PDA

View Full Version : Saddam Hussein Has Been Captured

Darth Viscera
Dec 14th, 2003, 04:20:18 AM
http://www.cnn.com/

>
BREAKING NEWS

Former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein possibly captured in raid near Tikrit, U.S. officials say. Details soon.

Darth Viscera
Dec 14th, 2003, 04:24:36 AM
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=X3RRSK011FAXMCRBAEKSF FA?type=topNews&storyID=3988475
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/14/1071336803092.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/3317429.stm
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/12/14/sprj.irq.main/index.html

Dark Lord Dyzm
Dec 14th, 2003, 04:30:33 AM
I'll wait until the U.S. Confirms it before I start parading in the streets.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 14th, 2003, 05:43:03 AM
Yep, its him. They even made DNA tests to confirm.

Dutchy
Dec 14th, 2003, 06:01:22 AM
Cool! Congrats to whoever caught the bastard.

Curious what plans they have for him.

Darth Viscera
Dec 14th, 2003, 06:33:41 AM
Several Iraqi reporters just stood up during the coalition press conference when they showed footage of Saddam being examined by a U.S. medic, and they went absolutely ballistic and began shouting "Death to Saddam!" for several minutes in arabic. It's definitely him. Saddam looked as though he was quite docile during the medical examination. They showed that he had been staying in a sort of empty cellar. He had grown a large greyish beard, and they shaved it off of him.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 14th, 2003, 06:58:47 AM
It was surprising to me the kind of primitive conditions he have been living in; a dark cellar. On the footage, I could see no equipment, lamps, furniture or communication devices of any kind. Just a cave basically.

Dutchy
Dec 14th, 2003, 06:59:30 AM
He looked like a freakin' bum. Great images.

Finally some really good news from Iraq.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we got him".

Master Yoghurt
Dec 14th, 2003, 07:01:03 AM
Yes, as far as good news goes, Bush and Iraq could not have received a better one.

Lion El' Jonson
Dec 14th, 2003, 07:15:21 AM
Indeed. This has been a week of good news. Dow finally hit 10,000, and now this. Boy, I bet General Sanchez left the Press Conference and cracked up laughing:

I quote...

"...US Forces confiscated 2 AK-47's, one pistol, 750,000 American Dollars in 100 Dollar Denominations, and one Orange-and-White Taxi."

How do you avoid laughing at something like that? I also liked the part about the beard, and how they compared "Captured Saddam" to "Captured-and-Shaved Saddam." :lol

To all of our boys in the 4th Infantry Division...Way to go! :D

Darth Viscera
Dec 14th, 2003, 07:16:42 AM
Weren't there rumors before that Saddam had been driving around in a taxi?

ReaperFett
Dec 14th, 2003, 08:36:34 AM
He was going to play Latka in the new series of taxi :)

Jinn Fizz
Dec 14th, 2003, 09:13:58 AM
I am surprised he was taken without a fight. Relieved, though, that's for sure. I hope this means we can start bringing our troops home sooner rather than later.

The only downside to this news is that I'm now going to have to suffer through Dubya gloating his grinchy little heart out. Ugh. :p

imported_Eve
Dec 14th, 2003, 09:33:28 AM
Let Bush gloat; he deserves too. You can't argue about this - everyone is happy.

Hell yeah! Whoohoowhoohoo!

Took too long.

JMK
Dec 14th, 2003, 09:39:28 AM
Excellent stuff! I thought the title of this thread was a joke for sure. An easrly Christmas gift for all of us!

Jedieb
Dec 14th, 2003, 10:07:01 AM
The only downside to this news is that I'm now going to have to suffer through Dubya gloating his grinchy little heart out. Ugh.
Jinn, a woman after my own heart.

He looked like a deranged homeless man. At least he was living in squalor while his fanatics were carrying out one attack after another. Hopefully, there won't be any immediate retaliation. We're fortunate he didn't have the testicles to go out in a blaze of glory and turn himself into a martyr.

Jinn Fizz
Dec 14th, 2003, 10:11:23 AM
George Bush's inflections and mannerisms just irritate the hell outta me. Blech :p.

Now, what next for Saddam? Well, a trial in Iraq according to the Iraqi judicial system seems like the most logical starting point. Then a war crimes trial in The Hague would have to occur next.

Of course, considering the fact that Saddam will most likely be executed after his trial in Iraq might put a crimp in that plan ;).

Darth Viscera
Dec 14th, 2003, 12:23:26 PM
A bullet that was fired from the AK-47 of a jubilant Iraqi fell back down to earth....right onto a gas canister on a gas tanker.

BOOM! That's one immolated truck.

Ace McCloud
Dec 14th, 2003, 12:25:47 PM
Blast, someone beat me to the punch. I just wish I had been awake to see Bush's address to the nation. WOooo! Eat it Saddam!

Perhaps now we can finish what we started in afgan.....

Dutchy
Dec 14th, 2003, 12:30:22 PM
Originally posted by Ace McCloud
Perhaps now we can finish what we started in afgan.....

Yeah, Osama already has the beard. :)

Ace McCloud
Dec 14th, 2003, 12:36:39 PM
_No. 1: Saddam Hussein (news - web sites), president. Captured Dec. 13.

_No. 2: Qusai Hussein, Saddam's son. Killed July 22.

_No. 3: Odai Hussein, Saddam's son. Killed July 22.

_No. 4: Abid Hamid Mahmud al-Tikriti, presidential secretary, Saddam's cousin. Taken into custody June 17.

_No. 5: Ali Hassan al-Majid, presidential adviser, Revolutionary Command Council member. Also known as "Chemical Ali." Captured Aug. 17.

_No. 6: Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, Revolutionary Command Council vice chairman, longtime Saddam confidant.

_No. 7: Hani Abd al-Latif Tilfah al-Tikriti, director, Special Security Organization.

_No. 8: Aziz Saleh al-Numan, Baath Party Baghdad region command chairman. Taken into custody May 22.

_No. 9: Muhammad Hamza al-Zubaydi, retired Revolutionary Command Council member, a leader of 1991 suppression of Shiite rebellion. Taken into custody April 20.

_No. 10: Kamal Mustafa Abdallah Sultan al-Tikriti, secretary of the Republican Guard, Saddam's son-in-law. Surrendered May 17.

_No. 11: Barzan Abd al-Ghafur Sulayman Majid al-Tikriti, Special Republican Guard commander, Saddam's cousin. Captured July 23.

_No. 12: Muzahim Sa'b Hassan al-Tikriti, who headed Iraq (news - web sites)'s air defenses under Saddam. Taken into custody April 23.

_No. 13 Ibrahim Ahmad Abd al Sattar Muhammad, armed forces chief of staff. Taken into custody May 15.

_No. 14: Sayf al-Din Fulayyih Hasan Taha al-Rawi, Republican Guard chief of staff.

_No. 15: Rafi Abd al-Latif Tilfah al-Tikriti, director of general security.

_No. 16: Tahir Jalil Haboush, chief of Iraqi intelligence service.

_No. 17: Hamid Raja Shalah al-Tikriti, air force commander. Central Command said he's in coalition custody. No date was given for his apprehension.

_No. 18: Latif Nusayyif al-Jasim al-Dulaymi, Baath Party military bureau deputy chairman. Taken into custody June 9.

_No. 19: Abdel Tawab Mullah Huweish, deputy prime minister. Taken into custody May 2.

_No. 20: Taha Yassin Ramadan, vice president, Revolutionary Command Council member. Taken into custody Aug. 19.

_No. 21: Rukan Razuki Abd al-Ghafar Sulayman al-Majid al-Tikriti, head of tribal affairs office.

_No. 22: Jamal Mustafa Abdallah Sultan al-Tikriti, deputy head of tribal affairs, Saddam's son-in-law. Taken into custody April 20.

_No. 23: Mizban Khadr Hadi, Revolutionary Command Council member. Taken into custody July 8.

_No. 24: Taha Muhie-eldin Marouf, vice president, Revolutionary Command Council member, only Kurd in Saddam's hierarchy. Taken into custody May 2.

_No. 25: Tariq Aziz, deputy prime minister. Taken into custody April 25.

_No. 26: Walid Hamid Tawfiq, governor of Basra. Surrendered April 29.

_No. 27: Gen. Sultan Hashim Ahmad, defense minister. Surrendered Sept. 19, then taken off the list and released.

_No. 28: Hikmat Mizban Ibrahim al-Azzawi, deputy prime minister, finance minister. Taken into custody April 18.

_No. 29: Mahmoud Diab al-Ahmed, interior minister. Taken into custody July 8.

_No. 30: Ayad Futayyih Khalifa, Quds forces chief of staff. Taken into custody June 4.

_No. 31: Gen. Zuhayr Talib Abd al-Sattar al-Naqib, director of military intelligence. Taken into custody April 23.

_No. 32: Lt. Gen. Amir Hamudi Hasan al-Saadi, presidential scientific adviser. Surrendered April 12.

_No. 33: Amir Rashid Muhammad al-Ubaydi, presidential adviser, oil minister. Taken into custody April 28.

_No. 34: Gen. Hussam Mohammed Amin, head of monitoring directorate, chief liaison with U.N. weapons inspectors. Taken into custody April 27.

_No. 35: Muhammad Mahdi al-Salih, trade minister. Taken into custody April 23.

_No. 36: Sabawi Ibrahim Hasan, presidential adviser, Saddam's half brother.

_No. 37: Watban Ibrahim Hasan, presidential adviser, Saddam's half brother. Taken into custody April 13.

_No. 38: Barzan Ibrahim Hasan, presidential adviser, Saddam's half brother. Taken into custody April 16.

_No. 39: Huda Salih Mahdi Ammash, reputedly scientist in biological weapons program, first woman elected to Baath Party's national command council. Taken into custody May 9.

_No. 40: Abdel Baqi Abdel Karim Abdallah al-Sadun, Baath Party regional command chairman.

_No. 41: Mohammed Zimam Abdul Razaq, Baath Party regional command chairman.

_No. 42: Samir Abd al-Aziz al-Najim, Baath Party regional command chairman. Taken into custody April 17.

_No. 43: Humam Abdul-Khaliq Abdul-Ghafoor, minister of higher education and scientific research. Taken into custody April 19.

_No. 44: Yahya Abdellah al-Aboudi, Baath Party regional command chairman.

_No. 45: Nayef Shedakh, Baath Party regional chairman, Najaf governorate, reported by Iraqi television to have been killed in battle for Najaf.

_No. 46: Sayf al-Din al-Mashadani, Baath Party regional command chairman. Taken into custody May 24.

_No. 47: Fadil Mahmud Gharib, Baath Party regional command chairman. Taken into custody May 15.

_No. 48: Muhsin Khadr al-Khafaji, Baath Party regional command chairman.

_No. 49: Rashid Taan Kazim, Baath Party regional chairman.

_No. 50: Ugla Abid Saqr, Baath Party regional chairman. Taken into custody May 20.

_No. 51: Ghazi Hammud, Baath Party regional command chairman. Taken into custody May 7.

_No. 52: Adilabdillah Mahdi al-Duri al-Tikriti, Baath Party regional command chairman. Taken into custody May 15.

_No. 53: Brig. Gen. Husayn al-Awadi, Baath Party Regional command chairman, senior officer in Iraqi military's chemical weapons corps. Taken into custody June 9.

_No. 54: Khamis Sirhan al-Muhammad, Baath Party Regional command chairman, militia commander.

_No. 55: Sad Abd al-Majid al-Faysal, Baath Party Regional command chairman. Taken into custody May 24.

14 to go.. =)

imported_Jacali Danner
Dec 14th, 2003, 12:39:48 PM
I think death is a bit too easy for him, they should make him suffer a bit...like his people had too...

CMJ
Dec 14th, 2003, 12:56:12 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
The only downside to this news is that I'm now going to have to suffer through Dubya gloating his grinchy little heart out. Ugh. :p

I didn't vote for Bush either, but I could care less if this paves the way for his re-election. He deserves to be happy, we deserve to be happy...and most important..the Iraquis deserve to be happy.

Next November be damned.

ReaperFett
Dec 14th, 2003, 12:58:46 PM
Originally posted by Jacali Danner
I think death is a bit too easy for him, they should make him suffer a bit...like his people had too...

THey shouldn't, because they are better than him.

imported_Jacali Danner
Dec 14th, 2003, 01:00:02 PM
I second that!! :) To what CMJ said.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 14th, 2003, 02:44:15 PM
Well, that's a good Christmas present for Bush. I suppose they can now find out what happened to the WMD.

Ryla Relvinian
Dec 14th, 2003, 03:16:00 PM
*waves hand* These aren't the WMD you're looking for..

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 14th, 2003, 04:12:57 PM
Heh.

was thinking about this - what now for Hussein? Trial? And where?

Personally, this is probably one time when summary execution is warranted. Get what you can from him then take him out in the desert and shoot.

http://members.lycos.nl/paulvandyk/saddam.jpg

Dutchy
Dec 14th, 2003, 05:08:25 PM
Hey, what's with the Dutch URL? You Dutch? :smokin

Jinn Fizz
Dec 14th, 2003, 07:04:37 PM
Today is definitely a great day. I am glad Saddam has been captured, and I salute the troops who carried off the operation without a single shot being fired.

But I don't like George Bush, and today does nothing to change that. Sorry if it offends or bothers you that I don't like him, but that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. :)

CMJ
Dec 14th, 2003, 07:08:06 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
I don't like George Bush, and today does nothing to change that. Sorry if it offends or bothers you that I don't like him, but that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. :)

No, it doesn't. But I read tons of stuff today from Democrats' basically bitching that Hussein had been found because it meant a Bush re-election was more likely. That stuff straight infuriated me. Reading your post after dozens of those just sent me over the edge. :p

Ace McCloud
Dec 14th, 2003, 07:49:49 PM
I like Bush, hes not the greatest Pres. but I like him as a person. But anyhow, no matter what he does, the media has to find something bad about him. Look we just captured Saddam and they were saying "Oh, but we've been looking for Bin Laden for 3 years!" Thats the stuff that gets me.

Jedieb
Dec 14th, 2003, 09:38:17 PM
But I don't like George Bush, and today does nothing to change that. Sorry if it offends or bothers you that I don't like him, but that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.
Ditto here. The Republicans are dancing in the aisles because they think they've got it made, so both sides are already working on spinning this. Personally, I hope this weakens Dean (who I think would be destined for a Dukakis sized butt whuppin) and helps Clark. But that's just me.
Anyway, I hope this weakens some of the morale of the attackers and the rest of the occupation becomes less bloody. Although I'm still not convinced whatever government emerges from this will be what the administration envisions.

Jinn Fizz
Dec 14th, 2003, 09:40:56 PM
CMJ--

Ah, very understandable...no harm, no foul. Please rest assured that I do not hold the same opinions that many of those Democrats hold. To attempt to characterize the capture of Saddam as being some kind of reelection ploy is disingenuous, and just downright stupid. While I have no love for George W. Bush, just about everything I've read from the major Democratic candidates has been the equivalent of shooting themselves in the foot time and again. They've been looking rather foolish, and some of them have apparently compounded that foolishness today. :p

CMJ
Dec 14th, 2003, 09:48:08 PM
As an independent...well...I'm still nuetral on things. ;) Maybe this will allow a more centrist democrat to gain the nomination, because Dean is not someone that I think I could support.

Jinn Fizz
Dec 14th, 2003, 10:25:28 PM
I'm a registered non-partisan myself, so I'm willing to listen to all sides. But yeah, none of the Democrats are lighting my fire right now. :\

Darth Viscera
Dec 15th, 2003, 12:07:44 AM
Saddam will know what happened to the WMD, just as he knows what happened to himself. He's hiding them in an equally discreet location, and we have ways of making him talk! Remember all those illegal missiles which shot off towards Kuwait City the morning of March 20 (some of which were SCUDs which Saddam professed to have dismantled years earlier)? Remember the MiG-29s which were buried under the ground?

Saddam knows where they are, and he's going to spill the beans. And if the edentulous tyrant doesn't feel terribly talkative, the U.S. Army medical corps is equipped with rectal thermometers which have been lying against ice packs in freezers for months. He won't know if he's freezing or burning!

Arya Ravenwing
Dec 15th, 2003, 12:06:25 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
....I could care less if this paves the way for his re-election. He deserves to be happy, we deserve to be happy...and most important..the Iraquis deserve to be happy.

Next November be damned. ditto - although I like Bush better than the other choices we had last time. And to be honest, I don't know of any president [barring perhaps JFK?] that *everyone* has liked and approved of. Can't please everyone all the time. But right now, everyone is pleased, and that's great. :)

Darth Viscera
Dec 15th, 2003, 12:48:40 PM
Originally posted by Arya Ravenwing
JFK

Not even JFK. Republicans didn't like him. His approval rating really shot up after he was assassinated though.

Pierce Tondry
Dec 15th, 2003, 12:56:19 PM
"... and they ate Saddam Hussein, and there was much rejoicing throughout the land."

I am, and have been quite happy with Bush as our President, especially because I am not dead at the hands of a terrorist attack on Richmond. I will likely vote for him come next November.

Go Bush! I'm lovin' it!

That is all.

JediBoricua
Dec 15th, 2003, 01:52:52 PM
Great news yesterday.

I just hope this put a stops, or at least downsizes the resistance attacks. One thing was clear though, Saddam was not behind the resistance.

I hope the groups that wanted his return are dishearted by the news, and the iraqis afraid of helping the new government fearing that Saddam might return now start getting their hands dirty.

I still don't approve of the way the government is handling the issue, or the composition of the Iraqi Council, but these news are good for the world, period.

On the political front, it's obvious it helps W, and it's lucky for him too because it silences the Halliburton scandal about overcharging for oil and all that stuff that surfaced last week.

Jedieb
Dec 15th, 2003, 08:41:13 PM
ditto - although I like Bush better than the other choices we had last time. And to be honest, I don't know of any president [barring perhaps JFK?] that *everyone* has liked and approved of. Can't please everyone all the time. But right now, everyone is pleased, and that's great.
On a side note, Kennedy had more than his share of critics. It's his assasination that has made him a martyr. I've always admired him but my parents pretty much hate his guts. Remember, his election with Nixon was one of the closest of the century. That scene in JFK when Costner's character first sees the reports of the assasination and bar patrons can be heard in the background wishing Kennedy dead wasn't a stretch.

Darth Viscera
Dec 16th, 2003, 08:27:07 AM
LOL. Take a look at the attached picture. Chirac's reaction.

ReaperFett
Dec 16th, 2003, 10:27:09 AM
Originally posted by Jedieb
That scene in JFK when Costner's character first sees the reports of the assasination and bar patrons can be heard in the background wishing Kennedy dead wasn't a stretch.
You mean that movie actually had some accuracy :eek

Charley
Dec 18th, 2003, 07:07:25 PM
Fantastic news. Was a shock on my vacation.