PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds are a girls best friend - or not..

Master Yoghurt
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:59:18 PM
This is an older article, but I thought it was a fascinating read. Gem quality diamonds are now being grown in machines for as low as $5 per carat. There are also plans to make diamond wafers for CPU's, due to the diamond's extraordinary abilities to resist heat. An 80ghz diamond processor has allready been tested. This may change the diamond industry forever.

Read all about it here:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html

AmazonBabe
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:44:34 PM
And the ironic thing is that when they "grow" the diamonds with machines, they naturally come out yellow, while in nature yellow diamonds are the rarest and more expensive than clear. :lol

Figrin D'an
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:31:58 PM
Originally posted by AmazonBabe
And the ironic thing is that when they "grow" the diamonds with machines, they naturally come out yellow, while in nature yellow diamonds are the rarest and more expensive than clear. :lol

"Gem quality" natural yellow diamonds are rare, thus making them more expensive. Yellow tinted diamonds are quite common. It's just molecular nitrogren trapped within the carbon lattice. This occurs in all diamonds, even ones that are labeled flawless.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:50:24 PM
It will be good to see the introduction of diamond tech into electronics and maybe the space elevator will become fact. Be good to see De Beers flattened as well.

Black Opal makes for better rock on a ring anyway.

Alpha
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:09:01 PM
ANY kind of opal looks better. :D

Figrin D'an
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:11:18 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
It will be good to see the introduction of diamond tech into electronics and maybe the space elevator will become fact. Be good to see De Beers flattened as well.

The other positive is that it will reduce the influence of "blood diamonds" on the black market. Undercutting prices isn't always a good thing, but in this case, I don't think anyone outside of De Beers and the carosel of corrupt dicators of African nations will really mind.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:28:33 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
The other positive is that it will reduce the influence of "blood diamonds" on the black market. Undercutting prices isn't always a good thing, but in this case, I don't think anyone outside of De Beers and the carosel of corrupt dicators of African nations will really mind.

Considering that De Beers have been artifically restricting diamond supply and using emotive tatics to brainwash people into thinking diamond rings actually mean anything, I certainly wont miss them. 5G for engagement rings is beyond a joke. Helen's cost me 170 AUD - it's not the frikking stone, its what it's for that's important. Hell, my wedding band was 108 AUD and is plain but I'll kill before I'll let that go.

Diamonds are just rocks and until the 50's had no real use. NMow, they might have some real value. De Beers have pulled one of the best scams in making the public believe diamonds have any worth as jewelery, especially as ridulous as the prices that they set.

Besides, a diamond isnt IMO anywhere near as beautiful as a black opal.

Nov 8th, 2003, 02:34:59 AM
Good gravy, I've seen pictures of some of DeBeers's diamond wherehouses. And I do mean wherehouses. Imagine your house, filled with diamonds, and multiply that by twenty.

Diamonds are incredibly plentiful, and there are millions of gem-quality ones just sitting there that DeBeers doesn't want you to know about.

Well, now you do.

Crystal
Nov 8th, 2003, 07:48:19 PM
I've never really like diamonds, or gold. Most of the time I don't like gems at all, just decorated silver stuff. Crystals are cheaper and clear like diamonds, so I'd go for them instead if I had to have something seethrough. But if I was going to spend aot of money on a gem, I'd want it to at least be COLORED. ;)

The yellow ones aren't too bad I suppose.. but I don't like yellow :uhoh

Charley
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:43:41 AM
Yeah I read this a month or so back. Good stuff.