PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla... ON SPEED!

Morgan Evanar
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:35:06 AM
Many of you know I'm a big fan of the gecko rendering engine, which is Mozilla/Firebird's core.

There is another variant I discovered the other day, http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/ Kmeleon. Holy crap is it fast. It uses native windows componets (Firebird/Moz don't), so it uses less memory.

Droo
Nov 21st, 2003, 11:59:36 AM
I still can't get Mozilla to play flash stuff, tried downloading and running the appropriate files but it does bugger all.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 21st, 2003, 12:00:51 PM
Originally posted by Dru
I still can't get Mozilla to play flash stuff, tried downloading and running the appropriate files but it does bugger all.

ditto, but switch Moz for Firebird.

Droo
Nov 21st, 2003, 12:06:15 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic

I meant to say Firebird, sorry. I wonder what the problem could be. I just use Windows IE to view the flash stuff.

Pierce Tondry
Nov 21st, 2003, 12:06:36 PM
I think a good question is, does K-meleon play Flash?

Morgan Evanar
Nov 21st, 2003, 12:23:33 PM
I have no idea, because I don't like flash very much. I use mozilla for flash.

I have noticed that on a fast machine (Athlon XP/P4B/P4c with DDR/RAMBUS) that the difference between Firebird and K-meleon isn't very noticable. On a sub 1.4 GHZ machine, it's very noticeable.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:31:55 PM
Originally posted by Dru
I meant to say Firebird, sorry. I wonder what the problem could be. I just use Windows IE to view the flash stuff.

Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic

I've seen that problem. You really need to be careful you install the plugin to the correct directory of Moz / Firebird - especially Firebird. Otherwise, I tend to agree with Morgan with Flash - it's usually crap house stuff and not wirth it.

Charley
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:41:53 PM
Yeah, I had that issue with firebird as well. Utterly impossible to get the flash plugin to work.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:54:49 PM
Thats why you can install mozilla side by side ;)

Charley
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:08:27 PM
Didn't really work there either.

Raut Daksoi
Nov 21st, 2003, 04:07:18 PM
I've never had a problem with flash and mozilla O.o

But thanks, Morg, I've been trying to find a low-memory browser for a while now.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 21st, 2003, 04:08:10 PM
Yeah, Flash seems to work in Mozilla, but not in Firebird. Oh well. :)

Raut Daksoi
Nov 21st, 2003, 04:09:51 PM
One and a half minutes later

No! No, it is useless! I can't change middle-click to open a link in a new tab! Blurch! *uninstalls*

Raut Daksoi
Nov 21st, 2003, 04:11:43 PM
A further thirty seconds...

Never mind, the dodgy animations made me think it was opening a new window. Reality: new tab. *phew*

Crystal
Nov 21st, 2003, 04:18:50 PM
Someone gave me a link that had some stuff that would install in Firebird, I think flash was one of them.. but the link's broken now. :(

Darth Viscera
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:12:49 PM
I'm too used to using Firebird. melon feels too fancy, I don't want to relearn how to do everything quickly even when i'm half-asleep just yet.

Master Yoghurt
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:35:42 PM
I just use Opera 99.9% of the time because its fast, and I prefer something a bit more sophisticated than than the mozilla clones (yes, flash and most other plugins work), although I also have Firebird installed. IE is mainly used for poorly written websites.

Zatania Duvall
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:01:37 PM
For some reason my Mozilla hasnt been working for a while. It must have been something my bf downloaded cuz reinstalling it didnt work and it seems to be fine for other people.

Sejah Haversh
Dec 6th, 2003, 01:31:34 AM
I could never give up Flash becuase I can never give up Homestar Runner. The best use of Flash ever.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 6th, 2003, 02:35:32 AM
Recently, I have noted there seems to be a disticnt improvement in Flash performance in Mozilla / Firebird. Installing in firebird works really well now. Mozilla hasnt failed for me either.

Figrin D'an
Dec 6th, 2003, 11:43:34 AM
Am I the only one who has never had a problem with Flash working properly in Mozilla or Firebird?

I tried Kmeleon. It seems alright, but I'm used to Firebird and at the moment, there's not enough performance advantage to cause me to change. Maybe in later releases, it'll be something to consider.

Edit: Okay, I see there was one other person who didn't have a problem with Flash.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 6th, 2003, 11:51:09 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Am I the only one who has never had a problem with Flash working properly in Mozilla or Firebird?

I tried Kmeleon. It seems alright, but I'm used to Firebird and at the moment, there's not enough performance advantage to cause me to change. Maybe in later releases, it'll be something to consider.

Edit: Okay, I see there was one other person who didn't have a problem with Flash. Flash wo4ks fine for me in FB/Moz too. My kids play tons of Flash games on Cartoon Network dot com Barbie dot com and other sites, and Flash compatibility is essential, but they do use Firebird, which is a big step in the right direction for helping to avoid spyware. :D

One thing I did have to do before Flash would install and work was find the reg file that would fix the Firebird/Moz installation in the Windows registry since I had installed them from zip files instead of the windows installers.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 7th, 2003, 08:13:12 PM
One thing I did have to do before Flash would install and work was find the reg file that would fix the Firebird/Moz installation in the Windows registry since I had installed them from zip files instead of the windows installers.

Really? I install from zip with Firebird and had no worries getting Flash or anything else now to run. Firebird 0.7 is remarkably good for being a so called Beta. So much for Open Source being second best solutions, as Microsoft likes to protray em.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 7th, 2003, 10:26:54 PM
A lot of that is because they're taking potshots at IBM. Lately Big Blue has been screaming LINUX LINUX LINUX! for servers. I can't really argue.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 7th, 2003, 11:27:29 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
A lot of that is because they're taking potshots at IBM. Lately Big Blue has been screaming LINUX LINUX LINUX! for servers. I can't really argue.

Makes you wonder if SCO are being funded by Microsoft to continue that stupid court case.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 10th, 2003, 04:04:34 AM
Oh, note, Mozilla 1.6 beta is out.

A crap load better in beta than any frikking browser by Microsoft. And it's quicker again. Either Mozzy for the full suite or firebird for normal browsing, you have no excuse to stay on IE. Get downloading if you aint already