PDA

View Full Version : 21 Grams: can you feel the buzz?

Dutchy
Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:58:31 PM
Three years after the brilliant Amores Perros, director Alejandro González Iñárritu comes with 21 Grams, and the buzz is huge.

Very good comments at the IMDb (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0315733/) and an 8.0 grade average.

87% fresh at Rottentomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/21Grams-1127008/) and 100% at the Cream of the Crop.

A 4 star review from James Berardinelli (http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/t/21_grams.html), who really loves it ("It's one of those motion pictures that haunts your thoughts and won't let go").

Serieus Oscar buzz in all major categories: Best Picture, Sean Penn for Best Actor, Naomi Watts for Best Actress, Benicio Del Toro for Best Supporting Actor, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu for Best Director, and Guillermo Arriaga for Best Screenplay.

Of course, as with all great movies, it's going to be shown on few screens. This weekend it opened in the US on 8 screens avering $31,500 per screen. I think it's going to build up for a big Oscar momentum.

I want to see this movie bad, really bad.

CMJ
Nov 23rd, 2003, 03:12:59 PM
The buzz was better on it a few weeks ago. It will most likely fight with "Mystic River" for the critical darling spot.

Usually there's at least 1 film that critics laud and no one sees that gets a nomination. These two are the candidates for that spot.

Dutchy
Nov 23rd, 2003, 03:29:03 PM
With buzz I don't necessarily mean Oscar buzz, btw. Just the overall buzz.

It's been quite a while since I've been this eager to see a movie.

TCM'74
Nov 23rd, 2003, 07:27:47 PM
My local newspaper had a recent review lauding and praising the picture.

Actually my paper only prints Roger Ebert reviews ::rollseyes:: but he said alot of great things about this film including Sean Penn's performance that he suggest it surpasses Penn's other Oscar worthy performance in Mystic River. But you must approach Ebert reviews with caution, he often says too much about film.

21 Grams is a film I must see but there is no openings nearby.

Dutchy
Mar 27th, 2004, 08:02:45 AM
Originally posted by Dutchy
I want to see this movie bad, really bad.

Yes, I did, and deservedly so.

What a great, great movie. Alejandro González Iñárritu does it again. Superbly acted by Penn, Del Toro and Watts, who was the stand out among the stand outs. She really gave me chills. I loved the a-chronological screenplay. Very well done. It really got me into the whole thing. Very intruiging and compelling.

One of the very best movies of 2003, probably the best.

Madmartigan
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:44:37 AM
I recently saw it on DVD and it pissed me off for the the first entire hour of the film.

It was like being stylistic for the sole purpose of being stylistic, no events or characters related to each other for that first hour. It was nothing but random events that had nothing to do wit each other tell an hour in. Granted I loved the ending of this movie and the meaning as well as the plot once it got going but that is just too long too string your audience around without beginning to be more than just artistic.