PDA

View Full Version : Portman as Lois Lane & other Superman news

Hart
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:34:07 PM
From Superherohype

Word reaches us that WB have more than just casting Superman on their minds. Rumour has it that one of the actresses they are looking at for Lois Lane is none other than Natalie Portman.

Portman has just finished shooting Episode III in Sydney and could find herself back there as soon as next year should the WB greenlight McG's movie. Would this be a good move for her though? Would she really want to do another high-profile blockbuster role on the back of Star Wars?

We asked her agent about this. Have WB been in talks with her about the part? They didn't deny it: "Nothing's conclusive"... What the heck does that mean!? Has she been in talks and nothing is signed and sealed!? Or are they refusing to deny it since they don't want to totally rule out the possibility of her going up for the role?

Obviously whoever plays Superman will have a lot to do with who they choose for Lois. With 20 year old Henry Cavill (who we revealed a month ago) now front runner for the Man Of Steel the WB will be looking for an actress of a similar age for his fellow co-worker/damsel in distress Miss Lane. Portman, 22, fits the bill and as we are told is one of a group of young actresses currently being considered.

Darth Viscera
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:18:42 PM
Natalie Portman does not act well often. Keira Knightley should be casted in her stead, just so long as they anchor her to the ground with a rope or something, or don't show her from the side. She's very light.

Dutchy
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:26:10 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
Natalie Portman does not act well often.

She did act well before SW, anyway. Watch Beautiful Girls and reconsider that thought. :)

Darth Viscera
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:28:23 PM
I said "does not act well" not "can't act well". I know perfectly well that she can act.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:31:52 PM
I still think her best role was in Leon: The Professional.

She is one of the worst possible choices for Lois Lane.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:34:57 PM
I will always think of Lois as being that ... woman who was her in the TV series, with Dean Cain (sp?)

Mu Satach
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:37:18 PM
Teri Hatcher (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000159/)

Dutchy
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:42:12 PM
Damn, my English sucks today. :\

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:30:56 PM
Actually you might take that back if she gets an Oscar nod for Cold Mountain (it is a possibility people who have seen has said she does the best job in years). As for Lois Lane well she is a better choice than the last candidate Kerri Russell.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:12:11 AM
Id rather have Keri Russell (Felicity! :D), than Portman. Other than 'Where the Heart Is', everything Ive seen her in sucks and thats including SW.

Anyone other NP for Lois Lane, please.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:27:37 AM
To me Keri Russel can act as good as Britteny Spears so I would rather not have her in no Superman Movie. Portman is a good actress, and I think she will prove that in the upcoming Cold Mountain, but I am not sure if she is right for Lois Lane.

Zorah Densen
Nov 21st, 2003, 11:34:14 AM
I heard over the radio yesterday - the same time I heard that Portman was being considered for Lane - that Nic Cage was being considered for the Big S himself.

Im not sure which is the worst choice. Wait, yes, I do...Cage is the worst, but Portman isnt far behind.

Droo
Nov 21st, 2003, 12:05:04 PM
Teri Hatcher...sigh.... :love

She was the perfect Lois Lane. I hope they do cast Natalie Portman as Lois Lane and bury this Superman nonsense forever. From what I've read they're turning the entire plot into a farce, following a similar trend to Catwoman.

So far, I haven't been impressed with any of the people considered for playing Superman. I'm so sad. :(

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Nov 21st, 2003, 12:08:00 PM
Noone they can find will be as good as Chris Reeves...noone :cry

Droo
Nov 21st, 2003, 12:18:54 PM
Originally posted by Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Noone they can find will be as good as Chris Reeves...noone :cry

I echo this here comment wholeheartedly.

ReaperFett
Nov 21st, 2003, 12:34:15 PM
It wont be Cage, he was the originally casted one. Now he has Ghost Rider to do, so you'd be waiting ages. The biggest name we'll see is Brendan Fraser IMO. ANd if it's him, it wont be Portman.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:02:04 PM
I hear the name getting the push now is 20 year old Cavill (sp) he is an unknown which is what I think they should go with. If they do that Portman might be the one they go after for Lane they will need a big actress to play her. Then there is Luthor not sure there maybe Gary Oldman?? There might be some other names. Also I think they can still make a good superman movie they just need to find a good director if they get that MCG guy I don't have much hope for the project regardless of who they cast in the film. Finally about the script that one that was reported on AICN is gone they have totally changed Luthor is no Alien, Krypton is destroyed, etc so who knows what exactly is the plot now.

Brielle Acaana
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:51:38 PM
I could see Brandon Fraser in the role...but I still dont know why the want to redo Superman....

...btw, I thought Margo Kidder was a terrible choice for Lois Lane.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:54:04 PM
I still think Jude Law would have made a good Superman.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 21st, 2003, 03:09:17 PM
Jude Law would be a good choice. I would like to see another Superman movie mostly because I would like to see Braniac and Darksied on screen.

Master Yoghurt
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:25:50 PM
You know, I somehow have a hard time thinking of Natalie Portman as Lois Lane. I would not be surprised if they cast her though. I have the feeling this whole project is kinda floating in the water. No one know where its going to end up.

ReaperFett
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:46:55 PM
Originally posted by Brielle Acaana
I could see Brandon Fraser in the role...but I still dont know why the want to redo Superman....
Because he is a cultural icon. It's a story that has been passed through generations for 60-80 years, and with todays technology could be far better than the Originals.

And let's be technical, there was a Superman movie BEFORE the Donner/Reeve one. Why did they redo it that time?

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:02:33 PM
I agree with you Reaper, I just hope they get a competent director. If they get the guy who did the Charlies Angels movies they must be smoking crack that guy sucks. They be better off with Michael Bay. I could do a better job directing than that MCG guy.

JMK
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:12:10 PM
Mark Walhberg as Superman! :lol

(It's not that bad, really!)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:50:54 PM
The original Lois Lane in the Reeve's movies was so annoying, sorry, but I couldn't really stand her. Teri Hatcher = teh perfect.

And I think Brendan Fraser would be an okay Man of Steel. :)

TCM'74
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:53:33 PM
Originally posted by Brielle Acaana

...btw, I thought Margo Kidder was a terrible choice for Lois Lane.

I thought Margo Kidder was fine for Lois Lane because she had just the right amount of geekiness for Donner's interpretation of the character. But Natalie Portman??? No, I can't swallow that. Her appearance is too young for the role unless it is a WB TV production. But it's not.

imported_QuiGonJ
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:55:58 PM
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2003-11/20/11.30.rumors

Natalie Portman is rumored to be the front runner to play Lois Lane in the proposed new Superman movie, Zap2it reported. The Star Wars star has been named Warner Brothers' first choice to play the feisty journalist, according to industry reports cited by Zap2it.

The site also reported a rumor that Timeline helmer Richard Donner, who directed the first Superman movie, has replaced director McG (Charlie's Angels) and production has been pushed back to 2006.

Putting Richard Donner in as the director and pushing it back means this project may have a chance after all. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:56:49 PM
Its not young if its from the beginning I like to see a young superman in his early 20's might as well start the series over that way you can make sequels. That is the one reason why I don't see Portman doing, I have a feeling she will want to do more serious stuff after Star Wars stuff that involves acting. A superhero film doesn't fit with that, IMO.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:58:16 PM
I didn't see your post Qui-Gon. I pray that rumor is true. Donner could do some good with it, IMO.

ReaperFett
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:26:47 AM
For all I care, Alan Smithee can direct with Joe Pesci as Jor-El, Rosanne Barr as Lois Lane and Snoop Doggy Dogg as Lex Luthor. I'll still have no feeling of hype for this, and I'll still go see it:)

Droo
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:45:16 AM
Brendan Fraiser would be dreadful as Superman. He'd be great for Clark Kent but he's too goofy looking to be the man of steel.

ReaperFett
Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:48:36 AM
Know who I think should direct? The Wachowskis. Neo flying was a Superman homage, note how he flies with an arm forward sometimes. The Wachowskis were comic writers, so they know their stuff. Theyve used CGI. They're a big name. Also, they were praised pre-Matrix for the movie Bound.

While not the best for the movie writing wise, commercially they would be best easily.

Donner? I wouldn't. What's he done in the last 10 years? Maverick was good, I liked Lethal Weapon 4 even though most didn't. But then you have Conspircy Theory which was dull, Assassins which was poor (Script by the Wachowskis ironically) and the unseen Timeline.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:10:11 PM
OMG I loved Conspiracy Theory! And Timeline is the next big hit. Honest. As long as they don't murder the story, 'cause the book is grrreat.

Dutchy
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:14:45 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
But then you have Conspircy Theory which was dull

And weird.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:43:34 PM
I liked Conspiracy Theory it was an good movie, but that is my opinion. I think Donner is a better choice than the horrible MCG, (he needs to go back to directing music videos). Not sure who else WB can go after, I personally don't think the Wachowskis would be a good choice, they don't seem to fit. I wish they get M. Night Schyleman (sp) but I don't see that happening.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:01:19 PM
Wait I thought they DID get M. Night Shamalayan!?

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:29:09 PM
It was just a rumor, maybe the WB execs would like to see it happen but I am not sure he is interested in doing it.

TCM'74
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:42:26 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
OMG I loved Conspiracy Theory! And Timeline is the next big hit. Honest. As long as they don't murder the story, 'cause the book is grrreat.

IMO, Timeline is going to be a stinker and I predict it will have a Hollywoody glossed-over depiction of medievel France. Timeline is Jurassic Park again bookwise. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:39:37 AM
I loved the book but I am a sucker for time travel movies.

TCM'74
Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:27:44 PM
I hated the book because Crichton used all the familiar ingredients of his previous work. I love time travel books and movies, really opens the mind to ideas. But where I think Timeline is going to fail simply because Richard Donner is doing it, not Steven Spielberg.

JMK
Jan 29th, 2004, 08:05:56 AM
Please God nooooooooooo!!!!!

http://superherohype.com/superman/index.php?id=749

So what's the latest from the Superman casting front?An anonymous source tells Superhero Hype! the scoop on what's going down at Warner Bros. for the new adaptation.

We're still hearing that McG is attached to direct the film, and now our source adds that the studio wants singer/actress Beyonce Knowles as Lois Lane and "Pirates of the Caribbean" star Johnny Depp as Lex Luthor. You read that right... Beyonce Knowles.

So BAD BAD BAD casting aside, with McG at the helm, its basically going to be a sugar coated movie with terribly mindless action like the Charlie's Angels movies?

Beyonce? :x
Depp is usually good at whatever he does, but I can't picture him as Luthor. Just bad news all around. No other way to say it.

ReaperFett
Jan 29th, 2004, 08:17:25 AM
I don't believe it one bit.

...but can see Depp as Lex :D

JMK
Jan 29th, 2004, 08:20:23 AM
You believe it's all false? No McG? No Knowles? No Depp? I hope you're right, though Mr. Knowles seems about as peeved as I am. http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=16896

ReaperFett
Jan 29th, 2004, 08:36:58 AM
Yeah, but Knowles is peeved because Selma "I'm in Hellboy, directed by Harry's good friend, so the ground I walk on is now perfect" Blair might not get picked :)

Know why I doubt this? Catwoman. Apparently, WB execs have realised just how much of a trainwreck that is. Why risk deviating? IMO, casting wont be done soon, they'll wait/see on Catwoman and Batman's buzzes.

Oh, in other news:

- Frank Oz will be directing a comic movie.

- Eminem will star in a comic movie (He hasn't signed, but trust me on this one). It fits, don't worry :)

- Green Lantern and Plastic Man have had movie website URLs bought. Don't be suprised if either appears.

JMK
Jan 29th, 2004, 08:59:01 AM
Hell I'm peeved. Blair would have been perfect if you ask me. These comic movies are coming out so fast and furious that more and more of them are becoming 'trainwrecks'. Superman can't get going, Catwoman is apparently a giant disaster, and they're considering junk like Plastic Man?

ReaperFett
Jan 29th, 2004, 09:12:17 AM
I can see potential in plastic man. Specifically, a kids movie. Imagine Pixar doing it.

The problem to me is that while Marvel give the movies out to those who want them and keep them as close to character as possible, Warner just see their DC products as ideas with names. Take Punisher. The makers found the best guy to be Frank, they trained him to the extreme and appear to be making a movie which is perfectly Punisher. If Warner did that, they'd just stick Keanu Reeves in it and change it around him.

JMK
Jan 29th, 2004, 09:18:33 AM
OK if you put it that way the Plastic Man would be a really cool PIXAR movie. But if they were trying to go live action with that...God save us all.

It really sucks that that Warner is seemingly doing the new Batman project justice while they're treating Superman like trash.

ReaperFett
Jan 29th, 2004, 09:20:29 AM
Yeah, that's wierd. It's as if the only franchise they have faith in is the last one they screwed up :)

JMK
Jan 29th, 2004, 09:28:19 AM
That's what I mean. We haven't seen a Superman movie in close to 20 years (It will be super close to 20 once the movie comes out--if it ever comes out), so why aren't they trying to make a bigger statement with that franchise? Nothing could be bigger and better than a well done Superman movie.

Darth Viscera
Jan 29th, 2004, 09:31:56 AM
Honestly, Christopher Walken should be cast as Superman. That man is a comedy genius.

ReaperFett
Jan 29th, 2004, 09:39:15 AM
True. Spider-Man is as big as Superman, maybe Superman is bigger, and they made a fairly-accurate rendition and DESTROYED the box office. And that was with a bunch of unknowns, directed by a cult director. Why can't Superman do similar?

JMK
Jan 30th, 2004, 08:28:14 AM
Take this for what it's worth, but I'll take it as very good news:
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16903

Disaster Averted! Stupidity Passes! SUPERMAN in much better shape today than yesterday!
Hey folks, Harry here... Ok, since yesterday I've been getting tons of feedback from folks in regards to the Beyonce Knowles / Lois Lane debacle. Seems that McG had decided he wanted to go with Beyonce, nothing official had been signed at that point, HOWEVER, agents of other actresses that were up for the part, their agencies, a few secretaries and assistants here and there all heard that the part was no longer available and was going to Beyonce.
THAT is no longer the case today. Today, according to a plethora of sources, the part of Lois Lane is WIDE-OPEN and the line being spread was that Beyonce was, of course, never going to be Lois Lane, but rather... ahem... that was just a really bad idea that was being floated, and... ahem... of course Warner Brothers would... ahem... never do that, because of course they respect the source material and it's long and valued history... ahem...
So, that part is still open and actresses are still trying to get that wonderful part... but not Beyonce.
In regards to Johnny Depp and Lex Luthor, I have heard no additional information one way or another. He is an incredibly talented actor that could most likely play anything under the sun, but in a million years I never would have seen him as Lex... but in a million years, I never could have imagined Capt Jack Sparrow or his Hunter S Thompson.
I will continue to keep my eye on this project... and feel free to believe or not believe as your cynical mind is likely to do... but a Pepsi Pop Tart has been rejected, let's just hope they get a damn fine actress for the role now.

Phew!!

darth_mcbain
Jan 30th, 2004, 10:20:03 AM
Thank goodness - that just would not have been good...

Pierce Tondry
Jan 30th, 2004, 12:25:52 PM
That would have been rabidly non-sensical, because she's black. I don't care how much you try to update the comic, that's just too much of a stretch.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 30th, 2004, 01:00:52 PM
She is also not an actress so I wouldn't want it anyway. I still think Depp could pull off Luthor.

Jedieb
Jan 30th, 2004, 08:15:50 PM
I remember reading a blurb about the new Supes movie when Nicholas Cage was attached to it. There was suppose to be a big fight with Doomsday to open the film. Superman dies, and then from what I remember it went downhill from there. I think they were trying to make Superman much darker than he should be. I have no idea what this script looks like. I'd like Fraiser as Superman and Depp would make a great Lex. He'd just give the character a different spin than what we've seen in the past.

I'm glad the Beyonce rumor seems to have been shot down. I just can't picture her as Lois Lane. I thought Reeves and Kidder were a great team, but Kidder always seemed a bit too long in the tooth for the part. To quote my wife whenever we watch an old Superman movie; "She's just soooo ugly!" HER WORDS, NOT MINE!

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 31st, 2004, 12:20:42 PM
I never liked Kidder as Lane she just didn't fit. I bet they go with an unknown for Superman it would be easier that way.

JMK
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:21:40 PM
Can we get no peace???

http://superherohype.com/superman/index.php?id=801

Beyoncé Confirms She's Up for Superman!

You heard it first here at Superhero Hype!, and now singer/actress Beyoncé Knowles herself has confirmed that she is up for the role of Lois Lane in McG's Superman.

She tells Extra, "I hope so. Everyone pray that happens for me." Don't believe us? Click the link and read the article or watch the video.

We also broke the news that Johnny Depp is up for the role of Lex Luthor, we'll keep you updated on that as well. Beyoncé will open Sunday night's Grammy Awards with Prince.

:verymad

ReaperFett
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:24:05 PM
You heard her guys, pray!

:lol

JMK
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:55:14 PM
I'll be praying alright, but not for her to be Lane!

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:36:44 PM
I don't think that is true, that is probably part of that old rumor. These tabloid shows usually drag them back up a week after they have been debunked. Great example the Rowan Atkinson for Voldemort rumor this one is equally ridiculous.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:18:42 PM
Here is another rumor god knows what is going on there. Bruce Willis for Luthor. I could actually buy that, he has the baldness going :p This project isn't going very smoothly so far. I think WB need to fire Peter and MCG and give the movie over to anybody. I take Chris Columbus at this point.

ReaperFett
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:29:45 PM
Willis might do a good Luthor if they play him right.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:31:54 PM
He has played some good bad guys in the past.

JMK
Feb 9th, 2004, 02:05:25 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I don't think that is true, that is probably part of that old rumor. These tabloid shows usually drag them back up a week after they have been debunked. Great example the Rowan Atkinson for Voldemort rumor this one is equally ridiculous.

The problem is that in the first mention of her being Lane, there weren't any quotes from her. Now she's confirmed that she's in the running. Unless that site is full of it.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 9th, 2004, 09:40:38 PM
I just wonder when that interview was tapped it could have been last week before the rumors were squashed for all we know. Plus I don't trust tabloid Tv shows for information and that is basically what Extra is. I think they were the same source that said Aston Kutcher was up for Batman and we know how that turned out.