PDA

View Full Version : The Shoulder Mishap

Daen C'allyx
Dec 10th, 2003, 02:23:52 PM
I woke up this morning and the top of my right shoulder/neck area is awfully gross. It's super tight and swollen and the muscle keeps spastically bunching up (which, if it didn't hurt so much, would be incredibly funny). I've tried a hot bag, a hot shower, a muscle relaxant cream thing that felt like it was eating away at my skin, a massage (that was fun. Not.), and some Advil and nothing is making the slightest difference. It's incredibly painful and a bit of a nuisance. So.

Is there anything I can do other than wait it out?

Morgan Evanar
Dec 10th, 2003, 02:38:41 PM
Take a bath with epson(sp?) salts.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Dec 10th, 2003, 02:38:59 PM
Go to the doctor....seriously. It sounds like really bad muscle spasms (which Ive experienced) but then I dont have a degree. A doctor might prescribe a relaxant for you.

Daen C'allyx
Dec 10th, 2003, 02:49:12 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Take a bath with epson(sp?) salts.

And I can buy these from a local pharmacy?

Originally posted by Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Go to the doctor....seriously

My mother also told me to do this. And my brother said it sounds like I tore my coracoacromial(sp?) ligament. However, I was just at the doctor yesterday to get the go-ahead to play rugby, so I'm reluctant to go again just in case I get the boot and/or the misconception that I'm a hypochondriac. If it gets worse, or isn't better by the end of the week though, I don't really have any other options.

Unless I shoot myself.

Droo
Dec 10th, 2003, 02:54:54 PM
Ouch, that sounds pretty bad. I'm not too knowledgeable on physiotherapy and the like so if I were in your place, I'd get it checked out by the doctor and quick, since you play rugby you don't want to risk injuring it further by letting it go untreated. Who cares whether he/she thinks your a hypochondriac? At the end of the day, it's for your own benefit.

Sheyleigh Castille
Dec 10th, 2003, 03:02:13 PM
I had the exact same thing happen a few months back. Went to the doctor and he told me I strained the trape .. trapzed.. the triangular muscle that runs from the base of the neck to the shoulder blade. Hurts like a mother f***!!

Muscle relaxants, even prescribed ones, do not help at all. All you can do is wait it out for the muscle to relax on its own. In my case, that took 2 1/2 months - that's how bad I strained it.

Sleeping is difficult thanks to those spasms so prepare yourself for many nights of interrupted sleep.

All you can really do is soak in hot baths, use icey/hot to dull pain (it helps *a little*) and don't use the muscle if that can be accomplished.

Trust me, I feel your pain and totally sympathize with you.

*Patpats*

Daen C'allyx
Dec 10th, 2003, 03:03:41 PM
Despite the consequences, I'd rather play rugby and hurt myself than go to the doctor and risk being told I can't play.

Seriously though, a doc really has to be a last resort because I can't afford to go again and get groceries.

And on a side note, Icy/Hot is horrible and does not work. IMO. :)

Droo
Dec 10th, 2003, 03:10:53 PM
Originally posted by Sheyleigh Castille
I had the exact same thing happen a few months back. Went to the doctor and he told me I strained the trape .. trapzed.. the triangular muscle that runs from the base of the neck to the shoulder blade. Hurts like a mother f***!!

Ah! If that's what you've done, Daen, I've had that good few times. Ended up with my arm in a sling from it one time, I've done that about two or three times and it might be just a question of time. See how it feels tomorrow, it could right itself over night.

Daen C'allyx
Dec 10th, 2003, 06:02:40 PM
It better.

Ceres Duvall
Dec 10th, 2003, 06:47:00 PM
Definately go to a doctor. I waited too long to go to a doc for my shoulder and ended up finding out I chipped a bone in it really bad. Had to get surgery cuz it caused a lot of muscle damage. Not that arms is weak and I can't raise it all the way.

What I did a lot when I hurt my shoulder was take a hot shower in the morning, a hot shower at night, sleep sitting up with my arm in a sling, and not using the arm whatsoever.

Daen C'allyx
Dec 11th, 2003, 01:46:25 AM
Update: It seems to be taking a turn for the worse. The pain hasn't increased at all but the skin is beginning to discolor and look I look as if I've been beaten with a baseball bat. Also it's very hot and throbby. If it's not better by morning I may have to go to the doctor :(

Thankfully my brother hasn't lost all his heart and allowed me to hit him up for money. He pulls through when I really need it, I'll give him that.

EDIT: It's not nearly as bad as we thought. I've just torn some ligaments. The bruising and swelling was just a result of exasperating the situation (lifting things, playing rugby, stress, ext.) I'm just supposed to relax and take it easy (I can't believe I payed to hear that.) :)

Sin Vamel
Dec 11th, 2003, 02:53:36 PM
So it's just a spot of Master Bators Cramp then?

Vhiran Crescent
Dec 11th, 2003, 03:30:05 PM
Don't go to the doctor! They are EVIL! Last year I sublexed and tore one of my ligaments 6 times in football and wrestling. I did physical therapy from September to November. In Nov. I went to the Doc and he said I couldn't wrestle and I needed to have surgery. I had surgery in april, which screwed me over for football and wrestling. It hurts every single day now, even after 6 months of therapy. I recently messed up my other shoulder too...definatly am not telling anyone about it this time haha.

Daen C'allyx
Dec 11th, 2003, 03:53:05 PM
Originally posted by Sin Vamel
So it's just a spot of Master Bators Cramp then?

:lol

Ceres Duvall
Dec 11th, 2003, 06:12:55 PM
*simply stares and drools at Vhiran's avatar*

Rhiannon
Dec 13th, 2003, 11:10:23 AM
Yeah, Michael Biehn is a hottie :)

Atleast you now know exactly what the problem is, Daen. Hope it heals well and proper and that you don't have this happen again .. for what its worth.

Vhiran Crescent
Dec 13th, 2003, 02:42:25 PM
Originally posted by Ceres Duvall
*simply stares and drools at Vhiran's avatar*

Eh.....heh..heh...:hat

::Flashes sig made by Rhiannon::

Rhiannon
Dec 13th, 2003, 03:36:22 PM
*Beams :) Drools - runs off to fix bitty mistake in Vhiran's sig :b*