PDA

View Full Version : Natalie Portman a Oscar nod?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 02:47:35 PM
It might happen according to a critic with the AFI named Dave Poland here is what he has to say about the movie

Edit since I guess there was some bad words in that report I am going to only post the import experts slang words not in it. And post a link to the site if anybody wants to read the rest

Excerpt: "As for the footage, the best performance in the clips was Natalie Portman's, who was the only one who was shown in a scene that was both powerful and subtle… which is really what Minghella excels at as a writer/director. His best moments are the ones where words cannot express the feelings of the players. In this scene, Portman's need for human contact overwhelms anything else and the release that comes when she finally has just a touch is amazing.

I am still looking forward to seeing Cold Mountain, a few times. And this evening will not in any way make me lower my Oscar expectations for the film. The only real shift is that I am now less convinced that Phil Hoffman has a shot at a nomination and much more interested in the prospect that Natalie Portman could be a contender. I can't wait to see Kidman and Zellweger in moments as powerful as the on Minghella created for Ms. Portman."

link www.thehotbutton.com/today/hot.button/2003_thb/031114_fri.html

Charley
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:03:03 PM
I've never seen Portman act. I don't believe it.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:05:54 PM
She was great in her ealier stuff. Beautiful Girls, the Professional. The problem is Star Wars, have to ignore that. Lucas can't get anybody to act. He could have the greatest actors of alltime and they would look wooden.

Also it looks this is a really different role for her I read there is an attempted gang rape scene involving Natalie but Law saved here. Also she is a young widow who has a baby.

Charley
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:36:00 PM
Beautiful Girls blew. The only reason the professional was good was because of Leon.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:38:14 PM
Well Beautiful Girls was not a great movie but most critics said that it was Portman that stood out. I remember most critics saying she was the only reason the movie was watchable. And I disagree with you about Leon Portman was great in it. Actually I liked her perfomance better than Reno. Although I liked Oldman's the best he was brilliant as the lunatic crooked cop.

TCM'74
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:43:01 PM
Natalie Portman does not strike me as a great performer or actress. The way some swear by her, you'd think she was the next Natalie Woods or Audrey Hepburn. But I am not saying she is incapable of producing a oscar notable performance. Heck, George Kennedy won Best Supporting Male Actor for his role in Cool Hand Luke. And I felt the film would have been even greater had it not had him in it. (I don't like George Kennedy.)

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:46:52 PM
George Kennedy was a good actor (this is past tense). Honestly I think Natalie has talent she has just not been in great roles recently. I think Star Wars just doesn't suit her. Of course I think Carrie Fisher didn't do any better in the OT. She had a lot of wooden moments in TESB.

TCM'74
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:49:58 PM
Well, the Star Wars movies can't be noted for any performances save for Alec Guiness. (Obi-Wan was an incredibly emotional character and Alec provided alot more depth to him than any of the others.) But for the magic of film-making and story-telling.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:54:44 PM
Yeah that is why I ignore the acting in the films its not important to me at least for those movies.

TCM'74
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:58:49 PM
Don't forget the Williams' score, truly delightful, IMO, for the OT that is. Imperial March, etc. Really adding much to the films.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:07:55 PM
Yeah the score is great that the imagery and the storytelling is what makes SW great IMO.

JMK
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:16:51 PM
For the most part I don't have a problem with anyone's overall performances in the Original trilogy. Everyone had their bad moments, but I think the acting is much better in the OT than the PT so far. The blame can be placed partly on Lucas for not knowing how to direct actors and the over abundance of CG characters.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:18:41 PM
Well Lucas didn't direct two of the movies. The acting was worse in ANH than ESB or ROTJ, IMO. I think he is also extremely rusty as a director and just doesn't know how to deal with actors. He probably should have turned the series over to somebody though there is a possibility that that person could have done a worse job.

Darth Viscera
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:38:29 PM
I'll take Carrie Fisher's wooden acting over Natalie Portman's wooden acting any day.

JMK
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:55:50 PM
I concur.

TCM'74
Dec 5th, 2003, 05:04:05 PM
Originally posted by JMK
For the most part I don't have a problem with anyone's overall performances in the Original trilogy. Everyone had their bad moments, but I think the acting is much better in the OT than the PT so far.

Definitely. But what hurts both series is an often stilted script and those wooden performances. Plus, the fact Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher weren't great actors. Carrie Fisher is a excellent writer and producer though. I believe the star power in the PT might be greater than the OT, but they're clumsily mismanaged as you noted.

Dutchy
Dec 5th, 2003, 05:55:50 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Well Beautiful Girls was not a great movie but most critics said that it was Portman that stood out. I remember most critics saying she was the only reason the movie was watchable.

Natalie was an absolute delight in that movie. :)

Which was a fun movie to watch, or so I thought. A real feel-good movie.

imported_QuiGonJ
Dec 5th, 2003, 06:11:42 PM
Gee, wonder what they say about Star Wars movies on non-fan sites?

I like all the films. As a long-time fan, I know what their warts are, but I like em anyway.

Charley
Dec 5th, 2003, 07:06:38 PM
I never claimed to not like them.

But Natalie can't act very well at all.

JediBoricua
Dec 5th, 2003, 08:04:28 PM
QuiGonJ people on non fan sites are way nicer with SW than what we are here.

I mostly agree with everyone's assesment about acting in the complete Star Wars Trilogy. But if you go to watch Star Wars for the acting you're watching the wrong movie.

TCM'74
Dec 6th, 2003, 04:20:12 AM
Honest criticism is always good and also can encourage improvement.

JediBoricua
Dec 6th, 2003, 08:18:44 AM
True, and we as fans should expect more of something we love than casual moviegoers.

I love the prequels, but I don't blame some fans for hating them.

Dutchy
Dec 6th, 2003, 10:41:28 AM
Why didn't y'all say this when Jonathan was still around? :p

Figrin D'an
Dec 6th, 2003, 11:36:34 AM
Originally posted by Dutchy
Why didn't y'all say this when Jonathan was still around? :p

We didn't want to weed through a 10,000 word essay of a response to find any tidbits of useful information, or an opinion beyond "You all suck and are morons, and I obviously know everything about everything."

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 6th, 2003, 03:37:04 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
We didn't want to weed through a 10,000 word essay of a response to find any tidbits of useful information, or an opinion beyond "You all suck and are morons, and I obviously know everything about everything."

LMAO

I liked Portman in "Anywhere But Here." But then, I'm probably the only person here who's seen the movie, and if I'm not, the other two are women as well. She actually can act.

And I love Star Wars. *pretends she's piloting an X-Wing and 'flies' around the room* I will agree that the Prequels relied too heavily on special effects, and probably some of the time spent on those should have been used on the actual filming of the actors.

TCM'74
Dec 6th, 2003, 03:47:02 PM
lol I agree. I have already seen enough.

There is more to learn about film-making in it's first seventy years than it's last thirty. The cinema has a very, very rich history. In fact, the further you go back the richer the material gets. Fascinating stuff, whether one nefarious individual sees that now or not I won't know.

Dutchy
Dec 6th, 2003, 04:52:04 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an

I miss him!

Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I liked Portman in "Anywhere But Here." But then, I'm probably the only person here who's seen the movie, and if I'm not, the other two are women as well.

Hey, I'm not a woman. :p I saw it too and really liked it even. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 6th, 2003, 09:25:19 PM
Dutchy have you said hi to Jon on CC.net :)
And for Portman, I have seen parts of Anywhere But Here and she did seem to do a very good job in the movie. She has another big role coming up a movie called Closer with Jude Law and Julia Roberts that could be a huge break for her.

Dutchy
Dec 7th, 2003, 03:57:52 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Dutchy have you said hi to Jon on CC.net :)

No, I finally saw a picture of him there, though. :)