PDA

View Full Version : Questions about an RP

James Prent
Nov 17th, 2003, 08:13:50 PM
As some of you may know, my master Salemn Lysce has been MIA for almost a year now, apart from the occasional single post. I've been benefitting from some training threads from other posters (Dasquian, Marcus and Figrin, thank you so much!), and am now taking on the task of RPing the construction of James' lightsaber.

Since I dont' have any official training to do with my master, Salemn, I'm hoping to get some valuable experience for my character through this task. So, here's my question:

The crystals needed for the lightsaber, would I have to travel somewhere to find one, and if so, where? Or would there just be a cache of them in the Order's 'vault,' and all I need to do is ask for one?

Pierce Tondry
Nov 17th, 2003, 09:08:05 PM
Lightsaber crystals can be created, and it's likely this knowledge would be among the Order's archives. There are also places that the crystals form naturally, and that information's probably public too.

Edit: Yavin IV is a good spot, FYI.

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 17th, 2003, 11:52:22 PM
According to KOTOR on X-Box, Dantooine is enchanted with crystals and so are some places on the dangerous Korriban.

I was thinking that, too--wouldn't the Order have crystals? I mean, sure, to send someone on a quest to find them is a pretty good test, but there are many sabers created for all kinds of purposes. I don't think it'd be too far of a stretch to assume that you can get some from the Order. Like in Ep II, when they rescue Obi-Wan and Anakin on Geonosis, they throw them two 'basic' looking lighstabers. I figure the Order probably has some sort of stash.

Figrin D'an
Nov 18th, 2003, 12:09:28 AM
It's been my understanding that there are artificial crystals (ie. man-made), and there are are naturally grown crystals in certain places. There's at least one planet I remember reading about (EU) that was famous for caverns containing such crystals, but the name escapes me at the moment.

I guess it kind of depends upon how you want to handle your own personal sabre. The Order would likely have crystals on hand, although perhaps more of the artificial variety than the natural kind.

*shrugs*

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 18th, 2003, 02:52:02 AM
There's at least one planet I remember reading about (EU) that was famous for caverns containing such crystals, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Ilum.

I just started a thread to take two of my Padawans there. If I'd known sooner ... >_<

James Prent
Nov 18th, 2003, 01:25:49 PM
I think I'll take her off planet to find some. James hasn't gone off planet before, except for the one RP with Figrin, The Garden Of (with Eden...get it? the garden of eden? :p) so it'll be a gran adventure.

Except I need help to do that. Help plz :D

Falcon Gyndar
Nov 18th, 2003, 06:21:20 PM
Originally posted by Terran Starek
According to KOTOR on X-Box, Dantooine is enchanted with crystals and so are some places on the dangerous Korriban.

Hey, I used to have an RP character quite a while back that was from Korriban...

Zeke
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:39:22 AM
Originally posted by James Prent
I think I'll take her off planet to find some. James hasn't gone off planet before, except for the one RP with Figrin, The Garden Of (with Eden...get it? the garden of eden? :p) so it'll be a gran adventure.

Except I need help to do that. Help plz :D

I have transport, a Knight, a garou, and two busy-bodied ship captains that can help.

Chaos Alexander
Nov 19th, 2003, 09:10:53 AM
In 'I Jedi' the dude made a saber out of a speeder throddle and a every day gem out of a cup some thieves stole. He even made it dual bladed. So I would think that you could use evey day ones...

PS. I would like to join you if you don't mind. I want to start RPin' more but am havin' trouble findin' people to RP with. PM if you don't mind please.

James Prent
Nov 19th, 2003, 05:51:26 PM
Yeah I'd rather not have to go off planet, because I'd have to think up some other reason to leave, and then find the gems on the way by accident or something...

Chaos I'll try to keep you informed if I think of anything. You may just want to check back in t his thread however. :)

Alpha
Nov 19th, 2003, 09:22:28 PM
Chaos~But you can't have flawed gems. Corran, in I, Jedi, found that out when his diamond that was part of the second-phase of his sabre melted on him. All things considered, not something a Jedi would want to happen to him/her when they're fighting...

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 20th, 2003, 08:08:08 AM
And in one of the "Young Jedi Knights" books (which are incidentally piles of crap, but anyways...), some poor padawan's saber mafunctions and she gets her arm sliced off because the crystals were faulty. :lol

Her name escape me at the moment.

Good luck with your RP!

Pierce Tondry
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:45:48 AM
Tenel Ka is the name you're looking for, I think.

Also, the information about Corran's lightsaber is correct. He later had to replace the gem with a different one.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:34:41 AM
Thank you, Tenel Ka is exactly the name I'm looking for. I believe she's the daughter of a Dathomiri Witch and Prince Isolder, heir to the Empire of Hapan.

Her crystals, which I believe were retrieved from one of the Yavin IV Lava Tubes, did not fit correctly into her lightsaber. Due to the strange nature of the casing (a Rancor tooth), I can only assume a number of other components weren't fitted correctly either.

So, here's the moral of the story: unless you like prosthetic limbs, take the time to make a good saber...the first time! :lol

Pierce Tondry
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:54:52 AM
Tenel Ka chose not to wear a prosthetic, in case you're under that impression.

Chaos Alexander
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:26:44 PM
She liked the whole stumpy thing. In The New jedi Order she even wore ribbens off of it and stuff. Strange girl........I always felt Jacen shoudl have gone for her.....

James Prent
Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:05:16 PM
So... technically I could use any non-flawed gem?

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 23rd, 2003, 02:12:54 PM
I thought the only naturally occuring crystals a Jedi used in their lightsabers were Ilum crystals from a planet of the same name. These are also known as Agedan cystals and are the crystals Loki is never found without.

Synthetic crystals are those used by Darksiders and create a red blade as opposed to a blue or green blade. These artificial crystals are stronger but can be faulty.

Pierce Tondry
Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:42:42 PM
That's not entirely true. It's the effect of the Dark Side on the crystal, real or synthetic, that causes it to resonate red and provide greater blade strength. Red blades can potentially "break" another lightsaber blade in battle.

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 23rd, 2003, 07:18:48 PM
The Episode 2 Visual Encyclopedia just said that "The Sith use synthetic lightsaber crystals which generate a stronger blade when energized by the Dark Side of the Force." This I don't particularly like, the idea that the Dark Side makes a lightsaber stronger is a bit too "meh" for me. But what you say is true, I just don't like it. :mneh

Hayes Muirso
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:22:30 AM
If anyone goes crystal hunting, please take me with you :uhoh

Pierce Tondry
Nov 24th, 2003, 01:24:23 PM
Loki: Power over endurance is in keeping with the Dark Side mentality, though. However strong a blade may be, it is only as good as its wielder.

Anybody else notice that the Dark Side puts its faith in strong tools, while the Light Side puts its faith in strong people?

James Prent
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:56:20 PM
Originally posted by Loki Ahmrah

Synthetic crystals are those used by Darksiders and create a red blade as opposed to a blue or green blade. These artificial crystals are stronger but can be faulty.

Er, what about Mace Windu's purple blade?

Hayes, Chaos...perhaps we can figure out some way to get us to Ilum then..?

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 24th, 2003, 07:27:00 PM
Er, what about Mace Windu's purple blade?

Basically, that's Sam Jackson's will and it was done - because he wanted to be awkward. Lightsaber colour really isn't an issue though.

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 24th, 2003, 07:46:11 PM
Just so y'all know: Ryla has knowledge of Saber construction, and can get into the archives to find it for you. :)

Chaos Alexander
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:23:43 PM
Alexander doesn't have a ship right now because he gets Space sick really bad.....but I am sure the GJO has ships or something for it's members to use IC wise.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:50:11 AM
According to KOTOR (which is not the final word, obviously), blade color is not determined by your Force affiliation. This was explained by determining that the crystal decided what color your blade became. This is why many of the Lightside Jedi used red or "dark" weapons, while some of the more powerful Dark Jedi used blue and green sabers.

Of course, this may just be an excuse for the player to be able to choose from more than 2 colors when they create their blade. But Loki is right, color is not really much of an issue.

James Prent
Nov 26th, 2003, 01:19:40 AM
OKay, but who would let three "untrained" padawans loose to look for Agedan crystals?

If, perhaps, James were given her own mission, much like Anakin was while still a padawan...

Figrin D'an
Nov 26th, 2003, 01:43:45 AM
OKay, but who would let three "untrained" padawans loose to look for Agedan crystals?

If, perhaps, James were given her own mission, much like Anakin was while still a padawan...

If we give you the keys to a ship, do you promise to bring it back in one piece? ;)

James Prent
Nov 26th, 2003, 12:54:09 PM
:uhoh

Well, if you send someone who can pilot it.... even a droid would do. James doesn't know how to fly anything bigger than a speeder. :)

Chaos Alexander
Nov 26th, 2003, 09:30:34 PM
That would work for me. Alexander can fly them.....just gets sick.

James Prent
Nov 28th, 2003, 07:27:13 PM
An air-sick pilot? :lol