28:15 PM
I agree with Wei. I told my dad, (after hearing at church, also) and he said that they might put him under house arrest for the rest of his life. And I said something about sending him to jail and my dad replied: 'But who's prison? The United States? The UN? Germany? Where are they going to lock him up?'

Ace McCloud
Dec 15th, 2003, 03:57:10 PM
I say we throw him on some desert island, like we did with Napoleon.

Rognan Dar
Dec 15th, 2003, 04:19:35 PM
Why not just assasinat him instead? It would be faster.

Telan Desaria
Dec 15th, 2003, 05:38:52 PM
Banishment is for the fallen men who once had a shred of honor. I do not know if he did. But he was a patriot - but one that opposed the almighty America, and so evil.

The quandry. Ah!!!

Give him to Russa. No one that has ever been sent to a Siberian Gulag has ever escaped, unless under guard...

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 15th, 2003, 06:40:22 PM
What will happen is he will be tried by the Iraq's the details of what he did will be exposed and then he will be lead out into the desert, shot in the back of the head and the body cremated by the Iraqis.

The USA will agree to this, because no one wants revenge more against him than the Iraqi people. It will look good politically too. The USA will grind him in interrogations for a few motnhs, when he's been throughily goatse'ed, he'll be handed over.

Rest assured, the rest of his life will be very misreble

Telan Desaria
Dec 15th, 2003, 08:10:58 PM
I've had my share of Amerikan justice. The guilty are pardoned on technicalities of law. Rapists walk free and brag because they were not 'read rights.' Molestors and pedophiles are given free reign becuase some paperwork was improperly shuffled. Saddam Hussein is guilty of atrocities - that I do not dispute. But Amerikan justice is a misnomer. The Saudis know how to treat criminals. Unlike America, their prisoners DO NOT live better than those on the street working for a life.

I would rather seem him walk free without a fuss than America botch another tribunal on principle. After all, the innocent at Nuremberg were hanged while the guilty went free.

*In reference to Nurnburg - Grossadmiral Erich Raeder was given prison sentences as was Albert Speer, men who tried to save German honour. The US hated them and so away they went. Alfred Seyss Inquart, head of the Reichsbank, went free even though he lorded over a fortune in desposited gold teeth.

Silus Xilarian
Dec 15th, 2003, 09:04:46 PM
then leave. Or at least start spelling 'American' correctly.

Azhure Darkstone
Dec 15th, 2003, 09:28:12 PM
As long as we're stating our opinions in this matter - which isnt healthy and will end up in an arguement....

This whole thing is political more than moralistic, as are many things in politics in many powerful countries, when it comes to Osama. He's a madman but he's also been a pawn of politics and power as well. Don't get me wrong, I don't like him any more than I like raw fish (and that's not saying much) but I'd rather still be suspicious about the whole affair until it's over. It still smells fishy to me. A lot more innocent Iraq people have died than the soldiers themselves. I'm not dishonouring the soldiers because I'm sure they fought believing they were doing the right thing, and maybe they were, and I'm sure they died bravely like dignified humans.

To celebrate his capture sure, but sometimes it's better to look at the big picture and celebrate when the whole mess is done, if there is anything to celebrate about. There is a long way to go from here and frankly I'm not entirely sure we should be feeling secure about America, Terrorists or any place else, including Australia, involved in this mess.
Those in power or who want power (or vengeance) from others always end up with collateral damage. You tell me whats right and wrong depending on who's point of view it is.

I love the American people I know and I also know some Iraq people living in Australia and they are just as beautiful and it disgusts me to see people like you and me die. I for one will never celebrate when it comes to this issue because there is nothing to celebrate when it comes to war accept when it's over. This is not over.

Darth Viscera
Dec 15th, 2003, 09:40:20 PM
Well all those Iraqis who were jumping up and down, handing out candy and yelling "Death to Saddam!" sure did seem to think there was something to celebrate about.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 15th, 2003, 09:52:28 PM
Originally posted by Telan Desaria
I've had my share of Amerikan justice. The guilty are pardoned on technicalities of law. Rapists walk free and brag because they were not 'read rights.' Molestors and pedophiles are given free reign becuase some paperwork was improperly shuffled. Saddam Hussein is guilty of atrocities - that I do not dispute. But Amerikan justice is a misnomer. The Saudis know how to treat criminals. Unlike America, their prisoners DO NOT live better than those on the street working for a life.

I would rather seem him walk free without a fuss than America botch another tribunal on principle. After all, the innocent at Nuremberg were hanged while the guilty went free.

*In reference to Nurnburg - Grossadmiral Erich Raeder was given prison sentences as was Albert Speer, men who tried to save German honour. The US hated them and so away they went. Alfred Seyss Inquart, head of the Reichsbank, went free even though he lorded over a fortune in desposited gold teeth.

TEEEEEEROLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Back under the bridge, mate!

Azhure Darkstone
Dec 15th, 2003, 09:53:29 PM
As I said, 'good for some' and 'who's point of view'.
They see their side, and I can't wait to see what kind of government is going to be put in. As a bystander who hasnt suffered what they have and lost relatives and people I love because of war I don't celebrate. They don't celebrate war, they celebrate an end to the destruction their country has been suffering by foreign and local hands. Do they need something to celebrate? We celebrate christmas with maybe a present or two and a tree and family. Some of them celebrate with rubble and dust. Let them celebrate but while you celebrate let's not forget who's point of view it is. I was expressing mine.
I don't know but I'm going to guess things arent going to become any easier for them for quite a while. And I'm sure you've noticed I will take quite a political look at this because I'm fortunate enough not to be included in the triangle of terrorism.
Look, if you want to celebrate go ahead, just don't expect others who dont think war is the first answer (and was in this case - let's not forget that the UN refused to call for war) to celebrate.

And further more I'm not attacking you personally, I actually like spirited political fights (but thats just me) and I think your a fine person from what I've seen so don't get the impression I think your a w*nk. A lot of people tend to think that, just before things get nasty.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 15th, 2003, 10:21:56 PM
Originally posted by Telan DesariaThe Saudis know how to treat criminals. Unlike America, their prisoners DO NOT live better than those on the street working for a life. Yeah, aren't the Saudis guilty of some human rights violations? Oh yeah, women voting, and uh, walking free, they aren't too keen on that. I'm sure you could find a better example than Saudi Arabia.

http://www.saudihr.org/en/welcome.asp yeah, really just.

PS: The c is on the left hand side of the keyboard.

Zasz Grimm
Dec 15th, 2003, 10:57:12 PM
Originally posted by Silus Xilarian

imported_Taja Loraan
Dec 16th, 2003, 04:57:27 AM
This is so depressing. =[

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 16th, 2003, 05:16:22 AM
Which part of 'this'?

imported_Firebird1
Dec 16th, 2003, 04:10:10 PM
Well, atleast we got him. Saddam will cause no one any more pain.

Tear
Dec 16th, 2003, 04:38:46 PM
Well..When they caught Saddam the first thing that hit me was a surprised kinda shock. I saw it on the french channel "Captured" and a picture of Saddam above. Was like Wah..no..then i flicked it to CNN and sure enough they were spammin away with reports that they caught him.

I think i was happy that you yanks caught him. Now that hes held prisoner and cant harm anyone else. Especially see'ing him a shattered man of what he used to be. Living in squallr(lol thanks Lil..oh you might wanna fix your qoutes *snicker*) and not in the luxury he was accustomed to, which felt like a fitting end.

My philosophy for the death penalty is sort of an eye for an eye deal. If you kill someone purposely, you yourself, should be put to death. I also think Rape should warrant the death penalty as well but thats another topic for another time.

Although its not really my place on earth to judge if a man's life should be taken. Im pretty sure Saddam should be put to death for what he has done. Especially to be left for his own people to deal with him as they would with their own customs/beliefs etc.

...you amerikans.:p oOo that bugs you doesnt it?..amerikans..amerikans.:crack

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 16th, 2003, 06:10:28 PM
Living in squaller(sp?) squallor

:)

Zeke
Dec 16th, 2003, 06:31:49 PM
Originally posted by Zasz Grimm

Germans spell "America" and "American" with a K, because their C doesn't make the necessary sound to pronounce "America" correctly. Calmness, please.

ReaperFett
Dec 16th, 2003, 07:30:48 PM
Zeke's right. Further more, "then leave" means squat. Why? "I dislike one thing the government does, I must leave"? Wether you agree with him or not, he is entitled to an opinion.

Telan Desaria
Dec 16th, 2003, 07:47:30 PM
Thank you all. And Zeke as well. I am sorry. when typing fast, I tend to revert to German spellings for proper nouns et al. My apologies to those I have offended wth my choice of letters.

America has some merits, but it also has some flaws. As much as I would like to say differently, Germany is not perfect either.

And what does Terol mena????

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 16th, 2003, 08:19:25 PM
he was calling you a troll, darlin'

TheHolo.Net
Dec 16th, 2003, 08:26:03 PM
Thread warned in reference to FAQ section V.L.1
Political and Theological Discussions: As a rule, heated political and/or theological discussions are not allowed in the OOC forum and will be closed at the discretion of the staff. History of these forums show that discussions such as these usually only promote OOC conflict with posters and a general negative atmosphere within the forums.

Ace McCloud
Dec 16th, 2003, 08:40:44 PM
Just...pretend we're all in character :D