PDA

View Full Version : At the Stroke of High Noon: The Curse of the Dark Lord's Gold (Open)

Dan the Man
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:08:42 PM
(OOC: This storyline takes place five years ago, otherwise, its open to anyone)

*click*

The unrelenting sun bore down on main street, parching the men of the hour, and the onlookers alike. Depthless quiet was pierced by brief noise, and drowned out by quiet again. The hour approached with the click of a second hand. In the distance, a sand buzzard crowed.

The Stranger's eyes narrowed beneath the sun.

"You really reckon to do this, old-timer?"

The older man who stood across from him nodded, dressed for a social occasion, rather than a duel.

"I reckon so."

Silence returned to main street. Not a whisper interrupted the moment. The Stranger laughed, but without self assurance.

"You cocky old sonufabitch, that gold'll be the end of you."

The old man looked up to the main street clock tower, and down to his own time piece.

"I've heard that before. If there were an ounce of truth there, I shoulda been dead long ago, Mister."

He put his timepiece away.

"Did you bring your wager?"

The Stranger nodded.

"I'm good to my word, Fiddler. Don't get too acquainted, though."

He reached into his pocket, and pulled out a small ingot of brilliant gold, tossing it into the dust between where both men stood.

The old man paused for a moment, watching sunbeams dance across the gold's surface. Something in the way the light reflected in his eyes caused the Stranger to give pause.

"I'm glad to deal with an honest man, Stranger. This town is full of hustlers and pimps. Unscrupulous killers and talentless thieves. Its honest men like you that bear fruit in barren soil. It's a crying damn shame that only one of us is going to leave here alive."

The Stranger appeared anxious.

"Fiddler, I've put a lot of men down into the cold ground for that slip of gold. I rightly intend to do the same to you, for the rest of it."

The old man glanced to the clock once more.

"I know you do, Mister. Once again, I appreciate honest men."

*click*

Both men's eyes gravitated toward the clock. Toward the inevitable approach of noon.

*click*

The Stranger's eyes narrowed, perspiration rising to his bronze skin. The Fiddler's eyes showed no sign of the coming bloodsport. They reflected back at the Stranger almost child-like. Eyes that held no regret in their gaze.

*click*...BOOONNNG

Nobody ever heard the shot, so well was it timed with the stroke of High Noon.

The Stranger dropped his pistol, as a phantasm of white smoke curled from the muzzle of the Fiddler's.

"I'd never reckon it'd be you, Fiddler."

The man staggered forward, clutching at his perforated chest. He hunched forward to pick up the ingot of gold, but his pierced heart told the tale. The Stranger fell forward, and spilt his life upon the dusty road and the cursed gold.

His corpse took slumber beneath the old man's tall shadow.

"No, Mister. I don't think anyone ever sees Death when he come's knockin. But knock he does, nevertheless."

Dan kicked at the Stranger's shoulder, spinning the dead man on his back. Leaning down, he pried the blood-slicked ingot from the Stranger's hand, wiping the crimson on the slain man's sleeve. When that deed was finished, he stood, facing the townspeople.

"Now, you all saw like before, I won this dispute fair and square. This man came, and paid his way like all the rest to win the prize. He tried, and died. I keep his entry as the victor's spoils, and I wait for any of you, crazy or lucky as you may be, to play the dead man's game. Should any of you be crazier or luckier than I, then you can keep the gold, and leave me for the buzzards."

With that, Dan placed his hat upon his head, and holstered his pistol. He walked back to the bar, and retrieved his fiddle case.

"Till that day, ladies and gents, y'all go on about your business. Death is a patient man."

Sanis Prent
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:52:12 PM
(Stroke of midnight, at a bar in the very same small town)

...And that was Mad-Dog Mishika with "Tell You What it is", topping off our Rocking Weekend Super-Set on WKRT the Dragon, where our music is...on fire. Now, blowing the dust off the holocrystals, we're keeping the music alive with Stealer's Wheel on your galactic source for the greatest classic rock, WKRT...the Dragon...

<font color=ffff00>Well, I don’t know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain’t right.
I’m so scared in case I fall off my chair,
And I’m wondering how I’ll get down the stairs.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Yes, I’m stuck in the middle with you,
And I’m wondering what it is I should do.
It’s so hard to keep this smile from my face,
Losing control, yeah, I’m all over the place.

Well, you started off with nothing,
And you’re proud that you’re a self-made man.
And your friends they all come crawlin’,
Slap you on the back and say, “Please, please.”

Trying to make some sense of it all,
But I can see it makes no sense at all.
Is it cool to go to sleep on the floor?
Well, I don't think I can take anymore.

Well, you started out with nothing,
And you’re proud that you’re a self-made man.
And your friends they all come crawlin’,
Slap you on the back and say, “Please, please.”

Yeah, I don’t know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain’t right,
I’m so scared in case I fall off my chair,
And I’m wondering how I’ll get down the stairs,

Yes I’m, stuck in the middle with you,
Stuck in the middle with you,
</font>

"Hell's Bells, my savior has arrived!"

The man in the dreadlocks at the sabbacc table stood, kicking his chair away.

"Candyman, Candyman, Candyman. I hope you brought the sugar!"

I pulled three small plastic pouches from my jacket pocket.

"Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full."

He laughed deliriously, already drunk, and at least riding a high on something. Not that it mattered. Nobody spent their time here sober. That was too depressing. A one-ship planet tucked into the armpit of the Nowhere system, you were either here because your other options were frelled, or you needed therapy.

Dreads made for the bags, and I pulled away.

"Not so fast. Republic patrols stepped up this month. My usual take goes up. That's 200 credits per quarter K."

He fished around in his pocket for a chit.

"Hang on. Gotta familiarize you with the family."

I made my way to the sabacc table, which had long-since been abandoned by the other two players, who appeared to be sleeping on the floor. I kicked one out of the way, and sat in the chair.

"This" I placed a bag of white powder on the table. "is Baby Bear. It'll ride like Kessel Sugar, and won't come down as fast. Good, dependable."

Dreads nodded, I continued, this time with a blue bag.

"This is Mama Bear. You'll need to clear your schedule for this stuff. Don't OD, or they'll fry an egg on your head, and I won't be responsible."

The third bag came down, with a rusty hue to it.

"This is the kahuna. Papa Bear. Ryloth chili powder. Guaranteed to give you a unique philosophical experience, and who knows what else."

Given my past insight into Dreads' habit, I could see the writing on the wall.

"Papa Bear...that's so money!"

I paused, and considered it. "Three-fifty."

Dreads made a face. "Don't hustle me, Prent."

I shook my head. "I ain't hustling. I gotta make my ends. This mess ain't cheap, and it ain't from Kessel. Consider it a special delivery, for preferred customers."

"Three-fifty eh?"

I looked to Dreads with the closest thing to deadpan honesty that I could express. "Have I ever frelled you over? If you don't like the price, there's always that grainy candy dren the Rodians push. It might get you high, if they don't cut it with mynock poison or whatever."

He hesitated, then threw down his chit. I threw the baggie down in turn, and we both swapped. That's how it was done on the Rim.

Dreads took the time to pour himself a shot, and downed it as he examined the contents of the bag. He then looked to me, smiled disarmingly, and waved the baggie.

"You wanna go?"

I leaned forward, smiling. "Hell man, you know me. That's a quarter K, plus change."

I winked.

"Test drive's included, man."

Dreads poured up two shots, and passed one to me.

"You've never frelled me over, Prent. Chill a bit, I'll get my vaporizer."

He pulled himself up from the table, and went into the back room. Leaning back in my seat, I eyed one of the hookers passed out on the far couch, as I downed my shot.

Yeah, you had to deaden your senses to spend any amount of time on this planet.