PDA

View Full Version : Vasquez a Yankee

JMK
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:03:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1678044

Looks like the Yankees are serious. It makes me sad to see Vasquez go, especially to the Yankees. :(

But apparently the money they save with Vasquez gone and Guerrero leaving, Omar Minaya will apparently try to woo Juan Gonzalez here again. If that were to happen, an Expos lineup consisting of Brad Wilkerson, Juan Rivera, Juan Gonzalez, Nick Johnson, Jose Vidro and Orlando Cabrera doesn't look too bad.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2003, 12:16:52 PM
I just saw that, that sucks IMO. Maybe Vaquez will turn out to be a bust at least that is what I hope happens. They could still lose Petitte there has been rumors that Houston has gave him a great offer and he really would like to play closer to home.

JMK
Dec 4th, 2003, 01:05:32 PM
Vasquez is no Jeff Weaver. If he can handle the pressure in New York he's going to be a bull for the Yankees. The biggest problem for the Yankees now is their defense.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2003, 01:17:30 PM
Still there is no guarentees he could throw out his arm. As a Yankee hater I have to be optimistic ;) Also there staff is still not very good if they don't resign Petitte.

JMK
Dec 4th, 2003, 02:27:02 PM
I get the impression that Yankee fans are less than thrilled with this. They're throwing the year 1964 around in discussions. As in "Welcome to 1964". That wasn't a very good period for the Yankees. Let's hope history repeats itself! :)

JediBoricua
Dec 4th, 2003, 05:26:53 PM
Sucks, Vazquez is really good. The man was third in K's on the NL last year, and usually pitchers do good when they change leagues.

Still this is a good move for the Yanks, they add a great young pitcher to their lineup that is getting a bit older.

JMK
Dec 4th, 2003, 07:46:21 PM
Vasquez is just starting to enter his prime at age 27. The worst part of the trade for Expos fans is that he really eats up innings. Like 230 innings. That is hard to replace in a starter these days. But I can say that this trade is being VERY well received in Montreal so far. I don't know what that says about this trade as far as the Yankees were concerned, but Expos fans aren't too upset to see him go and are very excited to see Nick Johnson taking over at first.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2003, 09:53:44 PM
Johnson is a very good player he might be a superstar up there in Montreal.

JMK
Dec 4th, 2003, 10:09:14 PM
If he can have the same on base percentage in Montreal as he did in New York then he will be very well liked and should do well for himself.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2003, 02:00:01 AM
Great article about Steinbrenner

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=1676041

Lets see if he can push the Yankees to the cellar like he did in the 80's

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:57:54 AM
One can only pray