PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Chan reportedly signed on as Cato

TCM'74
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:06:50 PM
I found this newsbrief in this morning's paper...

Judo-chopping star Jackie Chan has reportedly signed on to star alongside funny man Steve Martin in the new "Pink Panther" movie.

Chan will play Cato, Inspector Clouseau's faithful valet, in "Birth of the Pink Panther". Martin recently committed to the role made famous by the late Peter Sellers who filled the role five times in his career.

Why does Hollywood insist on making remakes of classic movies that can't truly be reproduced? I have huge apprehensions about Martin and feel he is seriously miscast and this role is beyond his abilities. Chan will fair much better I suppose.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:36:55 PM
I don't think anybody could play Inspector Clouseau again, except Peter Sellers. He was brilliant in those movies they shouldn't even dare make any more.

TCM'74
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:49:51 PM
Remakes always fail to live up to the classics. There is maybe one or two exceptions I can think of that were more than decent or nearly equal to the original.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:38:52 AM
It depends on what it is a remake of. If its a remake of a movie hardly anybody has seen than it works but classics like Psycho and Pink Panther are just bad ideas.

Jedieb
Nov 24th, 2003, 09:31:28 PM
Steve Martin is a very funny comedian/actor, but Sellers was just so good in the role that I don't see how this remake will work. Then again, many of the people who show up opening weekend will never have seen a Panther film in theaters so it could have a decent B.O.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:22:04 PM
I doubt I will go see it. To me the originals are classics especially A shot in the Dark and the Pink Panther Strikes Again. The Pink Panther Strikes Again is my favorite is where former Chief inspector Dreyfus escapes from his Mental Asylum and threatens the world with some nuclear device if they don't kill Clouseau. It was hilarious between Peter Sellers and Herbert Lom it is the best one of the series, IMO.