PDA

View Full Version : Little Fledgling (open)

Daen C'allyx
Dec 13th, 2003, 08:23:21 PM
He had never gotten a package in his life, much less an old fashioned letter.

Dear Daen,

I just got back to the Temple from a mission with my Master, all set to come up and see you in the Medbay, and I find that you've planet-hopped. Not exactly the welcome I was hoping for, but the Council says it's for the best, and I guess they know a thing or two.

Anyway, I went and asked around and Healer Ecin said you stopped your treatments the week after I left. He said it with this really ugly look on his face too, the same one that he wore when we broke his datapad. I know you never cared what the Healers thought of you, but I bet even you would be walking on eggshells now.

You're somewhat of a celebrity with the younger initiates too. I was talking to Joab (remember how he used to follow us around? Well now I'M stuck with him. I swear, if he interupts my sparring one more time...!!!!!) and he was telling me about you after I was gone. He said you locked yourself in your quarters (he stayed outside for a few days) and wouldn't come out, not even to eat. He said that all you did was talk and talk and scream. The kid thinks you're crazy and he keeps looking at me like I'm going to snap too. I just might too, if he keeps telling me how great a Knight he's going to make.

There's also a story going around that you blew off the Council. Of course by now it's something like "Daen swore a blue streak at the Council and then drew his lightsaber before barricading himself in his room." I have it on good authority (Master Lrig told me; she said that the only reason you weren't 'severly dealt with' (can't you picture her eyebrows waggling when she said that?) was that your mental state was questionable) that you DID tell them to frell off and that Master Den'ilpie-sid had to practically break through your door and drag you to the Medbay. I must say, that I am impressed buddy.

I hope you're okay out there in the Core. Last time I saw you you were pretty out of it, walking skeleton. Do you remember? You wouldn't even talk to me, just walked by with your hood up and carrying Luna (how is she, by the way?). Anyway, I noticed that your cloak was getting pretty gross and when I saw this I thought you might like it. I know, it's a little dressy and sissyfied, but I figured that maybe stuff like this would fly on Coruscant.

Take care of yourself, hey? I know we didn't really get to talk after you got back and everything, but everything is cool on my end. Just keep yourself healthy Daen, you're the closest thing I have to a brother. I might just have to kill you if you don't shape up, ha ha. I have to go, I have a spar with my Master ten minutes ago (oops!). You know I love you, buddy (and if you tell anyone I said that I swear I'll make sure you'll want to go to the Healers).

May the Force be with you,

Jeb Leduc

Daen read the letter twice before tucking it into the brown paper envelope it had come in. He was sitting on a bench in a public park, a package--wrapped in the same brown paper the envelope was made of--on his lap. The Padawan had already ripped enough paper off the top of the box to open the flaps. Carefully he pulled out the contents, and almost laughed out loud.

Jeb was right. It was sissyfied.

The cloak was light and made out of some kind of soft, silky material, irridescent in appearance. It was a light blue with black trimmings and stitching that ran over the breast of the cloak in a zig-zaggy pattern. It was definetly not his style, nor was it Jeb's, but somehow it meant more to Daen than any other gift would have. It was exactly what he would have gotten Jeb.

Remembering his old friend seemed to take away some of the peace of the day. After Daen had been released from the Jedi Medbay on Almania, he had avoiding his buddy. Ignored him, acted as if he were invisible. It wasn't that he didn't like Jeb anymore, it was just that Jeb was a terrible reminder of what things had been like before...

Before the mission.

Daen loved being a Jedi. Loved it to his core. But he hated the Jedi for sending he and his Master on that damned mission. It had been a trap from the beginning, and it's risks evident from the start. Yet still they had sent the Master-Padawan team.

Only one had returned, and barely at that.

Sometimes Daen felt as if there were only a tiny bit of the real him left. Like somehow his captors had devised a way to implant a new personality, a new person in his body. Like the way he slept with a blaster, and never really went to sleep, instead remaining in a meditative state that allowed him to 'wake' instantly. Or when he suddenly found himself lost in the middle of the Temple, suddenly so scared that he almost wet himself.

Hearing from Jeb made him think about things like that. Made him think about how much progress there was left to make. How utterly vulnerable he was right now. When it got down to it, the only thing that kept Daen going was his character. He wondered if, had Jeb been put through the same situation, would his friend have even made it out alive? Daen didn't think so.

As he watched a few children running through the park, the young man sighed and pulled the letter from it's pouch again. He began to read, again, smiling softly here and there.

What he wasn't expecting was to be disturbed...

Saska
Jan 6th, 2004, 10:08:55 PM
A strong hand clamps his shoulder, being sure to get his attention before it's owner speaks.

"That's quite the cloak you've got there, young'un."

Johannes Saska's voice is quiet and gravelly. Daen might not have heard him if he'd not gotten the boy's shoulder. Saska stands tall, looking down at the kid with an almost fatherly expression. His face is covered with stubble, and long hair is pulled back at his neck to keep it from getting everywhere. His clothes, loose-fitting pants and a long-sleeved shirt, are beaten and well-worn.

"There room on this bench for two?"