PDA

View Full Version : Legacy of Kain: Defiance comes out today

Shawn
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:08:19 PM
I'm afraid that school and a lack of funds both have rendered me pretty much incapable of playing games for the last few months, but I just can't pass this one by. :) It should be in stores as you read this.

http://ftp.eidos.com/pub/videos/lok/lok_trailer005.zip - the final trailer, which contains some mild spoiler-ish type content. None of the plot is really given away, but if you prefer to go into the game blind, don't watch it.

I'm going to try and pick it up this evening. I've cleared out as much of my workload as I could, just so I can spend all night playing it. :D

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:24:26 PM
Is it out on PC or is there a later release date for that?

EDIT - Trailer just finished downloading :D

"Let us continue our conversation, but on a somewhat different footing" ... oh I love Moebius, and the Elder God for that matter.

That "If this will make you see reason" at the end too. His voice gives me shivers! I like how they've rendered Kain. He's looking a little more like a balance between previous incarnations... green, but a little slimmer, to fit in with the pencil-wasted BO2 version.

The combat looks excellent. I like the look of this mid-air stuff, and the telekinetic abilities. The new reaver abilities look good too - like him driving it into the air and emitting some sort of shockwave.

It looks almost like the fight between the two of them is the end of the game.

"Only one may survive..." :uhoh

Shawn
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:37:32 PM
AFAIK, a PC version will be released in the UK February 6th, but no PC version is currently planned for the US.

Eidos made pretty much the same statement about Soul Reaver 2, so I'd expect a US release shortly after the UK one.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:44:07 PM
Siiigh. Looks like this is going on the Christmas list.

Let us know what its like :)

Shawn
Jan 2nd, 2004, 10:54:53 PM
I picked up the PC version today. :D The game looks gorgeous and is a blast to play. The combat system may have been copied from Devil May Cry, but I think it does it much, much better. What's best is that it plays like a dream; At 1600x1200, I'm getting over 200 fps indoors and over 90 fps outdoors. I absolutely love the fact that you can actually go back and rewatch the in-engine cutscenes.

I think I can say, completely devoid of bias, that Defiance is the best PC port of a console game I've ever played. It even includes the bonus materials that were on the PS2/X-Box versions.

I tossed up some screenshots at http://panic.hopto.org/swf/nup/, so have a look. All of them were resized, so blame me for any blurriness.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:08:19 AM
Feb 6th before I can get my version. Nice screenies :D

It even includes the bonus materials that were on the PS2/X-Box versions.

Finally! -weeps with joy-

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 17th, 2004, 11:01:09 AM
:headache I bought this yesterday. I start it up, yay, it plays. I get to a bit where I need to jump across some stupid gap and I can't do it!? GAH. I need a gamepad and I need one now, or I need the camera to let me move it into USEFUL places.

Shawn
Feb 19th, 2004, 05:07:37 AM
Years of playing games with fixed camera angles has rendered me immune to their perils. :cool

I pretty much only play ports with a gamepad, however. Most of the people playing with the K+B configuration haven't been too happy with it, from what I hear. It should be do-able, though, if you stick with it.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 19th, 2004, 05:15:27 AM
Would any gamepad be compatible with it?

Shawn
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:51:11 AM
Pretty much, yes. I'd reccomend one with 8+ buttons and an analog stick. Extra buttons don't hurt, either.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:07:23 PM
:cry < tears of joy

Jared Mriad
Feb 19th, 2004, 07:31:58 PM
http://images2.deviantart.com/i/2004/08/a/b/F_R_O_N__Horrible_Weapon__kian.jpg

Shawn
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:24:16 PM
The scary thing is... that'd be fairly effective. o_O

Jared Mriad
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:46:05 PM
The Solution:

http://images2.deviantart.com/i/2004/08/2/5/F_R_O_N__Anti_Weapon___by_kian.jpg

(Is trying to by-pass the horrid load-times of DeviantART for those 56k'ers out there... like me.. <.<)

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:33:24 AM
Cute :)

PS, I am so loving this game so far. The combat system is soooo good.

Brian
Feb 20th, 2004, 12:59:09 PM
Heh. Those are cute.