PDA

View Full Version : To all you Pommys out there....

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 20th, 2003, 01:50:17 PM
May you be rucked and mauled into bloody oblivion. May Swing low, Swing Chariot be drowned out be the roar of Waltzing Matilda. May Wilkinson be splattered under the merciless might of the tight five forwards. May you line out crumble into dust.

AND MAY THE WALLABIES WIN THE WORLD CUP! CRUSH THE RED ROSE!

(Okay, I'm being highly wishful, I dont think the Aussies can do it, not with the mud pit Telstra Stadium will be tomorrow night, it's peeing down in no uncertain manner. But I can dream!)

Droo
Nov 20th, 2003, 02:07:57 PM
Oh yes, come Saturday, there will be blood spilled and tears shed - yours. I am determined to see England lay waste to the Aussies and am so psyched for it. I missed Sunday's match and made sure I'd get this week off work, starting Saturday so I don't miss the final. I don't really know anyone else who's particularly big on rugby, despite the success of our team internationally, which is a shame.

Is it a 9am start over here? I know coverage starts at 8:45am but I don't know whether or not that's when we have the kick-off.

Charley
Nov 20th, 2003, 02:10:05 PM
I think I'll be missing that one to watch the Iron Bowl

Figrin D'an
Nov 20th, 2003, 02:35:48 PM
Yeah... I've got the Old Oaken Bucket game to watch.

But, I'll wish both sides a happy blood letting. May you kill and main one another in creative and entertaining ways. :)

Kelt Simoson
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:06:51 PM
We.Will.Win

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:37:23 PM
Is it a 9am start over here? I know coverage starts at 8:45am but I don't know whether or not that's when we have the kick-off.

8 pm game start here, so what that's 11 hours back in Pommyland?

Droo
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:32:51 AM
<FONT SIZE="7">YEEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!</FONT>

Jonny Wilkinson is a God. I don't think I've ever hated another person more than I had Elton Flatley in those twenty minutes of extra time but I nearly jumped through the roof with that drop kick right at the end. Now it's time to see Martin Johnson lift the world cup! :D :cry :D :cry

Edit:

Overall, I thought it was a stunning World Cup Final, despite the toll it took on my nerves - my hand was trembling when I was holding a cup of tea at one point. And to be honest, the way the first half started out, I was suprised that Australia hadn't scored more than the one try although there was the conversion that Flatley missed, thank God. As far as England was concerned, they'd have been slaughtered if it weren't for Wilkinson's playing and of course, those two penalty kicks and the conversion kick after Robinson's try.

By half time I was pretty relaxed but then came the second half and bloody hell, what a second half! England's play in the latter half of the game was superior to the Aussies but the patterns of play were riddled with mistake after mistake. If we'd avoided those mistakes, I dare say the game would've been over by a clear win after 80 minutes. However, the Wallabies being the way they are; Australians not being the kind to pass up on even half the chance, siezed every opportunity and went for gold. The air in my living room was blue during this time and any who had chosen to sleep in on Saturday in my house were given a rude awakening. Flatley's penalty kick in the 80th minute made me want to throw my television through the window.

He did similar after Wilkinson's terrific penalty kick in the first half of extra time, when he, in something like the 17th minute, brought the teams even at 17-17 with his own penalty kick. I was truly expecting a sudden death ten minutes to follow, either that or a try for the Aussies, as England were all over the place at this point. But nay, twas not meant to be, for in the last minute of the game, Jonny Wilkinson got himself into the pocket and it was almost like poetry seeing him take the ball and make the winning drop kick to put England three points of Australia at the end of the final. At this point I turned over the footrest and had my mum roaring at me. ^_^;

Bottom line, as far as I am concerned, is that this victory has been a long time coming; England beating Australia, perhaps the world's most competitive country for sports, on their own turf for the World Cup. This is quite poetic because I am in agreeance with an article I read the other day which stated "England introduced Australia, then Australia showed us how to play them." England is Australia's mother country, true, but when it comes to sports, Australia is England's father country and as far as our rugby goes, we've started wisening up and doing things with the same passion and commitment the Australians are renowned for in sport. England is an awesome team and have grown up a lot. Australia played a blinding game but I think it's about time the son outmuscled the father to the victory and well-deserved too.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:13:34 AM
Hooray! :crack

We finally won something!

Jarek T'chort
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:34:46 PM
Whoo hoo!

Now all we have to do is get our stuff together in football and cricket. ^_^;

Kolya Van-Metzger
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:36:20 PM
swiiiing low, sweet chaaaariot, comin' for to carry me hooooome! swiiiing low, sweet chaaaariot, comin' for to carry me home!

heard the news in Petsounds with the lovely people who work there, and all three of us went sprinting out onto the green cheering.

SCOOOOORE!

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 23rd, 2003, 06:28:52 AM
After being out in the rain and mud at a rally and hail instead of watching? Had to see a replay...

That was not a good game by either side. England should have put Australia away much earlier. Australia's lineout and scrumming was bad. Greatest game ever my butt. It was pathetic. I've seen much better games, the 2001 Lions vs Aust tests were far superior.

If that was the 2001 Aust side on the field, England would have been walloped. If it was the AB's, they would have been walloped. Luckily it was a side that didn't play anywhere near what they could have, because England certainly did not.

They deserved to win. But it was not a good game to watch.

The best thing however, that I would have paid money for was the little jerk off Howard having to hand the trophy over to the Brits. Oh yes, you little peeant bastard, hope you had a foul and bitter taste in your mouth. That absolutly made my day.