PDA

View Full Version : Trilogy DVD Release Date---IT"S OFFICIAL!!!!

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:23:49 AM
From here (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/06/2351207&mode=thread&tid=101&tid=188&tid=97):

"The Digital Bits is reporting that there is finally some official information from Lucasfilm regarding the release of the Star Wars OT (episodes IV, V, and VI) on DVD. The movies are coming to DVD in September of 2004. The animated series of Clone Wars shorts appearing soon on the Cartoon Network will also be released on DVD, possibly before the end of this year. The teaser campaign for Episode III will begin in January of 2005, leading up to the May theatrical release. Finally... Episode III will hit DVD in November of 2005."

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=16453

JMK
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:46:49 AM
thedigitalbits is a site I frequent a lot anyway, when I read that yesterday I nearly popped! This is all great news! :D

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:02:26 PM
I bet it will happen, Lucas will have some time to work on it hopefully and do a commentary.

JMK
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:55:16 PM
I think it will be a fairly bare bones set. I'd rather see the commentary track included on the set that will come out after Episode 3. If he does all the commentaries at once I think they will be more coherent.

ADarksideJedi
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:38:41 PM
wow best new I heard all day!(I been sick so it really is the best thing I ever heard!)YEA!
Anyway thanks for telling me this news!I can't wait until it comes out and then I can have a party a star wars party and watch all six of them with my friends that would be so cool!JM

JediBoricua
Nov 8th, 2003, 09:55:14 AM
I don't know if it is from that site, but I read somewhere in TF.net that they are also considering a couple of TV projects after Ep3, including a live action series.

JMK
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:49:05 AM
That scares me. I hope it doesn't happen, as much as I love SW. They're best on the big screen, and any live action tv stuff is not going to be anything special IMO.

JediBoricua
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:43:45 AM
Unless is a rogue squadron series that follows the novels.

With a decent cast and a healthy budget they could do a really good work.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:47:43 PM
If they do that stuff I think they should animate like the Clone Wars cartoon that way you can still have Luke and Han, etc.

JMK
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:36:13 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with animated stuff, a la Clone Wars, but that's about it for me. Anything live action would cheapen the movies I think.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:35:01 AM
Live Action would be almost impossible for TV. It is too expensive to do. I would think if they do it would be animated show maybe do some animated movies based on the books (X-Wing, Thrawn Triolgy) that would be great IMO.

Crystal
Nov 9th, 2003, 07:18:44 AM
Live action would be crazy.. maybe they want to do a dramaish show, like cheaper action and less of it. Maybe about some padawans in training or something. Basicly like a highschool soap opera for the sci-fi fans?

And thanks for the DVD news, Jen.. been wondering about that for a while now.

JediBoricua
Nov 21st, 2003, 11:09:23 AM
Today on TF.net, they report this:

It has been reported all over the web and on this website for months, though now there's a resurgence in the rumors that an eventual and final release of the Classic Trilogy is coming. Where these rumors are coming from now is a person emailing a list of changes to websites and telling them work is being done. And while we can defintiely confirm that ILM is working on the movies for plenty of enhancements, the list may not be accurate.
Here's the run down of possible and very rumored changes:

Episode IV: A New Hope

-The Imperial March has been added to Darth Vader's first appearance on Princess Leia's ship.

-When Obi-Wan is talking to Luke about his father Anakin's Theme plays in the background and then it turns into the Imperial March as he talks about Vader.

-The lightsaber effects have been redone and the frame jumps of lightsabers being turned on has been removed.

-There's a new scene which has been shot during the filming of Episode III in which the Emperor dissolves the Senate.

-In the Cantina, the Duros (green aliens guys) have been replaced with Neimoidians and some aliens from the prequels have been added.

-The bleeding arm on the floor in the Cantina has been replaced with a non-bleeding arm because it's now canon that lightsabers cauterize wounds.

-The original shooting scene between Han and Greedo has been restored.

-Jabba the Hutt has been given a makeover and Han no longer steps on his tale.

-In place of R2 wobbling down the stairs to the Falcon's hangar, a CG R2 navigating the stairs like he does in Attack of the Clones was added.

-The white boxes around space ships have been removed and new CG shots have been added.

-The scene of the Falcon being chased by the two Star Destroyers was modified. The Falcon now does spinning moves, avoiding the Star Destroyers' fire.

-When the Death Star destroys Alderaan there's a new scene of Yoda's reaction to the disturbance in the Force that is created by all those deaths and then it cuts to Obi-Wan reacting to it as well.

-The Dianoga has gotten a CG makeover and were are now able to see more of the creature.

-The Death Star's paneling and computers have been slightly altered to show similar displays to those in the prequels.

-The words "Tractor Beam" with Aurebesh lettering.

-More stormtroopers have been added to the Death Star.
Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for use with all the stormtroopers.

-The Obi-Wan/Vader duel has been spruced up. It is much more epic and there is much more movement. A modified version of Duel of the Fates is being considered for the scene.

-The Death Star plans that are taken from R2 have been updated. When the Rebels are reviewing the Death Star plans they look similar to the plans we see in Attack of the Clones.

-The Death Star battle is much more epic with more Tie Fighters and more Rebels being blown to bits. We get to see old Naboo starfighters being used by the Rebels.

-There's a new scene (shot during Episode III) where Darth Vader goes to Coruscant and lands his ship in the same building Count Dooku does at the end of Attack of the Clones. Except now the building is all fixed up and it is now Palpatine's palace. He meets with Palpatine to ask for forgiveness for his failure and inform him of a new potential who is strong in the Force.

-Chewbacca now gets a medal.

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

-The taun-tauns are now CG.

-The battle of Hoth is much more epic. We see the Imperial ships land on Hoth and release AT-ATs. The AT-ATs have been sped up a bit. There's a ground battle between the Rebel soldiers and stormtroopers featuring new ships and vehicles.

-Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for the older Boba Fett and all the stormtroopers.

-The white boxes around space ships have been removed.

-The slug monster is CG.

-Ian McDiarmid has refilmed scenes as the Emperor. The conversations between Vader and Palpatine is now longer and features a few connections to the prequels.

-Yoda's face is now animated in CG allowing more expression of emotions yet his movements remain the same. Also two deleted scenes featuring Yoda instructing Luke have been restored.

-A new scene was shot in which the stormtroopers, after they capture Han, Leia and Chewie, bring Vader the box containing C-3PO in pieces. Vader orders the stormtroopers to bring the broken droid to Chewbacca's cell so that he can fix him.

-The lightsaber effects have been redone in certain parts.

-Luke's fall from Cloud City has been reshot against bluescreen using a stuntman.

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

-Jabba the Hutt is now a combination of the puppet and CG.

-The Rancor is CG and looks disgusting as ever.

-Yoda is CG. Yoda disappears leaving his clothes behind like Obi-Wan now.

-The ewoks are now mostly CG and there are a lot more of them.

-The plan is to insert the love theme Across the Stars when Luke is talking with Leia about their mother.

-Temuera Morrison's like before is now the voice for Boba Fett and all the stormtroopers.

-In the battle of Endor there are thousands of Ewoks and they are more vicious than there midgets-in-suits counterparts. More bite the dust now.

-White boxes around ships removed.

-The black blotches around Palpatine's face are gone.

-Some of the lightsaber effects have been redone. The shadows that the lightsabers made on the floor are gone.

-During Anakin's death scene it starts with a sad rendition of the Imperial March and slowly evolves into Anakin's Theme.

-Sebastion Shaw who played Anakin when he was unmasked has been replaced with Hayden Christenson in make-up to make him look older. Anakin has much more dialogue. He apologizes for the destruction he caused, he thanks his son for turning him back to the light, he tells his son to rebuild the Jedi and he says he loves him and his sister. Just before he dies he says, "It is finished...".

-We see more planets celebrating at the end of the movie. We see an aged Jar Jar, who is now the leader of the Gungans, on Naboo celebrating with the people of Naboo and the Gungans. We see an old Watto, who is now unable to fly, sitting in a hover chair cheering on Tatooine. During these scenes Across the Stars plays transitioning to the victory celebration music at the Ewok tree village.

-Anakin's spirit is now played by Hayden Christenson with make-up to make him look his age. He looks on proudly at his son Luke with the spirit of Padme by his side.

Again, these are more of a wish list than accurate information.
We also wanted to tell you something perhaps even more significant. Episode I: The Phantom Menace is getting a full overhaul as well. We'll leave you with that for now.

Some of these sound good, Han shooting first and all, and some sound horrible, Yoda in ANH for instance.

darth_mcbain
Nov 21st, 2003, 12:55:23 PM
Man, I hope they do not do that. I can understand them wanting to make more connections between the PT and the OT, but there are enough connections there anyway - and even if it is not spelled out 100%, people will know. I don't have a problem with them cleaning a few things up, but I think this is way too many changes.

JMK
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:13:59 PM
I only have a problem with the scene of Naboo & Jar Jar at the end of RotJ. The rest I am either indifferent about or welcome.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:45:33 PM
I think most of this is a wish list so who knows how much of it will happen. I am certain the stuff with the boxes around the fighters will be the fixed. Some of that stuff I just wonder about like Chewie getting a medel unless they filmed a scene like that and cut it out it be hard to refilm it now.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 21st, 2003, 04:05:19 PM
-We see more planets celebrating at the end of the movie. We see an aged Jar Jar, who is now the leader of the Gungans, on Naboo celebrating with the people of Naboo and the Gungans. We see an old Watto, who is now unable to fly, sitting in a hover chair cheering on Tatooine. During these scenes Across the Stars plays transitioning to the victory celebration music at the Ewok tree village.

ARRRRRRGH -head explodes-

Master Yoghurt
Nov 21st, 2003, 04:15:46 PM
Im all for improved visual effects, but some of these ideas with reshooting of scenes is stretching it a bit too far, IMO.. I am not sure if I love it or hate it.

What really irks me though, its the prequels which should bridge the gap to the original trilogy, not the other way around.

JMK
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:04:00 PM
Episode 3 hasn't come out yet, but I still see too much of a stylistic gap between the 2 trilogies. So rather than force the issue with Episode 3 bridging all the gaps, I'm all for spreading it out over the OT as well. Like I said, the only thing I have a problem with is the Jar Jar scene. There's really not much in terms of new scenes, just additions and tweaks to scenes that make the 6 movies flow easier. You'll all see, mark my words. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:06:26 PM
Truthly a lot of that sounds like coming out of some fanboy's minds. Now I do wish they put the Han thing back, and I am all for showing more planets at the end of ROTJ (Kyyshykk (sp) Naboo, Corellia perhaps) also would like to replace that awful monkey face emperor in ESB any maybe any relevant deleted scenes that are still out there. But other wise I doubt he will be doing massive reshoots he might do stuff like add Morrison's voice in there and change the music like adding the Imperial March in ANH but the rest of that I don't see happening.

JMK
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:33:03 PM
Here are the ones I see as cool and very possible:

Episode IV: A New Hope

-The Imperial March has been added to Darth Vader's first appearance on Princess Leia's ship.

-When Obi-Wan is talking to Luke about his father Anakin's Theme plays in the background and then it turns into the Imperial March as he talks about Vader.

-The lightsaber effects have been redone and the frame jumps of lightsabers being turned on has been removed.

-There's a new scene which has been shot during the filming of Episode III in which the Emperor dissolves the Senate.

-The bleeding arm on the floor in the Cantina has been replaced with a non-bleeding arm because it's now canon that lightsabers cauterize wounds.

-The original shooting scene between Han and Greedo has been restored.

-Jabba the Hutt has been given a makeover and Han no longer steps on his tale.

-In place of R2 wobbling down the stairs to the Falcon's hangar, a CG R2 navigating the stairs like he does in Attack of the Clones was added.

-The white boxes around space ships have been removed and new CG shots have been added.

-The scene of the Falcon being chased by the two Star Destroyers was modified. The Falcon now does spinning moves, avoiding the Star Destroyers' fire.

-The Dianoga has gotten a CG makeover and were are now able to see more of the creature.

-The Death Star's paneling and computers have been slightly altered to show similar displays to those in the prequels.

-The words "Tractor Beam" with Aurebesh lettering.

-More stormtroopers have been added to the Death Star.
Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for use with all the stormtroopers.

-The Obi-Wan/Vader duel has been spruced up. It is much more epic and there is much more movement. A modified version of Duel of the Fates is being considered for the scene.

-The Death Star battle is much more epic with more Tie Fighters and more Rebels being blown to bits. We get to see old Naboo starfighters being used by the Rebels.

-Chewbacca now gets a medal.

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

-The taun-tauns are now CG.

-The battle of Hoth is much more epic. We see the Imperial ships land on Hoth and release AT-ATs. The AT-ATs have been sped up a bit. There's a ground battle between the Rebel soldiers and stormtroopers featuring new ships and vehicles.

-Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for the older Boba Fett and all the stormtroopers.

-The white boxes around space ships have been removed.

-The slug monster is CG.

-Ian McDiarmid has refilmed scenes as the Emperor. The conversations between Vader and Palpatine is now longer and features a few connections to the prequels.

-The lightsaber effects have been redone in certain parts.

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

-Jabba the Hutt is now a combination of the puppet and CG.

-Yoda is CG. Yoda disappears leaving his clothes behind like Obi-Wan now.

-The ewoks are now mostly CG and there are a lot more of them.

-The plan is to insert the love theme Across the Stars when Luke is talking with Leia about their mother.

-Temuera Morrison's like before is now the voice for Boba Fett and all the stormtroopers.

-White boxes around ships removed.

-The black blotches around Palpatine's face are gone.

-Some of the lightsaber effects have been redone. The shadows that the lightsabers made on the floor are gone.

-During Anakin's death scene it starts with a sad rendition of the Imperial March and slowly evolves into Anakin's Theme.

-Sebastion Shaw who played Anakin when he was unmasked has been replaced with Hayden Christenson in make-up to make him look older. Anakin has much more dialogue. He apologizes for the destruction he caused, he thanks his son for turning him back to the light, he tells his son to rebuild the Jedi and he says he loves him and his sister. Just before he dies he says, "It is finished...".

-We see more planets celebrating at the end of the movie. During these scenes Across the Stars plays transitioning to the victory celebration music at the Ewok tree village.

-Anakin's spirit is now played by Hayden Christenson with make-up to make him look his age.

The part with "Anakin looks on with Padme at his side" is ridiculous. That cannot happen.

ReaperFett
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:19:31 AM
Although AICN says it is nonsense, let's just remember that AICN are hardly experts at what is true and what isn't ;)

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=16560

You know, I like the majority of these. The music tie-ins will be great, as will the improved battles. Nothing here is what I'd call "wrong".

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:42:55 AM
Wasn't this already posted in here (http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32998)?

ReaperFett
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:50:14 AM
No, that's a slightly different list :)

Figrin D'an
Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:16:13 PM
Could've all been stuck in the same thread...

anyway...

Some changes sound decent, but I kind of wish Lucas would stop tinkering. I'm just afraid that for every couple of good changes, we'll get another "Greedo shoots first" moment. :x

ReaperFett
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:07:03 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Could've all been stuck in the same thread...

I looked in the forum, I saw a thread about the release date, NOT the changes. So sue me for not checking every thread just incase it has been brought up.

Figrin D'an
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:36:47 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
No, that's a slightly different list :)

This comment made it appear that you had indeed been aware of the list(s) in the thread. Hence my comment.

There's no need to get snippy about about.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:08:57 AM
I want the OT, unadulterated on DVD. Is that too much to ask for?

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 23rd, 2003, 11:10:14 AM
I would just like to get it on DVD period, I be happy in any form.

TCM'74
Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:40:49 PM
Unadulterated form I want badly. Those are the movies that made the history and spawned generations of followers. A director shouldn't change that including George Lucas. Like a fossil preserved in amber film represent a record in the annals of cinema history and represent an important piece in the evolution/progression of film-making.

I need not remind any of you of the value the original prints hold for film students and film historians especially in the study of Special Effects. These new piecemeal-reconstructed Special Editions are contaminated. Would anyone dream of returning to Cecil De'Mille's masterpiece, The Ten Commandments and creating an improved cgi dividing of the Red Sea or going back and giving the great white shark in Spielberg's Jaws a cgi makeover? No, of course not. It would be detrimental and disasterous.

JediBoricua
Nov 23rd, 2003, 07:02:58 PM
I'm on JMC's camp. I would be happy just having 'em on DVD.

Anyway the unchanged OT will be released eventually. The money making potential of it is just too much for Lucas, or maybe his children to ignore.

TCM'74
Nov 23rd, 2003, 07:16:31 PM
Originally posted by JediBoricua

Anyway the unchanged OT will be released eventually. The money making potential of it is just too much for Lucas, or maybe his children to ignore.

I really hope so. It would be tragic if future generations are never offer an opportunity to watch the original theatrical-run prints. To view them in their purest form as the day they opened in theatres in '77, '80, and '83. No need for any tinkering.

darth_mcbain
Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:16:11 AM
According to TF.N, the originals will not be released as a box set, only individually. I don't know how reliable their source is on that one, but if that's true, that really stinks. Not that it matters all that much, though - I'm gonna get them one way or the other, but it makes so much more sense to box them up...

TCM'74
Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:20:06 PM
Boxed sets are convenient and can be aesthetically nice too. But the source at TF.N could be wrong.

JMK
Jan 6th, 2004, 09:27:06 AM
http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml#22966

Apparently it's confirmed. Changes to the OT are coming for the DVD release.

darth_mcbain
Jan 6th, 2004, 09:53:45 AM
I just read that myself. As I've mentioned before, I have no problem with him tinkering with the movies until he's happy - but I sure hope that they will release multiple versions of the films so that you can watch the OT in its true original state. Not that I mind the SE - in fact for the most part I prefer it, but I also enjoy popping in the true originals now and then to relive the experience we had growing up with them.

I doubt it will happen, but it stinks - the DVD format would support multiple versions so nicely. Or release them separately as a completely separate box-set...

darth_mcbain
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:15:48 PM
From TF.N

In November 2004 we'll see the Original Trilogy on DVD! There probably won't be any added scenes, simply the 3 Special Edition films along with with a bonus 4th disk. Basically they're going to take the Indy trilogy to use as a model.
Also included will be Episode 3 teaser material!

The Indy boxed set just became the best selling boxed set ever. They expect SW to take that title, later this year. No news of any 6 DVD boxed sets or the classic versions of the film.

Still no mention of the true originals - just the SE... Oh well...

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:15:18 PM
I am still betting we get an ultra version after the films are done, who knows what will be on that. I just hope he puts a commentary on this one.

darth_mcbain
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:02:14 PM
The latest from TF.N...

We've received information from a reliable source that an official announcement regarding the much rumored Trilogy DVD is expected soon. Our source says next Tuesday (2/10) will bring official word that the Special Edition versions of Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return Of The Jedi will be released in a four disk set on September 21 of this year. No mention was made of additional footage, or the contents of the fourth disk, but more information will likely be known next week.

If that's true, then the wait until November won't be quite so long... :)

JMK
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:17:24 PM
Yeah just saw that myself. Here's the link if anyone is interested, though McBain quoted the whole story
http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml#23166

Slick marketers at Lucasfilm. Get that release out and get the buzz out for Episode 3. What are the odds that the big selling point of the box set is a sneak peak at Episode 3? ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:54:30 PM
I am sure that will be on there probably the first trailer too.

JMK
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:04:38 AM
The announcement has just been made!!!

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/news/2004/02/news20040210.html

The most requested films for the DVD format will finally become a reality this September as Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox present the eagerly-awaited Star Wars Trilogy for the ultimate home entertainment format. The four-disc collection will be released on September 21 in the U.S. and Canada, with international release dates following closely.
"We know how long fans have waited for this release and how much they have been looking forward to it, so everyone has been working overtime to make sure that the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD is an awesome experience," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing and Distribution for Lucasfilm Ltd. and the DVD collection's Executive Producer.

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi will be available in a four-disc set that includes a bonus disc filled with all-new special features -- including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the Star Wars saga and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films. Each of the three films in the Star Wars Trilogy has been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer. On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the Star Wars films in a fresh and fun way," Ward said. "We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the Star Wars Trilogy will be available exclusively as a collection and will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. Internationally, sound and subtitling specifications will vary by territory.

Keep checking starwars.com over the coming months for more specific details about the content of this must-own DVD set.

No news on the bonus stuff aside from a mention of the longest making of feature ever on Star Wars, but it's not like we couldn't have guessed that on our own.

darth_mcbain
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:47:38 AM
Oh yeah!!!

Figrin D'an
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:01:37 PM
Originally posted by JMK
What are the odds that the big selling point of the box set is a sneak peak at Episode 3? ;)

Very good, IMO. This will probably be the first opportunity to see the first teaser trailer for Episode III.

I'm happy that they'll finally be on DVD, although I'd like to see both the originals and SEs in one set. Won't happen, I'm sure. But at least DVDs are finally on the way.

JMK
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:21:24 PM
Like I was saying to Courtland on MSN, how long until we start hearing the "Lucas is a greedy pig! He's releasing them now and is releasing them again after Episode 3!" rants.

I'm guessing not long. :\

JMK
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:24:02 PM
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

The editor of thedigitalbits.com has apparently spoken to Lucasfilm about some of the specifics of the box set. Here's what he had to say:

Okay, I've just spoken with Lucasfilm's Vice President of Marketing and Distribution, Jim Ward, and I can confirm some details about the Region 1 DVD release of the Star Wars films, which will arrive in stores on September 21st. What follows is everything that's specifically set as of this time.

The release will be a 4-disc set, encompassing 3 movie discs and a 4th bonus disc of supplemental material. All three films will be digitally-remastered and THX-certified, and will be available in anamorphic widescreen video (there MAY also be a separate full frame edition, but this is still TBD). The audio for the films will be English Dolby Digital 5.1 (they may also be EX, although again this is still TBD), with subtitles in English, French and Spanish. The films will also be closed-captioned. Each film will include new audio commentary with creator George Lucas, along with various members of the cast and crew (the specific participants will be announced at a later date). The highlight of the bonus disc will be an all-new, feature-length documentary about the making of the films, which will include never-before-seen footage and other material. There may also be DVD-ROM weblinks to the official Star Wars website (TBD). There WILL be additional supplemental features, which will be announced at a later date. The films will only be available as a box set, the retail price for which has yet to be decided (despite reports to the contrary). I have officially confirmed that the films will be the 1997 Special Edition versions, as determined by Lucas himself. You should also know that, as with the Indiana Jones DVDs, the folks at Lowry Digital are once again involved in the remastering process. They're doing digital restoration and clean-up work on the new masters.

So there you have it. We expect cover art to be available in the months ahead, as the packaging is finalized. We'll keep you up to date on all the bonus material details as soon as they become available.

Kitty McQuade
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:58:02 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Live Action would be almost impossible for TV. It is too expensive to do. I would think if they do it would be animated show maybe do some animated movies based on the books (X-Wing, Thrawn Triolgy) that would be great IMO.

I disagree that it would be impossible to do. Babylon 5 and Farscape (in spite of the Sci-Fi Channel) were great series.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:22:51 AM
Finally, they will come. I also read that Lucas will have a commentary for each film. I am glad about that Indy had none so its nice to see Star Wars having them.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:57:40 AM
No originals?

Then he's not getting a cent out of me. I want originals.

JMK
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:05:41 AM
Boy what a tough spot to be in if you're Lucas. You're a creator of a hugely popular saga of movies, and you've made changes to the originals based on your definitive vision. But the people who grew up on these originals want them, but as the creator, you only want one version of your story out there so that in 50 years from now people don't argue whether Greedo shot first or if Yub Yub is the song at the end of RotJ.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:03:05 PM
I am just glad they are finally out. I actually prefer the SE so it doesn't bother me. I hated that Yub Yub song :p

AmazonBabe
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:10:40 PM
(Sorry if this is a repeat.)

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2004/02_10.html

Well, it's about time. :)

Charley
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:14:21 PM
Heh, I can't believe it wasn't posted here already. I just assumed everyone knew.

JMK
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:18:34 PM
It was posted already, it's been an ongoing thread:
http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33221

Since this is related to the SW films...it's being moved over there...

Jedieb
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:17:34 PM
I'm just glad I've got a nice boxed set of the originals. :) I'll break down and buy these SE DVD's for the 4th disc and because my son has trashed my widescreen SE's. But you know we're only a few years away from some mammoth 6 film DVD set.

Sanis Prent
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:24:35 AM
For the most part, I prefer the special edition. Only cringe-worthy part (yes, aside from Greedo shooting first) is the Jabba scene in ANH. Terrible CGI, just terrible :(

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:36:10 AM
Maybe they'll make a SE: SE: Trilogy. ;) With better CGI and JAR JAR added into ANH!!!!

:crack OMG KOOL

:x

Figrin D'an
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:46:07 AM
Greedo shooting first - Dumb.
CGI Jabba - Awful. Scene was decent (aside from Han stepping on Jabba...), just go back and fix it with the CGI Jabba we saw in TPM.
Luke scream - If you want him to scream, fine. But did you have to use the same scream from ROTJ? It sounds terrible.
Vader returning to Star Destroyer - Unnecessary, and it reused footage from ROTJ that was so painfully obvious.

The other changes I actually liked. The kid in me kind of misses the cheesy Yub-Yub song, but the new ending to ROTJ is a lot better for the entire story.

Gotta take the good with the bad, though, I suppose.

Sanis Prent
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:34:51 AM
The TPM Jabba was done pretty well, I thought. I was impressed with the job they did.

Luke scream is annoying, but bearable.

The Star Destroyer return didn't add anything, but I didn't mind it at all.

I'm glad the yub yub song is gone, actually.

darth_mcbain
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:13:06 AM
I actually prefer the SE too, though I can't stand the Greedo thing and I'm not too big on the Luke scream. I like the addition of Jabba, though, except for the "cameo" of Boba Fett - I just thought that Lucas kind of sold out on that since people love BF so much, he figured that he'd put him in for no reason other than to look cool and satisfy the fanboys. I also wish they had kept the dialogue the same and had R2 be "lucky you don't taste very good" instead of "lucky to get out of there". The original line probably scored higher on the cheesiness scale, but it was good...

I still think it kinda stinks that we're only getting the SEs, though... Thank goodness I have the originals, though those tapes are starting to wear out :grumble

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:18:27 PM
The only thing I hate about the SE's is the Greedo thing. It is more because it looks stupid, how could anybody miss that close. I wish he just get rid of it it just doesn't look right. The Jabba thing well they could update the CGI (I actually laugh at the Han walking on Jabba's tail heh) and of course I like Boba Fett being there it makes sense he be with Jabba at this point.

darth_mcbain
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:26:40 PM
Yeah, it makes sense that Boba Fett would be hanging around with Jabba around that time - I just thought it wasn't really necessary for him to be there, and it just seems like he's just window dressing to satisfy rabid fans. He just walks by and seemingly looks out at the viewers like "Yeah, I know you want to see me..." :)

But I still take the SEs over the originals...

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:34:10 PM
I also wish they had kept the dialogue the same and had R2 be "lucky you don't taste very good" instead of "lucky to get out of there". The original line probably scored higher on the cheesiness scale, but it was good..

:( My favorite line is gone forever :cry

JMK
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:10:39 PM
I don't know why they tampered with any of the dialogue for the SE's. What, they did it just because they can mess with it they will? o_O

JMK
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:41:55 PM
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/starwarsdvd/021204.html

A lot of stuff in there that we've been talking about for years. Namely the 'Ultimate Archive Editions'. Check it out. :)

darth_mcbain
Mar 9th, 2004, 05:20:19 PM
Today's IMDB Poll is:

The original Star Wars movies are coming to DVD – but only in their updated formats, not the original theatrical releases. What's your take on this? (Suggested by Jonathan B.)

I wonder if this was suggested by anyone we know... :huh

JMK
Mar 10th, 2004, 06:51:28 AM
:lol Maybe we do!

JMK
Mar 15th, 2004, 04:39:36 PM
Surprise surprise. Episode 3 preview on the DVD.
http://www.theforce.net/episode3/index.shtml#23426

I never would have guessed. ;)

darth_mcbain
Mar 15th, 2004, 04:46:41 PM
Yeah - didn't see that one coming... :) They probably won't show all that much - I'm guessing it will be a real teaser, but it will be awesome to see some footage!

JMK
Mar 21st, 2004, 12:14:13 PM
http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/member/about/news/news20040319.html

Official looks at the DVD packaging. I like it, it's classy, reminiscent of the VHS SE packaging.

ReaperFett
Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:48:21 PM
I don't like that Luke picture, always look too muscular, but I like the packaging overall.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:52:22 PM
I am going to get the Jedi one I think that one has cool packaging, though the one with Vader on it is neat too.

darth_mcbain
Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:14:57 PM
Is there any non-Hyperspace place where the images are posted?

ReaperFett
Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:49:54 PM
Yeah, but cant remember where.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:36:40 PM
I saw some of theforce.net, that is where I saw the Jedi and Vader ones, I am sure its still there.

ReaperFett
Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:45:07 PM
Aren't they the same box, two sides?

JMK
Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:31:54 PM
I think you were looking at the old ones JMC. The official packaging looks much like the gold and silver boxes that the SE's first came out in.

Check your inbox. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:14:49 PM
Got it, yeah they look cool. Why did they scrap the other ones?

JMK
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:55:30 AM
Who knows, were the first ones even official? Heck, I could have made those and said that it was the packaging.

darth_mcbain
Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:29:55 AM
I saw the ones on the OS - they opened it up for non-Hyperspace users. Both looks really cool - I can't decide whether or not to get the Vader or Luke one. I may get the Luke one, because I have the Vader cover for the VHS SE collection, but the Vader one is pretty slick too.

JMK
Apr 10th, 2004, 08:25:15 PM
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

I hope this is true......

Figrin D'an
Apr 10th, 2004, 08:54:25 PM
Originally posted by JMK
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

I hope this is true......

please please please please please please please please please please please please let this be true...

JMK
Apr 10th, 2004, 09:42:28 PM
I know how you feel. I think a lot of us feel the same thing.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 11th, 2004, 12:11:35 AM
I take both changes. I would love to see the monkey emperor out of TESB, a new CGI Jabba would be cool too.

JMK
May 19th, 2004, 08:58:20 PM
This image is a potential spoiler from the RotJ DVD, but is by no means official, so no harm in taking a peak. :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2004, 09:43:04 PM
TFN says its fake if they change the ending who knows yet. I keep hearing rumors about tickering with the Han-Greedo thing and putting the real Emperor in ESB those changes I would like especially getting rid of the monkey emperor that thing does look bad.

darth_mcbain
May 19th, 2004, 10:07:45 PM
I saw that image before, JMK. I sure hope that is fake - otherwise, why do Obi-Wan and Yoda appear just as they did at their deaths when Anakin gets to look young again . I hesitate to even put that in spoiler tags, but oh well - better safe than sorry, although I'd be surprised if that image is official.

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2004, 11:24:11 PM
Well TFN thinks its fake they didn't give a reason, but they say they have there sources.

imported_Firebird1
Jun 5th, 2004, 07:44:22 AM
I don't even see why they are making all these changes, at this point they might as well make a new EP 4,5, and 6.

Vice
Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:36:23 PM
like alote of others this was great news that star wars three was coming out. I have all the eposiods and number three is the movie to finish them off.

Syren Wyssholt
Oct 23rd, 2004, 08:51:37 AM
Um yeah, but they aren't talking about episode III in this thread. They're discussing the new release of the original triology (Episodes 4, 5, and 6) on DVD and the changes that were made in the films.