PDA

View Full Version : Iraq: or how to win a war and lose peace

Dutchy
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:40:31 PM
Following the infamous War is Imminent (http://swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28148) topic (1200 posts).

Dutchy
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:42:17 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
Terrorism != Military action.

The harder to beat they are.

Pierce Tondry
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:45:54 PM
I really don't understand what you mean by that statement. Elaborate, please?

Dutchy
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:53:16 PM
Agent Charly is basically saying that currect incidents in Iraq are no organized military actions, but can be catagorized as terrorism.

It's safe to say that America can beat any military in the world, like the one in Iraq they beat half a year ago.

Terrorism is much harder to beat. Bin Laden is still out there and the post Iraq war gave more American deaths than the war itself.

Hence, terrorism is harder to beat than military action.

Charley
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:15:09 PM
Thus, the war is over. As I said, as others have said.

After-action operations are another matter entirely.

The problem is that there are a lot of laymans perceptions running amok, especially in the media.

Jedieb
Nov 5th, 2003, 08:38:26 PM
Guerilla warfare is a good description for the state of Iraq right now. Hell, it's about as accurate as calling the few weeks it took for the U.S. to steamroll through Iraq as a war. We're now an occupying force that's going to be under constant attacks. As long as there are a significant number of U.S. troops those soldiers will be walking bullseyes. Expecting these "coordinated" attacks to go away is about as realistic as expecting a complete end to violence in Israel. And when I say cooridinated, I'm quoting military personnel on the ground. Apparently, they're also being controlled by the media. :rolleyes

Charley
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:47:28 PM
Coordination doesn't imply an organized military force. The al Qaeda 9/11 attacks were coordinated as well. They're terrorist acts.

Dutchy
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:23:04 AM
Thus, the war is over. As I said, as others have said.

Rumsfeld did use the word 'war' again in his reaction after the chopper crash, though.

Coordination doesn't imply an organized military force. The al Qaeda 9/11 attacks were coordinated as well. They're terrorist acts.

And Bin Laden is still a free man. Terrorism is much harder to beat than a military force.

No matter what you call the current situation, even a layman can see things are not going like the administration would want to see.

Charley
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:17:09 PM
And?

You can't infer that things are going badly simply because all objectives haven't been reached at present. That's a naive way of thinking.

Dutchy
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:11:03 PM
Okay, here's your chance of telling why things are going GOOD.

Charley
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:41:07 PM
We've gotten one of the most notorious dictators in the world out of power and away from his screwed up country. That's a pretty damn good set right there. Even if he remains in-country, he is on the run, and out of a position of influence. Still gotta get him, true, but such can take time.

JMK
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:55:49 PM
Exactly, how is having Hussein on the lam not seen as a good thing? A really good thing.

Dutchy
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:43:26 PM
May 1st Saddam's power went down. Definitely a good thing and one of this year's most impressive TV-images with his statue going down and all.

But that was then, and this is now. I was asking about how things are going good NOW.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:04:18 PM
But that was then, and this is now. I was asking about how things are going good NOW. Why don't you read some news and make up your own mind?

IMO this thread is a giant troll.

Charley
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:04:05 PM
Yes, it is. I need to stop baiting trolls. Another bad habit of mine.

Figrin D'an
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:05:38 PM
Maybe the predecessor to this thread being closed is a sign that the discussion should be halted until there is something of legitimate substance upon which to comment.

JMK
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:03:03 PM
Your wish is my command.