PDA

View Full Version : The Fox (Desaria, open)

R. S. Esalis
Dec 4th, 2003, 06:39:52 PM
A good intelligence officer never let themselves be known. They stayed in the shadows, observing the world and those around them with scrutinizing eyes, ever open ears. Conspiracy and factual knowledge walked a fine line, and many times that line was blurred beyond recognition. It was a job that demanded lifelong commitance, utter loyalty.

And discipline.

The woman who stood patiently waiting for Grand Admiral Desaria was just such a woman. She was disciplined, refined, shrewd, and ever-watching. But there was more. She was ruthless. The ends justified the means in her mind - a mind that at times was accused of being too cold and unemotional. She was proper, had been raised with the utmost care to the preservation of etiquette and pristine manners. She wore her uniform well, and it accented her form. However, unlike the normal crimson, her uniform was jet black - devoid of any sort of rankplates and title denoting her true rank within the intelligence monster that laced the Empire.

Her name was R. S. Esalis.

She wasn't new to the world of intelligence - simply hidden from the prying eyes of most, if not all of the Empire's upper echelon officers... including Grand Admiral Desaria. Only recently had he been informed of her existance, and with that relay of information had come the requirement to meet with the man.

And so she waited, standing in the antechamber leading to his Thyferran-based office.

She had no allusions or expectations of any kind - she'd read the files on him, and her opinions were kept to herself.

What came of this meeting was something which remained to be seen.

Telan Desaria
Dec 4th, 2003, 08:12:51 PM
" She is waiting for you, Your Excellency."

The Grand Admiral snarled, dismissing his secretary with a wave of a gloved hand. The High Inquisitor of the Galactic Empire was seated in the antechmaber to the office of the Supreme Commander, Imperial Navy, for some reason beyond the aristocrat's grasp.

A figure cloaked is mystery, and doubtless misery, she was as deadly as she was attractive. It was a definite-wretched trait of high ranking females: like Daala, Isard, and Previdess, Esalis was wicked and scrupulous but had the perfect female physique.

Thankfully, Desaria was Centaurian - and not suceptible.

" Admit her."

R. S. Esalis
Dec 8th, 2003, 03:37:53 PM
With a simple nod from the secretary, Esalis stepped forward, her stride taking her to the doors which opened easily before her, and as she walked through, her steps smooth and precise - just like a cat's - she took in the interior of the Grand Admiral's office. It was not lavish to the point of unnecessary trinkets littering its space, but it did possess a degree of elegance that she found somewhat impressive. At least the Grand Admiral had good taste.

Her eyes went to the desk then, and the man sitting behind it. To many, he would have been an imposing individual - even now he cut an impressive figure just by sitting behind his desk, but to her, Grand Admiral Desaria was nothing but a man who happened to hold almost insurmountable power within his hands. And whether it was gained through treachory or the fact that he was just in the right place at the right time, she didn't rightly care. What mattered now was that he held that power.

Coming to a slow stop in the middle of the room, Esalis stood; back straight but in now way was her form in any manner of precise or military. Just the way she held herself denoted a different sort of presence - not entirely an Intelligance officer but not quite a normal person. No, this air was much more feral.

She didn't salute in any way.

All she offered was a polite nod.

"Grand Admiral Desaria."

Telan Desaria
Dec 8th, 2003, 04:42:25 PM
" What can I do for you, High Inquisitor?"

There was much Grand Admiral Desaria did not care for, and at the top of that list was the Imperial Inquisitoriate. Extent since the rise of the Empire in its original mandate to eliminate the Jedi, it had risen to encompass all security funcitons after the debacle at Byss.

Its seat of power on Thyferra arrogantly observing Xucphra City below, the Grand Admiral thought the redmen as they were called had far too much power. To put the Inquisitor is her place, the Grand Admiral stood to his towering height as he offered her a chair before him.

R. S. Esalis
Dec 8th, 2003, 04:47:41 PM
She only arched a brow as he stood, offering her a chair. She did however, accept it graciously, and lowering her lean frame down, trained her eyes on Desaria. It was easy to see in his eye that he detested the very nature of the job she took a small amount of personal pride in, and her lips twisted into a stern frown.

"You don't hide your contempt for me very well, Grand Admiral.

"Which strikes me as rather odd - as you didn't even know I existed until yesterday.

"A little presumptuous, wouldn't you think?"

Telan Desaria
Dec 8th, 2003, 04:56:50 PM
" I've been a soldier all my life. As such, it's rather easy to determine those who are not without a second glance."

The Admiral lowered himself into the high-backed chair. Twin Imperial standards, their emblems swimming in seas of dark red, sat on either side of the desk. A small fern hung at the right edge of obsidian surface giving an almost erotic air to Esalis' facade.

R. S. Esalis
Dec 8th, 2003, 05:07:36 PM
"So then, because I do not go out and fight "glorious" battles and vanquish the Empire's outward-appearing enemies, I am not an individual to be considered... dear - what's the word I'm looking for - ah yes. Forthright or direct?

"I assure you, Sir, that I am both of those. I merely deal with many of the situations that you yourself would consider blasphemous. And yet, it all works out for the greater good. Whether you know it or not, I have been keeping your Empire smooth for a very long time."

She leaned back, one leg crossing over the other.

"I've been staying in the shadows and behind closed doors for the simple reason that I do not trust anyone - you included. While you may have the Empire's best interests at heart, there are things that need to be monitered and kept track of to ensure a tightly-knit and cohesive interaction on all levels. Myself and my staff make sure this happens."

Hands hanging loosely from the arms of the chair, she leaned forward just a little bit.

"And as such, I'm sure you're wondering why you only just heard of me so recently."

Telan Desaria
Dec 8th, 2003, 06:05:33 PM
The Grand Admiral pursed his lips then deliberately raised his hands, resting them against his lips fingertip to fingertip. The woman was interesting - but she was also a woman who personified the very concepts the Imperial Armed Services repulsed.

" Do tell, Madame. And while you're at it, inform me post haste what your minions are doing inside my Empire!"

R. S. Esalis
Dec 8th, 2003, 07:43:40 PM
Another arched brow.

"Is that an order?" Before he could answer, she waved a hand, going on. "I suppose it is - I've read enough about you to know that it would be.

"Very well. The reason you did not know of me was because I did not wish it. I prefer to stay out of the spotlight, so to speak, and staying tucked away was the best course of action. That changed, unfortunately, with the incident involving our good frien de Nostradaum and one Fa'Rawn Lin who hailed from Yag'Dhul. After that, I felt it necessary to reveal my existance. I do the things you are afraid to do - are afraid to think about.

"Now. As far as my "minions" and their positions within the Empire you've carved out for yoruself, that's not really any of your business. They do their job and are taken care of for it. Besides. I don't think you're really ready to know all of what my people and I do.

"You've lived thus far in blissful ignorance, and I see no reason for it to stop."

Telan Desaria
Dec 8th, 2003, 07:50:44 PM
The Admiral's gaze lost any aspect of derision and took on one of steelen animosity.

" You seem to be under the assumption that you operate outside of the sphere of command. The Viscount del Forza, late head of the Inquisitoriate, did not inform me of his dealings because I wished it - of that you are correct. He was a fellow nobleman and knew his limits. Do not presume that the slack I cut him in any translates to you."

" The Inquisitoriate handles internal security and I am thankful: the military has other concerns. However, I warn you not to overstep your bounds.

" In relation to your bounds: just what are they? I am confused as to just what is happening in your little Citadel. Who is in command over there? I ceded civil command to the politicians and Inquisitoriate oversight along with it. But I wanr you, in fact I would implore you to remember that we are both subordinate to the government, but you are subordinate to the miliatry."

R. S. Esalis
Dec 9th, 2003, 05:34:24 PM
"Without me your military would be a mess," came the sharp retort. You may think us subordinate to you and you grand war machines, but the simple fact of the matter is that we make sure your life is easier - we provide you with information, we handle internal problems, and we clean up the messes you yourself are too loathe to touch.

"It can be an ugly job at times, but someone has to make sure the Empire operates at its peak without interference of any kind."

Esalis leaned back once again. "As to my bounds, I define them myself and they change on a day-to-day basis. It's the way the system works, and has yet to fail me.

"And I do so love a certain amount of order in my life."

Telan Desaria
Dec 10th, 2003, 05:21:37 PM
" I have but one question for you, Esalis: just what in the name of the Gods are you planning to do now that you have made your debut before the military?"

R. S. Esalis
Dec 15th, 2003, 05:56:33 PM
"Debut?" a small laugh. "I would hardly think of it as a debut. I'm simply allowing you the luxury of knowing that I do indeed exist. Nothing overly dramatic."

Esalis let a smirk creep over her delicate features.

"And as for what I intend to do, I will say only this: I intend to watch. I will watch you. I will watch your military. I will watch everything.

"Especially," a sharp glint came to her eyes then, "Your involvement with Loklorien s'Ilancy."

Telan Desaria
Dec 15th, 2003, 06:22:28 PM
Grand Admiral Desaria gave little emotion in his professional life and now exhibited none. As soon as the High Inquisitor had arrogantly remarked he shot her a piercing gaze and let the baritone in his voice resonate for full effect.

" What interest is one of Thyferra's more visible aristocrats to the Inquisitoriate?"

The Admiral incanted his head and wiped all sentiment from his face including the seething hatred he felt for the dregs of Imperial society hidden in tunics of red.

" And you may watch all you want. If you interfere with military operations I will have your head on a plate. Do I make myself clear?"

R. S. Esalis
Dec 16th, 2003, 08:02:54 PM
Esalis said nothing, instead giving the Grand Admiral as acidic a glare as he himself afforded her.

"Miss s'Ilancy has proved herself to be a somewhat... dubious... individual, and the fact that you've been seen on numerous occasions with the woman leads one to believe that you yourself may be engaged in a few, shall we say, less than reputable ventures?

"And as for my head on a plate, my dear Grand Admiral, I can assure you that that is impossible. I have no intentions of interfering in your precious wargames - I have my own front that needs attentions."

Telan Desaria
Dec 16th, 2003, 08:08:05 PM
The Grand Admiral regarded the woman again. She was doubtless a virulent and hate-filled person whose sole desire for success found its roots in a past horror.

She obviously understood only the hate of the Inquisitoriate before the patriotism of the Armed Services.

" You will begin immediately submitting reports weekly to High Command so we can keep track of and direct Intelligence assets as needed."

As an after thought, he added:

" As for Duchess S'Ilancy, she is a friend of myself and the Empire. Her actions that do not affect either relationship of mine, nor are they a concern of yours. Any investigation thereto is cancelled - by my personal order. I will issue a printed directive shortly. Is there anything else?"

R. S. Esalis
Feb 26th, 2004, 12:45:22 PM
Her eyes narrowed.

"Grand Admiral. I know that the... Duchess... is not human. I have the reports and even pictures to prove it. And to make matters worse, she has not registered herself with the Ministry of the Interior. She is not above the law, no matter her social standing. As things stand right now, she has no rights, and if something happens to her, she has no say in what happens as a consequence."

A pause, then Esalis went on.

"It is the law. And I am following it."

Telan Desaria
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:12:56 PM
Desaria stood and slammed balled fists onto the table, the sheer force of the thrust making his golden shoulder epaulettes shake.

" Where have you been, the introverted egotist? The Empire has almost lost enough wars without adding to them those perpetrated by zenophobic intolderance. I for one refuse to go down in history as the man who destroyed the Empire becuase he had an anti alien bias. If there is one thing I have learned, High Inquisitor, it is that the actions of those who have gone before me tell me of what I should do than anything. Daala was the most successful leader since Thrawn because she saw total numbers, not fractions. I do the same.

" Whatever laws you speak of need to be erased, but I cannot do that. However, as long as she is a Duchess she hold honorary rank in the Thyferran Guard, and that brings her under military jurisdiction. I laud your efforts and I admire your dedication, but I will ask you one last time to put it somewhere that might do more damage to our enemies than help!"

R. S. Esalis
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:38:59 PM
Esalis stood as well, matching the Grand Admiral's furious glare.

"I will call of my surveillance, but there as to be some sort of monitoring done. I don't care by whom, but it must be done - you can do it yourself for all I care.

"As you asked I will not do anything in regards to her situation; but if something should happen, I won't help, either.

"I will not be responsible nor held accountable to you or anyone else if something happens to her. You may hold no anti-alien tendencies, but I know there are still those in the Empire that do, and they will exploit this. Has your friendship with her blinded you to this? Or is the level of your friendship beyond normal bounds?

Telan Desaria
Feb 26th, 2004, 02:41:36 PM
" Very well."

The Grand Admiral placed his hands at the small of his back, his temper reining in as quickly as it had flared, the sign of a true officer. Great was the man who kept his emotions under control lest they become an asset an enemy would exploit.

Desaria moved from behind his desk and past one of the hanging standards flanking it. Esalis remained standing, palms resting firmly on the black marble finish. He sat nearby, remembering quickly that uniforms while on Thyferra were uncommonly thin.

" Ill make with you an agreement, High Inquisitor. When Duchess S'Ilancy leaves the Empire, she is yours to monitor. You will take charge of this matter personally and submit reports to me - not even my aide - every week. When she is inside Imperial borders, she will be watched by Civil Defense, and I will have reports submitted to you every week in turn. Will that be acceptable?"

The Grand Admiral donned the mask of amiability, ignoring her earlier intimation that he and a...female...had other than paltonic relations. Had she forgotten he was Centaurian???

R. S. Esalis
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:02:15 PM
Straight-backed, R. S. Esalis had turned her head to stare at the Grand Admiral.

"It will be, Grand Admiral."

Turning then to face him fully, she folded her hands behind her back. "I look forward to your reports then. Now. If there is nothing else you wish to know, I must be returning to my office."

The High Inquisitor waited then, for either a dismissal or yet another inquiry.

Telan Desaria
Feb 26th, 2004, 10:08:46 PM
" I hope our future...meetings...will be far less strothing than this one. I can face only enemies that do not wear this uniform with a clear conscience. But I face them nonetheless. Do you take my meaning? Good day, Inquisitor."

Without waiting for a reply, the Grand Admiral returned to the pad and stylus he had been tending before his quest's arrival.

R. S. Esalis
Feb 26th, 2004, 10:36:02 PM
A nod was all she gave him then, and turning on her heal, Esalis headed for the same door she'd entered through.

She paused at the door though.

"It is not my intention to cause unrest within the Empire's ranks. My job is to make sure that everything runs smoothly from the inside - I'm not a military strategist in any way, so I leave that area well enough alone. However, when it comes to internal affairs, I trust you to know that the continued safety and longevity of this government are at the highest of priorities for myself and my department."

She turned to look at him then, watching as he stared down at his datapad.

"Nobody is exempt from my eyes."

Telan Desaria
Feb 27th, 2004, 03:28:47 PM
The Grand Admiral wanted to reply, but could not. As much as he hated her department, hated everything she stood for and everything she was willing to do, Desaria knew that the Inquisitoriate served a purpose, and it was a purpose he would never touch with an eight-kilometer bow spar.

Instead, the scribbling of his stylus continued unabated as one thought pervaded:

I know all too well.