PDA

View Full Version : College Basketball

CMJ
Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:53:18 PM
The season began in earnest this past week. I figured it was time to start a thread about my #1 true love. College hoops baby!

On the national scene alot of questions are gonna be answered this year - with all the coaches changing jobs. I don't really have a read on who will win the title yet. UConn hasn't looked impressive yet - not sure they deserve the #1 ranking yet.

Anyways, this is the thread for the season(at least till March Madness).

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:42:03 PM
UConn has looked great the last two games. They looked sluggish their first game, but I figure that is first game jitters. They really beat up the team they played today winning 111-64. They have two superstar players in Okeford (sp) and Gordon, and they have a very good third guy in Brown. They have a great team, IMO and will easily get a #1 seed in the tourney in March, if they will win who knows but I like their chances.

Ryan Pode
Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:05:06 PM
Maryland is going all the way. Enough said.

CMJ
Nov 23rd, 2003, 03:10:54 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
Maryland is going all the way. Enough said.

Your homer-ism is dazzling. :p

I didn't think the Huskies looked that impressive in either of their first 2 games. They did win huge yesterday, but I believe that was a Division II school they played. They SHOULD'VE won huge.

Ryan Pode
Nov 23rd, 2003, 09:14:02 PM
Your homer-ism is dazzling.
They will. After AU (not that impressive) but the Roanoke game. They lookin' good so young. Gary Williams is the man.

The Huskies lost a few key players and they didn't rebound, apparently.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 23rd, 2003, 11:12:24 PM
They never trailed against Nevada-Las Vegas they were up by at least 10 the whole game they just let the other team hang around. I am postive they will get it together it is still early.

CMJ
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:54:54 AM
Ryan - didn't say Maryland isn't a good squad. But to say there's no question a school win the CHAMPIONSHIP after what...2 games...is a bit insane. Especially when that team has alot of unproven, young talent.

Carr - I do think Conneticut will be great by years end. I just don't think like they look like the #1 team NOW. That could change in a few weeks. To be honest ranking teams this early is dumb.

Who the hell knows how anyone is gonna turn out yet?

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 24th, 2003, 12:40:19 PM
Yeah I agree with you there the rankings are meaningless, it only matters when the tournament happens. It is impossible to predict at this stage who will win it.

CMJ
Nov 24th, 2003, 12:51:27 PM
Well, I wouldn't say rankings are meaningless come January. But let the teams play a few games first. It's really hard to know how teams will pan out, especially with so many players leaving early for the NBA these days.

When a squad has several freshmen and sophmores that play big time minutes, you just don't know what you have. At least not till they've had time to gell.

Ryan Pode
Nov 24th, 2003, 02:06:56 PM
Hardly brash. Its the truth.

CMJ
Nov 24th, 2003, 03:22:39 PM
Okay. :rolleyes

You know now if they don't win you're gonna look like a total moron. If your team is as arrogant as you - they won't do squat in the ACC this year, much less the tournament.

I'm not saying they CAN'T win. I'd say any number of 20-30 schools can this year. It's really wide open. That's the point though. This isn't Duke in '92 when it was assumed they'd repeat - BECAUSE they basically returned their whole team. Maryland is really young. Give'm a month or two to prove themselves before you talk noise.

Figrin D'an
Nov 24th, 2003, 03:43:48 PM
The college basketball landscape is definately wide open this year, like CMJ said. UConn may be preseason #1, but they're hardly a totally dominant team. There's a lot of very good squads around, though. Looking at the Top 25, I can see any one of those teams winning their respective conference titles and making a run in March if they get on a roll at the right time. There's a few outside of the Top 25 that will be very good as well.

Most analysts are conceeding the Big Ten to Michigan State, with Illinois and Wisconsin finishing close to the top. I think that's a little bit ignorant, because there are some solid teams in the Big Ten besides those three. Michigan has a lot of talent, and now that their probation has been lifted, they're eligible for post-season play. Indiana is always dangerous. Minnesota usually makes a good showing.

And, I think a lot of people are overlooking Purdue. They lost their top scorer to graduation last season, but they'll be better this year. The defense will be improved (Kenny Lowe can lock down any guard in the country), they have a couple of very good outside shooters, and they'll have two big options in the post. I'm not saying that they'll be world-beaters, but if they get a few bounces to go their way, they're more than capable of winning the conference title.

CMJ
Nov 24th, 2003, 03:50:37 PM
Funny you mention Michigan State. I thought they looked great by the end of last season, and I told my best friend I had them pegged as my sleeper to win it all this year.

Guess I'm not as smart as I thought I was. ;)

Figrin D'an
Nov 24th, 2003, 03:55:19 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Funny you mention Michigan State. I thought they looked great by the end of last season, and I told my best friend I had them pegged as my sleeper to win it all this year.

Guess I'm not as smart as I thought I was. ;)

:lol

Don't get me wrong, the Spartans have an excellent team. I just think that the Big Ten will be more of a battle than most people expect. If Michigan State does come out on top, they'll definately have earned it. Everyone is going to beat the snot out of everyone else this year, and it's going to be a "which one survives" situation, rather than "which one beats down the others."

Just my opinion, though. :)

Ryan Pode
Nov 24th, 2003, 04:58:49 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Okay. :rolleyes

You know now if they don't win you're gonna look like a total moron. If your team is as arrogant as you - they won't do squat in the ACC this year, much less the tournament.

I am arrogant so my team doesn't half to be.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:44:08 PM
I guess my Huskies aren't going to be #1 any longer. They just came out flat in that game, didn't help Okeford hurt his leg and could hardly jump. Still they beat the crap out of Utah today at least they showed what they are capable of. I am not worried though it is a long season and it is way too early to worry about one loss.

CMJ
Nov 30th, 2003, 03:16:11 PM
Something like the top 5 teams lost this past week. A big shuffle is coming. ;)

Figrin D'an
Nov 30th, 2003, 05:58:37 PM
Kansas should be #1 this coming week. They beat Michigan State, and with everyone above them dropping a game, there's no reason to assume they won't make the jump.

Speaking of the upsets, it was Purdue that beat #2 Duke in the title game of the Great Alaska Shootout. :) Gotta love that tenacious man-to-man defense that Gene Keady gets his guys to play.

CMJ
Nov 30th, 2003, 06:41:46 PM
I was waiting for you to say something about that. ;) Huge win for the Boilers - and the Big 10. I've read a few analysts that thought the conference is weaker this year than it has been, but that was a statement game.

Ryan Pode
Nov 30th, 2003, 08:36:38 PM
So, I was watchin' me Terps ravage the Hofstra Pride. And SIX, count 'em, six players fouled out on the Hofstra side and 2 more had 4. That has to be some sort of record.

Charley
Dec 1st, 2003, 03:38:25 AM
ROLL TIDE!

(please God, help us save face for our horrible football season)

CMJ
Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:18:11 AM
The ACC domainated the first 2 nights of the Big 10/ACC challenege. Looks like they're back after a down year last season.

Figrin D'an
Dec 3rd, 2003, 12:06:42 PM
Ehh, I wouldn't say dominated. Yeah, the ACC won 4 of the first 5 games, but Wisconsin took Maryland into OT (and had ample opportunities to win), Illinois played extremely well against UNC even with Dee Brown having an off-night ("neutral court" my foot...), and Michigan showed they'll be a good team this year. The only really one-sided game was Wake Forest over Indiana (which, in an evil twisted way, I don't really mind so much... :evil ). I expect Georgia Tech will probably beat Ohio State, thus winning the Challenge again for the ACC, but I'll take Michigan State to beat Duke, Minnesota to beat Virginia and Purdue to beat Clemson to close the gap.

Ryan Pode
Dec 3rd, 2003, 08:49:21 PM
Well, Maryland has one senior on their team and two juniors, and Wisconsin was ranked higher. ACC to pwn.

Figrin D'an
Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:09:46 PM
I couldn't believe how badly Michigan State played. I was sure that, after losing to Kansas, they would be ready for Duke. Credit the Blue Devils for playing well, but the Spartans looked horrendous on defense at times, and they couldn't handle the ball pressure at all (Izzo had better find a real point guard... and quickly.)

Purdue won. That makes me happy, even though the Big Ten didn't have a very good showing this year in the Challenge.

CMJ
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:10:30 AM
The ACC really blew the doors off the Big 10. After watching Duke play last night all I can say is Purdue must be DAMN good.

CMJ
Dec 6th, 2003, 06:11:01 PM
Lots of games, more than I can mention. Yet, I have to point out #1 Kansas went down today.

Ryan Pode
Dec 6th, 2003, 06:24:08 PM
Maryland lost. :( Gonzoga just had the outside shooters and experience as opposed to the young Terps team.

Figrin D'an
Dec 6th, 2003, 06:53:18 PM
It's nearing the point at which Gonzaga should be considered among the elite programs. The sustained success they've had over the past 6 years is amazing for such a small school.

Since Kansas lost, I suppose this means that Florida will be #1 next week. Yarg. I have trouble buying that Gators are a top 10 team, much less worthy of #1. Oh well... nothing like being on top by default. :rolleyes.

Purdue won again. 6-0 on the young season. Their next game will be very tough, though... they travel to Norman to play Oklahoma, whom beat Michigan State today in Detroit. I'm not expected them to win, but they surprised me by beating Duke, so who knows...

CMJ
Dec 6th, 2003, 07:00:26 PM
I'm not a voter...but right now I'd have both Georgia Tech and Purdue in my Top 10.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2003, 10:03:05 AM
Hey what about Providence beating up a very good Illinois team yesterday. That was impressive, they could be a dangerous team this year. Every 7-8 years Providence seems to get the players together to make a run like they did when they lost to Arizona in the Elite 8.

Ryan Pode
Dec 10th, 2003, 08:39:44 PM
We won. Our Sophamore/Freshmen team beat #1 Florida in Florida. Booyeah.

CMJ
Dec 13th, 2003, 03:38:12 PM
Not a good week for Florida as they go down in Freedom Hall today. Did anyone watch the Gonzaga game? Wonderful stuff!!

Gotta love the Zags. ;)

Figrin D'an
Dec 13th, 2003, 10:09:53 PM
Man, Michigan State is going to regret that hellacious non-conference schedule. They've had basically 3 home games now against top 15 teams and lost all three, and they still have go on the road to play UCLA and Syracuse before Big Ten play begins. They're going to be beat up and have some serious confidence issues by the time conference play starts in January.

On the flip side, it looks like Kentucky will be #1 next week. Looks like no one wants to keep that top spot in the polls.

Purdue blasted Central Michigan today, 80-39. They apparently took out their scoring frustrations today after the lack-luster game against Oklahoma on Thursday. That game in Norman was one of the worst officiating jobs I've witnessed in several seasons. No consistency with foul calls throughout the game. I suppose the only good part was that both teams got equally screwed in that respect (reflected in the final score, most definately). Despite this, though, Purdue had a lot of chances to take a significant lead, and actually led in the final 2 minutes. At least the defense was top notch, as usual.

Ishan Shade
Dec 13th, 2003, 11:30:47 PM
Wildcats should be #1 after they're win over Mich State :D :D :D

Even though it doesnt mean anything this early in the season I'm still excited :D

CMJ
Jan 17th, 2004, 04:44:36 PM
This thread somehow got forgotten. After watching the Conneticut/NC game I had to find it. WHAT A GAME!!!

Gawd, I love college basketball. :D

BUFFJEDI
Jan 17th, 2004, 05:21:17 PM
This Is the way Tar Heel basketball was ment to be played, GO HEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rollin

CMJ
Jan 17th, 2004, 05:25:27 PM
Somehow I figured you might return if I mentioned the Heels. ;)

Figrin D'an
Jan 17th, 2004, 05:32:29 PM
How about Kentucky losing at home to Georgia? That was a bit surprising.

Purdue had the day off today. They beat Wisconsin on Wednesday, and play Minnesota this coming Wednesday. 12-4 so far. I so hope they can win the conference title this year... I'm damn sick of Michigan State, Illinois and Wisconsin.

CMJ
Jan 17th, 2004, 05:39:12 PM
I guess with Duke's impressive win over WF they'll be #1. Personally though, I think Stanford should be the top dog...if they win today.

Ryan Pode
Jan 18th, 2004, 09:12:24 AM
Maryland should be ranked. :mad

CMJ
Jan 19th, 2004, 11:53:07 PM
Pittsburgh falls the ranks of the unbeantens. Great game though...Connetict is tough as nails at home.

Figrin D'an
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:00:53 PM
Lots of upsets recently. UConn lost at home to Providence, Florida St. had the huge comeback to beat North Carolina, and they did it again today against Wake Forest. Kansas lost at home to Richmond (what?!). Duke has looked pretty good, though (gee, big surprise), and Stanford has played very well (still unbeaten). What about St. Josephs though? I know the competition hasn't been great for them so far, but they're slaugtering everyone in their path lately. Jameer Nelson sure has been impressive.

Purdue beat Minnesota this past Wednesday, and won a thriller in overtime today against Michigan State. They lead by 12 at one point, but allowed the Spartans back into the game, and eventually trailed by as many as 8 points before putting on a run late to tie the game. They then managed to get the lead in OT, and hit their freethrows to close out the win. I wasn't thrilled about the bad defense in the second half, but at least the main guys stepped up when they needed to. Next up... Indiana on Tuesday, with first place in the Big Ten on the line.

CMJ
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:16:17 PM
Duke looks great, but I still would have to vote Stanford #1. They've had some really impressive victories...AND they're still undefeated.

In personal interest NT is leading the Sunbelt's western division right now. :D

CMJ
Jan 31st, 2004, 07:11:02 PM
Tons of upsets today. I think 9 total ranked teams went down and Duke and Stanford barely escaped in their road games.

St Joseph's may not lose a game during the regular season.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 31st, 2004, 09:58:13 PM
Clemson beat UNC which I just couldn't believe. Clemson sucks in basketball. Still it was the biggest win Clemson has had in years. What do you think about Providence, CMJ? I personally think they could be a very dangerous team in the tournament, they could do a repeate what they did a few years ago when they made it to the elite 8.

CMJ
Feb 1st, 2004, 11:58:14 AM
Providence is going to be one of those dangerous sleepers in the draw. I figure they'll be about a 6 or 7 seed, with the ability to knock off a "big boy" in the second round.

As far as Clemson goes....they're usually good for a big upset or two during the ACC season. No huge surprise to me.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 1st, 2004, 12:00:06 PM
Maybe I have just been so down on Clemson Basketball, they haven't made the tournament in like 7 years when Rick Barnes was there. Not sure when they can turn that program around.

Ryan Pode
Feb 1st, 2004, 01:10:25 PM
Clemson isn't horrible, they are just bad compared to the ACC teams they have to play, thus their record sucks.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:00:53 PM
They haven't been over .500 in 5 years in my book that is bad, they have been the worst ACC team much of that time below bad baskeball teams like Florida State and NC State (they haven't been really good since Valvano left) I am not sure if its a recruting issue of if the University concentrates more on Football and Baseball, both sports which they excell in.

CMJ
Feb 5th, 2004, 10:25:21 PM
Wow...best rivalry in college basketball provided another classic. Duke beats NC 83-81 in OT, with an unbeliveable finish.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 22nd, 2004, 01:22:04 PM
Now with the NCAA tourney almost here what does everyone think? First Stanford and St Joes are still unbeaten can they go unbeaten until they tournement? Also the Pac-10 will only send 10 teams (unless Oregon can somehow win the Pac-10 tournement) The Big 10 might not be much better they might send no better than 3, Purdue is on the bubble and may or not make it. Here is a good look at the bubble teams for those who are curious.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?page=bubblewatch

Ryan Pode
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:10:59 PM
Bah, to early to start guessing.

Figrin D'an
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:50:44 PM
St. Joes, while having a storybook season thusfar, won't survive in the tourney. They had some good non-conference wins, but they've been getting rich off of a weak A-10 conference. I want to see how they react when they are actually threatened by a team that can run with them.

Stanford... they need to lose before the tourny begins. A loss in the Pac-10 tournament would do them good, and be a strong motivation for them. They have Final Four potential, but a hot-shooting team could scorch them.

The Big Ten will send four teams... Michigan State, Wisconsin, Illinois and Purdue. As long as Purdue gets to 20 wins, they'll get in. A fifth team could sneak in by winning the conference tournament.

The Pac-10 will probably only get two teams in, unless Washington can win three of their last four. They've been hot lately, though, and they play Stanford at home to close the regular season. If they could pull of the upset, it might make enough of an impression for the committee to give them an at-large spot.

Ryan Pode
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:52:52 PM
ACC will probably be sending six, seven if Maryland can get their act together.

Figrin D'an
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:55:55 PM
Maryland can get in, but they'll need a good run the ACC tournament and finish the regular season strong. The overall strength of the ACC will help their cause, too.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:10:36 PM
The Big East and SEC might send in 7 as well this is all of course because of how weak the Pac 10 and Big 10 are this year.

CMJ
Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:18:07 AM
The ACC is just murderous this season.

Honestly, I've thought that Stanford was the best team in the nation for sometime now. It would be beneficial if they would lose before the tourney starts, because I can't see them going undefeated.

St Joseph's is kinda tossed aside because of their weak schedule, but we've head teams come out of that conference and make noise come tournament time before.

Figrin D'an
Mar 4th, 2004, 10:52:42 PM
I just had to post this...

I'm sure everyone has heard about the "Coaching Basketball" class that Jim Harrick Jr. taught while he was an assistant coach at Georgia (while Harrick Sr. was head coach). The class came under fire during the investigation into Harrick Sr.'s mideeds. The other day, it was revealed that those rumors seemed to be justified, when the University of Georgia released a copy of the final exam he gave for the class.

Well... SI.com posted the entire 20-question exam.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/basketball/ncaa/03/03/bc.bkc.georgia.easyclas.ap/index.html

Pretty unbelievable. Like his dad, Harrick Jr. should never work in collegiate athletics, or for a university, ever again.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2004, 11:02:31 PM
I read that the other day yeah it is unbelievable and I love this one

11. What is the name of the exam which all high school seniors in the State of Georgia must pass?
a. Eye Exam
b. How Do The Grits Taste Exam
c. Bug Control Exam
d. Georgia Exit Exam

If you didn't pick D you must be the biggest moron in the world. LOL

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2004, 11:47:35 PM
I wish I coulda taken a class like that. ;)

BTW: Stanford looks like a team of destiny. Did you see that loose ball scrum and shot? OMFG!! This is at least the third time the Cardinal has won a game in unreal fashion.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 5th, 2004, 01:08:28 AM
I don't know if they are a team of destiny. I think the tourney is up for grabs I think any number of 15 teams could win it.

CMJ
Mar 5th, 2004, 10:23:33 AM
I agree with that, maybe even 20+ teams can win. But, I sure as hell am not gonna bet against the Cardinal.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 5th, 2004, 10:38:04 AM
I think they could make a Run. And I think you are right 20 teams might not be an overstatement, this is the most open I have seen it in a while and I thought last season was wide open (it turned out it was right a 4 seed one) this year could be similar.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 6th, 2004, 09:29:59 PM
Well Stanford lost to Washington, only St. Joes left now. Stanford should still get a #1 seed as long as they don't do too poorly in their tourney.

CMJ
Mar 6th, 2004, 10:15:33 PM
As long as Stanford doesn't lose by 40+ in the first round on the PAC-10 tourney they have a #1 seed. I still consider them the favorite to win it all.

Duke-Carolina was typically brilliant.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:48:53 AM
I saw the end of that game. Also five teams are now in, Princeton, Murray St., Liberty, E. Tenn, and Central Florida.

Darth Imperios
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:43:07 PM
Illinois is on the verge of thier first out-right Big Ten Regular season title since 1952 and I'm about to go apeers!

Fig allready had to deal with my gloating lol hopefully all the Big Ten will soon!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2004, 09:23:55 PM
Yeah I saw that, also according to ESPN they don't even think Purdue will make the tourney without winning the Big 10 tournament. There are other teams which are in the same perdictament, and then you have Washington whose low RPI could keep them out.

Ryan Pode
Mar 8th, 2004, 05:28:43 AM
With Maryland's victory last night, I feel confident we are at least in.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 9th, 2004, 12:29:43 PM
Four More teams got bids last night
Manhattan
Gonzaga
VA Commonwealth
Northern Iowa

Here are the teams that are in

Atlantic Sun: Central Florida
Big South: Liberty
Colonial: Va. Commonwealth
Ivy League: Princeton
MAAC: Manhattan
Missouri Valley: Northern Iowa
OVC: Murray State
Southern: E. Tenn. State
WCC: Gonzaga

Also Southern Illnois got beat the other night and they are the best team from the MV and they will get an at large so this will keep some major team out (Florida State, Notre Dame, or Missouri)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2004, 12:29:12 PM
St. Joes unbeaten season might be over, Xavier is beating them by 27 points at the moment 59-32 early second half. That is a shocker I thought Xavier might beat them, but not that much. Now Xavier should get in, although this conference will be interesting, you have Richmond on the other end who is trying to get in as well I wouldn't be shock to see the two of them fighting it out in the Conference Finals.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2004, 01:16:13 PM
No more unbeatens St. Joes lost to Xavier 87-67, this could cost them a #1 seed. If they had gotten beaten by less than ten in a close game that is one thing, but they got blown out in this game, the game was never close Xavier had a 30 point lead at one point. It will be interesting to see what happens.

CMJ
Mar 11th, 2004, 02:01:56 PM
I think it depends on if Kentucky, Miss St, or Pittsburgh win their conference tourney's. If they all go down St. Joe's might hold onto a 1 seed. If not they'll end up a #2 in the East.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2004, 02:09:10 PM
Yeah I agree with that. Another thing is the bubble situation there are like 10 teams out there fighting for 4 spots right now they are
Notre Dame
Florida State
Richmond
Colorado
Oklahoma
Missouri
Washington
Utah
Nevada
Utep
The last two teams are Wac one will get the automatic bid but the other will have to sweet it out.

Right now I can't pick 4 teams honestly it will depend on what happens in the next two days.
Missouri has got to beat Texas A&M then Kansas, Florida State-NC State, ND-Uconn, Richmond-Temple than Dayton, then there is Washington who could go either way, of course they have got to beat UCLA first. Of course this doesn't account for the possibility of Indiana,Purdue or Georgia winning their tourneys although right now I don't see that happening.

Ka' el Darcverse
Mar 11th, 2004, 02:50:44 PM
I'm hoping the Illini get a 4 seed. I think that's the best we can hope for currently unless we make a run through the Big Ten tourney, maybe win by an average of 10 or better then we might sneak in a 3 spot, but I think 4 or 5 is currently what we are at.

Figrin D'an
Mar 11th, 2004, 05:38:15 PM
*shakes head*

I can't believe how Purdue just collapsed at the end of the season. They haven't played a good game in over a month. After such a promising start to the season, they played terrible down the stretch.

Unless there is an upset winner of the conference tournament, the Big Ten will only be sending Illinois, Michigan State and Wisconsin.

Ka' el Darcverse
Mar 11th, 2004, 06:30:12 PM
Michigan has the capablity to make a run and don't ever count out Indiana in Indiana

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2004, 11:08:12 PM
Well I think Notre Dame is dead they need to beat UConn, IMO. Missouri needs to beat Kansas and the way they played today I don't think they can. I think Richmond is going to sneak into the tournment they looked great against Temple, they need to beat Dayton to be a lock, IMO.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 13th, 2004, 01:25:44 AM
Well talk about a messy situation in College Baskeball. First Utah State Goes down, now they should get in they have had a great year and have been ranked for a while. Second Utah beats BYU which means the MWC has to send 3 teams (Air Force and BYU should get in and now either Utah or UNLV. Most likely the WAC will only send one now, this also means that Missouri, Colorado and Oklahoma, who all lost are out, IMO. Florida State will not make it either. Another team whose fate is iffy is LSU, they have been struggling of late. Then you have Washington, who I guess could win again to soliditify their fate as the automatic bid but if they lose to Stanford their RPI could still doom them. Richmond is the other iff team. Beating Dayton I think would make them a lock right now but now they are iff. Personally I bet Washington and Richmond both get in, I suspect LSU will get left out because of their poor showing of late. Of course this doesn't consider that Kent State could knock Western Michigan off clouding the issue even further.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 13th, 2004, 10:01:57 PM
Man the Big East Final was a great game, Gordon is really a clutch player. I think this makes them a 2 now and they could go all the way especially with Okeford healthy.

Ryan Pode
Mar 13th, 2004, 10:07:39 PM
Where did this Maryland team come from? 20 point come from behind against NC State. Man, what a game.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 13th, 2004, 10:21:26 PM
Yeah that surprised me when I saw them down by that much I thought it was over.

Ryan Pode
Mar 14th, 2004, 02:48:09 PM
Holy moly!!!!!

What a game.

Figrin D'an
Mar 14th, 2004, 08:32:06 PM
Are we going to do a tourament picks thread again this year?

Ryan Pode
Mar 14th, 2004, 08:59:44 PM
I hope so, I'll run it if need be.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2004, 09:26:32 PM
Yeah I think we should. I wouldn't do brackets do tough, I just have pick Thursday-Fridays game by Thursday before game time than the weekend games by Saturday before game time that is how I think we did it last year.

So what does everybody think about the brackets? I think the thing is wideopen and don't have a clue who is going to win it. My favorite would be Uconn right now, and my two sleepers are Providence and Xavier.

Ryan Pode
Mar 14th, 2004, 09:39:38 PM
I'd throw my money with Oklahoma St., with Maryland and Louisville being sleepers. Maryland especially after their recent wins. Just amazing.

Ishan Shade
Mar 15th, 2004, 01:01:36 AM
Kentucky got a number 1 seed...a surprising treat. I hope my Wildcats do well, though I don't look for them to make it all the way.

CMJ
Mar 15th, 2004, 09:36:22 AM
Yeah, we should start a pick'em thread. Let's definitely go round by round - that way we don't get totally killed if a projected final four team gets upset 1st round. ;)

My projected four in San Antonio. Damn the cities..gonna list by region.

South - Duke
West - Stanford
East - Wake Forest
Midwest - Georgia Tech

National Champion - Stanford

Which means of course...none of these teams will make the Final Four. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2004, 11:53:36 AM
I hate the lack of geographical regions too, it just doesn't work for me.
As for my Final Four I find it hard to predict but my guesses
East Pittsburgh
South Duke
West UConn
MidWest Gonzaga

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2004, 01:11:16 PM
Also who else thinks Utah State got the shaft? They belong in there over UTEP, IMO.

Ryan Pode
Mar 15th, 2004, 04:52:38 PM
St. Louis- Kentucky
E. Rutherford- Oklahoma St.
Atlanta- Duke
Phoenix- Maryland

With Maryland the way they are going. I think the Atlanta Bracket is loaded, but Duke is the best bet to pull through. And I see Texas Tech upseting St. Joe's.

Utah, UTEP, maybe the committee got confused?