PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about music theory?

Garrett Blade
Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:12:57 AM
I'm onto a really good song idea, but I'm a little hesitant about something.

Anybody who plays music knows that you can't just play any old scale you like over a given set of chords - the notes can clash if they're the wrong ones.

But my question is sort of simple if you know your music theory, unlike me.

Using the A Minor Pentatonic scale (all shapes), are you able to play any notes from that scale if the chords played over are all powerchords (eg A5,) made up of notes from the A Minor Pentatonic scale?

I think the answer is yes, but like I said my music theory is really bad, but I am learning. This is kinda the main thing I want to know how it works - what scales go with what chords.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 2nd, 2003, 11:29:32 AM
I took three years of college music theory. Almost four years ago. Most of it has been flushed out of my brain.

And I have no idea what your question means. It doesn't make any sense. Of course you can play whatever note you want from a scale. Are you in a certain key?

If you're in A minor you should be able to play any note at any time from the A minor scale. The power chords, as long as they're all A minor chords, should make it sound okay.

Garrett Blade
Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:34:22 PM
Yes, I know there's nothing stopping me from physically playing the note. But I'm talking in a musical sense. Let me re-phrase the question

Assuming the key remains the same throughout the song, if every chord in the song is a powerchord (traditional three-note powerchord) and each note in that powerchord can be found in the A minor pentatonic scale, I'm assuming that any notes played from the A minor pentatonic as a lead/solo will not clash with whatever powerchord is played at the time. Yea or nay?

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:53:48 PM
It may clash, but it'll eventually be resolved. Two notes one step apart are *going* to clash if you play them together, the secret is to play them and then resolve the sound.

Gav Mortis
Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:04:04 PM
Now that you've rephrased the question, I think the answer is: "No, it wont clash." I'm not 100% certain, there may be an exception but I think it is unlikely as long as the guitar playing the lead and rythmn guitars are both in tune.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:43:32 PM
And don't forget, we learn music theory just so we'll know what the rules are we're breaking.

In music, as long as you like the way it sounds, you can basically do anything you like. (Also keep in mind I know nothing about guitars, only the piano.)

Tear
Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:37:09 PM
In music, as long as you like the way it sounds, you can basically do anything you like.

Dont tell that to a few of my friends who like to spontaneously break out in song or sing along with a song on the radio..*shudders*

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:41:24 PM
They could become "modern" composers. :x <strike>Some of the</strike> Most of the 20th century stuff is really hard on the ears.

Garrett Blade
Dec 2nd, 2003, 09:24:01 PM
Thanks for the help. I spoke with my rhythm guitarist and according to him, in the words of one of our chosen cover songs:

"Alright Now! Baby, it's alright now!" :)

I'm a happy bunny now, knowing the song will be almost complete tomorrow - on Friday Kieran and Eddie can give me their opinions and ideas and we'll come up with a finished version sometime soon.

Now that I know I can use the scale, its a case of coming up with some cool leads and a killer solo. This calls for some groovy bluesy riffage! :rollin

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:58:13 PM
I wanna hear it :)

Garrett Blade
Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:20:21 PM
I can't believe it! Eddie's boss decided to change his hours - so now we've had to cancel practice this week. Grrr! :mad

Its the second time we've had to cancel because of his boss changing his hours. If it happens again he's gonna have to speak with her about how its messing up our plans in a big way.

Once we do get it finished, I'll get it recorded somehow (don't ask me how though!) and upload the beauty. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:52:19 PM
How?

:p Couldn't resist, sorry. :D

imported_Darriann Sollak
Dec 3rd, 2003, 08:00:57 PM
Since the topic seems to be music and guitars... I just started playing a semi. I've never taken music before in school until next semester. Got any pointers on how to get started. I have a few beginner books but I don't really understand them and my music knowledge in general is like 'I don't know Jack'. I can only play one note with out the rest of my fingers touching the other chords. A, the first one near the top of the neck. So some pointers would help.

Ryan Pode
Dec 3rd, 2003, 08:51:45 PM
They shouldn't clash.

Garrett Blade
Dec 4th, 2003, 09:03:04 AM
Use the beginners books to learn your first set of basic chords. Thats E Major, A Major, D Major, C Major, G Major, E Minor, A Minor, F Major, B Minor.

Once you've learned those, you can start looking at more complicated chord formations and barre chords elsewhere on the fretboard. Remember; there's more than one way to play the same chord.