PDA

View Full Version : Are You a Metrosexual?

Jedieb
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:19:51 PM
A metrosexual is man who pays as much attention to his attire and personal hygine as any high maintenance diva would. A man who would serve only fruit at his child's birthday party. A man who would spend $50 on a haircut. A man who thinks getting a manicure is a great way to relax. Are you a metrosexual? Take the quiz!
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/quiz?event_id=418

My score was an amazing 1! Thank the maker....

ReaperFett
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:26:33 PM
....ZERO??? :lol

JMK
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:44:46 PM
Let me guess, without seeing this link, Beckham is the poster boy?

JMK
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:48:16 PM
Yep. I was right. Then I scored a 1 because I'm re-reading Iliad. :\

darth_mcbain
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:55:16 PM
I was a 2!!! At least I'm still in the "lost cause" category!!! :lol

Those boxer-briefs got me...

And, of all the luck, I would have to be re-reading Les Miserables right now...

Figrin D'an
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:10:30 PM
1. Like JMK, it was due to the book I'm currently reading.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:13:30 PM
Zero, not reading any classics right now :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:14:40 PM
*thinks someone has been watching South Park ;)

Charley
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:21:15 PM
I scored a four.

Taylor Millard
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:23:17 PM
I got a zero, but ah well...I coulda gotten a one, but I dunno if the writings of Richard Burke are considered 'classic'.

oh yeah, and I don't use any hair products.

Charley
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:26:28 PM
Lets see:

1 tube of extra-hold hair gel: $12
2 jars of formable pomade: $15 each

So yeah...

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:53:38 PM
:lol I got 3?

Dan the Man
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:55:28 PM
I own...

7 pairs of non-sneaker shoes. 4 pairs of sneakers.

Jedieb
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:59:25 PM
Reading got me as well. I bagled the rest of them. She-males, go do your nails, sissy boys! :shootin

I saw a bit of the SP episode you mentioned. Where I hear most of my metrobashing is on Mike & Mike in the morning. Golic, the donut eating he-man, is always ragging on the primpy Greenburg. Greenburg has no shame and he's trying to convert real men everywhere. He must be stopped!

Dan the Man
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:59:28 PM
I also own 15 pairs of sunglasses :cool

24 diffent kinds of cologne :cool

Charley
Nov 14th, 2003, 02:04:06 PM
Retook, and got a 6! :eek

ReaperFett
Nov 14th, 2003, 02:04:51 PM
I own one pair of trainers :)

jjwr
Nov 14th, 2003, 02:09:06 PM
0 Woohoo!!!

Jedieb
Nov 14th, 2003, 02:29:00 PM
Scoring:
12 correct answers: One hot brother!
9-11 correct: Call your fam and friends -- you're a metro!
6-8 correct: Keep it up, you have serious potential!
3-4 correct: Go buy the latest GQ and study up!
0-2 correct: You're a lost cause.

The translation:
Scoring:
12 correct answers: One big sissy boy!
9-11 correct: Call your fam and friends -- you're a disgrace and they should be warned not to associate with you!
6-8 correct: Give up, you have no manhood potential whatsoever!
3-4 correct: Go buy the latest Penthouse and study up, you're slipping!
0-2 correct: You're a stud. Women ador your sloven carcass. Pizza is your friend. Zema isn't something you drink, it's a bottle you smash over someone's head in a bar brawl. You believe Pork Rinds are a food group. Stains add character. Nails and hair are meant to be unkempt. Oscar is the Odd Couple character you idolize, Felix is the one you avoid.

JMK
Nov 14th, 2003, 02:31:26 PM
Well done!

Dutchy
Nov 14th, 2003, 02:55:00 PM
1 :cool

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 14th, 2003, 03:34:38 PM
0 Thank god :p

CMJ
Nov 14th, 2003, 03:51:33 PM
I got a big fat zero. Of course my ex girlfriend coulda told you that(i.e. she's my EX). :p

JMK
Nov 14th, 2003, 04:13:50 PM
Hey, forget her Court! You scored a 0, which in our books makes you a man.
Unless you like soccer. :p

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 14th, 2003, 04:24:25 PM
Zero and proud of it :D

Charley
Nov 14th, 2003, 04:35:13 PM
Wait, so no other guys here own lots of shoes, use styling products in their hair, shave body hair, manicure eyebrows, look in the mirror constantly, or spend lots of time shopping?

:huh

JediBoricua
Nov 14th, 2003, 04:41:51 PM
That's about right Charley...

I got a 0 *opens a beer bottle with his teeth*

imported_Grev Drasen
Nov 14th, 2003, 04:46:37 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
Wait, so no other guys here own lots of shoes, use styling products in their hair, shave body hair, manicure eyebrows, look in the mirror constantly, or spend lots of time shopping?

I've owned the same pair of Doc Martens for like 2 years. I hate shoes/clothes shopping. I shave my face... that's it.

My only metrosexual quality is keeping my room spotless.

Charley
Nov 14th, 2003, 04:47:51 PM
That must make me a great multitasker then, because I'm apparently prettier than all of you, AND I party harder than you all as well :cool

Kinda cool to have my cake and eat it too :smokin

ReaperFett
Nov 14th, 2003, 04:48:06 PM

Seems not :)

Droo
Nov 14th, 2003, 04:59:45 PM
I scored four. If I had hair to style, I'd style it but considering I shave it myself then I'd be two points up. I do not shave my legs, armpits or chest as I think that's far too feminine for my tastes. One of my mates does it and I rip him to pieces over it. Not do I wax or shave my eyebrows. I have really thick eyebrows but they aren't untidy and are very well separated so mneh. I have naturally great eyebrows! :ccol

Having said all that I am in no way a metroboy or a nancy boy, I just like to look after myself. :mneh

CMJ
Nov 14th, 2003, 05:00:05 PM

I own tennis shoes, a pair of dress shoes and flip flops. Basically the 3 everyman pairs. What the hell else do you need??

Styling products in the hair? Are you BLEEPING kidding me?! I wear a hat everywhere, unless it's to work. Then it's straight shampoo dawg...forget conditioner.

Shave body hair? Well other than my face, I don't really grow that much. I'm no Robin Williams.

I check the mirror in the morning to make sure i'm alive, and after my shower.

Shopping? Now I know you're kidding. I rarely shop...unless I have to(like the holidays) or I need to(all my shirts got holes in them so I need to break down and buy some new ones).

:smokin :hat

JMK
Nov 14th, 2003, 05:05:42 PM
AND I party harder than you all as well
hmmm....I'm not sure about that one. :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 14th, 2003, 05:13:09 PM

One set of runners and a business leather set, Refuses to put crap in my hair, only shave my face, mirror is there as CMJ said to check on state of alive and shopping is for giiiiiiiiirls!

Figrin D'an
Nov 14th, 2003, 05:31:31 PM
I probably should have given myself a 2, because of the shoes thing. I have a pair of sneakers, a pair of deck shoes, a pair of Rockport casuals (like Doc Martens), and a pair of black dress shoes for my suits. Those are what I wear on a fairly regular basis. I have a few other pairs of footwear (heavy work boots, flip-flop sandals, climbing shoes), but only use them occasionally (or they're specialized, like the climbing shoes), so I didn't count them as being in mix. And I don't think house slippers count either.

Hair products... shampoo. That's it. I used to wear ball caps all the time. I still do, but it's down to less than 50% of the time now.

Shaving... just my beard. It's enough work keeping up with that alone, it grows so damn fast.

Check the mirror twice a day... after I shower in the morning, and after work if I'm going out for the evening (tiddy up and all that jazz).

Shopping, to certain extents, I can tolerate. I despise malls. I avoid getting dragged along for shopping by a girlfriend or any other female friends as much as humanly possible. If I need clothing, I go by myself.

Darth Viscera
Nov 14th, 2003, 06:27:20 PM
I scored a big fat zero. I haven't put moose in my hair since I was 13, but I do put half an effort into dyeing it every 8 months. Get me good and drugged on a milligram of calm pills and I'd probably go shopping, though.

Charley
Nov 14th, 2003, 06:29:07 PM
1. I have brown steel-toed boots for fall and winter casual, black steel-toed boots generally for more dressy occasions(need both kinds!), formal shoes for business meetings, open-toe birkenstocks for slumming it to class, closed-toe sandals for doing the same if the ground is a little damp, timberland low-cut moccasins for all-season casual, airwalks for casual with jeans, red chuck taylors for special occasions, black chuck taylors also for special occasions, a pair of nice tennis shoes to work out in, and a pair of cruddy ones to do yard work in.

2. A good quality heavy-hold hair gel is important, especially when you don't want to risk wind damage or unsightly tufts from a double crown that decides not to behave. Pomade is excellent for the "low maintenance" look, without being naturally dingy. It also allows a bit of leeway for you to work with. You also need either a good hairspray, light mousse, or something else for a gentle hold that doesn't look heavy. Body Shampoo is important to keep hair looking full, and conditioner is VITAL for a healthy, moisturized scalp, and agreeable hair styling.

3. I shave along my shoulders and upper arm, as I seem to be part werewolf or something, and grow hair everywhere. Also, I have a tattoo on my arm, and I like to keep it foliage-free, because it looks nice that way. In addition, I trim heavily "down there".

4. In addition, my eyebrows aren't out of control, but they kinda seem to be thinking about creeping close every once in a while, so I make sure to take pre-emptive action there. It all works out in the end.

5. I must check a mirror when I pass it. I have no idea why. My sister calls me the most vain person in the world. I don't even think about it, but its something that I do. I guess I just like to look at myself?

6. I love shopping. I don't necessarily need to buy anything, but just walking about and checking out what's up is great. Most of it is video games, movies, and books, but I've been known to spend quite a bit of time in a furniture store, or amongst culinary sections in department stores.

:(

(or maybe I'm just the only one here brave enough to admit that I do these things ;))

AmazonBabe
Nov 14th, 2003, 06:42:51 PM
That's one of the bestest things about you, Charley! :)

You can be such a guy, and yet still enjoy those types of things. It's soooooo refreshing. :)

...and shopping is for giiiiiiiiirls!

Pay no attention to them, Charley. You can help me pick out something over at Victoria's Secret... and then afterwards we can go to Fry's Electronics. :D

Figrin D'an
Nov 14th, 2003, 06:43:23 PM
(or maybe I'm just the only one here brave enough to admit that I do these things ;))

Nope. You're a pansy boy. ;) :mneh

Darth Viscera
Nov 14th, 2003, 06:44:12 PM
If I did them, I'd be the first one to admit to it, compliment whore that I am.

CMJ
Nov 14th, 2003, 06:51:56 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'M not lying. That's not to say I'm some macho man(far from it - remember I like alot of sappy chick flick movies), but really I just plain don't give a crap about appearance and/or clothes.

I watch so much sports, it even drives my other GUY friends insane.

I have no life. ;)

Darth Viscera
Nov 14th, 2003, 06:52:11 PM
Originally posted by AmazonBabe
Pay no attention to them, Charley. You can help me pick out something over at Victoria's Secret... and then afterwards we can go to Fry's Electronics. :D

Gee Charley, thanks for taking one for the team :P Heck, where do I sign up?

Crystal
Nov 14th, 2003, 07:25:18 PM
My score was two.. damn my mirror obsession and the fact I shave my legs :mneh

Darth Viscera
Nov 14th, 2003, 07:32:26 PM
Being of the female persuasion automatically gives you +12 innate Metrosexual skill. If you level up to the butch lesbian skill however, it has a -12 Metrosexual attribute which'll cancel out your innate skill level.

Charley
Nov 14th, 2003, 07:36:14 PM
Originally posted by AmazonBabe
That's one of the bestest things about you, Charley! :)

You can be such a guy, and yet still enjoy those types of things. It's soooooo refreshing. :)

I'll take that to mind :cool:

The thing is, I've got all the extreme guy-isms as well. I'm a huge sports fan, a party for me involves beer, hard liquor, and hard rock. My room has enough weapons to arm a Mexican guerrilla band, and I drive a pickup truck to boot.

I guess I'm just amazingly well-centered :smokin

Master Yoghurt
Nov 14th, 2003, 08:05:13 PM
5 or 6 depending what I answer on "Best way to spend a Friday", depends on the mood

Figrin D'an
Nov 14th, 2003, 09:29:50 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'M not lying. That's not to say I'm some macho man(far from it - remember I like alot of sappy chick flick movies), but really I just plain don't give a crap about appearance and/or clothes.

I care about my appearance. It's mearly that my stylistic preferences do not require a lot of those "metrosexual" tendancies.

Ardath Bey
Nov 15th, 2003, 12:53:45 AM
I am a lost cause -- a #2. Can't help it, more outdoorsy than anything. I hang with normal sometimes psychotic people.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 15th, 2003, 12:57:30 AM
I must check a mirror when I pass it. I have no idea why. My sister calls me the most vain person in the world. I don't even think about it, but its something that I do. I guess I just like to look at myself?

You're such a RL smith it's not even funny. :).

I got a 5. ^_^;

Zachariah Jak'el
Nov 15th, 2003, 02:18:01 AM
I got Zero

is Terry pratchet's discworld considered a best seller?

Charley
Nov 15th, 2003, 02:59:55 AM
no

ReaperFett
Nov 15th, 2003, 09:50:23 AM
Actually, I'd say it is. It sold very well, and in the BBCs "Big Read" program, it is in the top 21 novels, chosen by the public.

Xazor Elessar
Nov 15th, 2003, 12:20:36 PM
I took the quiz just for fun and I scored a 5. :lol Good ole mix of the tomboy in me and the refined female. ;)

Charley
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:13:14 PM
Fett. It isn't on the bestseller list. That isn't really up for debate.

Xaz, that doesn't count. As a female, you should be getting a 6 or higher. That's the point.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:16:57 PM
As a female, you should be getting a 6 or higher.

:( -failed-

Vhiran Crescent
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:21:37 PM
Got a 0. Wooo.

Can't remember if Tom Clancy's Teeth of the Tiger is a best seller or not? Charley?

Charley
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:25:04 PM
yes it is

Jedieb
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:39:34 PM
Appearance
I'm married, why the hell should I care about my appearance? What little care I place on my appearance is forced upon me because of work. I shower my hair and then reluctantly have to put some gel in it because if I don't it'll friz up and I'll look like a damn chia pet. Then I slap on some khakis, a dress shirt, a Snoopy tie, and I'm ready to go to work warping the minds of young children. If I could go to work in jeans, a t-shirt, and my Yankees hat I'd be the happiest man on the planet. As it is, I'm forced to display my Latin good looks on co-workers who will never have a chance. Sorry to tease you ladies. :smokin

Books
I don't usually re-read Joyce, Shakespeare, Hemmingway, Faulkner, etc. but I've always got copies lying around so I took a hit on that one. The truth is for every one classic I read I waste my time reading 2 SW novels. Ughh, the shame.

Shoes
One pair is brown, the other is black and has a couple of holes, and then there are my sneakers. The old army boots don't count because I can go years without ever wearing a pair. I keep them for sentimental reasons and just in case I want to give my boy a really good butt kicking.

Shopping
I'd rather be tied to a racing car and dragged naked, kicking, and screaming around a race track for 5 hours than to go shopping with my wife and kids. Honey, just let me go to the bookstore while you buy YET ANOTHER PAIR OF BLACK SHOES!!!! I'm still wearing 10 year old college t-shirts with more holes in them than an episode of MacGeyver. Same thing with the underwear. Like I tell my wife, if the elastic is still intact then IT'S STILL A FUNCTIONING PIECE OF UNDERWEAR! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!

Shaving
Once it starts coming out of my ears I'll consider it. No back hair, no neck hair, and thankfully, plenty where it counts, up top! Man do I feel sorry for you balding bastards. I think I'd rather kill myself than go chrome.

Do you moisturize daily?
There's simply no defense for this! Honestly, just start wearing a dress!

How much do you spend on a haircut?
Beauty shops = women
Barbers = men
If you need to fill out a loan application to get your haircut then your in the wrong damn place. Head over to the crappy old barber shop on the corner and see if you can recover your manhood. Took my boy to get our cuts today. There was belching, story telling, and sports on TV. THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Your top drawer consists mostly of ...
Nut-huggers or boxers, nothing else is acceptable. Unless you're a male giggilo you've got no reason to have anything silky in that drawer.

Best way to spend a Friday night?

Watching the game over a large pizza and a six pack

Dinner at T.G.I.Friday's and ninth viewing of Lord of the Rings

Those first two were the only acceptable answers. You go to the ballet for the kids and to get your wife off your back. And you schedule around whatever big game is playing that week. If you miss the big game on Saturday to see Les Miserables then you might as well change your name to Chip or Bruce and start wearing pink.

How would you describe your sense of style?
Style, what the hell is that?
:x

JMK
Nov 15th, 2003, 05:02:40 PM
Appearance: I'm retired (err...laid off) so what the hell do I care? Except when I get groceries. Then I put jeans and t-shirt and my dolphins cap on.

Books: I've got mostly sports books, a lot of SW, LotR and Iliad.

Shoes: 2 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of casual dress shoes.

Shopping: groceries and ebay.

Shaving: I've bought 4 replacement blades for my mach 3 since mid-june. Nuff said.

Do you moisturize daily?
See Eb's answer. That's all there really is to it.

How much do you spend on a haircut?
My ex used to do it for free. Now I pay about $14. What was her number again...:mad

Your top drawer consists mostly of?
Boxers. Period.

Best way to spend a Friday night?
Watching the game over a large pizza and a six pack. As long as the game isn't soccer. :p

How would you describe your sense of style?
I'm a high classed bum these days. Ahhh the life....:smokin

Ryan Pode
Nov 15th, 2003, 05:46:32 PM
Got a one.

Zatania Duvall
Nov 16th, 2003, 11:50:19 AM
I got a 6... but then again, I'm a girl. So it doesnt matter? lol

Darth Viscera
Nov 16th, 2003, 12:00:54 PM
Being of the female persuasion automatically gives you +12 innate Metrosexual skill. If you level up to the butch lesbian skill however, it has a -12 Metrosexual attribute which'll cancel out your innate skill level.

So you got an 18!

JediBoricua
Nov 16th, 2003, 12:29:05 PM
I have a couple of shoes because I use a suit and tie to work. So I have a black pair, and a brown/tan pair.

I have my sneakes for college, and sandals that I use when it's not raining. I also have a pair of casual boots that my g/f bought me with her employee discount from Clark's, and some flip-flops for the beach. So maybe I should have gotten a 1.

Shaving, I do it like once a week. Really. I'm 20, but judging by my baby face people think I'm 16,17. At least I'm tall and have a deep voice to counter it. Anyway I only shave once a week, and I don't usually need shaving cream, just water and soap.

Shopping...no! I made the mistake of going shopping once with my g/f. Never again. Really a couple of weeks ago I bought all the clothes I will need 'till next semester, and took me about 45 minutes. My girl (or my mom, or almost every woman I know) needs 45 minutes just to clear the perfume section at Macy's. I like the mall though, just because I can spend 2 hours at Border's reading free magazines.

Books? I'm always reading something, and just finished the final NJO book. Next in line is a biography of 'Che' by an american journalist, I forgot his name. But i'm not one to re-read old classics.

Friday nights I usually spend with my friends drinking beer and playing dominoes (much to the despair of my g/f), though I have to admit that I've been dragged to hip clubs and had a good time.

I guess the most metrosexual things I do is that I like artsy independent films and that I absolutely love sushi.

Mortaniuss
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:21:13 PM
I actually thought I'd score a few points, but I got a big fat zero. Reading a current best seller, although I do re-read "classics" often. I would definitely take a Daiquiri (:mischief) over a beer, but they didn't ask that.

imported_Firebird1
Nov 17th, 2003, 01:16:29 PM
I got a zero too. :)

Shanaria Fabool
Nov 17th, 2003, 04:25:36 PM
I Got 2 if anybody cares...:)

Darth Viscera
Nov 18th, 2003, 02:49:40 AM
Originally posted by Shanaria Fabool
I Got 2 if anybody cares...:)

14!

Jedieb
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:17:36 PM
Appearance: I'm retired (err...laid off)
:lol

Friday nights I usually spend with my friends drinking beer and playing dominoes (much to the despair of my g/f), though I have to admit that I've been dragged to hip clubs and had a good time.

Ah, playing dominoes and screaming with my relatives at the top of our lungs. To be Cuban in Miami.... the MANLIEST of lives!:cool