PDA

View Full Version : Well whadda ya know...

JMK
Dec 5th, 2003, 02:56:21 PM
From sportsnet.ca:

Phillips released on bail

The former Alouette and Stampeder will be back in court next March.

MONTREAL (CP) - Former CFL running back Lawrence Phillips, accused of sexual assault and uttering threats, was released Friday on $1,000 bail.

Phillips, 28, will be back in court on March 2.

Police say the alleged incident, involving his girlfriend, took place on Nov. 27 in Montreal.

He was charged Thursday and was remanded into custody after initially failing to make the $1,000 bail agreed to by the Crown.

Phillips, originally from California, has become the second former CFL player to face criminal charges this week.

Now retired, former Toronto Argonaut Tommy Kane pleaded not guilty Monday to second-degree murder in the death of his estranged wife, also in Montreal.

Phillips was released by the Calgary Stampeders on Oct. 10 for disrupting practice by arguing with coach Jim Barker over the team's offensive strategy.

The Stampeders signed Phillips after he was released in May by the Montreal Alouettes.

Just like clockwork this Lawrence Phillips nut is back in trouble. What is with these pro athletes and their inability to keep their noses out of trouble? Particularly in the NBA and NFL? It's SO depressing! It seems like every day someone is being busted for pot, beating their girlfriend/wife, driving drunk, assault, and in extreme cases like Jason Williams and Rae Carruth, murder, which Carruth is presently in jail for. I just don't get it. :(

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 02:59:33 PM
LOL I am not surprised he will probably get a long time for this. But when did Jason Williams kill sombody?

JMK
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:20:55 PM
Hmm, maybe I have the wrong guy then. I'm talking about the Detroit Piston or N.J. Net that shot his limo driver then tried to say he shot himself by accident...with a shotgun...is that the right guy?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:22:27 PM
I know who you are talking about I just can't think of his name. I also think I am confusing names the Jason Williams I am thinking of is the idiot friend of Randy Moss (both went to HS together in WVl) who is a PG with Memphis.

Ryan Pode
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:23:54 PM
Most of the time its NBA players. On occasion there are some bad NFL players who get charged. Never a Raven tho... 'cept that one time.

Figrin D'an
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:29:41 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I know who you are talking about I just can't think of his name. I also think I am confusing names the Jason Williams I am thinking of is the idiot friend of Randy Moss (both went to HS together in WVl) who is a PG with Memphis.

Not Jason Williams.

Jayson Williams... he was arrested and charged for "accidently" shooting his driver.

This guy:

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:31:10 PM
Heh I looked it up to try to figured it out. I guess I forgot all about him. I know the other Jason is a bozo too though I think he was accused of beating up one of his girlfriends or something.

JMK
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:32:34 PM
Wasn't Ray Lewis in trouble a couple years ago?

Off the top of my head, recent guys in trouble are Jim McMahon blowing a .261 BAC, Kobe Bryant's case, the Trailblazers as a unit, Janikowski was in trouble in the past 2 or 3 months...these guys are so stupid sometimes...

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:35:10 PM
yeah Lewis was charged with helping some of his friends kill somebody. He pled down to something to a lesser charge ( a really lesser charge) but the DA in Atlanta so botched the case that his friends didn't even get aquited. Actually most of these high profile athletes get off. Only Caruth didn't and he still didn't get the full sentence for what he did.

Figrin D'an
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:38:18 PM
Ray Lewis was present at a night club, on the eve of Super Bowl XXXIV, at which a shooting took place. The shooter was someone he knew. On the witness stand, Lewis gave a mostly non-answer testimony. Even though he was never directly charged with murder, the prosecution wanted to charge him with obstruction of justice. The charge didn't stick, though.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:43:22 PM
He pled to something can't remember what I just remember his friends got off. I read people saying the Atlanta DA botched the whole trial or something.

JMK
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:13:33 PM
This is just what I'm talking about. Can someone explain to me why this keeps happening? Don't these teams have guidance counselors to help keep these guys out of trouble. I know they can't stop everything but it seems at least once a week someone is in a lot of trouble when it was easily avoidable.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:14:50 PM
I know I have read some teams have such a thing, not sure where I read that though.

JediBoricua
Dec 5th, 2003, 08:17:09 PM
It's really remarkable how the Lewis situation has been turned around. It's a PR miracle.

This guy, was almost accused of murder, and did not became public enemy #1. In fact he is, if not the most, one of the most populars linebackers and players in general on the NFL. ESPN interviews him every other day, he appears on other shows as guests and it's the arechetype for pumping your team up before the game starts.

I really like him, and I give a hell of a lot of props to his publicist!

Ryan Pode
Dec 5th, 2003, 10:47:23 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
Most of the time its NBA players. On occasion there are some bad NFL players who get charged. Never a Raven tho... 'cept that one time.

As I said.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Dec 6th, 2003, 02:49:14 PM
Who was the player who shot his wife or girlfriend a while back?