PDA

View Full Version : London Mayor: "[Bush is] greatest threat to life on planet"

Darth Viscera
Nov 18th, 2003, 06:26:40 AM
By Nigel Morris, Home Affairs Correspondent

18 November 2003

Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London, launched a stinging attack on President George Bush last night, denouncing him as the "greatest threat to life on this planet that we've most probably ever seen".

His provocatively timed comments, on the eve of Mr Bush's arrival in London tonight, threaten to create severe embarrassment for the Prime Minister. They also come with talks under way on whether to re-admit Mr Livingstone to the Labour Party before his five-year exile ends.

Although he made his many differences with the Government on a range of issues clear, he reserved his strongest comments for the American President in an interview with The Ecologist magazine.

The President's three-night trip, which will culminate on Friday with a visit to the Prime Minister's Sedgefield constituency, has sparked a flood of protests from those opposed to his foreign policy. But Mr Livingstone's outburst makes him one of the most high-profile and explicit of his critics.

Mr Livingstone recalled a visit at Easter to California, where he was denounced for an attack he had made on what he called "the most corrupt and racist American administration in over 80 years". He said: "Some US journalist came up to me and said: 'How can you say this about President Bush?' Well, I think what I said then was quite mild. I actually think that Bush is the greatest threat to life on this planet that we've most probably ever seen. The policies he is initiating will doom us to extinction."

Mr Livingstone, who is holding a "peace party" for anti-war groups in City Hall tomorrow, added: "I don't formally recognise George Bush because he was not officially elected. So we are organising an alternative reception for everybody who is not George Bush."

He said he supported stronger links between European Union countries only because he wanted to see a powerful bloc emerge to rival the United States. "The American agenda is sweeping everything before it, and although it's not perfect, the EU is better on environmental issues. It's a less rapacious form of capitalism."

The Mayor said he had viewed Labour's 1997 election manifesto as a "load of old guff they'd come out with because they didn't want to upset the Daily Mail" that would rapidly be ditched. "I was amazed when it transpired that Blair had been serious," he said.

Accusing Mr Blair of suffering from a "background problem", he said: "There is nothing in his past that was radicalising. He wasn't interested in all the great student activities, the radical campaigns.

"He did not get involved in politics until the 1970s, when the high point was passed. So you have someone of the summer of '68 generation who actually wasn't part of it."

On GM foods, he said: "If the Government ignores public opinion, then civil disobedience on this issue is legitimate, as long as it's not violent.

"But the most important thing that affects a government is not peaceful protest, but fear of the ballot box.

The Mayor's comments will infuriate Downing Street at a time when No 10 is examining ways of bringing Mr Livingstone, who was expelled from the Labour Party for standing as an independent in the London mayoral elections of 2000, back into the fold.

AS THE PRESIDENT PREPARES TO VISIT SEDGEFIELD, TONY BLAIR'S CONSTITUENCY, WILL HE BE WELCOME?

Chris Lloyd, political editor of The Northern Echo: "The paper is Bush neutral and he has a right to visit but equally, the people here have a right to demonstrate. I hope he gets to see all, or at least some of those protests and I hope Mr Blair will explain what they are about because that's what friends are for. Despite Mr Bush's unpopularity, there is a frisson of excitement because nothing of this magnitude has ever happened there."

Lucy Hovvels, vice-chairwoman of Sedgefield constituency and Labour councillor in Trimdon: "I've had local people asking where they can get Union Jacks and American flags because they think it's an exciting and historic visit. I really believe Bush will get a warm welcome in Trimdon and the mood is one of excitement. We have the two most important people in the world coming to us - no one would otherwise know where Trimdon is."

Richard Wanless, co-ordinator of the 'Sedgefield Against War' protest: "The visit is a massive security risk and for those living in the area, it jeopardises our safety. No matter where he goes, there will be protests from London to the North-east to make sure he knows he is not welcome. To me, he is a war criminal that has illegal occupation of Iraq. To add to the insult, there are families here who lost their children to the war."

The Rev Martin King, rector of Sedgefield: "A lot of people here are very angry with the way the US administration is putting itself above the law. One person in my congregation said if President Bush wanted to look around the church, he would be welcome because it is a place for sinners, but he hoped his henchmen would leave their ironware at the door. His policies are very unwelcome in the region - I have not heard anyone voicing support for him."

Martin Callanan, Conservative MEP for Sedgefield: "The visit is hugely beneficial for the area. Most of the security threat to the people in Sedgefield will be represented by left-wing demonstrators. And how would we feel if our Prime Minister, whatever his political party, was treated similarly in another part of the world? It was Blair's decision to send our troops to Iraq, so those who are anti-war should not take it out on Bush."

Martin McTague, former chairman of the North-east Regional Federation of Small Businesses: "It will put Sedgefield on the map and benefit the image of the North-east. Our business community is often viewed as a backwater and this will redress some of the old stereotypes. Because this is Blair's constituency, a security risk is always there. The fact that Bush will be with him increases that risk but it is a notional increase."
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=464783

Regarding the titular quote, for once I can think of nothing witty to say, so I'll just quote something I read on the SA forums which is pretty much in line with my opinion:

Originally posted by White Phosphorus
Not in a trillion centuries could humanity come up with another exaggeration as grotesque and outrageous as this.

IMO, the statements of London's mayor are offensive, asinine and historically ignorant. It's even possible he's attention whoring to get on international TV for 15 minutes, and doesn't really mean it.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 18th, 2003, 06:56:19 AM
Simple response...

YHBT. YHL. HAND.

That guy aint worth the oxygen of further thought.

ReaperFett
Nov 18th, 2003, 08:56:31 AM
Don't worry about him, he isn't a worry. He was probably just worried about the minigun toting soldiers wandering the streets of London :)

Darth Viscera
Nov 18th, 2003, 09:16:48 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
He was probably just worried about the minigun toting soldiers wandering the streets of London :)

It's not one of the miniguns from Terminator 2, you know. It's a small gun which can be placed in the back of an SUV and used to disable oncoming suicide cars. It's not an anti-personnel weapon at all, to my understanding.

Dillin Gack
Nov 18th, 2003, 10:34:01 AM
I'm sorry but I will have to agree with this guy... Bush is a bigger threat to the world than Hitler was... But this is only my opinon.

Pierce Tondry
Nov 18th, 2003, 10:47:33 AM
How would Bush deal with this problem, d'you think?

Maybe... like this? ;) (bein' silly)

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 18th, 2003, 10:51:44 AM
I don't think he's a bigger threat than Hilter, but he is a threat. If he wasn't why would they be virtually shutting down the whole city and launching million pound security operations?

ReaperFett
Nov 18th, 2003, 10:54:35 AM
Dasq, they do this for EVERY state visit.

It's nice to see that apparently Bush is more dangerous than a man who mass murdered people just because of their ethnicity. Jeez, sometimes I wonder if they teach history of World War 2 enough at school, and here's a reason why :rolleyes

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 18th, 2003, 11:00:36 AM
Who was the last person to visit? I don't remember London being shut down before (in my lifetime... or at least as far back as I can remember)

Charley
Nov 18th, 2003, 11:08:24 AM
Originally posted by Dillin Gack
I'm sorry but I will have to agree with this guy... Bush is a bigger threat to the world than Hitler was... But this is only my opinon.

Your opinion sucks, lol.

People who say this lack both tact and perspective. Its shock politics, IMO.

ReaperFett
Nov 18th, 2003, 11:11:05 AM
They'll shut down areas sometimes, but I can't think of any. But then, he is a bit more high-risk than most. Also, generally it wouldn't be in the news, so we wouldn't know. Anyone who visits will end up doing some things. Hell, do you realise how much police manpower and public money was wasted on a man sitting in a seethrough box?

Darth Viscera
Nov 18th, 2003, 11:33:36 AM
bush is worse than hitler
kthxbye

Dillin, reality. Reality, Dillin.

ReaperFett
Nov 18th, 2003, 11:50:23 AM
43% of Britains in a recent poll in London welcomed Bush
36% didn't

So, the majority in the area welcome him. Major Newt doesn't, but who cares :)

JediBoricua
Nov 18th, 2003, 11:56:09 AM
:lol Visc.

I'm no Bush lover, but yeah this is shock politics...

He's not peace greatest asset, but c'mon let's be reasonable here. I don't think he's evil, just being controlled by higher powers (big business and special interests) in matters of intl. policy and the war on terrorism itself.

Still I wouldn't just dismiss this statement, after all the man is the mayor of one of the most important cities in the world, and must have his audience.

Massive protests are expected, and this will only help too make them worse, IMO.

Pierce Tondry
Nov 18th, 2003, 12:23:28 PM
Everybody has an audience. What's important is who it consists of. Mr. Mayor simply is part of the ticked and opinionated minority.

Charley
Nov 18th, 2003, 12:57:49 PM
I doubt its even that. What's Bush's approval rating in London itself?

He's probably seeking to pander to his constituency, and doesn't understand the word "subtle".

And I hear that a mayor of DC once had a crack smoking problem. Funny that.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 18th, 2003, 03:21:39 PM

Go back under the bridge, troll.

Tear
Nov 18th, 2003, 03:53:14 PM
Alright gotta give my two cents..

Frankly being Canadian we have a natural tedency to act as rivals to the U.S (we own you at hockey) anyway..

MY brother would walk in talking about how much bush sucks and my dad too and i would ask why? Could they give me a concrete answer? no they just babble about all the death thats happening because of him..

because of him? right.. like her ordered osama to bomb the twin towers..

In my opinion most of you bush haters sit back in your cozy homes and ramble on about how much he sucks but the truth of the matter is if it wasnt for bush you might not have that luxury some crazy bomber might fly a 747 down into your yard. Then what? scream and shout how nothing was done to prevent it? Maybe you should have thanked bush for going into afganistan and taking out Al'queda(i have no idea how to spell that properly)
and then going into Iraq to take out another known Terrorist.

I dont like the death and destruction going on anymore then anyone else. The pointless violence an dloss of life is a horrific thing but the truth of the matter is most of us are probably safer because of Bush.

ReaperFett
Nov 18th, 2003, 04:30:16 PM
BTW Jenny, apparently the police closed more of London down four years ago. This time they're using "rolling road blocks" instead of so many exclusion zones though.

Dutchy
Nov 18th, 2003, 04:42:10 PM
Originally posted by Tear
Maybe you should have thanked bush for going into afganistan and taking out Al'queda(i have no idea how to spell that properly)
and then going into Iraq to take out another known Terrorist.

He took those out for a dinner? He didn't exactly eliminate those, yet.

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 18th, 2003, 06:28:54 PM
Al-Queda doesn't much exist anymore. If not irradicated, they're at least shattered.

Tear
Nov 18th, 2003, 06:44:39 PM
No im not saying that at all..but he did do something about it. He took out their base of operations. Yeah they are still around and can act without a main base like they had.

But they arent what they used to be. Untouched, unhunted etc. Bush scattered em.

Im not saying oh thank you bush you've saved us all! But some things he has done have been helpful and good intentioned.

And thats the last im speaking on this topic:p

AmazonBabe
Nov 18th, 2003, 07:14:32 PM
The way I see it... you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I think most ppl are just spoiled and have forgotten that what is done is done with them in mind.

Has anyone ever thought of what might have happend if Bush didn't retaliate after 9/11? Would you really want to be living in that world? Yes, one of the "alternate reality" scenarios would be peace, but the rest would always end up with war or a form of war. *Is reminded of that one ST:TNG episode where Worf got stuck in these alternating realities.

I for one am satisfied with the way things have turned out and are going. No, I am not saying I am happy about the death and destruction. But sometimes that's the way the ball rolls. It's called life.

Never in this life will there be perfection, so it's best not to look for it, or you'll be sorely disappointed.

And I so forgot where I was going with this and my brain just fizzled out so I'll shut up for now.

Oh, on a closing note... Tear, your viewpoint is about on par with mine. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 18th, 2003, 07:47:59 PM
Originally posted by Akrabbim
Al-Queda doesn't much exist anymore. If not irradicated, they're at least shattered.

Well, I dunno about that. Bombings in Bali, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan....... They are still clearly active

Charley
Nov 18th, 2003, 10:33:46 PM
I wouldn't say they've been eradicated, but I would say that their infrastructure has been heavily disrupted.

Darth Viscera
Nov 19th, 2003, 11:21:41 AM
Good news in the form of a poll.

Protests begin but majority backs Bush visit as support for war surges (The Guardian) (http://politics.guardian.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12956,1087545,00.html)

Alan Travis and David Gow
Tuesday November 18, 2003
The Guardian

A majority of Labour voters welcome President George Bush's state visit to Britain which starts today, according to November's Guardian/ICM opinion poll.

The survey shows that public opinion in Britain is overwhelmingly pro-American with 62% of voters believing that the US is "generally speaking a force for good, not evil, in the world". It explodes the conventional political wisdom at Westminster that Mr Bush's visit will prove damaging to Tony Blair. Only 15% of British voters agree with the idea that America is the "evil empire" in the world.

Mr Blair insisted last night that he had made the right decision in inviting Mr Bush to Britain as an unprecedented security operation got under way to prepare for his arrival today. More than 14,000 police officers at a cost of £5m will be on duty during the four-day visit, with tens of thousands of anti-war protesters expected to take to the streets.

The ICM poll also uncovers a surge in pro-war sentiment in the past two months as suicide bombers have stepped up their attacks on western targets and troops in Iraq. Opposition to the war has slumped by 12 points since September to only 41% of all voters. At the same time those who believe the war was justified has jumped 9 points to 47% of voters.

This swing in the mood of British voters is echoed in the poll's finding that two-thirds of voters believe British and American troops should not pull out of Iraq now but instead stay until the situation is "more stable".

It also may explain the beginnings of a recovery in Tony Blair's personal ratings in this month's Guardian poll. He still remains an unpopular prime minister with 52% unhappy with the job he is doing, compared with 40% who say they are satisfied with his performance. But the prime minister's net popularity rating of minus 12 points is a significant improvement over last month's net rating of minus 18 points.

The detailed results of the poll show that more people - 43% - say they welcome George Bush's arrival in Britain than the 36% who say they would prefer he did not come.

Labour voters are more enthusiastic about the visit than Tory voters. But it is only Liberal Democrats who are marginally more unhappy about his arrival, with 43% against and 39% willing to welcome him. A majority of "twentysomethings" welcome Mr Bush. Hostility is strongest amongst the over-65s. There is a clear gender gap in attitudes with a majority of men - 51% - welcoming the president's arrival, compared with only 35% of women.

Pro-Americanism, as might be expected, is strongest among Tory voters with 71% saying the US is a force for good. But it is nearly matched by the 66% of Labour voters who say the US is a force for good. Anti-Americanism is strongest among Liberal Democrat voters but is still only shared by 24% of them and the majority see the US as the "good guys".

Mr Blair told the CBI national conference in Birmingham yesterday of his support for the war on terrorism, saying: "Now is not the time to waver but see it through."

In unscripted remarks, he said the weekend terrorist bombings in Turkey, the recent attacks in Saudi Arabia and continuing bombings in Iraq, meant Britain should "stand firm with the United States of America in defeating terrorism wherever it is and delivering us safely from what I genuinely believe is the security threat of the 21st century".

But Mr Blair made plain he completely backed the EU's stance against the US over illegal tariffs on steel imports, insisting that Washington must now respond to the World Trade Organisation ruling: "There will be from time to time these disagreements on issues to do with trade and we must stick very firmly to our position."

The prime minister also reaffirmed his vision of Britain as a bridge between the US and Europe.

"I firmly believe we have two big foreign policy pillars, the US alliance and our position in the EU. There's absolutely no reason to yield up either and we will not," he said to loud applause.

· ICM interviewed a random sample of 1,002 adults aged 18 and over by telephone between November 14-16, 2003. Interviews were conducted across the country and the results have been weighted to the profile of all adults.

So that means that there are 51,080,450 people, 2 dogs and 1 cat in Britain who do not think that America is the evil empire in the world.

:thumbup hot dang, that's good enough for me!

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 19th, 2003, 11:49:26 AM
I think it's really interesting to get the perspective of other nations on Americans and our leadership. There seems to be a concentrated effort of all the media to present Bush as both the smartest evil military genius of all time as well as complete idiot. Somehow, I doubt either is correct.

The liberal media here is so hard up to find something that discredits Bush (or any strong Republican) that they will stop at nothing to twist his words and show only horror stories, all the while mumbling under their breath, "Well, we deserved 9/11, you know. Us and our interfering ways..."

It's total crap. Half the country still believes in Bush, and strangely enough, it's the same half that elected him. (http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/12/brooks.htm)

Charley
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:23:28 PM
Even those who didn't vote for him (me) think he's doing a satisfactory job on most things.

I'm not saying I'll vote for him this next time, but I am keeping my options open.

ReaperFett
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:44:34 PM
Visc, I said that earlier ;)

Darth Viscera
Nov 19th, 2003, 03:05:36 PM
Visc, I said that earlier ;)

Then consider my post to have expounded on yours. Everybody wins, everybody's happy.

Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian
(http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/12/brooks.htm)

hoooommme! Why does everyone keep mentioning Mongtomery County? He was largely referring to Bethesda, though. Gotta hate that place. If I want Gotham City I'll take New Orleans or Washington D.C., thx very much.

Dutchy
Nov 20th, 2003, 12:52:56 PM
Originally posted by Akrabbim

Speaking of shattered... today an Al-Queda-related group killed close to 30 people in Turkey. http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=World&cat=Turkey

Jedieb
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:04:12 PM
Bush a greater evil than Hitler?! That's a bit of a stretch. I'd put him up there with Godzilla or Roseanne Barr, but not Hitler.

Darth Viscera
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:55:16 AM
^
LOL

Seems like the riot tourists in London kinda fizzled out after Turkey was bombed. Maybe they do have some shame.

ReaperFett
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:29:07 AM
Visc, the British only do riots for anti-capitalist marches :)

JediBoricua
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:22:19 AM
And soccer games. ;)

ReaperFett
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:36:50 AM
Not as much as North Americans would like to think :)

Oh, and UEFA, who have something against England. Germany and France(IIRC) riot, nothing said. England riot WHEN THE TUNISIAN SUPPORTERS ARE THROWING STUFF FROM BEHIND THE POLICE INTO THE ENGLISH, and we risk getting thrown out :rolleyes

And let's not forget how they do nothing to the Italians when they are launchingf projectiles into the Welsh fans below them.

JediBoricua
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:43:58 AM
I know, I know.

And in Latin American leagues it's very normal to see futbol fields surrounded by fences and barb wires.

Anyway let's stop this now, because all we are doing is givng JMK more reasons to hate futbol!

Darth Viscera
Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:16:46 PM
Visc, the British only do riots for anti-capitalist marches :)

Are you honestly trying to say that not one peace activist threw a molotov cocktail at a police cruiser or hit a bystander on the head with a baseball bat disguised as a sign holder, or tipped over a vehicle while the occupants were still inside?

ReaperFett
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:05:00 PM
Yes, no British were involved. It was infiltrators if it happened ;)

Darth Viscera
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:36:38 PM
Well, be glad that you don't live near Fidel Castro.