PDA

View Full Version : Curt Schilling a Red Sox

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 28th, 2003, 05:25:13 PM
It finally happened :)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1673290

It was rumored since Monday but I kept quite until he official waved his no trade clause. This is a huge trade it gives Boston the best starting rotation in baseball, IMO. Now who goes first Schilling or Martinez.

CMJ
Nov 28th, 2003, 05:29:12 PM
We'll have to win next year though...I think Martinez is just waiting to leave.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 28th, 2003, 05:37:41 PM
Not sure about that, he might stay it is impossible to say with him. What about the rumors involving A-Rod for Manny? I don't think it will happen but it is a interesting rumor. I have to say after getting Schilling I am very excited.

JMK
Nov 28th, 2003, 08:01:57 PM
Save my sanity, pick up Guerrero instead! Less baggage!

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:25:32 PM
LOL well maybe if we make the Manny-Arod trade than trade Nomar to the Dodgers for some young pitching maybe we will have money for Vlad, I don't think he is going to the Yankees at least it looks like they are more interested in Shettfield, heck they can have that cancer.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 29th, 2003, 09:18:09 PM
Could Schilling become a hero in Boston

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1673909

I love how he talks about the game and the fact he went online and talked to fans telling him how he felt that shows what kind of person and player he is. I am glad they brought him back to Boston :)

jjwr
Dec 1st, 2003, 10:19:55 AM
He's a great player and a class act, definetly a good pickup for the Red Sox.

Now if only we could fastforward 9 months and see how things are in September and see if it all works out for the best.

Taylor Millard
Dec 1st, 2003, 11:26:41 AM
Aye, I agree. But the rotation of Martinez, Schilling, Derek Lowe, and Tim Wakefield is certainly not one to thumb your nose at.

As for Manny for A-Rod...I'm not gonna comment. The minute I make a comment, yay or nay, the reverse will happen. So...I won't comment.

jjwr
Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:57:17 AM
If the Red Sox could move Manny for anyone they would be a lot better off. Theo has shown he can get productive players for cheap. The salary saved from Manny would let them re-sign some existing players and bring in some quality free agents to add depth.

While A-Rod would be great I can't see it happening unless the Red Sox can move both Manny & Garciaparra and that would be tough.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:39:23 PM
I think they would send Nomar to the Dodgers or Angels both teams could use him at SS. I'd say the Dodgers right now because they have the room and need a bat badly.

JMK
Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:55:39 PM
This is a HUGE trade. While I'm optimistic that this trade may put the Sox over the hump, I'm also thinking about how this can fail. One way this backfires is depending on who gets named #1 starter. Schilling will want to be #1 for sure. No doubts. Pedro will be furious if he becomes #2 or even 1A. He will whine and cry to the media all season long if that is what happens, and the clubhouse will be a mess. It's a very political situation for whoever manages next, I guess that's Francona.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 2nd, 2003, 11:50:54 PM
Schilling has said he has no problems being #2 so I don't think it will be a problem.

JMK
Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:08:28 AM
Lol, yeah, because he knows he had a provision written into his contract stating that he gets to be #1 with the new manager. ;)

CMJ
Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:38:16 AM
The arms race between the Yanks and Sox this offseason has been really interesting. We haven't even mentioned NY's pickups(and possible moves). Really good stuff on both sides.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:00:52 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Lol, yeah, because he knows he had a provision written into his contract stating that he gets to be #1 with the new manager. ;)
Well he sounded like he was telling the truth at the press conference he said something like following one hall a famer to another. I don't think there will be a problem in Boston over this. The only thing that concerns me is injury. More Martinez he has been frail of late. Speaking of frail. Why is NY picking up injured pitchers? They signed Tom Gordon yesterday. Gordon hasn't made it through half of season healthy in like 5 seasons so why do the Yanks think he will be healthy now? And there are rumors about trading for Kevin Brown. I am sure the Dodgers would do that move. I think Brown still has another three years on his contract and he is 39 and hasn't been healthy in like 3 years. He ends up only getting 20 starts the last couple of seasons, to me that move wouldn't be wise for the Yankees.

JMK
Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:30:27 PM
They also picked up Paul Quantrill today. Interesting arms race indeed.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:31:26 PM
Quantrill is not that good. I wonder why they are picking up second and third tier relievers?

JMK
Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:13:15 PM
He's only going to be used sparingly. He can still get one or two guys out in the 6th or 7th innings once a starter is out of gas before you get to their closers.

Figrin D'an
Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:25:01 PM
I get the feeling that the Red Sox are going to attempt to load up for an "all-or-nothing" shot over the next couple of seasons. Schilling only has a few more good years left, and Pedro will probably want to leave when his contract is up. I think they know their pitching staff is going to have to be rebuilt in a few years, so they might as well try to load up and get as much out of it now as they possibly can.

The Cubs have actually made a few interesting moves as well. They made a trade with the Marlins the get Derrick Lee, and they sign LaTroy Hawkins. I'd like to see them re-sign Mark Grudzielanek and Eric Karros. I'm not sure about Kenny Lofton, since Corey Patterson will be back next season (he was having a breakout year before he got hurt).

I guess being teased with a shot at the World Series has made them more hungry for it as well.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:27:52 PM
I saw that Cubs trade that was a good one. What about the rumor that they might bring Greg Maddux back? About Pedro I think they might resign him. I don't see him leaving on his own, he will get more money from Boston in a contract extension him and his agents know that. The market has changed he won't get 10 million as a FA no more. The question will be will the Boston GM decide to keep him? And that I don't know.

JMK
Dec 4th, 2003, 09:49:55 AM
I think you're right. The FA market is already showing signs of hesitation. I honestly thought Guerrero would have been signed by someone weeks ago, but it seems no one wants, or no one's sure what his price tag is. The Expos president said that even if Guerrero asked to come back to Montreal they would say no. I can't really believe that to be true.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2003, 12:12:57 PM
Its the luxury tax it has really taken a toll on contracts. I kind of wonder what a Salary cap would do then. Too bad MLB don't have one.

JMK
Dec 4th, 2003, 01:03:44 PM
All 4 major sports should have a salary cap of sorts, but it elimates the chances of dynasties being built. Which sucks, if you like dynasties, but is good if you like parity.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2003, 01:19:24 PM
I would rather have parity I don't like seeing teams buy championships. If you didn't have a salary cap in the NFL the NY teams would be buying up the best players and winning the SB. You wouldn't see teams like the Chiefs, Packers, and Colts have a chance because they are in so called small markets.