PDA

View Full Version : More LOTR : ROTK news!

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 27th, 2003, 06:00:08 PM
As reported on TORN this morning, the final running time of ROTK is 3 hours, 20 minutes and 37 seconds. There is provision for an intermission too.

There are preview screenigns being held today in LA. Expect some reviews tomorrow. Probably that crap hole AICN, if you can stand the stench, will have one.

And right now, will some bastard please speed time up to Dec 26 so I can see it.

JMK
Nov 27th, 2003, 06:02:14 PM
How are you going to feel once it's all over and no more anticipation for LotR movies?

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 27th, 2003, 06:05:53 PM
Originally posted by JMK
How are you going to feel once it's all over and no more anticipation for LotR movies?

I'm goign to.... I have no idea. All I can say right now is that I really have to try to lower my expectations to avoid being disappointed.

As if that's goign to happen. ROTK will be at least as good as TTT.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 27th, 2003, 07:47:53 PM
8 Minutes of that is probably credits, I heard the actual film time is 3 hours 12 minutes.

Figrin D'an
Nov 27th, 2003, 10:38:19 PM
3 hours and 20 minutes, and they couldn't put in anything about Saruman and Isengard?

:grumble

Dutchy
Nov 28th, 2003, 02:08:00 AM
Originally posted by JMK

Great! Can't wait.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 28th, 2003, 03:09:54 AM
Originally posted by Dutchy
Great! Can't wait.

The door isssssss that way Mister :p

SEVERE SPOILER WARNING!!!

http://www.tolkienonline.com/thewhitecouncil/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=74209

SAG screening. Marty in this thread answers all questions.

The reviews so far I've sighted are too good to be true.

And for people wondering what PJ changed - he seems not to have changed much... EXCEPT LEFT OUT SOME STUFF!

If your a Tolkein purist, your going to weep whats out. Real changes are few. Just... what's left out.

Master Yoghurt
Nov 28th, 2003, 06:59:18 AM
Originally posted by JMK

Well, even after seeing ROTK several times in the theater, I still have the 4 disc EE DVD of ROTK to look forward to. Those are going to be my precioussss, and will remain so for a long long time :D

Dutchy
Nov 28th, 2003, 08:26:20 AM
So tell me... what is, beside the stunning visuals, so great about these LOTR flicks?

Darth Viscera
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:00:47 AM
the story

JMK
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:37:42 AM
I thought it was just commom knowledge that LotR was a great story? You have to ask? :rolleyes

TCM'74
Nov 28th, 2003, 12:24:28 PM
Originally posted by Dutchy
So tell me... what is, beside the stunning visuals, so great about these LOTR flicks?

Well, the trilogy suffers inexoriably on characterizations for me personally. I love deeper character studies in movies. Besides Saruman, Gollum, Boromir, and perhaps the cinematic version of Faramir, everything else is sharply contrasted and defined. The goodies wear white hats and the baddies wear black hats. Simple and easy are the archtypes. Yet, I find similar works in the western genre, specifically two ... High Noon and Shane ... much richer in comparision LoTR's visually extravagent epicness. But hey, I am looking forward to RotK, I think it's going to be a great movie.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 28th, 2003, 07:41:46 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
If your a Tolkein purist, your going to weep whats out. Real changes are few. Just... what's left out.

Unlike the adaptation of Timeline by Michael Critchon, which I think is the worst book to screen adaptation of all time. Not only were things left out, they added characters, and altered the story greatly.

*choked back sob*

Okay, carry on with RotK... :cry

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:27:04 PM
Well I am not surprised LD. I haven't seen the movie but the reviews made me wait for DVD. What is this with Crichton books? Most of his novels have been shreeded for the screen.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:46:43 PM
The books are GREAT, too, which is why it's really sad. Jurassic Park and The Lost World were no exceptions to the "bad adaptation" rule - for 'story purists.' However, they were both decent movies....excellent movies even. Timeline doesn't have that going for it.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 28th, 2003, 10:38:12 PM
Timeline sounds as messed up as Congo which is a shame.

TCM'74
Nov 29th, 2003, 02:19:57 AM
I can't imagine anything worse than the Lost World, JP III, Congo, 13th Warrior, and Sphere. But Timeline may take the cake.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 29th, 2003, 03:58:32 PM
I liked the 13th Warrior - but then I haven't read Eaters of the Dead. I bet the book is tons better.

Timeline is SO much worse than Lost World. I read Lost World before I saw it and I wasn't as disappointed as I was with Timeline. :( I mean, it was still an okay movie, if you just ignored the book. Timeline just sucks, although it breaks my heart to say it.

Sith Lord
Nov 30th, 2003, 03:45:43 PM
I cant wait for ROTK just like I cant wait for ep3!

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 1st, 2003, 01:20:46 AM
Ah, go away with the Chritchon talk, this is ROTK thread! :D

One of my clients has an office in Wellington, literally on the main street near the Embassy theatre. They report it was a complte mad house, up to 100,000 people!

They are also just up the road from WETA and do know some of the techs. One person there has tickets for a press screening Saturday night.

Bastard.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 1st, 2003, 11:42:57 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
One of my clients has an office in Wellington, literally on the main street near the Embassy theatre. They report it was a complte mad house, up to 100,000 people!

100,000 people doing what?! Doing whaaaat!?!? :eek

Figrin D'an
Dec 1st, 2003, 12:37:36 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
100,000 people doing what?! Doing whaaaat!?!? :eek

Before the premier, there was a big "red carpet" parade in Wellington with everyone involved in the project. Apparently, lots of people showed up for it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 1st, 2003, 12:55:40 PM
I didn't know when the premeir was. :o

Makes sense now. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 1st, 2003, 07:26:10 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Before the premier, there was a big "red carpet" parade in Wellington with everyone involved in the project. Apparently, lots of people showed up for it.

You have no idea how many. My contacts in Wellingotn were boggled how many came out. 100,000 is the lowest estimate.

SPOILER WARNING!

http://www.exisle.net/mb/index.php?act=ST&f=12&t=10099&

http://www.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/moviediscussion/3FC78EAD0003FF7A.html

:D

JediBoricua
Dec 1st, 2003, 08:21:39 PM
A friend of mine is there right now...

I hate her! but I want to see the photos she brings back!

Master Yoghurt
Dec 4th, 2003, 10:18:18 PM
All the major newspapers in Norway have given ROTK the highest mark; diceroll 6/6. According to reports, old men and veteran film critics were crying like babies at the press screening..

The reviews are filled with superlatives, and there seems to be a consensus this is the best in the trilogy.