PDA

View Full Version : Web Design help needed.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Dec 4th, 2003, 05:07:44 AM
Hi there. As most of you know, I'm and artist and a writer, and I have been meaning to build a web page for quite some time now. I possess several programs that are supposed to be great for it, but I'm have a rediculously hard time figuring out how to even use a one of them.

If someone could help me in explaining how to use Dreamweaver or Flash to create a site, it would be most helpful. I am going for a graphically intensive site, with many linked thumbnail images, and hope to have images that shift when the cursor is moved over links. I also hope to set up an online sales area where I can conduct sales of my art prints from.

Also, I am rather meticulois when it comes to design, so expect a lot of questions from me as we go.

Thank you to any of you who can help, and jsut as a taste, this is going to be the main page design. Well, it's not done yet, but still it should give you an idea of what I am going for. There will be a large drawing on the left hand side, and icons next to the lower text listings.

So, any takers?

http://www.nehantish.com/Title-Page-1024.jpg

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 4th, 2003, 05:55:49 AM
None of what you want is all that hard and a lot of it can be done (esp with the rollovers) in ImageReady.

I can try to help, but with me being as busy as I am, I'm not sure how useful I'll be

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Dec 4th, 2003, 06:15:25 AM
Hmm, I hadn't thought about ImageReady, so I'll have to consult with you about that. Thanks, and I realize you have time constraints.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:18:06 AM
As soon as the semester is over I can give you a hand.

Moriah
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:45:52 AM
I don't proclaim myself to be an expert or anything, but I use dreamweaver, front page and plain ol' simple hand-coding in notepad for the sites I do. I'll lend a hand where I can if you want. Er, you can pm me if you want to see sites I've done in the past for others - even some current designs I'm working on for a few friends :)

Morgan Evanar
Dec 4th, 2003, 01:25:43 PM
front page OUT! YOU CURSE THE THREAD!

Sejah Haversh
Dec 4th, 2003, 01:33:17 PM
Um, I've actually heard that the latest version is halfway decent. I still wouldn't pay to get it, though.

And, I'll take whatever help I can get, though my schedule can be rather sporradic as well.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 4th, 2003, 06:35:13 PM
front page

Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
OUT! YOU CURSE THE THREAD!

Oh God, who art in heaven, we beseech thee to forgive those who mention Front Page and web design in the same sentance, except when they state Front Page is crap for Web Design. We impore thee to wipe the plague of Front Page of the the face of the Internet and for the coders who created FP Extentions, to bring justice upon them and smite them greatly, for they are the curse of any real Sys Admin. We ask that IIS be consumed in your Holy Fire and that you bless Apache forever and ever.

Amen.

Ro McCloud
Dec 4th, 2003, 07:03:55 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Oh God, who art in heaven, we beseech thee to forgive those who mention Front Page and web design in the same sentance, except when they state Front Page is crap for Web Design. We impore thee to wipe the plague of Front Page of the the face of the Internet and for the coders who created FP Extentions, to bring justice upon them and smite them greatly, for they are the curse of any real Sys Admin. We ask that IIS be consumed in your Holy Fire and that you bless Apache forever and ever.

Amen.

*as Marcus prays, starts to throw holy water on the thread*

I learned how to use that, turd of a prog, last year in buisness class, and I still do not know how to make a good web-page.

imported_Eve
Dec 4th, 2003, 07:21:18 PM
Hey I can officially call myself a Web Designer now (as I get paid for it)! Will have official business in Jan 04. Neato.

I'm actually learning some stuff as I go too. Two of my clients want Flash intensive sites and since my Flash knowledge is null, I have to learn alot myself, but Flash isn't as hard as it looks.

If I can help, I sure will. I check in here at least once a day, or you can e-mail me. sonjajean@hotmail.com

I find the "XXXX... for Dummies" books are cool for reference. There are some sites that you can plug in what you want and it codes for you...

echoecho.com
js-examples.com

I have a flash one too... gotta find it. Will get back with you.

I code in notepad. I don't use programs ... I think they complicate it, but I never tried.

Well there you go...

TheHolo.Net
Dec 4th, 2003, 07:26:57 PM
Originally posted by Eve
I code in notepad. I don't use programs ...Marry me? :D :p

imported_Eve
Dec 4th, 2003, 07:30:52 PM
Eve.Net Mmmmm.

I think you showed me this echoecho site.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 4th, 2003, 07:31:51 PM
Originally posted by Eve
Eve.Net Mmmmm.

I think you showed me this echoecho site, Yeah, it is one I use and give out the URL of as a help site.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 4th, 2003, 08:07:17 PM
I like dreamweaver because you can save so much time having shortcuts for all the tags and edit the code as you go. It is true though, there is no better/fun way of learning webdesign than plain old notepad and a good tutorial.

This is an old favorite of mine. I recommend it for learning the basics: http://www.htmlgoodies.com/

Morgan Evanar
Dec 4th, 2003, 09:28:59 PM
I do most of the coding by hand, but Mozilla Composer is great for previews/keeping track of tabs, and I keep Dreamweaver on there because it makes it easy to do image maps. I end up typing most of the code, though.
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar

Amen. Quoting for TRUTH.

imported_Taja Loraan
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:32:58 PM
I've seen some pretty nifty sites made using FrontPage.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 6th, 2003, 02:32:48 AM
Originally posted by Taja Loraan
I've seen some pretty nifty sites made using FrontPage.

No you didnt. You saw bloated, standards uncompliant pieces of crap. No one serious uses Front Page. It's a truly contemptable piece of software, about one level of hell above IE.

I dotn often give respect to Mccloud, but his sentance of calling FP a turd is 100% correct. I will, under no circumstance allow this on any network or PC I support or manage.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 6th, 2003, 11:56:16 AM
I can attest to bloat on the server side when you don't even use Frontpage, but enable your server for Frontpage extension support.

A boat load of useless directories that do nothing but confuse the issue are added all over the place as well as pointless .htaccess file modifications. >_<