PDA

View Full Version : The Last Samurai

Ardath Bey
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:27:59 PM
The film is still abit of a distant away, opening Dec. 5. But why am I creating thread for a movie I already despise? Because I feel like discussing it and hearing other people's opinions. The premise is preposterous and the images from the trailer so telling. The worst of all is seeing the image of an elvish Tom Cruise mounted on horseback in full samurai regalia. What I gather from the trailer is Tom's character is an cynical Civil War veteran hired by the Japanese to train their army regulars but encounters a samurai rebellion. Whom capture Cruise and teach him Far East philosphies, and make a new bred Gaijin warrior out of him. Please give me Clavell's Shogun television production instead of this abhorration.

Maybe I should wait to view the movie but looks too atrocious and the condiments far too expensive to blow a lincoln and half buck.

Ardath Bey
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:33:02 PM
There are high expectations in this Warner Bros/Edward Zwick film. In fact I had just read that other studios are largely avoiding any Dec. 5 releases. That's a serious statement. I think the cinematography will be excellent and surpassing quality. But Tom Cruise's character resembles the essence of an old Western/Epic Hollywood cliche. Only instead of Mexico or a Navajo or Apache badland or in an ancient civilization, it is set in 19th century Japan.

Dan the Man
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:47:33 PM
I'm going to build a cannon that can shoot you through time so that you land in the 1950's. That way, we're both happy.

I'm expecting to be entertained. I'm not expecting flawless historical re-enactments or anything. It looks entertaining.

ReaperFett
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:47:51 PM
I'm looking forward to this. Cruise is a great actor when he feels like trying, and at worst the action should be good.

Ardath Bey
Nov 11th, 2003, 03:00:39 PM
Originally posted by Dan the Man
I'm going to build a cannon that can shoot you through time so that you land in the 1950's. That way, we're both happy.

I'm expecting to be entertained. I'm not expecting flawless historical re-enactments or anything. It looks entertaining.

lol

Seriously, this has been done countless times before off the top of my head there a great film starring Richard Harris called A Man called Horse. Concerns a britisher captured and tortured by Sioux indians. Enslaved and eventually accepted into their tribe.

The redeeming qualities of the Last Samurai contains are some of the story elements such as the Emperor's entry into the World trade and those Samurai clinging to the traditions of their bushido code. But these are subjects that were covered with far greater scope and focus in Clavell's Shogun. I predict tiresome sword battles, a thin plot, and poorly developed characters.

JMK
Nov 11th, 2003, 03:02:57 PM
I'm taking the wait and see approach with this one. I can't wrap my head around Cruise as a Samurai.
Maverick, yes.
Ethan Hunt, yes.
Jerry Maguire, yes.
Samurai Warrior.....uh...not really. Not yet anyway.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 11th, 2003, 03:06:57 PM
Originally posted by JMK
I'm taking the wait and see approach with this one. I can't wrap my head around Cruise as a Samurai.
Maverick, yes.
Ethan Hunt, yes.
Jerry Maguire, yes.
Samurai Warrior.....uh...not really. Not yet anyway.

Who expected Richard Chamberlain?

JMK
Nov 11th, 2003, 03:11:41 PM
Fair enough, but I see Cruise as too 'dainty' and pretty for this role. If he had cut his hair and looked a little more disheveled I'd be more inclined to believe him. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 11th, 2003, 03:18:50 PM
I think they tried to make him look like chamberlain a bit. He had the beard / long hair in Shogun.

Ardath Bey
Nov 11th, 2003, 03:44:47 PM
Well Chamberlain was a navigator from a shipwrecked Dutch trading vessel or something. Shogun plays out in a convincing fashion.

If The Last Samurai has a genuine story and rich characters (i.e. Shogun)? I will have eaten big crow.

Personally wished Cruise's character has a far more intellectual approach and participation in this movie than the trailer suggests. An enemy Gaijin being accepted into the Bushido Code and becoming an ex-patriate is stretching a tad far.

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:27:45 PM
I tend to agree with you here. Often times, the earliest perception you get from a trailer (in this case, the "no friggin way") is often the correct response. I'm hoping it's not, but I'm probably gonna wait for dvd on this one.

Jedieb
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:19:10 PM
Tiny Tom Cruise becomes a samurai. I think I'd rather watch a Samurai Jack marathon on Cartoon Network.

AKUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

jjwr
Nov 12th, 2003, 07:21:05 AM
I think it looks rather interesting, I'm not going to the theatre for a great historical movie but to be entertained and have fun and I think this movie will deliver on both counts.

Samurais in full armor attacking via horseback, huge sword battles, Cruise who can be a decent actor, I don't see a huge problem here.

There are movies with much worse plot holes and issues that I enjoy for me to scoff at this so early.

Pierce Tondry
Nov 12th, 2003, 12:06:56 PM
I'm just reserving judgement until I see the movie. The initial trailer I saw in theaters excited me, but more recent trailers have left me confused and uncertain on how I stand.

JediBoricua
Nov 12th, 2003, 01:52:49 PM
I know I will see it. The theme intrigues me I guess, but like many of you I'm not expecting a life changing experience.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 13th, 2003, 08:34:33 PM
Originally posted by Ardath Bey
Seriously, this has been done countless times before...

Duh. :mneh There are no original plots anymore, didn't you know that? :)

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 29th, 2003, 03:54:40 PM
Well, I get to see it tonight! Woooo! Sneak preview! :)

Since I'm home for Thanksgiving, my parents and I are going together, so it should be fun at least. It looks good--I, personally, am a Tom Cruise fan and the trailers look very epic-ish. So, we'll see.

I'll fill ya in on my thoughts when I get back. ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 29th, 2003, 03:59:25 PM
There's a sneak preview tonight here too, but I'm going to a hockey game. We get to throw teddy bears on the ice after they score the first goal. >D /offtopic

jan
Nov 30th, 2003, 11:31:18 AM
I wouldn't underestimate this film by analyzing from the trailers. This film has some of the best camera shots in terms of cinematography aspects. The storytelling is fabulous, leaving Cruise's Algren to tell the story of what actually happened to the Last Samurai community in Japan. Cruise's character was plunged into the scene to rid the Emperor's 'enemies,' but landed in a situation when he learns about this group's cultures and actually becomes the eyewitness to their being wiped out. Cruise's fans will be pleased with his performances.

I saw this film and was very pleased with it. Even the battle scenes leave the audience to a good study of every character's facial emotions - much better presented than the chaotic mess in The Two Towers. Oh yes, I love this film a lot and I'll be surprised to see it without several Oscar nominations. Overall, the performances of all the actors are great... real emotional performances rather than getting camera shots of their 'pretty people' images.

Figrin D'an
Nov 30th, 2003, 12:06:18 PM
Edward Zwick, the film's director, is a huge fan of a Akira Kurosawa's work, and wanted to make a film in a mold similar to the legendary director's films, so I'm fairly optimisitic about this.

Originally posted by Ardath Bey
I think the cinematography will be excellent and surpassing quality. But Tom Cruise's character resembles the essence of an old Western/Epic Hollywood cliche. Only instead of Mexico or a Navajo or Apache badland or in an ancient civilization, it is set in 19th century Japan.

So? This is exactly the essence of Yojimbo, which is an excellent film. It pulled off the "spaghetti western in 1860's Japan" angle so well, that Sergio Leone basically remade it a few years later as a pure western, A Fistful of Dollars.

But, I suppose we'll see. I'm optimisitic that I will be entertained. I'm not expecting it to match the films it looks to mimic, but I think it'll be a worthwhile show.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 30th, 2003, 01:01:18 PM
Adath Bay does not like spaghetti westerns in other settings. See thread: "Kill Bill"

TCM'74
Nov 30th, 2003, 04:09:26 PM
The Last Samurai was quite an daunting task for Director Zwick. A $140-million epic which was filmed over 120 day shoot at locations on three continents not to mention hundreds of Japanese extras, costumes, and props flown into New Zealand. It has already drawn comparisions to Shane and Dances with Wolves. Ed Zwick and co-writer John Logan have confessed that Lawrence of Arabia largely helped fashion and inspire the film.

I really have not much more to say about The Last Samurai until I go see it. Only now I go with greater tongue-in-cheek cynicism than ever before. Shane, Dances with Wolves, Kurosawa's classic work, and Lawrence of Arabia -- a daunting task indeed. To recapture the power held by these film, very much so. I am already dizzied with disbelief.

Oi yeah, Kill Bill was a thoroughly wasted novelty full of mishandled material. Instead of using the masterful elegance of a surgical scalpal, Quinton Tarantino charged through it in maniacal glee armed with a chainsaw. Leaving quite the train wreck in his wake. After viewing Kill Bill, I sorely needed a on-site psychiatrist for the mental trauma and an onsite chiropractor for the physical whiplash. Misery is this film and this film is misery.

Figrin D'an
Nov 30th, 2003, 05:54:44 PM
Originally posted by TCM'74
Leaving quite the train wreck in his wake. After viewing Kill Bill, I sorely needed a on-site psychiatrist for the mental trauma and an onsite chiropractor for the physical whiplash. Misery is this film and this film is misery.

From this moment, you are officially dubbed "The King of Hyperbole."

Congrats. That was a title that Jonathan once held at these boards. I wasn't sure anyone could take it away, but you've managed to.

TCM'74
Nov 30th, 2003, 07:56:39 PM
This Jonathan again. Well, thanks! :\

I am not sure if I want that distinction seeing how our viewpoints (http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6544&perpage=20&highlight=braveheart&pagenumber=1) differ radically.

Charley
Dec 1st, 2003, 03:35:42 AM
There can be clownshoes on opposite sides of the spectrum. Take Jerry Falwell vs Al Sharpton. This is just another example.

Thanks for asserting your stance on Kill Bill again. Seem to have misplaced it before.

/Hijack

TCM'74
Dec 1st, 2003, 10:34:28 AM
Right. Charley. :\

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 1st, 2003, 11:41:46 AM
Sorry I brought up Kill Bill, it's my fault. :(

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 2nd, 2003, 03:06:06 PM
The Last Samurai ROCKED! :)

Thoroughly good, probably the best movie I've seen in a long, long time. I might get skewered for saying this, but it's up there with Braveheart and the likes. The epics. It was wondeful in every way! :D

I would encourage anyone and everyone to see it, as soon as you can. It had all the good elements to a classic epic: honor, character development, beautiful landscape, awesome, awesome costuming and armor work (the samurai armor looks incredible), and a great story. It's worth the money.

I don't wanna say much about it because I think it is best discovered first hand. If you liked Braveheart or Gladiator (not to mention Glory, since it was directed by the same guy) and you appreciate the 'epic' style of movie, you'll really like it. :)

TCM'74
Dec 4th, 2003, 12:53:36 AM
Can't see the film til later this week. :(

Doubt The Last Samurai (with it's difficult premise) can hold a candle to Akira Kurosawa's classics or Hiroshi Inagaki's Samurai trilogy though. Both directors contributed seminal works on this subject matter. Great foreign directors. Highly recommend their films (well those that I have seen anyways).

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Dec 4th, 2003, 05:34:49 AM
Oh, of one thing I am certain, The Last Samurai will be more entertaining than The Hidden Fortress. Even though it's a Kurosawa film, it is dreadfully dull, and visibly not one of his best efforts.

The rest of my post I will hide in a spoiler mask, lest it possibly give something away, but it contains nothing other than what I ahve deduced from watching the televison commercials and the one theatrical trailer for it I have seen. If you have seen those, then this next part is safe for you.

In another aspect, I have a question about the validity of the plot of The Last Samurai. From what I can tell only by watching the ads, Tom Cruise was a general of sorts who was hired by the Emperor to train new troops, but ended up getting captured by the other side, and then they accept him and he helps them.

There is one gaping problem with this plot development that I hope the film can explain to my satisfaction. In Feudal Japan, when you were taken prisoner, you lost ALL your honor, and every right you once posessed. You became sub-human, and were not worthy ofd hardly anything except slave work and bad treatment, no matter what your status was before. Now, couple that with Tom Cruise being a white man in a land that had for a good deal of time a law to kill any whites that entered the country, as they were a threat to all of Japan. This law was frightfully well upheld for a long time,a nd I believe the tradition would have been engrained in the minds of those who captured Tommy, even if the law had been repealed by that time. So, not only should he never have been considered to even help them, but they should ahve had an innate hatred of him as well.

But, as the commercials tell us, they DO accept him, and even are willign to give him a sword. A SWORD. Do you know what that means? At that point in time, as it had been for hundreds of years, only those of the Bushi class, or warrior class were even permitted to posess swords, let alone learn how to use them. The sword was the samurai's soul, and was never a thing to be taken lightly. To take a white prisoner and give him a sword, no matter how poor its condition might be, would be absolutely unthinkable in the minds of most Japanese at the time.

Ah, but it gets better. He is trained in one of the classic sword styles, which is also something reserved for only the Japanese, and is protected with a huge amount of security. Certain sword schools were known to go and ambush other rival schools if they feared that the other school had stolen some of their moves or secrets. So, we have a white prisoner who is given a sword, and taught Japanese family secrets. This plot is losing credibility very quickly, friends. Then he gets armor, and is placed in the lead in battle. What are the Japanese smoking? The armor is most likely taken from a fallen warrior, which--unless it was donated to him from a family member of that fallen warrior--would be considered grave robbing and is punishable by death, immediately. Swords weren't the only prized thing, armor was also very personal.

But for all my rants, I still want to see the movie, and hopefull enjoy it. But I'll tell you, if Tom pulls a Morpheus and holds that katana in his left hand, I will be sorely disappointed.

By the way, TCM, the Samurai trilogy is not great. They are decent films, but hardly something to be compared against, unless you are comparing against Toshiro Mifune's prowess with a sword on screen. Though you must atmit he was far better in Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and The Seven Samurai.

TCM'74
Dec 4th, 2003, 03:06:12 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed The Hidden Fortress, thought it was a great film. Maybe not equal to Ran, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, and Sanjuro. And I loved the lead lady Misa Uehara as Princess Yuki. Great flick. The worst film I have ever seen of Kurosawa's is the dreadful Kagemusha. Terrible film.

I loved the Inagaki's Samurai trilogy too and feel it is the Japanese cinema equivalent to the American western (like those John Ford/John Wayne, Anthony Mann/James Stewart collaborations). Toshira Mifune rocked as Musashi Miyamoto and did an excellent performance too. Personally found it to be nearly equal with the best of Kurosawa. One thing I love most about Japanese cinema such as this is the conflicted characters and the film's play on morality/amorality.

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 4th, 2003, 06:52:51 PM
Well, Sej, I will tell ya this, without ruining anything in the movie. However, as it is somewhat descriptive, I'm spoiler masking it just for safety.

I don't know much about Japenese history, let alone the samurai, but the movie exhibits much of what you just said. Basically, it comes down to this: Everything you mentioned is pretty much true about everyone in the movie--except one person, which I guess is the point. Obviously, if what you said happened to Tommy, we wouldn't have much of a movie. :)

But, I think it follows your guidelines fairly well, minus that single aspect. However, on the defensive, the explanation behind why he is accepted is somewhat buyable. Perhaps you would like it better or be more willing to accept it when you see it--which I highly encourage you to do. Though I don't know much about the history, I am usually a stickler on realism, and it's pretty realistic overall. I dunno, just my opinion, but they presented it well.

Nathanial K'cansce
Dec 5th, 2003, 07:50:09 PM
Not one to write up reviews or whatever, but I must say it is one of the best films I have ever seen. Ever.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 6th, 2003, 03:40:05 PM
I concur with Nathanial. The Last Samurai totally blew me away. It's long, about 2.5 hours, but well worth it. I agree with Terran, it's on par with Braveheart, and just above Gladiator in my mind. I'll have to watch those two again to be sure. :mischief

Sejah Haversh
Dec 7th, 2003, 01:18:28 PM
In the words of Strong Bad, "Holy holy holy holy holy crap!" WOW that movie was great! And I mean absolutely great!

The Last Samurai took the theme od the heroic ideal to its higest level, and has now tied with Lawrence of Arabia in the categorey of "Best movie ever made" in my book. Wow, the historical accuracy, the acting, and the warfare were immaculate.

Every one of my points I raised earlier were dealt with, and in an incredibly acceptable manner. I was shocked at Tom Cruise's incredibly human performance, and awed by everything else. The store was great, and overall The Last Samurai was able to edge out Kagemusha as my favorite Japanese battle film.

I don't care what you say, TCM, Kagemusha was a grand, spectacular film that celebrated the Japanese point of view about all that it covered. That, and the camerawork and framing was beautiful, especially if you are a fan of Japanese art. In Kagemusha, Kurosawa used the same angles and scenes as can be found in many art pieces of the time. It was a visually stunning film, and even though it is long and dry, it carries the story extremely well, and shows the transformation that can occur in a man when honor sets in. For those of you who have now seen The Last Samurai, I reccomend seeing both "Kagemusha" and "The Seven Samurai." They can both be found in yout video store's foreign film section.

The Last Samurai gets five stars in my book, and was absolutely breathtaking. May Master and Commander hit an iceberg and sink like the Titanic, I found TLS to be a far, far superior film.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 7th, 2003, 03:13:38 PM
Originally posted by Sejah Haversh
In the words of Strong Bad, "Holy holy holy holy holy crap!" WOW that movie was great! And I mean absolutely great!
.... For those of you who have now seen The Last Samurai, I reccomend seeing both "Kagemusha" and "The Seven Samurai." They can both be found in yout video store's foreign film section.

.....May Master and Commander hit an iceberg and sink like the Titanic, I found TLS to be a far, far superior film.

I'm so glad you liked it Sejah!! I thought that they handled the points you'd raised very well, but I wasn't sure. I was hoping that you were satisfied with it. :D

And I might just rent those two movies and take a look see. My boyfriend is crazy about The Last Samurai, so he'd probably be interested in those as well.

TCM'74
Dec 7th, 2003, 03:42:48 PM
Originally by Sejah Haversh

I don't care what you say, TCM, Kagemusha was a grand, spectacular film that celebrated the Japanese point of view about all that it covered. That, and the camerawork and framing was beautiful, especially if you are a fan of Japanese art. In Kagemusha, Kurosawa used the same angles and scenes as can be found in many art pieces of the time. It was a visually stunning film, and even though it is long and dry, it carries the story extremely well, and shows the transformation that can occur in a man when honor sets in. For those of you who have now seen The Last Samurai, I reccomend seeing both "Kagemusha" and "The Seven Samurai." They can both be found in yout video store's foreign film section.

Kagemusha is a very slow film and plods on and on and on. It does explore eastern philosophy and does a great job with the historical aspects. But the poor editing and pointless meanderings completely diluted the power of the movie's message. It bored me to tears and really did not challenge me mentally. Despite Kagemusha's potential the film succeeding in lulling me into fitless ticks and restless wanderings of my own. The film really tries one's patience level such as Hiroshi Inagaki's Chushingura.

Telan Desaria
Dec 9th, 2003, 08:22:43 PM
One thing - the samuari were not despised in turn of the century Japan but prized. It is they and their tradition that lead the Imperial armies to victory over Russia in 1904 and 5. They were extent in the first and present in the second.

Never were they hunted.

Charley
Dec 9th, 2003, 08:33:33 PM
Yeah but this is also historical fiction, and takes place 30 years earlier than those events. If you think a Gaijin is going to become the Emperor's new samurai buddy, you might need a history lesson.

All told, this movie is fantastic. An absolutely wonderful movie experience. Just behind Kill Bill as my favorite flick of the year.

TCM'74
Dec 9th, 2003, 11:23:21 PM
No, there was some real historical inspirations taken by the movie, The Last Samurai : The Life and Battles of Saigo Takamori. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471089702/qid=1071032774/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-2455595-9089703?v=glance&s=books) Ken Wanatabe's character was largely based off of Saigo Takamori. But of course much of the historical truths and facts were largely ignored and rewritten by Hollywood.

Figrin D'an
Dec 9th, 2003, 11:33:42 PM
But of course much of the historical truths and facts were largely ignored and rewritten by Hollywood.

Hence the term "historical fiction."

TCM'74
Dec 10th, 2003, 02:29:03 AM
You missed the point of my post, The Last Samurai was inspired and based quite literally off a real Samurai uprising 1877 called the Satsuma Rebellion in which 40,000 Samurai led by Saigo Takamori revolted against Emperor Meiji and an Imperial Army consisting of peasantry numbering 60,000 trained by foreign envoys in the modern weapons and technology. After a brief and bloody battle, the Samurai were crushed culminating with Saigo being wounded and subsequently committing seppeku.

Here are a couple of links that examine the events leading up to the Meiji Restoration and the Satsuma Rebellion.

Edo (http://www3.sympatico.ca/iaido/edo2.htm)

SHIN SHINTO HISTORICAL BACKGROUND (1772-1925) (http://www.northerntokensociety.co.uk/shinhis.html)

--Saigo Takamori [aka Saigo Kichinosuke] (1827-1877)

Saigo Takamori a giant of a man also known as Saigo the Great, quintessential samurai who cherished the words 'Love mankind, revere heaven', commander of the revolutionary Satsuma forces who would crush the Tokugawa Shogunate was born the first son of an impoverished petty samurai, in Kagoshima, the castle town of the Satsuma domain. Like Katsu Kaishu, Sakamoto Ryoma and other great men of the Meiji Restoration, Saigo grew up in relative obscurity. Fortunately, however, for Satsuma and the entire Japanese nation, the Lord of Satsuma, Shimazu Nariakira, a radical reformer, innovator and great historical figure in his own right, was able and willing to recognize genius even among even his lowest-ranking vassals. In 1854, Lord Nariakira recruited Saigo to accompany him to Edo as his close confidant. Thirteen years later, at the eve of the restoration, Saigo, now commander of an imperial army fifty thousand strong, was the most powerful man in Japan. While Kaishu is credited with convincing Saigo to abandon his war plans, and thus avoid a devastating civil war and the very real danger of foreign subjugation, Kaishu himself attributed his success to Saigo's magnanimity.

Saigo served as a leader of the new Meiji government in Tokyo, occupying the high posts of state councilor and army general. Amidst the national debate revolving around the divisive Korean Question, Saigo offered to first travel to Korea as an envoy. He was prepared to be assassinated to provide Japan with an excuse for attacking and subjugating Korea, before a Western power could do the same. When his former allies in the government opposed his plan, Saigo resigned in 1873 and returned to his native Kagoshima. In the following year he established a private academy in Kagoshima for the soldiers and government officials, all former samurai, who followed him. This founding father of the modern Japanese nation would now become the leader of disgruntled ex-samurai who opposed the rapid modernization of Japan, on which they blamed the demise of the samurai class. In 1877 Saigo died by his own hand as the leader of the Satsuma Rebellion, the last of a series of regional revolts by ex-samurai opposing the Meiji government.--

Sejah Haversh
Dec 10th, 2003, 02:31:37 AM
Actually, I think he nailed the point of your post on the head.

TCM'74
Dec 10th, 2003, 02:35:28 AM
Well my original post was in response to Telan and Charley's last one. The whole premise of The Last Samurai and this Samurai uprising in 19th century Japan was not strictly cooked up by Hollywood. There is some very strong historical ties.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 10th, 2003, 02:40:53 AM
Who the frell cares? I just want tot know if Last Samuri is worth my money to watch. as the answer is YES, I'm going to go have a look and damn the historical inaccuracies.

If I wanterd history, I'll read a bloody textbook

TCM'74
Dec 10th, 2003, 03:52:32 AM
lol @ Marcus. Whatever. The truth stands, yes Samurai were hunted during the throwing down of the Tokugawa Shogunate 1866-68 which Saigo regrettably assisted under Prince Arisugawa, and later during the Satsuma Rebellion of 1877 which Saigo led. Ironically it was Prince Arisugawa that besieged Saigo's castle in Satsuma that ended the rebellion.

Figrin D'an
Dec 10th, 2003, 08:05:23 AM
You missed the point of my post, The Last Samurai was inspired and based quite literally off a real Samurai uprising 1877 called the Satsuma Rebellion in which 40,000 Samurai led by Saigo Takamori revolted against Emperor Meiji and an Imperial Army consisting of peasantry numbering 60,000 trained by foreign envoys in the modern weapons and technology. After a brief and bloody battle, the Samurai were crushed culminating with Saigo being wounded and subsequently committing seppeku.

I think I grasped the point of your post just fine. I'm merely pointing out that, despite your rantings about the basis of one of the main characters and perhaps certain generalized aspects of the story, we still have a film that, while loosely based upon historical fact, takes great liberties with such fact. It's called artistic liscense. Just about every filmmaker uses it.

Loosely based in fact? Definately.
Meant to be an actual history? Not at all.

Thus the term "historical fiction."

JMK
Dec 10th, 2003, 09:07:49 AM
Exactly.
Stop wishing for complete faithfullness to history. You ALREADY know what happens. How lame would that movie be if you knew it inside and out before it was even written?

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 10th, 2003, 03:11:42 PM
:lol like Lord of the Rings. :p

Mark - definetely go see The Last Samurai. A *must* see.

TCM'74
Dec 10th, 2003, 04:38:58 PM
I wrote those posts in order to dispute any impressions some may of had -- that a Samurai upheaval against the Emperor and Imperial Japan -- was completely fabricated by Hollywood. No, it wasn't. History offers an authentic incident during 19th Century Japan. And it served as inspiration for the completely fictitious The Last Samurai.

CMJ
Dec 20th, 2003, 09:28:28 PM
I got back from TLS about an hour ago. I actually had many doubts entering the theater, but I must say I was very, very impressed. I'm not sure it's as good as 'Glory', but this definitely puts Zwick back on the map as far as I'm concerned.

Nice performances all around, and I must say some killer dialogue. Terrific cinematography - Toll continues to amaze. A little melodramatic at the very end, but nonetheless incredibly moving and worthwhile.

One of the best films of the year, no doubt.

Darth Viscera
Jan 5th, 2004, 09:37:17 AM
As with Dances with Wolves, I simply couldn't bring myself to identify with the main character in this movie. For 2 hours and 30 minutes, I waited and waited and waited for the Samurai to give some reason for why they were fighting so desperately against the modernisation of Japan. Was it the intention of the filmmaker that the viewer walk into the theater with the mindset of "lol progress is dum, hurr hurr"? Had I been raging valiantly against the machine prior to seeing this movie, I'm sure I would've enjoyed it more.

JMK
Jan 8th, 2004, 10:58:28 AM
I agree somewhat with Viscera. I couldn't grasp what the Samurai were clinging to. And I found the end, as CMJ said a little melodramatic. Personally I thought it was slightly over romanticised. I ignored whatever the history of the Samurai is (though I do have a hard time believing that Cruise's character could become one of them) and watched the movie. And to be honest, despite all of my 'problems' with it, I really really liked this movie a lot. It certainly didn't feel like 2.5 hours. The action was terrific and the camera work was even better, if you're like me and you took way to long to see it, go check it out before it exits the theaters.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 17th, 2004, 07:15:00 AM
The film is still abit of a distant away, opening Dec. 5. But why am I creating thread for a movie I already despise? Because I feel like discussing it and hearing other people's opinions. The premise is preposterous and the images from the trailer so telling. The worst of all is seeing the image of an elvish Tom Cruise mounted on horseback in full samurai regalia. What I gather from the trailer is Tom's character is an cynical Civil War veteran hired by the Japanese to train their army regulars but encounters a samurai rebellion. Whom capture Cruise and teach him Far East philosphies, and make a new bred Gaijin warrior out of him. Please give me Clavell's Shogun television production instead of this abhorration.

Maybe I should wait to view the movie but looks too atrocious and the condiments far too expensive to blow a lincoln and half buck.

I dont care if this guy got banned - I have to say this.

You sir are an complete and utter idiot. Your film taste sucks. You know nothing, you deserve a smiting. The Last Samurai, which I saw tonight is damn brilliant. I lvoed it. It is a class act of a film. It really surprised my just how damn good it was.

Man, I am so glad you are gone. I am disgusted you could have said such nonsense.

BLOODY GOOD FILM! MUST SEE! Marcus actually was surprised just how well it delivered!

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2004, 07:16:28 AM
Hmm, might have to see this on Friday. This or Paycheck, suppose we'll see which has the best times :)

Charley
Jan 17th, 2004, 12:17:10 PM
Glad you liked it, Marcus.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 17th, 2004, 12:52:53 PM
Fett - go see it over Paycheck.

Sejah Haversh
Jan 18th, 2004, 02:32:53 AM
The Last Samurai is still my favorite film of 2003, even above RotK. Had I not read so much Usagi Yojimbo, or known so much about Japan already, I probably wouldn't have been so interested, but I was very, very impressed by it, and Cruise did a spectacular job in becoming his character.

I will wait to see if a special edition is released, and then buy that when it comes out on DVD.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 18th, 2004, 05:09:34 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Hmm, might have to see this on Friday. This or Paycheck, suppose we'll see which has the best times :)

Your even asking the question? No to Paycheck. Yes to Last samurai. No contest.

Strangely, as much as I loved ROTK and I do think ROTk is a superior film by a margin, I enjoyed Samurai more - because I was simply not expecting it to be as good as it was. It wasnt a CG fest either, which was delightful.

Now for Mystic river next week and Lost in Translation.

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:08:45 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Your even asking the question? No to Paycheck. Yes to Last samurai. No contest.
Im in an exam first, and want to get home. The choice isn't quality, it's wether Last Samurai has a go-able time :)

JediBoricua
Jan 19th, 2004, 10:53:31 PM
Saw it tonight, enjoyed it very much.

Good acting, good fighting, great cinematography.

Like Marcus, I hope it gets nominated.

Sejah Haversh
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:44:16 AM
The critics love Master & Commander more, for some reason that baffles the whole world except for film critics who are too full of themselves.

M&C sucked. The effects were great, the costuming was great, the story was poo in a bucket. With a decent plot, and better characters it could ahve been better, but The Last Samurai was a far superior film, in my opinion.

Sanis Prent
Jan 20th, 2004, 08:01:36 AM
Correct. Master and Commander was atrocious.

CMJ
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:22:37 AM
Nah, I thought they were pretty comperable in quality, though I give TLS a slight edge. I'm quite fond of both.

ReaperFett
Jan 20th, 2004, 06:05:12 PM
Gah! Just realised Scary Movie 3 is out on Firday too! I have to choose between sword fights, John Woo and Zcker/Nielson? LIFE HATES ME!!!!!

JediBoricua
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:22:11 PM
I enjoyed M&C more than TLS...

*hides behind a desk*

Sanis Prent
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:37:27 PM
Go back to the Galapagos then, you sissy.

JediBoricua
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:11:17 PM
Haven't been there, but I plan on doing so!

;)

Mu Satach
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:20:54 PM
Loved it...

simply beeyootiful.

ReaperFett
Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:54:04 AM
Saw it. Very very good. Don't know if it's great, but if it isn't it is nearly there.

Some slight things:

Billy Connelly's part should have been fleshed out more. Felt all but unnecesary.

Simon Graham (The English guy) was really well played. It was a shock to the system hearing the accent though, Timothy Spall having such a strong Brummie accent in real life.

Last fight, was I right in hearing Tom Cruise's character shout "BOB!" as the man he called Bob saved him? I laughed then, so sue me :)

JMK
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:07:57 AM
That Bob stuff was hilarious.