PDA

View Full Version : Helloooo!

Gray
Nov 28th, 2003, 03:54:08 PM
Helloooo everybody!
My name's Matt, I'm a student and I'm new (duh) to this place.

I've been RPing for all over the net for a little while now, and I love it!
I only just found this place and though I'd give it a try.

The first thing I want to sort out is my RP character. I've read around and I've kinda got a feel for what's expected here.

I would like to present my chracter so that we can disscus it/you can critisize it; you see, I like to pre-plan my characters so that I don't start a stupid one (or anger the mods for that matter!).

So, the concept is this. The character is "Gray Edwards", basic human-like species. He was frozen a few hundred years ago by some scientists on his home planet, the idea was to survive the holocaust they were expecting but instead, when their side lost the war, his cryo-pod was sold as a trophey.
He was freed by accident when a transport ship (containing the pod) crashed on a desert planet.

He is (or was) a Capatin in an elite power suit corps. He still has the suit and the weapons/equipment built into it.
It assists his movement (doubles his strength) and protects him from harm (resiliant to light arms fire, had built-in light sheilding) and is capable of self-repair and even healing him.
It has integrated systems (everything you'd expect on a suit like that) including an assault weapon an a pair of automatic pistols.

He's currently trying to: a) Stay alive (his enemies want to get their hands on his suit), b) Try and work out what hapened to his people and c) Try and restart the common wealth which once existed.

I'm willing to bend to the requirments of the mods and am alos generaly open to suggestions from all! :)

Jared Mriad
Nov 28th, 2003, 03:57:11 PM
Originally posted by Gray
Helloooo everybody!
My name's Matt, I'm a student and I'm new (duh) to this place.

I've been RPing for all over the net for a little while now, and I love it!
I only just found this place and though I'd give it a try.

The first thing I want to sort out is my RP character. I've read around and I've kinda got a feel for what's expected here.

I would like to present my chracter so that we can disscus it/you can critisize it; you see, I like to pre-plan my characters so that I don't start a stupid one (or anger the mods for that matter!).

So, the concept is this. The character is "Gray Edwards", basic human-like species. He was frozen a few hundred years ago by some scientists on his home planet, the idea was to survive the holocaust they were expecting but instead, when their side lost the war, his cryo-pod was sold as a trophey.
He was freed by accident when a transport ship (containing the pod) crashed on a desert planet.

He is (or was) a Capatin in an elite power suit corps. He still has the suit and the weapons/equipment built into it.
It assists his movement (doubles his strength) and protects him from harm (resiliant to light arms fire, had built-in light sheilding) and is capable of self-repair and even healing him.
It has integrated systems (everything you'd expect on a suit like that) including an assault weapon an a pair of automatic pistols.

He's currently trying to: a) Stay alive (his enemies want to get their hands on his suit), b) Try and work out what hapened to his people and c) Try and restart the common wealth which once existed.

I'm willing to bend to the requirments of the mods and am alos generaly open to suggestions from all! :)

The bold might not get past the local Agent Charley. Other than that, everything else looks feasible.

Welcome to 'Fans, btw. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 28th, 2003, 04:01:28 PM

Yes, this is the only bit I can see not being accepted. Otherwise, happy roleplaying :)

Gray
Nov 28th, 2003, 04:03:25 PM
Who's Agent Charley? A mod I presume?

Anyway, Okay, fair enough, a few amendments then.
It is capable of self-repair to a degree which can repair minor circuit damage and the like.
Any major damage (ie cracks, bullet holes, servo burn-outs, circuit-board breakages, etc.) requires maintenance (which Gray can do himself but requires him to go home, whip out the tools, and spend a few hours on it).

And it doesn't heal him completely, it just does minor stuff like halting bleeding and sustains a micro environment within his suit (rebreather/tank, temperature, etc).

Any better?

Oh, BTW, what's the excepted limits for signature sizes?

Jarek T'chort
Nov 28th, 2003, 04:41:29 PM
Welcome. You know......the Empire is always looking for recruits. :)

Tear
Nov 28th, 2003, 04:45:05 PM
Yes, The Empire is always looking for individuals with your talents and abilities..
plus we have a great health plan with dental and everything.

And im sure if you were to join the empire..rest assured the enemies that hunt you will no longer be a nuisance.

Welcome to the Boards Gray.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 28th, 2003, 04:46:49 PM
Unfortunantly for the Imps, they dont have frying pans.

Charley
Nov 28th, 2003, 06:29:04 PM
No auto-healing. And you need some disadvantages in using that suit as well

Read the FAQ, click the link in my sig, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

imported_Ambrose Braeden
Nov 28th, 2003, 06:35:56 PM
welcome...the shrine is also looking for recruits as well..

imported_Darriann Sollak
Nov 28th, 2003, 06:49:42 PM
Welcome to the boards.

As for choosing sides don't let the groups influence your decission. You don't even have to join one if you want.

I like the combat suit. You like battletech? Kinda reminds me of the elemental.

Tip for the day: Read the FAQ.

Charley
Nov 28th, 2003, 07:23:44 PM
Might as well plug my own special interest.

Consider becoming a part of the Confederacy. ^_^;

Gray
Nov 29th, 2003, 04:31:55 AM
Wow, okay, gotta lotta responses overnight I guess.

So, no auto repair. If it takes minor damage the best the suit can do is re-route its program sub-systmes to make the best of what it's got left (otherwise all repair requires actuall tools and time).

Weakness: It has electronic counter measures but an EMP will knock the systems around a bit (making it do funney things, lasts about 5-20 minutes depending on the strength of the EMP).
The technology was designed in a culture obliviuos to the force and so although it had good natural resistance a decent forceuser could probably exact an EMP-like effect on the suit.
And of course, the light sheilding can holdout against a graise from a lightsaber (if he's lucky) but a strait forward hit would do some serious damage.

Another few things, can I integrate a jet/jump pack thing into it?

And I just want to clarifying a few other things. The suit scanning/imaging systems consist of: IR/UV/Visible light, motion detecting, digital filtering, enhanced hearing and immediate environmental chamical analysis (computer super-smell).

And I'm asuming it's okay that I can produce various soldier like equipment fro the suit i.e. grenades, communications, flashlights, flares, beacons, etc.

Is it okay to asume that he's got some skills with weapons, tech and pilot/driving? I mean obviuolsy his skills are outdated by newer technology (ie he's never delt with anything post-hyper drive) but he can transfer his abilities as best he can (ie hopp into a speeder and generaly know the jist of it).

As for joining sides, I think I'll remain independant for now. Perhaps I may join one later but in the meantime I'll play it out to see where this character ends up.

Do those changes make the amendments you guys where looking for?

Gray
Nov 29th, 2003, 09:51:53 AM
I assume the silence means I can go ahead and start RPing?

Nathanial K'cansce
Nov 29th, 2003, 09:59:14 AM
Or, you could assume that no one was really on to give you a response in the time span between your two posts. :p

Welcome to the boards :)

Charley
Nov 29th, 2003, 10:06:30 AM
No shielding against lightsabers.

The rest should be okay.

Also, sig size limit is at 30k. Still, do read the FAQ. It will help.

Gray
Nov 29th, 2003, 10:14:56 AM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
No shielding against lightsabers.

Deal. :D

Gray
Mar 1st, 2004, 09:26:38 AM
Hello, Matt again.

I'm writting to inform of a change (which won't effect anything 'cos I haven't gotten into any fights so far).

I've decided to alter the combat suit idea.
Reducing the protective capability significantly for speed/agility (but still has mini-computer & stuff).

The style of the character being more finesse based then brute force.
Changing his personality to be a little more refined, better cognitive capabilities instead of soldiering.
More of an exotic 'Duelist' then a traditional soldier.

The whole Gun-Kata style fighter seams more exotic and fun to RP with.

This okay with the mods/admin people?

Commander Zemil Vymes
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:55:09 AM
So the guy is a pint-sized Gundam?

While legal (I think), its an idea doomed to failure.

That, and gun kata makes me lol, but that's just me.

Tiberius Anar
Mar 1st, 2004, 01:25:07 PM
Originally posted by Jarek Tchort
Welcome. You know......the Empire is always looking for recruits. :)

But he's not a politician!

Welcome.

Gray
Mar 1st, 2004, 02:19:57 PM
Pint sized gundam, lol. :D

Nah, the idea is that the suit is not much of a protective armour system (as it was originaly) so much as a speed augmenting system. Promoting rapid reflexes, agility and speed rather than strength, carry weight and the like.

Protection is reduced to maybe standard carapace stuff that a mandalorian might wear (like a bullet-proof vest equivalent for blasters) but augments speed/reflexes to about double normal (for short periods of time, over short distances) instead.
And a few 'tricky' accesories like photo-chromatic contacts that interface into suit sensor network; simple stuff like movement highlighter and nightvision. a pair of concealed holsters in the leg greaves, up sleaves as well.

He's easier to knock down but harder to hit.

Finese over force.

Teleran Balades
Mar 1st, 2004, 04:32:06 PM
Originally posted by Tiberius Anar
But he's not a politician!

But if the empire gets more politicians you have another competitor.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 1st, 2004, 04:32:39 PM
christian bale is already used

read the character database thread, plz

Gray
Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:49:00 AM
Doh!

I tried reading the thread but it's just so unrelentingly looooooong.
Okay then, I need to change.

I asume all the matrix dudes are taken, and I'm sure Sean Bean is taken.
What about Hugo Weaving?

Anyone know any good gunfighters I could use?

Charley
Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:44:08 AM
Matrix guys - taken.
Sean Bean - taken.
Hugo Weaving - taken.

If you're looking for gunfighters, maybe Chow Yun Fat is your speed. I haven't seen anyone use him, but you still need to check the list. It being "so unrelentingly looooooong" isn't really an excuse to skip it.

What type of gunfighter are you going for? Modern, I assume?

Gray
Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:46:16 AM
Yes, modern/futuristicy or rugged/cowboy.

I prefer the first, but the second is an option to.

What about Nathan Fillion or Adam Baldwin?

Charley
Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:56:27 AM
Read the thread.

James Prent
Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:39:22 PM
The thread is there so that other people don't have to answer these types of questions, and so you can find out the answer on your own without someone having to defend the image they use for their character.

Gray
Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:27:20 PM
Okay, sorry, my bad, I'll cheack the thread.

But I still welcome suggestions from anybody.

Harmony Cubel
Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:37:50 PM
Thread can also be read in a text format so you can use the wonderful Ctrl + F fuction.

And I have no suggestions.

Gray
Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:41:40 AM
Right, okay, I've claimed Kurt Russel (which isn't claimed already, as far as I know).

I'll alter the graphics as soon as I can cook up (and host) some new pics.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:49:57 AM
Right, okay, I've claimed Kurt Russel (which isn't claimed already, as far as I know).

I'll alter the graphics as soon as I can cook up (and host) some new pics.

I'm not sure, but I thought Snake (Russel) was claimed? I cant sat for sure as that Character database is evil to search through. It's nearly time to nuke that thread and start agian to make it easier and smaller to look through

Charley
Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:56:14 AM
Kurt Russel is claimed if I recall correctly (Escape from LA, I believe)

Gray
Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:05:09 PM
Aaaaarrrrgggg!

Yeah, I know, I just found it myself.

I'm convinveced that this place has claimed just about everybody in existance. :p

Never mind, back to the search.

Gray
Mar 4th, 2004, 08:11:20 AM
Well hang on a sec.
The guy who's claimed Christian Bale doesn't seem to be using him at the momment so I'll keep these graphics untill he reaches me (I've PMed him about it).

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 4th, 2004, 10:29:25 AM
that does not matter.

Gray
Mar 4th, 2004, 11:36:24 AM
It does if he doesn't mind letting me keep it.

Like I said, I'll change as soon as I find and make some new graphics or untill, in the slim chance, he lets me use it.

Zasz Grimm
Mar 4th, 2004, 11:36:27 AM
Well hang on a sec.
The guy who's claimed Christian Bale doesn't seem to be using him at the momment so I'll keep these graphics untill he reaches me (I've PMed him about it).

He has a claim. The claim still holds until he's relinquished it. Sorry, no go.

Charley
Mar 4th, 2004, 01:13:06 PM
It does if he doesn't mind letting me keep it.

Like I said, I'll change as soon as I find and make some new graphics or untill, in the slim chance, he lets me use it.

Or you could find something else and only use it if he specifically says so. That would work too.

Gray
Mar 5th, 2004, 08:13:16 AM
It's okay.

I got a PM back from him saying that he's fine with letting me use Christian Bale.

Yeaaahhheeeeee !:D

Crystal
Mar 5th, 2004, 12:33:05 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
I'm not sure, but I thought Snake (Russel) was claimed? I cant sat for sure as that Character database is evil to search through. It's nearly time to nuke that thread and start agian to make it easier and smaller to look through

Jenny's last post is how the database should be laid out. It's really easy to read and tell who's being used for who.

Would there be a way to just have one big post and let people PM changes so it's easier to look through, maybe arranged by the actors/etc. that are claimed so it's easy to find out if someone else is taken?

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2004, 09:34:32 AM
It'd be VERY hard. Especially when you remember some people claim by saying a characters name instead of the actor.