PDA

View Full Version : Cat Help

Vista Alor
Nov 28th, 2003, 08:10:13 PM
I've got a bit of a situation right now. I just got a new cat, but I didn't get her as a kitten. I already had a cat and now my new cat isn't eating. Is there something I can do to help her settle in and eat because I'd never forgive myself if she starved.

Both cats are female, 2 1/2 years old, born in the same litter. Both have same colouring, though slightly different markings. And both of them have been fixed so they can't have kittens(in case there are some who didn't know what I was referring to).

Quay'Na Rakai
Nov 28th, 2003, 08:11:59 PM
Try feeding her in a different area, perhaps with the door shut....

Vista Alor
Nov 28th, 2003, 08:14:06 PM
I'll try that if I can find her. She's taken to hiding right now so I'm not worried about them beating each other up at this point in time.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 28th, 2003, 08:56:07 PM
What you have is an anxious and stressed otu cat. Not eating is somethign they will normally do in that situation. What you can try is use raw meat - also seperate the cats. They are territorial animals. Give the new cat a quiet dark place to settle into, a cupboard is great.

But it IS important to seperate them. Fighting just builds the stress levels. and dont worry, cats do not strave themselves to death. What's happening is perfectly normal. Just seperate, give the new cat peace and quiet and raw meat.

You preferably dont want both cats together for a week.

Charley
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:01:42 PM
Taste your cats urine. If its salty, your cat may have cancer.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:02:54 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley

Sweet mother of Ned Kelly, you have uncovered the formula to Fosters!

Quay'Na Rakai
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:12:24 PM
Eeewww, Charley!!! That's gross.....:x

Kelt Simoson
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:16:50 PM
Charley....hell nah :\

Droo
Nov 29th, 2003, 01:46:53 AM
Just as I'm having my breakfast.

Silus Xilarian
Nov 29th, 2003, 02:30:19 AM
Originally posted by Agent Charley

Keep us updated on the situation.

Vista Alor
Nov 29th, 2003, 11:07:41 AM
Thanx Marcus. Since reading your post, I'm not nearly as worried.

Charley, I'll wait on your suggestion because that's not really something I want to do.

And yes I will keep everybody updated on the situation and I'm ready to kill my first cat since she decided to wake me up at two this morning.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Nov 29th, 2003, 01:58:42 PM
I really think its as Marcus says. If your cat was acting fine before then changed its habits after the new cat came, then it is prolly stress. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 29th, 2003, 03:40:25 PM
Charley was JOKING about tasting the urine. Trust me on this one.

Vista Alor
Nov 30th, 2003, 10:40:17 AM
Daiq, it's actually the new cat which isn't really eating or anything else other than hiding.

Though she did eat yesterday and she came out of hiding 4 times when I had a whole bunch of my friends over for the afternoon.

Kes'La Bardo
Nov 30th, 2003, 11:41:14 AM
Get her some catnip, she'll be flying high and not have a care in the world...:D

Shanaria Fabool
Dec 1st, 2003, 11:37:20 AM
YESSS GET THE KITTY STONED! or is that STONE THE KITTY!

Vista Alor
Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:59:44 AM
I'm not going to Stone either cat of mine.

But here's an update. My cat's previous owner has come to stay with me for awhile and she's looking quite comfortable and walking about my apartment. Though she is growling at my other cat which I've had for longer.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 2nd, 2003, 11:25:31 AM
The owner is comfortable walking around your apartment?

Sanis Prent
Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:00:55 PM
Did you taste the cat's urine yet? This is important.

Aki
Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:04:24 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Did you taste the cat's urine yet? This is important.

CHARLEY!

Stop trying to get people to taste cat pee!

Sanis Prent
Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:05:34 PM
If you loved your cat, you would.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:15:59 PM
Originally posted by Aki
CHARLEY!

Stop trying to get people to taste cat pee!

It's called Fosters and we Aussies have been tricking the world into drinking that swill for years.

rember Fosters is not Aussie for beer... it's Aussie for CAT PEE!

Aki
Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:21:16 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
It's called Fosters and we Aussies have been tricking the world into drinking that swill for years.

rember Fosters is not Aussie for beer... it's Aussie for CAT PEE!

I don't drink, thank gwad.

If you loved your cat, you would.

I love my cat, but I draw the line at drinking/consuming excrements.

Sanis Prent
Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:23:56 PM
Just a taste, to detect cancer. Isn't it worth that much?

Abagael Zellan
Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:22:25 PM
I would do anything for my kitty. I'm one of those people with a cat-voice.

"Hewwo baby-cat! Whattaya doin' sweeeetie?"

My cat is my babeh.

Vista Alor
Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:12:25 AM
My first cat is my baby.

And yes, my new cat's former owner is comfortable walking around my apartment, mind you he's sharing it with me for a month right now so that kinda helps (and he's my brother)

And Charley, I'm not willing to go that far with this cat. I'll let my brother do that if he thinks its really important.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:08:15 PM
haha make your brother taste your cat's pee!!

Rognan Dar
Dec 3rd, 2003, 03:50:16 PM
Just say its mountain dew or something. :lol

TheHolo.Net
Dec 3rd, 2003, 03:54:02 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Did you taste the cat's urine yet? This is important. So, what is your suggested method for acquiring said substance to taste?

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 3rd, 2003, 03:57:36 PM
Put your mouth next to its rear end, obviously! :mneh

TheHolo.Net
Dec 3rd, 2003, 03:58:22 PM
I suspect Charley's reply would be much more comical and impractical. :p

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:05:50 PM
1) Go to bottle shop

2) Buy bottle of well known Aust beer

3) Consume

ReaperFett
Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:18:58 PM
But that isn't for HIS cat.

...unless his name is Fosters ;)

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:23:44 PM
You'll want to give your cat a lot of water first, and possibly even a diuretic. (Coffee + milk perhaps) This will encourage urination. Now, your cat is trained to use the litter box, correct? If this is the case, temporarily remove the litter from the box, and sanitize it (since you're going to be collecting fresh urine and want no contaminants). Your cat will urinate here as it always does, and you can take a sample from this. Only a few drops is necessary, and you can wash your mouth out after that.

You want it to have a bitter-ish taste to it. That means that there is no shock to the cat's GI (gastrointestinal) tract. The bitter taste is urea and nitrogen, which is a normal byproduct.

What is abnormal is an excess of salt. This is known as osmotic retriculation. What it essentially means is that the cat's body isn't recycling the salt as it should. Normal bodily tissue will do this, as salt is an important mineral for life. Cancer cells may be unresponsive to this because they are mutated, and thus, a high concentration of salt will bleed through the kidneys and be excreted.

This test can be done by vets, but it is more detailed and its expensive. Tasting the urine is free, and does the same thing. You won't have to worry, as long as the litter box is sanitized beforehand. Because of urea, urine is sterile when excreted. It might not be pleasant to taste, but its safe to do so.

My mom is a medical oncologist, and she's an expert on cancer detection. This very technique has been used in humans, and is shown to be an excellent early warning method in fighting cancer growth.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:30:08 PM
I have a mole I think is cancerous. Can I FedEx some pee to your Mom?

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:32:52 PM
I think FedEx (like all carriers) have standards against shipping biomaterials unless you follow certain protocols. So, I'm really not sure.

ReaperFett
Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:40:33 PM
Bad joke express a-comin'!

I have a mole I think is cancerous. Can I FedEx some pee to your Mom?
She's taking the ____! :D

Vista Alor
Dec 9th, 2003, 08:54:39 AM
Okay, my new cat is eating at night right now. I put a half cup of food in her dish and it's gone in the morning.

*jumps around for joy*

And she's not hiding all the time anymore either. She's willing to poke her head out of her hiding spots and walk around when I'm in sight. And yestarday, she let me hold her for awhile as well.

*starts giving out hugs*

Rognan Dar
Dec 9th, 2003, 06:38:27 PM
(Has a, 'Give hug here' sign above his head)

Vista Alor
Dec 10th, 2003, 11:23:01 AM
*huggles Rognan*

Well, according to my brother, my two cats were chasing each other across my apartment yestarday.

Rognan Dar
Dec 10th, 2003, 03:17:39 PM
Is that a good thing or bad?