PDA

View Full Version : Band groupie status: UPGRADED

Charley
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:06:10 AM
As some of you know, I spent a lot of time this year running around with my friends' band, Mindtrip. Me and my other buddies attend all their gigs, and make sure everybody has a good time. They're a local band, been together for just over a year, and have gone from the garage to playing regular gigs at bars and clubs in Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, and other spots. They even got 2nd place in the WRAX local battle of the bands contest, and got a pinch of radio time out of it. Earlier this fall, they signed on with the Budweiser tour, which is HUGE. They'll be getting decent pay instead of playing for peanuts, and will be opening for much bigger venues, all across the southeast.

Now, they've been working very hard to get their first album pieced together. I've been entrusted with an in-progress copy, and it sounds fantastic. In working on their album, they've been hurting for an album cover design. I can't even remember when, but one night at a bar, I scribbled something on a napkin that "might work".

Imagine my suprise today, when the singer calls me up and tells me that he wants to use my design. I felt extremely honored. I never thought that they'd seriously want to use the thing. I made it on the fly with liquor on the brain.

So, if these crazy bastards ever make it big, and you find Mindtrip's self-titled album in your music store, I hope you like what you see :cool

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:07:50 AM
Neat! I wanna see this design now. What sort of music do these guys play?

Taylor Millard
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:08:32 AM
^seconds Ryla's question

Charley
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:10:19 AM
I'd show it if I had it. As I said, it was a spur-of-the-moment scribble on a napkin.

Best I can describe is that it is a tribal-esque design, with a M and T featured atop a crucifix-shaped pattern. It looks pretty sweet.

These guys play hard rock / alternative stuff. It depends on the song.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Nov 14th, 2003, 09:52:59 AM
I think thats great, Charley *hugs* Congrats to you!......and I think we all need a free copy of the album :mischief

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 14th, 2003, 11:29:33 AM
WTG, Charley.

Of course, Daiq, nothing in life is ever free...

...so, Charley will just have to buy us all albums. :lol It's a small gesture of kindness.

Charley
Nov 14th, 2003, 11:51:07 AM
I offered to buy the album, and the band got mad at me and insisted I get a copy for free. I'm buying one anyway when they go on sale. I'm putting my wallet where my mouth is, these guys are great.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 14th, 2003, 11:55:30 AM
Are they on mp3.com ?

Charley
Nov 14th, 2003, 11:56:51 AM
I think they have a song or two on there, lemme check.

EDIT: Yup, they're on it. Download Slippin. Its pretty cool :)

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/537/mind_trip.html

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:26:55 PM
Leeds, Al? Are all the places in Alabama named after English cities?

Downloaded "Reach Away". Not too bad :)

Looks like you can only stream Slippin.

Charley
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:48:13 PM
Birmingham, Leeds, Bessemer, possibly Tarrant?

The entire area is a huge ironworks city, and back in the day alot of it was invested in by British businessmen, so that's the intuition, to my knowledge.

Leeds is a craphole, though.

Garrett Blade
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:08:59 PM
Just like the one over here then! :p