PDA

View Full Version : What are the falcons thinking

Syo
Dec 10th, 2003, 04:18:58 PM
They just fired Dan Reeves, with 3 games left to go in the season. I always thought it was bad to fire a coach mid season as it really kind of ruins the team. And the Falcons were going to bounce back they could have used the consitency.

But thats not the worst of it, the worst of it is they gave the job of intern head coach to Wade Phillips. Wade Phillips has already proven to be a horrible head coach being fired within 3 years the previous 2 times he has had the job with the broncos and the bills.

Thats the irony of it all when the Broncos fired Dan Reeves it was Wade Phillips that got the job getting promoted from defensive coordinator (the same job he had with atlanta). Maybe Dan Reeves will think twice about hiring Phillips has his defensive coordinator then next head coaching job he gets because its clear Phillips has got his eye on Reeves job. Heck Phillips will probably get himself fired so he can elsewhere to steal Reeves job LMAO

Jedieb
Dec 10th, 2003, 08:58:35 PM
I don't think Phillips will be the head coach next year. Reeves could have stayed on for the rest of the season but he didn't want to stay on as a lame duck coach. If anyone saw the Falcons last weekend you saw what this season could have been if Vick hadn't of gotten hurt. Reeves got a bum deal. But I get the feeling that it was only a matter of time. There was no way Vick and Reeves were going to grow old together.

I also think the Falcons may have cut Reeves loose this early so that they could be free to take a run at some of the hotter college coaches. Is there any young coach out there that wouldn't want to start his NFL career with Vick?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2003, 09:34:28 PM
I would be on Nick Saban from LSU, I don't see Stoops leaving OU anytime soon.

Ishan Shade
Dec 10th, 2003, 10:12:24 PM
Well I knew it was coming....but I agree - bad mistake to fire your coach while still in the season. After the whole Vick situation I can't say he didn't really deserve it.

JMK
Dec 10th, 2003, 11:25:18 PM
I'm glad for Reeves in a way. He wasn't going to twist in the wind and face an onslaught of questions from the media. He knew he was going to get the axe, so he demanded to cut the BS and be let go now.

jjwr
Dec 11th, 2003, 09:37:17 AM
Agreed, the only reason Reeves got fired with 3 games to go was because he wanted to be. And you really can't blame the guy.

The reasoning I heard was the new owner didn't hire Reeves and wanted his guy running the team and if Reeves played out the season and went 4-0 it would have been a lot harder to fire him at the end of the season so he announced it now so regardless of what happened they knew he would be gone.

JMK
Dec 11th, 2003, 10:26:53 AM
I still think it's a raw deal for Reeves. Why fire a coach when NO coach could have saved that team without Vick. If the owner brings in 'his guy' and Vick gets hurt again...well I guess we'll see what happens but I don't think anyone will succeed in that town without more support for Vick.

Syo
Dec 11th, 2003, 12:36:44 PM
Thats the problem the Falcons are a one man team, they don't have enough talent to survive without him.

They should be firing the GM and the person making personel decisions rather than a proven winning coach.

JMK
Dec 11th, 2003, 01:29:55 PM
It's probably more of a PR move than anything. The team is 3-10 and not likely to win 2 more games this year. The fans are upset (though most probably understand that it is a 1 man team) and will demand some changes be made, if they haven't already.