PDA

View Full Version : Making Amends (Sejah)

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:44:22 AM
The brown satchel skipped on his side with his movements, falling into an annoying rythym against his hip as he walked. He adjusted the bag over to a better spot and continued, nervously chewing his lip as he neared the garage of the GJO. He had to meet with someone, and that someone would be found at this time of day under a certain vehicle that he did adore.

Two fuzzy feet packed into a pair of coverall pants jutted out from underneath a neatly waxed, black vehicle the likes of which Terran had never quite gotten used to. It was a marvelous device, if archaic, and it reminded him of some of the older technologies of Gias. At this point, however, it brought a small dip to his stomach. The last time he had either seen this car or its owner had been a pretty bad time for the Jedi, and he ached remembering it. Still, like Master Russard had said, he could not move forward until he was able to make amends with his friend.

"Ahem," Terran cleared his throat politely, trying to get the attention of Sejah subtely. Words were hard to come by in this moment of shame and fear for the condition he might be received in, and he tried to put the first actual gretting into Sejah's hands. . .err, paws. Unfortunately, engulfed in his own work and the sounds of the garage, Sejah did not notice his small announcement, and so he had to try again.

"Sejah?" His voice was a bit louder this time, but it was still lackluster and quieted by Terran's emotions. Hopefully, the mongoose would hear him.

Sejah Haversh
Nov 16th, 2003, 05:57:42 AM
For all the time Sejah had spent depending on his walking frame while his legs were out of comission, he couldn't even dream of driving his car. The fine motor skills it took to work the gas, brake and clutch were beyond the device's capability. But, a few days previous he had been in an argument with Dasquain, and it led to a series of events that put him back in the hospital momentarily, but gave him back control, and feeling, in his legs again.

During those few months he had spent reying on the machine, his Flagline sat, idle and unused. Knowing enough about basic mechanics, Sejah knew that he would have to bleed the fuel line to clear out stagnant gasoline, and also check the brakes as well as charge the battery. As Terran approached, he was just finishing tightening the fuel line, and he looked down to see Terran's boots.

Not suprisingly, Sejah couldn't tell who it was just from a person's footwear, so he pushed himself out from underneath the jacked-up car on his mechanic's crawler. The sight of Terran suprised him, to say the least, and he was quick to sit up, and reach for the cane he needed to use to get to a stand. There was little humor on Sejah's face as he backed up a step and looked his one-time friend over. "Hello," he said flatly. "What brings you back here?"

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:58:39 PM
"Hi," he answered nervously. The initial feeling was one of akwardness, and it mostly came from Terran. Sejah--sometimes difficult to read anyway--spoke without emotion and maintained a pretty straight poker face. He wasn't happy to see Terran, but on the other hand he wasn't unreceptive either. Terran gulped as he tried to answer the mongoose's question.

"Yeah, I know, I. . ." He struggled for words. What brings you back here? It wasn't exactly a 'Hey good to see you' or 'Thanks for putting me in the hospital.' No, it wasn't that decisive. That's what Terran feared the most--not knowing exactly how the other felt. Terran wore his emotions on his sleeve: shame and embarassment.

"Look, I don't know if you really want to see me again, and I understand. I mean. . .what happened. . .it's unforgivable." Terran's head dropped a bit as he sighed heavily. How'n the hell did a guy apologize for brutally assaulting one of his best friends? "I was a total idiot, Sejah. I was messed up and it was stupid and foolish and immature and. . .frell, I'm sorry." He sighed big, pushing the air out of his mouth and puffing his cheeks as he did so.

Sejah Haversh
Nov 17th, 2003, 01:37:39 AM
"You nearly killed me," Sejah said in reply, still giving little room for Terran to stand on. "And you would have if it hadn't been for Quay and Kanjii."

The mongoose leaned heavily on his wooden cane as he sighed and said, "Terran, you can't expect thigns to go back to how they were. You were my friend, yes, but that's a trust you're going to have to work on again. I tried to stop you from hurting yourself, and you tried to kill me. That's not something I can easily forgive, and even harder to forget. Still, I'm glad to see you are safe. Did you just get back?"

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 17th, 2003, 09:57:56 AM
Terran bore a heavy heart as Sejah speak, realizing how much he wished he could take back everything. But he couldn't, and Sejah was right. It was going to take time. It was going to take trust and friendship and the grace of the Force to regain the same relationship he once had with the mongoose.

"I understand, Sejah," Terran replied after his friend had finished. "And that's one of the reasons why I came back to see you. I wanted to thank you. In retrospect, what you did for me back there. . .it meant a lot. You risked your neck for me, and I am ever grateful of that." Enough, he thought. He wasn't trying to win Sejah's trust back with mere words, but he did want to make it clear that Sejah's actions meant a great deal to him. No one else would've done the same thing--no one.

"It's been a few months now, I imagine." Terran began again. "I've sorta lost track of time, really. I got back and did a bit of traveling, and now I'm here again. How about you?" Terran realized this was a stupid question, considering the cane Sejah was supporting himself on and the news Terran had recieved that Sejah had been in a coma. Better than dead--but not by a whole lot.

"I mean, how's life?" Terran tried to fix the statement a bit. "I've heard that you've been doind some training under a new Master?"

Sejah Haversh
Nov 18th, 2003, 02:37:40 AM
In the back of his mind, Sejah wanted to forgive Terran, but it wasn't easy. Adjusting this grip on his cane, the mongoose replied, "Yeah, Master D'an. It's nice, he's actually around and stuff. Other than that, not been doing too much. Hadn't been able to, you know."

With a sigh, the brown mongoose looked back at his car and said, "It took me three days to get her cleaned up from the mess we made down here. Haven't been able to drive her since, I was just about to test her out. If you want to come along, that's fine, I'll need to change first, though." He tugged at his coveralls, and then ticked his head at the pair of trousers hanging from a tool peg on the wall. Nobody used the garage on the street level except for Sejah. Nobody else had a car, so it was his home away from home. The small collection of empty snack cake wrappers and Nehi bottles in the trash can were evidence enough of that.

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 18th, 2003, 03:14:19 PM
"I'd like that," Terran replied, a weak smile across his lips. Maybe a little time away from this place for the two of them would do some good. Mostly, Terran just wanted to spend time with his friend. Terran was very perceptive, and he could tell that Sejah had some mixed emotions. It was of course understood, given the events that had transpired. But Terran wanted to make things right. It would probably take some time.

There was no better time to start than today.

"I can wait--I've got all day." He smiled again, this time letting his eyes wander around the garage. It had some minor repairs applied to it--the two had torn down a support or two when it became violent in their last get together. Luckily, there was plenty of craftsmanship to be had around this place. It had been replaced, and some of the holes looked good as new. Some reminded him of what happened.

"Looks like you've been spedning quite a bit of time down here," Terran spoke, noticing all of the wrappers. He also noted a pillow and blanket stuffed messily into one of the shelves, as if it had been pulled out and used recently. "Everything ok at your room? With Dasquian?"

Sejah Haversh
Nov 19th, 2003, 03:41:57 AM
Sejah wiped his paws off on a cleanign towel after reaching the wall, then hung up his cane on a hook and unzipped the front of his coveralls. "We've been a little at odds, you could say," he said, stepping out of them, a wrapping of linen bandage tightly wound around his right leg at the mid thigh visible under the hem of his boxers. He quickly stepped into his regular pants, though stepping lightly when he had to balance on his right leg.

When he was fully dressed again, he shrugged his shoulders and made his way back to the car with the aid of his cane. Terran apparently wanted to know more, and so he begrudgingly explained. "We had a fight, and I ended up with a knife in my leg. He didn't do it, though, it was my fault. The pain woke my legs back up, and made them work again. We haven't quite patched things up since. Now, hop in, and buckle up."

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 19th, 2003, 04:19:56 PM
In a world of speeders and other repulsorlift vehicles, Terran never quite understood Sejah's love of wheeled vehicles. He remembered once asking him, and had found that they reminded him off technology he was used to or something along those lines. Still, running his hand along the sleek body of the machine before him, Terran could understand where the infatuation came from. It felt. . .powerful and free. With Sejah's rather oppressed past, it was no wonder why he enjoyed them.

"You got it," he replied, opening the door to the vehicle and plopping down in the seat before him. It was comfortable--a bit more than some of the speeders he'd ridden in--and it seemed to hug his body. Reaching to his shoulder, he pulled down the shoulder strap, buckling it tightly into clasp.

"This is nice, Sejah," he said. Come to think of it--he'd never sat in the beast before. Many times, he'd found the mongoose tinkering with the car, but it wasn't till now he'd experienced the interior.

"How does this thing handle out there?" Terran pointed and smiled to the road before them.

Sejah Haversh
Nov 19th, 2003, 05:59:44 PM
Sejah dropped down into his own seat and buckled up, inserting the key into the igniton and turning it before pressing the garage door open button on his remote. The road before them was nearly empty,a s few pwople still used ground-based transportation. With the press of the car's igniton button, the Flagline's mammoth engine roared to life then rumbled, shaking the car as Terran asked his question.

Cranking the shifter down into first gear and releasing the emergency brake, Sejah replied, "You're about to find out." His footpaw came up off the clutch as his other went down on the gas, and the car's four tires squealed before it lurched from a standstill to launch itself out the garage door, then peeled out again as he whipped it around the tight corner before droppign it into second gear and ramming the gas pedal to the floor.

There was a reason the Krarr Flagline was one of the most coveted cars on Nehantish. It was raw power, and handled like a dream. Sejah had his vision set on the nearly empty road before them and kept accelerating, shifting as he needed to. The black automobile hurtled through the city streets, not needing to bother with stoplights and turn signals like he did back home. Several times he came close to losing conmtrol in a corner, or swept dangerously near to another vehicle, but it was apparent that he was enjoying it, and perhaps going tout of his way to make the ride uncomfortably dangerous for Terran. The Flagline had few safety features, and if they were to crash there would be little chance of either of them surviving. Finally, Sejah broke the silence and said over the roar of the engine, "So how do you like it, Terran? Fast enough for you?" With that, he put on an extra turn of speed.

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 19th, 2003, 07:12:09 PM
"Yeah, I believe it's rather. . .pleasant!" Terran rasied his voice nervously over the roar of what was one powerful piece of engine. The Jedi clutched the handgrip above the door of the vehicle tightly, his white nuckles outlined in red as he squeezed for dear life. Though he wasn't exactly a stranger to speed, he wasn't entirely comfortable with it either. It was used when necessary, and this was definitely turning more into a thrill ride than a simple drive.

"This is plenty, plenty fast enough!" As the car lurched with even more speed, Terran could detect a half-way sadistic grin on the mongoose's face. Sejah had put quite a bit of work into beefing up the engine, and seemed to have little difficulty whipping the roaring monster around the numerous corners of the streets they buzzed down. Maybe, just maybe, Terran thought, it was a tiny taste of revenge. The wind whipped through his hair as it came in through the open window, causing him to close his eyes as it was so harsh against his face.

He imagined this was a good release for Sejah, who'd been cooped up because of his injury for some time now. The speed, the sound, the open road--it was exhilerating. Perhaps a bit to exhilerating for the generally mild Terran. He felt his stomach twist at another sharp turn, his face shifting to a pale green.

"Maybe a pit stop is in order?" Terran suggested, his head racing. He laid it back against the headrest, closing his eyes. I think I'm going to be sick, he thought.

Sejah Haversh
Nov 19th, 2003, 09:12:06 PM
Sejah ripped back on the emergency brake while ramming down on the brake pedal as well, sending the car to a screeching halt, turning to a stop perpindicular to the road's direction. "If you;re going to throw up, get out," he said, though there was some humor in his voice that time.

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 19th, 2003, 09:39:34 PM
Sejah didn't have to say it twice as Terran nearly rolled out of his seat, leaning on the door as he made his way to the side of the road as quickly as possible. It only took a few seconds for the blood to rush to his head as Sejah could hear an awful sound coming from the Jedi.

"Bllleeeaaaaaaaghhhhhh!" Losing the dewback and cheese sandwich he'd eaten at Yog's for lunch, the Jedi doubled over, giving himself a few good heaves. Though it wasn't exactly a fun task, Terran couldn't help but see the humor as he could hear Sejah laughing behind him. He grinned inbetween spews as he propped his upper body up on his knees, keeping his head away from the rest of his clothing.

"It's a nice machine, Sej," Terran replied, pulling back for a second for another heave-ho. It hadn't left a pleasant taste in his mouth, and Terran could think of nothing better than something to drink.

"Whaddya say we hit up somewhere to drink? It's on me." Literally, he thought, noticing a bit of a mess on his pants. He'd have to get that dry cleaned.

Sejah Haversh
Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:36:39 AM
Inside, Sejah felt a little guilty for making Terran sick, but his desire for retribution outweighed his concern. When he made sure that Terran was clean enough to sit on the car's seat before ensuring that his "friend" buckled his seat belt. Once it clicked, Sejah dropped the car into gear and slammed on the gas. All four tires spun before gripping and launching the car off once more, though that time Sejah went slower, not wishign for Terran to throw up again, particularly inside the car.

"I know a good place down this way. Found it a few months back," Sejah said, nodding his head in the direction they were going. "Good burgers, hand-made, you know. Not a bad secetion of taps, either."

That was about all the conversationt hat passed before the mongoose pulled his car up to a makeshift parking slot and turned the beast off. Unclasping his seat belt, Sejah opened his door and got out, pocketing the keys. The car doors would automatically lock once Terran closed his door. The establishment didn't look like much, but the motley collection of haggardly maintained speeders around it was enough to speak for its clientele; mostly working class and blue-collar types. It was a place where Sejah could feel at home, where nobody looked down on you. He had been itching to return to it ever since he woke up from his coma.

"Well, you coming?" he called, half jokingly to Terran as he neared the door.

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:51:56 PM
"Yeah, I'm right there. . .just gimme a moment. . .I'm comin. . ." Terran made his way outside of the beast, the doors clicking to a lock behind him. He stayed solitary for a moment as the feeling of complete nausea washed over him at the rush of standing. His head swam a bit as he focused on Sejah and made his way to the door.

Luckily, they found a booth rather quickly, Terran plopping to a halt in the seat as he relaxed, dizzied from the walk. Sejah had a quirky smile on his face, and the Jedi himself could see the humor, although he didn't feel like mentioning it. All he wanted was something cold and wet to drink.

"Ice water, please," Terran said to the server who floated by. She was a portly Twi'lek female with bright orange lekku and a half-toothless smile. She was atually rather inviting, depending on what one found inviting, and Terran did enjoy this atmosphere. It reminded him of some of the taverns of Gais. The Jedi craved the cool, limpid liquid.

"Well, I think it's safe to say that your machine works properly," he commented, the air of a lazy fan above them tossing his hair about a bit as he enjoyed the breeze. Although he was slightly hesitant to inquire about the next topic, as it was a bit sensitive, he was genuinely inquisitive about Sejah's life as of late. "How has the recovery process been?"

Sejah Haversh
Nov 26th, 2003, 12:37:35 AM
The patched vinyl of the booth seat creaked as Seah sat down on it, and he let his paws rest on the worn formica tabletop. The place spoke of a good day's work, and a common man's relaxation. It also smelled of tobacco smoke and spilt beer, but that was alright.

"It's been slow," Sejah replied, unrlling his flatware from a paper napkin. "I was in a walking frame until last week, and now I've been sopending a few hours a day in physical therapy to get my muscle strength back. Thje doc's don't think I'll ever get back to the shape I was in, though. But, I guess that's okay, I mean, the next Rho'istaan tournament isn't for another twenty-seven years, and I'm pretty sure I won't be invited. Beer please, house tap," he said to the waitress at the end as she returned to deliver Terran's ice water.

"How about you? I hear I busted your jaw pretty good."

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 26th, 2003, 10:33:38 PM
"Yeah, yeah you did," Terran laughed a bit as he rubbed his jaw, remembering the pain he'd went through. Though inwardly he cringed--what he had done to Sejah cost his friend his total mobility for the rest of his life, possibly! Terran couldn't believe that the problem had extended so far, and he nearly felt like throwing up again. To be so ignorant. . .so destructive. He sighed heavily and took a giant drink of his water, trying to calm his stomach and his nerves.

"I had to visit a back-alley doctor. It was broken, with one of the mandible bones shattered. They wired it shut until I got back to the Order and got some bacta. A mouthful of metal is something I don't need again." A small price to pay, he thought. His jaw was fully healed and he was completely functional again. He had taken part of Sejah away that could not be returned. He was ashamed.

"Tell me about Figrin." He tried to move on to a different conversation--something that didn't center around his own personal stupidity. "Is he like everyone says? I've spoken to him once, but it wasn't my best showing." He remembered the Jedi dinner where he had proven himself as clutsy as normal.

Sejah Haversh
Nov 28th, 2003, 01:22:10 AM
Sejah's beer arrived and the mongoose drank off the foam before wiping his furry upper lip on his napkin and replying, "He's a good guy, sort of quiet, but quite wise. We haven't had a chance to do much yet, but, it's going okay. He kind of reminds me a little bit of my old fencing master, though I'm not sure why. So, how about you, what's your master status? Oh, wait, here comes our waitress"

Taking another drink, Sejah scanned down the menu as the waitress waited, snapping her gum. "Um, I'll have the monster BBQ bacon burger, and a large order of onion rings," he said, then looked at Terran. "You ready to order yet, or do you need a minute still."

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:23:23 AM
"I'm ready. I'd like a Corellian Chicken sandwhich on wheat with chips, please," he responded, the color returning to his face.

"You want that bird baked or burnt?" The waitress was polite but gruff.

"Burnt, please," he responded, assuming she meant grilled. He hoped. Taking another swig of the water before him, his stomach rumbled in a good way for the first time on this trip. The place smelled of good, greasy cooking, so he looked forward to the sandwhich.

"Well, since Marcus' dissapearance, I've been taken by Estelle Russard. She's very nice thus far, but we haven't started much. We met for our first session together, and she could sense much about me that was unsettled. She said I had things to take care of first." One of which, he didn't go on to mention, was making peace with Sejah. Though he felt like he was on the right track to doing so, the mongoose had expressed his feelings and Terran had to observe them: their friendship would take time and work to restore. Luckily, Terran had both and was willing.

"She seems a bit more fitting than Marcus, I will admitt. That man took care of me like no one could, but I don't think we had the same ideals. I'm more like her--quiet, observant, empathatic. The resemblence is nice." He glanced around the room, feeling a strange sensation as he realized it was the feeling he got when another's eyes were upon him. A few tables down were three men--of the scowling breed--with dark faces and darker clothing. Every once in a while, Terran caught a glimpse of their white eyes. He felt. . .anger from them.

"Don't look now, but it looks like we're drawing some unhappy looks from the trench coat mafia over there," he said across the table to Sejah, a slight smile on his lips. "You owe any money?"

Sejah Haversh
Dec 4th, 2003, 01:31:17 PM
"Hardly," Sejah replied before taking another drink from his beer. Keeping his voice down, he looked at the men out of the corner of his eye, but didn't make a show of looking at them. "I've never seen them before, and money is one of the least of my worries anymore. Let's jsut mind our own business and leave them be, okay?"

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 4th, 2003, 07:01:29 PM
"Sounds good." Terran replied, just as the waitress returned with a large, flat tray with a couple of plates resting on it. Upon those two plates rested both of the Jedi's lunch, and Terran felt his stomach come out of hiding and join his noise in praising the smell and look of the food. As she placed both plates before them, the Jedi smiled. This food would feel good, given that breakfast was no longer with him.

"Excellent suggestion, Sej," he said, biting into a hot chicken sandwhich with mayonnaise liberally applied to the freshly toasted bun. A handful of chips followed into his mouth as he took a drink, washing down the steamy food. Pretty good place, he thought, reminding himself to find this spot later.

"How's the burger?" He smiled, his mouth full of chicken, knowing that Sejah had been here before. It was a rather normal question to ask in conversation over lunch, he thought. The mongoose looked like it tasted rather well.

"You know, I was thinking, sometime soon, we should do some traveling. Something simple--somthing relaxing. A time to catch up, with no stress--" he thought of the car outside "--and little technology, you know? Like a camping trip out in the woods of Talus, or a trip to the shores of Naboo."

Sejah Haversh
Dec 15th, 2003, 02:16:54 AM
Sejah had little problem tearing at the burger and chewing it with his sharp teeth. Unlike humans, Nehantites had not been originally designed to be omnivores, but had the jaws of a carnivore instead. The burger was short work in the paws of such an animal.

Wiping his mouth on a paper napkin, Sejah dipped an onion ring in some ranch dressing and took a bite, replying with his mouth partiall full. "Little technology? Hey, that means I can bring the Flagline. Thing runs on internal combustion, can you believe that?" Washing his mouthful down with a swig of beer, he shook his head and smiled. "Heh, just kidding, I could tell you didn't really like how I drove," he apologized, then his pink eyes sparkled evilly. "But that doesn't mean you're driving back home. And, really? A forest, or a beach? Gar, I'd love to see either of those things. I've never seen a real one of either, you know."

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 15th, 2003, 02:44:30 AM
Terran smiled, a big mouthful of chicken sandwhich as he laughed through his nose.

"Yeah, your driving is something else." He wiped his mouth and took a swig of his water. "I've felt slower in hyperspace than I did around those corners out there!" He was playfully teasing the other, and it was reciprocated equally.

"I've got to show you Gais. You'd love it--pure nature. It's doesn't even have a true spaceport!" He didn't know if this was any big news, considering his limited knowledge of Nehantish. "The planet's about 40% water, the rest grassland and lush forest. It's a work of art, really. It's beautiful." Terran realized he was rambling about his home. "I'm probably biased."

"Tell me about Nehantish." He knew very little of the planet, and he didn't want it to show anymore.

Sejah Haversh
Dec 15th, 2003, 02:54:07 AM
"It's a big ball of sand and wind, really," Sejah replied, obviusly not very enthused about his homeworld. He no longer had the love for it that he once did. "There is one ocean, and a few pockets of vegetation, but the ocean is so hot and salty that almost nothing can live in it. Most of our water comes from ice from polar caps, or from underground sources. Or from off-planet. Importing water is a big industry on desert worlds."

He stopped to finish off his onion ring, and nearly finished his beer before holding up the almost-empty glass to show the waitress, then set it back down to continue. "Our spaceports were built by the Empire, and there's a few major ones. We've essentially scrapped our culture in favor of that of the outside universe, and the world is going to hell in a handbasket as far as I'm concerned anymore."

He said it with such carelessness that it was almost shocking. After his ordeal at the Rho'istaan tournament, he knew he could never go back home, and he had nearly grown to resent his own people. "This Gais, how far is it by spacecraft?" he changed the subject as a new beer was brought to him.

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 15th, 2003, 03:40:19 AM
Terran could sense Sejah's disdain, held deep down inside of him. Though at first it was slightly disturbing, he could tell it was that of rejection. He'd been hurt by his own people--in some way or another. It didn't seem like the right time to ask about it.

"Well, it's surpisingly not that far. Only about one and a half days trip. If, of course, the jump lanes aren't too busy." He poked at a few of his fries as his stomach started to get full, considering that he had all but inhaled his sandwhich. When you loose most of your lunch, you tend to regain your appetite. "I haven't seen my mother and father for about six months. It's been awhile."

"Sejah?" Terran's voice was soft. "Where are your parents?" Terran hesitated to ask, and was completely polite in his inquiry.

Sejah Haversh
Dec 15th, 2003, 03:43:19 AM
Sejah said nothing, instead his face grew somber and he turned his attentions to his onion rings, offering no answer whatsoever.

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 15th, 2003, 03:51:40 AM
"I'm sorry," he said, letting out a huge sigh as he realized his error. "I didn't mean to. . .I wasn't trying to. . .look, I didn't. . ." Sejah offered no nonverbal response and Terran quit, as the mongoose didn't even make eye contact with him. That was stupid, he thought scolding himself.

"Hey, I gotta use the restroon," the young Jedi said finally, after a few moments of painful, dead quiet. He got up, making his way to the tiny corner that was the restroom and closed the door behind him. He used the facilities and then turned to the sink, turning on the cold faucet and grabbing a handful of the cool liquid. Throwing it into his face, he let the shock of the liquid set in.

"Stupid, Stupid, Stupid," he said under his breath as he wiped the water from his face. He wiped a few of the now saturated locks back into his hair and left the restroom, heading over to the bar to pick up the tab. He threw a few credits down to the checker and made his way back to their seat.

"I guess I'm pretty much finished when you are," he said quietly, his eyes examining Sejah's face.

Sejah Haversh
Dec 15th, 2003, 04:11:02 AM
"My father died in a freighter explosion when I was three," Sejah said out of the blue, his pink eyes meeting Terran's with a look of brutal honesty. His paws slowly tore an onion ring into three manageable pieces as he elaborated. "Back then, Nehantite ships were mostly junkers salvaged from scrapyards, and cheap old freighters bought form other fleets. Nehantish was unaware of the outside universe until thirty-five years ago, after all, and never had a space program of its own until the Empire found us, and established control and gaave us training in technology. But only in how to repair it, and take care of it. They saw us as fit to be mechanics and gruts. Animals who could work for low pay and be beneath them. You humans always think you're superior"

He grew more serious as he continued. "In any case, my father supported us by being a mechanic on a water freighter after the Empire abandoned us. Back then, there was a one in twenty chance that your ship would drastically fail in transit, and a one in fifty chance that the whole crew would be killed. My father was lucky, and was often on newer craft, so his odds were better. But, one trip was on an older, rickety transport. He was returning from some lush planet with a load of compressed water when their reactor split, and there was no hope of fixing it. The authorities guessed that the entire crew was killed in a matter of hours due to the heavy radiation, and then the reactor blew, destroying the entire ship. His body was never recovered; we didn't have, and still don't have the technology for that. Four months later, my older brother was struck by a car and killed immedately. He and I were trying to cross the street and a car ran a red light."

It was becoming hard for Sejah to tell his tale, but he kept going with the aid of his second glass of beer, which was rapidly draining. "So it was just me and my mom. We had to give up the decent apartment we had for a hole in the ghetto, and scraped out a living from there. I never went to school. we couldn't aford it, and I'd likely be shot dead on the street long ago in a gang battle had it not been for Master Rej and his fencing school. My mom died just before I got home on my last trip. Cancer. She never told anyone, and I never got to visit her grave."

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 15th, 2003, 04:22:48 AM
Terran's face told more than any ammount of words ever could. The Jedi's features grew soft and sympathetic as he listened to every word that his friend spoke. He never knew--he never ever knew. He considered Sejah his closest friend at the Order, and he never once had any idea that the mongoose was without family. Every inch of his heart contorted as the pain struck him. Terran was blessed and cursed with a great power of the Force--compassion. When another being felt sadness, grief, pain, the Jedi recieved it almost in the same intensity as the other. It caused a tear to leave the young man's eye, as he turned his gaze away, wiping it quickly.

"I'm sorry, Sejah." Terran reached out a hand and touched the back of Sejah's right paw. It wasn't manly and it wasn't expected, as Terran could see Sejah taking on a startled look. "I never knew. I didn't mean to be so inconsiderate, my friend." Terran squeezed the hand gently and then let go, rubbing his head. "I guess, when you have a family that's halfway normal, you take it for granted. You forget that things happen. You forget that not everyone is like that." He felt foolish again.

Sejah Haversh
Dec 15th, 2003, 04:29:32 AM
Sejah pulled his paw back out of Terran's reach, but not so fast that it looked rude. The touch had been odd to say the least, and Sejah wasn't entirely comfortable with it. Still, he understood that Terran was trying to be comforting, but it wasn't a problem that anyone could help with. His family was gone, and that was that.

Finishing his beer, Sejah stifled a slight belch and set his glass aside, standing up. "It's okay," he said. "So, you ready to go?" The mongoose already had his cane in paw, and was fishing for his wallet with his other paw.

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 17th, 2003, 03:54:27 PM
"Yeah, I'm ready," Terran said as he could see Sejah fishing for money. "Don't worry about it--I've taken care of the bill." The Jedi wasn't showing off or trying to make up for something, he was just taking care of a friend, as friends did. It was nothing special.

"Well," he let a little smile escape his face. "I guess there's no chance you'd want me to drive?" Of course, he asked in jest. But. . .then again. . .it never hurt to ask. . .

Sejah Haversh
Dec 17th, 2003, 04:07:11 PM
Sejah accepted Terran's offer to pay, and pulled his keys out as they headed for the door, Sejah still limping a little. "Sorry, Terran, but the Flagline uses gears and manually shifts through them. I'm afraid it might be a little more than you're used to right now, so I'll drive."

Pressing the button on his keyfob, the doors unlocked and a small beep signalled that the alarm was deactivated. Dropping down into his seat, Sejah inserted the igniton key and turned it, the great engine roaring to life as he fastened his seat harness. "Buckle up, Terran," he instructed before slipping the car into reverse and carefully backing out of his parking stall. Then it was nudged into first, then second as he made his way back onto the street.

The drive back to the order was not nearly as intense as the one to the greasy spoon, but it wasn't without some high speeds and harrowing corners. When the mongoose pulled the car into the garage at the Jedi complex, he pressed the automatic door button to let the large gate close behind him and brought the large black automobile to a stop. "Well, what do you think of her?" he asked, shutting the engine off.

imported_Terran Starek
Jan 8th, 2004, 07:01:23 PM
"I think she's a fine machine, Sej," he replied, though his enthusiastic and hasty retreat from the passenger seat of the vehicle might have told the mongoose otherwise. He really did appreciate the time they spent together. He needed it, in many ways, just as much as he wanted it. He stretched his neck a little as he made his way around to stand beside Sejah, who had just gotten out of the car.

"It definitely has a different feel about it, that's for sure. They just don't make engines like this around here anymore," he stated. He turned to face his friend. "I'm not really good with this kind of stuff, but. . .thanks. Thanks for your patience and your forgiveness. You've been such a friend to me, no matter how bad I've manage to muss things up. I don't deserve it."